Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I bet Dr. Angstrom is the murderer.
If someone is gaslighting Zane, who could pull it off better than someone with an intimate knowledge of Zane's psychology?
Plus, Zane's fear is that he is killing people to trigger a fear response to help him remember. Who is the only other person in town to give the fear/memory theory real credence? I think that where Zane is fearful of going to such lengths to regain his memories, Dr. Angstrom accepts such extremes as a necessary evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Fabricated posted:

Why would that guy walk off into the forest again instead of directly back to town?

Well, discounting any supernatural stuff (not easy to discount). He's not a local, and stormed out of the graveyard during the start of a snowstorm. It's possible he didn't notice he was lost until he was.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

Why would that guy walk off into the forest again instead of directly back to town?

or maybe the real guy's been dead this whole time :getin:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Applewhite posted:

If someone is gaslighting Zane, who could pull it off better than someone with an intimate knowledge of Zane's psychology?
Plus, Zane's fear is that he is killing people to trigger a fear response to help him remember. Who is the only other person in town to give the fear/memory theory real credence? I think that where Zane is fearful of going to such lengths to regain his memories, Dr. Angstrom accepts such extremes as a necessary evil.

Doesn't Dr. Angstrom have an alibi though? If he followed Zane back to his house immediately after leaving the funeral how did he have time to kill the writer and them make it back to Zane's house?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Brought To You By posted:

Doesn't Dr. Angstrom have an alibi though? If he followed Zane back to his house immediately after leaving the funeral how did he have time to kill the writer and them make it back to Zane's house?

We don't know for sure how much time passed between Dr. Angstrom leaving the funeral to check on Zane and when he got to Zane's house.
There is also an ambiguous amount of time that passes between Dr. Angstrom departing Zane's house and Zane's own departure. Plus, who knows how long Zane walked through the snow before stumbling upon Novacheck? Even though the body looked dessicated, the blood looked fresh. It's possible the killer was only a few minutes ahead of Zane.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 19, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really can't wait for this arc to be over, honestly. We know it's not Wadsworth. We know! It can't be him, that would be lame! So his whole inner conflict rings hollow and makes him seem a bit stupid, and it's just waiting and waiting and waiting for the other shoe to drop. I loved the first storyline of this comic but I just can't get on board with the main thread of this one, and that's a shame. At least the b-plots are intriguing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Even if it's not literally our main character killing people, I think this thing is connected to him. All the horror imagery seems to be connected to this idea of "bait". It feels like something has attached itself to Zane and, well... "come closer".

Zane's fear that he's the murderer doesn't feel boring to me in the way that you describe. This scene's been feeling pretty tense to me. And that's because there's so many possibilities between "this is a completely worthless red herring" and "Zane was right all along".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
From the viewpoint of a detached reader, it's kind of frustrating that he won't even consider the idea that he's not the murderer. But confirmation bias and blind panic are a hell of a thing.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Cht. Cht Cht Cht Cht.

I guess that sounds like a ghostly angleworm that haunts a local forest.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

Or it could be a monster I guess. Cht cht cht cht....
I'm sticking to my guns and holding out for the reveal that it's Dr. Angstrom (with the modification that it might also be something in Angstrom's form).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:stare:

Well, I didn't need to sleep ever again.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I can't tell if the torso is made of bones, or if it's wearing bones.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy poo poo look at the size of that pile of bones.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm with the person in the comments who says this is actually a lot less scary than the poo poo that went on before. body horror beats alien monster, i guess?

it's a cool monster though.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

That's fairly typical. The reveal of the monster in horror tends to be less scary than the build-up, and the build-up in Broodhollow has been rather...vivid.

Shedrakzo
Sep 2, 2011
Honestly, I think it looks kinda cute.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Batman's Shameful Secret > Broodhollow - Honestly, I think it looks kinda cute.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
It's the same paradox that plagued much of Lovecraft's work - an unseen monster is scarier than any monster you can actually draw or describe.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm not underwhelmed by it. It's pretty kickass actually.

And about 'unseen' monsters; the stitched man was pretty awesomely creepy too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The fact it's apparently standalone is a lot less scary than when I thought it was festering inside Zane like some kind of parasite.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Why do I get the feeling that this, like the bats, is something that's secondary to the actual problem here? I don't see anything that looks like a spike or drill or whatever on the giant bug, and certainly nothing suggests that it would leave a trail of three red streaks wherever it goes. I really don't think this is the angleworm, but merely something feeding on its leftovers,

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It has a little three-pronged thing coming out of its mouth, doesn't it?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MikeJF posted:

It has a little three-pronged thing coming out of its mouth, doesn't it?

That's the guys hand, I think.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh. I thought it was like the inner mouth of an Alien alien. :eng99:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think the holes are made by the three nail like talons coming out from around it's head.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 24, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's getting pretty rough. Wonder if they'll kill off another or all of the boys?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, if you go back to Indecent, which was on May 2nd, I think you can see the corkscrew in the journal entry. Also, did that thing leave a spine in Wadsworth after its last attack? That would explain how it's been getting inside his head.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So I've been pretty out of it since I got my wisdom teeth removed, but here's the last three pages.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So that's what happened.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well I guess that puts getting your wisdom teeth removed into perspective.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
And suddenly Wadsworth grows a pair.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

That is one super heroic flying-attack pose.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
How does one remove that with a corkscrew? Unless they pushed it in which is just the worst idea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

heenato posted:

How does one remove that with a corkscrew? Unless they pushed it in which is just the worst idea.

Simple, you insert it alongside the entry wound and uncork the skin, the needle will come with it.

It was probably even less pleasant than it sounds.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New comic.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I really enjoy the comment attached to this comic, "Thanks for bearing with me. As you may know, we have a new baby in the house, which I’m still getting the hang of." I think it does a lot to explain the mess in the last panel.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Yes, Wadsworth. We know.

...That is pretty drat metal.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
He says as he murders carrion monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I can't shake the thought that he might be hallucinating here.

• Locked thread