Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

If your Foobar music is getting captured as part of the game audio, try switching Foobar to a different output plugin and/or device. If you're using DirectSound for Foobar maybe try using WASAPI instead, and if you're using WASAPI then try DirectSound.

For getting rid of sound from a mechanical keyboard, I'll recommend getting a barrier to place between the keyboard and microphone. Having the mic very close to the mouth can help improve signal/noise ratio, since the signal (your voice) will be louder than the noise (keyboard clacking). The only way a different microphone can help with this is if it has some sort of active noise cancelling, by having another microphone pointing away from you that captures the ambient noise and cancels that out from the main signal. High-end headsets are the most likely to have this, but they will typically be intended for telephony and not broadcast/production, audio-quality-wise.

Non-exclusive ASIO works for removing the music from ShadowPlay captures without breaking anything else but I haven't figured out how to get ventrilo out of it without using 2 VAC audio repeaters. At least I don't have to use dxtory anymore.

We recorded with audacity and cleaned the hiss out nicely... I still have the keyboard clacking in mine though. Think I'm just going to have to get a ModMic to solve that problem. Syncing it is a bit tedious but doable. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey folks, I got a question for the MeGui users round here.

I just updated to the newest version of MeGui, and a lot has changed compared to what I was using before. I normally do my editing in Sony Vegas Pro 12, and then use the Debugmode frameserver to serve my project into MeGui for the rendering. Now, with the new version I can't seem to render anything anymore because MeGui gives me a fatal error.

It says "Fatal Error, attempted to read or write protected memory". It also says something about it probably being a sign for memory damage, but that's bullshit because it was working fine yesterday. I doubt that my PC memory breaks overnight while the machine is turned off. Also, it would show while I'm doing othr things. Now, I found two threads that discussed that same problem, and the users said they fixed it by removing useless AVIsynth filters, but that doesn't help me because I'm not really using AVIsynth in the first place. The frameserver just makes a signpost that counts as an AVIsynth script and can therefore be used by MeGui. So wtf? I was running MeGui as an admin so it can't be a user control thingy imo. I realize that it's a very specific problem, but it never hurts to ask :v:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
"Fatal Error, attempted to read or write protected memory" is a fancy way of saying "crashed."

So presumably something is crashing.

Try a completely fresh install of MeGUI and see if that fixes it? I've had the MeGUI updater trash MeGUI before where the only way to resolve it was to start with a fresh copy.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thing is I deleted my old MeGui folder because my version was too old to properly update to the new one. And I then got the fresh zip from sourceforge for the current version. Could be that some file somewhere still floats in my system though. Unlikely, but I'll investigate.

E: What could also be a cause is the the "new" way that MeGui now handles the different settings for the one click encoder. Previously, all I had to do was set up the encoder and that's it. Now the tabs have become more complex and maybe one option somewhere fucks everything up? Argh, I hate setting up new software.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 16, 2014

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately I've never tried to use MeGUI with Sony Vegas, so I really can't offer anything beyond generic help. The error message you're getting is unhelpfully vague as well.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Short update on the MeGui front: I can almost render something lol

So, instead of just opening the signpost like before, I now have to open it with the AVS script creator that's built into MeGui. Then I have the same options as in my old version, and can set it up. Problem is, at the end I only have input for the video and the audio tab stays empty. Oh, and it also just crashes when I then try to render said video input.

Here's a protip: Never update anything as long as it's still working fine.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
the AVS script creator in MeGUI disables audio by default for reasons that i have never quite understood, make sure you edit the script to remove the audio=false line

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Wow that's retarded. Okay, one more step down. No I only have to find out why it still gives me the same fatal error as before!

E: Shout-out to judge reinhold for helping me with gettin my old stuff back. gently caress your new version, MeGui

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 17, 2014

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

So, someone walk me through installing the multi-platform version of OBS on Mac OSX 10.9. Here are the instructions from the install text file:

quote:

Mac OSX
- Use macports or homebrew and install FFmpeg, x264, Qt5, and cmake.

NOTE: Qt5 can also be downloaded/installed via the Qt website, though keep
in mind that you will have to set the QTDIR environment variable to the
Qt5 build base directory.

- In a terminal, go to the obs-studio directory create a 'build' sub
directory and change to it, then to build, type: cmake .. && make

- It builds in a modular structure by default. To run it via terminal, go to
build/rundir/RelWithDebInfo/bin, then type ./obs to run.

NOTE: If you are running via command prompt, you *must* be in the 'bin'
directory specified above, otherwise it will not be able to find its files
relative to the binary.

- To create an app bundle instead, use the command: make package
This will create a .dmg file with an app bundle inside.

Mostly, it comes down to me not knowing how to work Terminal.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The instructions you're looking at are for compiling OBS on Mac OS X. It looks like they already offer a binary download on https://obsproject.com/.

Just download the ZIP, unzip it, and use the OBS inside of it.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Well, that's what happens when I only look at the front page. :v: Thanks!

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Mico posted:

the AVS script creator in MeGUI disables audio by default for reasons that i have never quite understood, make sure you edit the script to remove the audio=false line

Tin Tim posted:

Wow that's retarded. Okay, one more step down. No I only have to find out why it still gives me the same fatal error as before!

E: Shout-out to judge reinhold for helping me with gettin my old stuff back. gently caress your new version, MeGui

Generally the workflow for avisynth is to extract the audio separately and work on it in audacity, plus the main thing of MeGUI is to manage the video and audio tracks separately so that's probably what they were going for. If you're using the audio track of an avs script then it will auto-detect that in the script. As for the script creator, I wouldn't recommend it beyond getting your bearings for a good default avs script for a particular recording type and maybe the trim editor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have a real dumb question. I bought a Blue Snowball because I was tired of the crappy quality mic on my headset, and... where do I put the drat thing on my desk? I haven't ever used a desktop mic for recording before. If I put it right in front of me, it's also near the keyboard and thus it picks up on my key presses. Will it work anywhere as long as it's relatively close and I point it at myself, or will that have weird side effects?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you're willing to throw more money at a microphone, I believe the Snowball uses a standard thread for mounting on the tripod it comes with, so you could buy a gooseneck with desk-clamp to hang it e.g. above or besides your monitor.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So quick question. I recorded a game that has black bars in the game itself (ie, I cropped 22 pixels from the top/bottom and 38 from right/left to reduce it to just the game footage), but in doing so obviously it's no longer 720p footage so it won't get HD encoding. Is there any significant difference between the bajillion resizing filters, or can I just use Bilinear to stretch it back to 1280x720 and call it a day?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
If the black bars are small enough (and it sounds like they are in this case), I wouldn't really worry about cropping them out and just leave them as-is.

Back in the days of analog TVs, there was a safe area around which TV producers could be guaranteed that content would be visible on all TVs. With HD TVs, you'd think that would no longer be necessary, but quite a few HD TVs "zoom in" on a non-existent "safe area" in HD content anyway (at least by default).

Since there's a chunk of space around the screen that may simply not be visible, some games simply don't bother rendering to it in an effort to eek out the most FPS they possibly can.

The problem is that if you do crop them out and resize up, you're only going to succeed in making the entire video blurry. Don't do that.

Just leave them as-is.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
For an admittedly quite drastic illustration of what cropping and then backsizing a small border does to a frame look at these:

http://lpix.org/1775113/example4original.png
http://lpix.org/1775114/example4scaled.png

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

For an admittedly quite drastic illustration of what cropping and then backsizing a small border does to a frame look at these:

Ow, my eyes. Thanks.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Jesus, okay yeah, point taken. The borders are a small annoyance compared to that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Darn, my dreams of Let's Playing Infinite Checkers without 1080p hardware are squashed now. Thanks, jerkface.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
If it's just a few pixels it's really not noticeable unless you're playing a game with pixel graphics.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Mico posted:

If it's just a few pixels it's really not noticeable unless you're playing a game with pixel graphics.

My FIDELITY

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
How would you feel if I erased YOUR pixels buddy?????

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mico posted:

Likewise, if it's just a few pixels, it's absolutely not worthwhile to completely destroy your video in order to avoid having a tiny border around the image that no one is going to notice unless someone points it out.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
With SSLP's is it okay to keep things to their original size or is it better to scale up pictures? For example, the Nintendo DS has a small screen so ultimately what you see is:

Or would something like this be better?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The second is better, but you need to turn off resampling while resizing (or select "nearest neighbor", or whatever the option is called in your program of choice). See how blurry it is compared to the source image?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

If the game uses pixel-wide graphics then use Nearest Neighbor (no interpolation) with integer rescales (2x, 3x, or 4x) and save as png. You got most of them right but you should disable interpolation to get this:

And yeah scaling them up 2x is better.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate the example picture too.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
So if people want to have a guest commentator for a single player game that doesn't have coop, then I assume they need some form of screen share.

Anything is recommended?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

VivaVizer posted:

So if people want to have a guest commentator for a single player game that doesn't have coop, then I assume they need some form of screen share.

Anything is recommended?
Probably streaming is your best option if you want to do live commentary (though obviously there will be a delay), and I'd say OBS is the best route for that and whatever streaming site you prefer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I render a lower quality version of the video for the co-commentator to watch (usually only a couple hundred MB so it's easier for them to DL, but still HQ enough that they can make out what's happening easily too) and then upload it to mediafire or similar. That way we can sync our audio easier.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

VivaVizer posted:

Anything is recommended?

my recommendation is to do post commentary and send a low bitrate version over dropbox.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

VivaVizer posted:

Anything is recommended?

For live commentary I use OBS to stream my capture software's "preview" window to a private channel on hitbox, which the guest commentators watch. We chat via skype and record our commentary locally using audacity, which they send to me afterwards for combining/editing.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hello people that do video Let's Plays, I need your help. I've done things similar to, but not exactly like, live streaming, so I need some help scaling up if that makes sense.

Is there a program out there that you've used and would recommend that take pictures from a webcam every minute or so? I'm not looking for something to break a video into every-minute pictures.

How well does XSplit handle multiple audio inputs, like 3+ microphones? Also regarding XSplit, can I use two different computers logged into the same Twitch account to edit the stream?

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
I'm having problems with a missing index on an avi file. I ran out of hard drive space while recording and trying to open the file in Virtualdubmod gives me the message "AVI: Index not found or damaged - reconstructing via file scan" and the first 360 frames of the recording. Playing it in VLC I get everything until the last few minutes. I can do without those, but is there any way to salvage the rest of the recording? Google suggested reencoding with VLC but that didn't help anything.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

madeupfred posted:

How well does XSplit handle multiple audio inputs, like 3+ microphones?

You should be mixing your inputs together locally before feeding them into XSplit. Either use Virtual Audio Cable or if you have a proper audio setup mix all your inputs together into a mixer and feed to output into your PC. I'm not sure if XSplit will allow you to set multiple audio inputs at once since iirc it has no internal mixer for multiple devices.

madeupfred posted:

Also regarding XSplit, can I use two different computers logged into the same Twitch account to edit the stream?

What do you mean by "edit the stream"?

madeupfred posted:

Is there a program out there that you've used and would recommend that take pictures from a webcam every minute or so? I'm not looking for something to break a video into every-minute pictures.

Okay, you've lost me. What?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

SovietPotatoe posted:

I'm having problems with a missing index on an avi file. I ran out of hard drive space while recording and trying to open the file in Virtualdubmod gives me the message "AVI: Index not found or damaged - reconstructing via file scan" and the first 360 frames of the recording. Playing it in VLC I get everything until the last few minutes. I can do without those, but is there any way to salvage the rest of the recording? Google suggested reencoding with VLC but that didn't help anything.

If VLC plays the file properly, you might be able to screen capture the VLC playback into a new file.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

SovietPotatoe posted:

I would try using FFmpegSource in AviSynth before anything else.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I'm working on starting an LP of an adventure game, and I'm using this tool I found online to draw maps. The tool can export as an image, creating a file on my disk with no extension, so I have no idea what it is. Furthermore, when I open the file myself, it turns out that the tool uses transparency, so the white lines which look just fine in the tool itself end up being white on a white background when I try to view them on my Windows machine. I've uploaded such a sample picture to LPix here: http://lpix.org/1781235/bad%20map , and the off-site test post thing indicates that it would actually look okay (http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20318 at the bottom). In my opinion this is workable, but I wanted some input from someone who knows what they're talking about.

(also I'm curious what format is that file actually. I'd assume PNG but I have no idea how to tell).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Yep, it's a PNG.

Easy enough to tell if you open it with a hex editor or Notepad++ or such, as all PNGs contain the letters "PNG" in the header.

As for the white line on transparent/white background bit, it should be easy enough to open it up in GIMP or Paint.net or some other image editing program which supports layers, and just toss a solid-color background layer underneath the map.