Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Torabi posted:

I bought twin motegi and started driving around on it with my indycar. Driving an indycar with a 360 controller is actually possible on this track, My best time was something like 29.3-29.4 seconds and while I did bump into walls and stuff I don't crash nearly as much as I did when I tried to drive on charlotte. Did I just somehow get better at driving or is the dw12 just not meant to be driven on charlotte? Because there I even managed to spin out on the straights, especially coming out of corners.

Seems like you're improving, unless perhaps the corners on motegi are better suited to a controller. I don't think it's an easier track to drive than Charlotte though, since (at least in my experience) you have to lift on 1 and 2 and brake into 3 and 4.

I'm sure iracing does have a patent on SR, but there must be other ways a game could incentive safe driving and punish crashing/contact/etc and I would think other games/sims would consider it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

KingShibby posted:

I hate Motegi, but I raced the DW12 at Charlotte in a hosted race last week and I was flat-out the whole way around. It felt like the Star Mazda races I did at Charlotte but faster.

Haven't played a lot on it but so far I really like it.

thehacker0 posted:

Seems like you're improving, unless perhaps the corners on motegi are better suited to a controller. I don't think it's an easier track to drive than Charlotte though, since (at least in my experience) you have to lift on 1 and 2 and brake into 3 and 4.

I'm sure iracing does have a patent on SR, but there must be other ways a game could incentive safe driving and punish crashing/contact/etc and I would think other games/sims would consider it.

The corners on motegi have a lot less banking compared to Charlotte and I used to spin out just as I got out of a corner where the track starts to even out. But I like the sound of me improving a lot more. :v:

And there has to be a way to get around the whole SR patent thing, if they have one. Just call it an XP system, you get XP from finishing well in a race and not causing incidents.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Torabi posted:

The corners on motegi have a lot less banking compared to Charlotte and I used to spin out just as I got out of a corner where the track starts to even out. But I like the sound of me improving a lot more. :v:

And there has to be a way to get around the whole SR patent thing, if they have one. Just call it an XP system, you get XP from finishing well in a race and not causing incidents.

I haven't tried Motegi with the DW-12 but tonight is my iRacing night in the basement!

While iRacing may not hold an official patent on the SR system, the biggest hurdle to implementing that kind of framework around another sim is a massive amount of

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Torabi posted:

Haven't played a lot on it but so far I really like it.

In terms of spinning at Motegi, the only place I ever have issues (i'm on a G27 btw) is out of turn 4 as you straighten out while hard on the gas. Usually I only get loose there after 20+ laps on a set of tires, but it's pretty common to see some sliding if not a spin or two towards the middle/end of a lower split race. Just something to keep in mind.

KingShibby posted:

I haven't tried Motegi with the DW-12 but tonight is my iRacing night in the basement!

While iRacing may not hold an official patent on the SR system, the biggest hurdle to implementing that kind of framework around another sim is a massive amount of

Not sure if you have driven it before in the old indycar, but apparently it has changed a bit. From what I hear guys talking about over voice comms, and from when I practiced it a bit last week, it seems that you used to be able to take turn 1+2 flat out.

Now I think you need to lift slightly to get the car to turn in (I usually just lift slightly off of full throttle just before the apex to keep the car on line as you accelerate out onto the straight). At least I do, and most people I talk to do something similar. I don't quite understand why it's changed, maybe weather or perhaps the patch notes indicate something

simble
May 11, 2004

Torabi posted:

I bought twin motegi and started driving around on it with my indycar. Driving an indycar with a 360 controller is actually possible on this track, My best time was something like 29.3-29.4 seconds and while I did bump into walls and stuff I don't crash nearly as much as I did when I tried to drive on charlotte. Did I just somehow get better at driving or is the dw12 just not meant to be driven on charlotte? Because there I even managed to spin out on the straights, especially coming out of corners.

You've definitely gotten better and I'm amazed how well you're able to drive with a controller. However, to bring you back down to Earth, that's 0.8 or so seconds off of race pace, and a full second off of a good qualifying run. Buy a drat wheel!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

With regards to T1/2 at Motegi, I think it's a combination of the new tire model and the fixed setup of the DW12.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

simble posted:

You've definitely gotten better and I'm amazed how well you're able to drive with a controller. However, to bring you back down to Earth, that's 0.8 or so seconds off of race pace, and a full second off of a good qualifying run. Buy a drat wheel!

Haha thanks. Yeah I have to get the dfgt. I'll get it in like two weeks.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Torabi posted:

Do you keep buying content one-at-a-time? Because there is a significant discount when buying in bulk. Sorry if you were already aware, but I'd hate to see someone miss out on it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Harveygod posted:

Do you keep buying content one-at-a-time? Because there is a significant discount when buying in bulk. Sorry if you were already aware, but I'd hate to see someone miss out on it.

I bought two cars and a track one at a time. Forgot about the 10% thing but there was like at least a week between my nascar truck purchase and my indycar. Could have saved like $4 or something but I'll survive for now. :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Loyalty discount holder checking in. :smug:

:smith:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Torabi posted:

I've never really played a lot of racing games until now but, the reason I went with iRacing was beccause of the SR system. Are there any other racing games out there that does that?
Not really, although the Race2Play site has some other features also seen in iRacing like protests and asking participants to race under their real names (though that isn't really enforceable) which in my experience cuts down on the idiocy a great deal.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
So how is the fixed Indy oval series compared to with the old car? I saw participation was still down for Milwaukee, so I'm assuming people still hate having to actually drive the thing. I might need some distraction from being slow and spinning with the 79 :smith:

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

KingShibby posted:

Yes iRacing is very expensive, but it's all about knowing when/where to spend your money. This really helps if you know exactly what car(s) you want to race, then tracks will follow. If you're into NASCAR then you'll only want to buy oval tracks. Or if you're into sportscars then you'd wanna avoid just about every oval except Indy and Daytona. Or if you're like me and obsessed with the DW-12 you'll wanna own every track they have which I do.

There are 3 main ways to save a great many :10bux:...

1. Buying credits in bulk and during sales

Once or twice a year iRacing offers bonus credits when you spend a certain amount. I bought $100 in iRacing credits for $75, so that's 2 free tracks right there.

2. Bulk purchasing content

Never buy just 1 or 2 items at a time. Always buy at least 3 or 6+ and save money!

3. Membership Specials

Best deal of all is their semi-annual deal for a 2-year subscription for $99 :eyepop: Absolutely Incredible
They usually do this deal around July 1st and Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Edit: Put that in the OP

Here is my current order history with a breakdown if you want it for the OP. Might be a good for new racers.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Lord Crapulus posted:

So how is the fixed Indy oval series compared to with the old car? I saw participation was still down for Milwaukee, so I'm assuming people still hate having to actually drive the thing. I might need some distraction from being slow and spinning with the 79 :smith:

It definitely seems different. At twin ring you have to lift in turns 1+2, and do some decently hard braking in 3+4 compared to the past. The past couple days of racing have been a shitshow of divebombing and overcooking into turns 3 and 4 at least in the lower splits.

DEMAG posted:

Here is my current order history with a breakdown if you want it for the OP. Might be a good for new racers.

Wow thats some pretty impressive discipline. The only track you bought for almost 4 years was Bristol? What series did you run in during that time?

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

thehacker0 posted:

It definitely seems different. At twin ring you have to lift in turns 1+2, and do some decently hard braking in 3+4 compared to the past. The past couple days of racing have been a shitshow of divebombing and overcooking into turns 3 and 4 at least in the lower splits.

Wow thats some pretty impressive discipline. The only track you bought for almost 4 years was Bristol? What series did you run in during that time?

The cars I bought with it.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

DEMAG posted:

The cars I bought with it.

I meant, with only 1 track plus the free ones, thats pretty limiting in what series you can run. I guess the short oval series run on the free tracks pretty often, which I didnt think of. Still pretty impressive for 4 years to only buy one track. I've probably spent as much as you in a couple weeks

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

thehacker0 posted:

Was Kentucky still flat out? I'm sure Michigan was and Milwaukee wasn't, I'm just curious about if the series is still mainly bricked pedal draft locked pack racing.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Michigan was still foot-flat all the way around, with an absolutely insane draft. Kentucky was an odd one. Your tires gripped for only about a dozen laps, after that if you attempted to go low the back end would get super loose and 90% of the time you'd be in the wall backwards. I think some people managed to get around it by lifting a bit as they got into the turn (lessened the load on the right rear I guess), but most people would just run the middle of the corner. I ran a 30-ish lap time trial at Kentucky and the RR tire wear was in the low 80's by the end.

Homestead looks to have the same setup problem. Your tires are good for sticking and running hard for around 9 laps, after that the car gets loose out of the corners.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 20, 2014

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I take it that streetstock series outside of Rookies isn't popular? I would get the track if I knew it was populated so I can drive a car I know rather well with a 360 controller before I eventually get a wheel.

I actually did a ghost race today trying to pretend that I could actually collide with the other cars. But full course cautions seems really overkill, somebody crashes and they have to take several pace laps.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I'm personally happy that twin ring is a bit more difficult. Definitely requires more driving but the main negative, at least in the first few days of the track rotation, is people overdriving their cars and causing loads of yellows. The lower splits I'm in have been particularly bad. Rarely get a lap or two in before the first safety car

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

thehacker0 posted:

I meant, with only 1 track plus the free ones, thats pretty limiting in what series you can run. I guess the short oval series run on the free tracks pretty often, which I didnt think of. Still pretty impressive for 4 years to only buy one track. I've probably spent as much as you in a couple weeks

When I started you could still run rookie ovals and the frequency of races for the late model sk and tour were much higher. Hourly I think, and they were always full. 2012 I really didn't run anything even though I subbed. When I came back in in 2013 I decided to move up and start the trek to A. Now I pretty much only run A and some B.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I still can't drive Motegi consistently. I haven't tried the fixed setup since I only wanna run Open races but I need to check out the iSpeed Lap Analyzer for Motegi...

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

KingShibby posted:

I still can't drive Motegi consistently. I haven't tried the fixed setup since I only wanna run Open races but I need to check out the iSpeed Lap Analyzer for Motegi...

I'm in a similar boat, although I have a bit on consistency. It's an obvious thing to say, but on this track especially, airing on the side of a bit more brake/lift than you feel you may need is the way to go. Are you having problems with turns 1 and 2 as well or just 3 and 4? I'm by no means an authority on Motegi, but here's my how I go about it:

1 and 2 are much easier to dial in than 3 and 4. Basically lift off just after you start turning in, until your car is able to turn in towards the white line/apex. Throttle back up once you get turned in enough - but if you straight to the floor again too early you may have to lift slightly again if you start to trail out to too far. I find you only need a slight lift (maybe 20% is my guess) for ~1.5 seconds. Someone else may have a better idea of the exact numbers, definitely estimates but it's something to think about.

Turn 3 and 4 I am still working on in terms of consistency. I find it much more difficult if I have to enter the turn in sixth due to drafting. Generally some medium braking going in to let the car turn, then get on the gas lightly at first, progressing to full throttle near the apex. Air on the side of more braking and a slow progression to full throttle.

I'd be really interested to hear what some other, more experienced drivers would think but I hope this helps

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 20, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I honestly think it's my setup because it's incredibly loose even with higher levels of downforce. I hate building a setup from the fixed setup and I haven't seen any posted. What happened to the vApex setups? I haven't seen any action out of them Dynamite Dog :colbert:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Last time I drove Motegi, people weren't yielding lines for poo poo. Still the case?

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Minto Took posted:

Last time I drove Motegi, people weren't yielding lines for poo poo. Still the case?

Absolutely. Every single race ive run has had cautions within the first lap if not two. Last race had 4 wide into turn 3, but almost always see a very early crash due to 3 wide, overcooking 3, or divebombing. I am in the low splits though. Had my best Indy result last race finishing fifth. Just got a feel for the track today cuz I only reached a c license on Sunday. No time to practice for motegi

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Sounds like I'll keep avoiding fixed Indy then, maybe next season after people get more used to the new car. I had kinda forgotten about the full course yellows until you guys mentioned them; I do not miss iPacing.

The 79 should be a blast around Mosport, it's just that I'm particularly slow this week and landmines are still an issue, so every car in the field in my race tonight looked like they had been through a demolition derby by the end of it. Maybe after I get back from my vacation I'll do some real testing in the DW12, it would be nice to race a road series that gets more than 8 races a week.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lord Crapulus posted:

Sounds like I'll keep avoiding fixed Indy then, maybe next season after people get more used to the new car. I had kinda forgotten about the full course yellows until you guys mentioned them; I do not miss iPacing.
No real difference between the old IR05 car the DW12 in terms of Indy Fixed idiocy.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
So with NTM5 and gooncar being dead, would ya'll still recommend the Skippy over the SRF for a newly minted D class driver?

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

KodiakRS posted:

So with NTM5 and gooncar being dead, would ya'll still recommend the Skippy over the SRF for a newly minted D class driver?

I would recommend the skippy. Its more popular and the car teaches you some pretty important handling skills. When I first hit D I bought it, and couldnt get it around a track for my life - be patient with it at first, it's meant for training purposes. It is a really fun car though, which is why so many people continue to race in the series over and over regardless of their license progression. Spending time in the skippy really helped me when I eventually picked up other open wheel cars

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Das Butterbrot posted:

If you want a racing sim without sub-fees (and kinda ridiculous cost for tracks/cars) you could always try Assetto Corsa. Physics/FFB are just as good, if not better than iRacing, official tracks are laserscanned and theres tons of great community made content already.

I highly recommend doing this if sim-racing is something you'd like to dabble in but not devote all your income to. I've been nothing but disappointed in iRacing; I have purchased $250 of content and there are still regularly weeks where I can't race anything without buying something else. What with being unable to race offline, being unable to use mods, ridiculous costs, etc., I'm letting my subscription lapse and never looking back.

AC, in contrast, cost me £15 on a Steam sale and I've had way more fun with it than I expected. There are tons of good mods coming out, it looks better, the driving feels better in many cases, I can race offline against AI, and most importantly I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off at every turn.

iRacing is great when the stars align and you've got the right cars/tracks and a decent set of opponents, but if you're like me and just want some realistic racing a few hours a week AC is a much better value.

edit: meant offline, not online

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 21, 2014

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

You've found a decent set of opponents in that game?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Bumming Your Scene posted:

You've found a decent set of opponents in that game?

Depends what you mean by 'decent', but it's a hell of a lot easier to sell my friends on a game when I can say 'it'll be £15 on sale and it's pretty playable with a gamepad'. So 'decent opponents' as in top-notch racers, possibly not, but then again I'm not one of those either, and I've certainly have been having fun with people on AC.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

KingShibby posted:

I honestly think it's my setup because it's incredibly loose even with higher levels of downforce. I hate building a setup from the fixed setup and I haven't seen any posted. What happened to the vApex setups? I haven't seen any action out of them Dynamite Dog :colbert:

I'm not sure actually. I've been busy trying to wrap up a project so I haven't been on in a week or two. I should be back around this weekend so I'll see what's up.

If memory serves the issue with Motegi in the last indycar was really bad snap oversteer at the exit of 4, and if that's still a problem it should take some damper adjustments, most likely less RF rebound or less LR rebound if it's really late on the exit. Either way I'll make a set in the next few days and I'll be sure to post it here.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Dynamite Dog posted:

I'm not sure actually. I've been busy trying to wrap up a project so I haven't been on in a week or two. I should be back around this weekend so I'll see what's up.

If memory serves the issue with Motegi in the last indycar was really bad snap oversteer at the exit of 4, and if that's still a problem it should take some damper adjustments, most likely less RF rebound or less LR rebound if it's really late on the exit. Either way I'll make a set in the next few days and I'll be sure to post it here.

I'm in no real hurry since I rarely run official races anymore. I usually just run hosted and league races and I plan on keeping it that way until they release the full length series like they do with NASCAR. I prefer the full length races because the DW12 has so many in-car adjustments that once I can keep pace my strategy will help immensely. Once they introduce driver changes, we'll have to make GoonCar membership mandatory for all goons so that we can do endurance races and spot for each other. If Lord Crapulus would start driving the DW-12 I'd gladly crew chief for him on long races :argh:

Bottom line is that I still suck, but I am getting better. Sonoma is hard as hell and I've yet to get up to even 90% speed on it. All I really need is more time to learn all the tracks, but it's hard working full-time, officiating 3 sports, and a wife that doesn't like it when I race when she's home (she's gone tonight and tomorrow night) :getin:

Edit: Would ya look at that, bonus iRacing credits are back...

quote:

Purchase $20 of iRacing credits and get $25 total credits
and/or
Purchase $75 of iRacing credits and get $100 total credits

Valid until Sept 2 so if you've been looking to buy some content, now is the best time. If tracks are $12/each I can't remember since I own every track :smugdog: you could buy 10 tracks for only $75 and still have a few bucks leftover for a hosted race.
code:
$100 / ($12 less -20% bulk discount = $9.60/track) = 10.42 tracks

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 21, 2014

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Tracks are $15. There are tracks that cost $12 but I only saw three or something.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
If you want to consider adding this to the op as an example of saving :10bux: go ahead.

So you just got out of the MX5 and want to start driving the Skippy in case Gooncar ever comes back:

Holy broken wallet batman! The entire series will set us back $140. Luckily there's a discount for buying in bulk:

So the entire series is over 6 pieces of content so that will bring the cost down to $112. Still kinda pricy but we're getting somewhere, and we're not done yet!

This limited time offer allows us to get $100 of credit for $75USD and $25 of credit for $20USD. For a total of $125 of credit for $95USD. So if the Skip Barber series costs $112 total we can spend $75 to get the $100 Credit and then pay another additional $12 for a total out of pocket price of $87, or about a %38 discount off that initial price tag of $140. Still kind of pricy but that's the price we have to pay to avoid the crashfest that is Forza5 online.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you plan on racing the skip, you aren't really wasting money when buying tracks. There's a good chance some other series you will race in some day will use that track. Even if you stick with the skip, the series will go back to that track eventually. A track is in the rotation for three seasons then it's out. That means every season there are new tracks added. If people enjoyed a track one time, chances are it will be added back a few seasons later in a different configuration.

Martin Peck, the de-facto leader of the Skip series tries really hard to make sure it's as easy for people to get into as possible. No matter what, you will be able to race three weeks out of the season because there's always three (though sometimes two) free tracks in the schedule. After that you can buy one or two tracks a month to complete the 8 weeks minimum to get participation credits without breaking the bank.

iRacing is a big commitment at the start but it get's easier once you own more tracks. Eventually you will buy a car and find out you own most if not all of the tracks in the schedule. It's a serious sim with a big community. I guarantee you won't be able to get the same kind of racing in Assetto Corsa or pCARS. Even though those games are cheaper, and look nicer, they will never be the same experience as iRacing.

If you are serious about getting into sim racing, iRacing isn't a bad investment. Don't listen to the people who get pissed off at having to buy things and then quit without even getting into the racing and the community.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 22, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Everything Kodiak and Cojawfee said. It's a large investment, but it's well worth it and you can take advantage of specials like what they're doing now to save some :10bux:

Also for $5 you can get the Long Beach tech track and it's a blast, especially in the DW12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Yeah, iRacing requires a big investment once you get out of rookies, and you really want to think carefully before you dump money into it and make sure you spend wisely (and only during sales). If you want serious racing online, then it's a good choice.

But, just speaking personally, I wouldn't recommend a newbie to sim-racing taking the plunge on iRacing until they've tried out a cheap wheel with Assetto Corsa or Game Stock Car Extreme or something. They'll give you an idea of what you're in for, are much cheaper, and are moddable and playable offline so you can try tons of different cars and tracks and learn better driving skills at your own pace and in your own style. If you do that and find yourself wanting serious competition, then give iRacing at try.

As someone who spent a year in iRacing, got out of rookies, did plenty of official races, etc., I found the experience had its own unique problems. You have the occasional blinking laggy cars, drunk drivers, intentional wreckers, or people getting abusive in chat. There's plenty of good iRacers out there, though.

It's also very much a serious community, which is fine but has its drawbacks. I personally felt some people took it way over the top -- on one occasion I screwed up and unintentionally caused a problem for other racers, for which I promptly apologised, and still one guy hounded me afterward in a way that I actually found quite unnerving. And this was in the Carburetor Cup, which doesn't even affect SR at all.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I started out loving iRacing, got overexcited and dumped loads of money in, only to find it wasn't really for me after all. I'd recommend easing yourself into sim-racing; Assetto Corsa is actually 50% off on Steam as I type this, so that's a good starting point right there.

• Locked thread