Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

muscles like this? posted:

Watching old episodes of The Simpsons is weird.

No it doesn't. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

How can that possibly not tank she show? I'd think ratings would plummet.

Well, you always have your James Bonds, Star Treks and Doctors Who where people are more invested in the characters, settings and concepts of the shows than any single actor or particular cast.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DrBouvenstein posted:

No it doesn't. :downs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sor0LXiSZg

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Because making 90s movies into TV shows is all the rage these days, NBC is ordering a pilot script for a The Devil's Advocate show.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/08...l,manual#bHFT3f

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thank god, one step closer to an Adult Swim series based on We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What day of the marathon should I watch to

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Thank god, one step closer to an Adult Swim series based on We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story.

So this, basically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPZJ3Zc01wk

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Old episodes of The Simpsons are just jam packed with jokes. Like Lenny talking about screwing over the power plant with a fake insurance claim while they walk over to a coffee pot with a voluntary 25 cent payment box that they proceed to completely ignore.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

hcreight posted:

Because making 90s movies into TV shows is all the rage these days, NBC is ordering a pilot script for a The Devil's Advocate show.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/08...l,manual#bHFT3f

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

There's gently caress all to watch over the summer and I figure my TiVo should be doing something for the $13 I'm paying for it each month.

The idea that someone is paying $13 a month for a DVR in the year 2014 reminds me of those old people who still rent their phone from the phone company for more than it costs to pick one up at Walmart.

Irish Joe posted:

Well, you always have your James Bonds, Star Treks and Doctors Who where people are more invested in the characters, settings and concepts of the shows than any single actor or particular cast.

There are iterations of all those things that are complete poo poo, though. This sounds more like an "Aunt Viv" kind of situation than any of those anyway.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 21, 2014

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

That unfamiliar sound it causes you to keep making is called laughter. Just keep watching and it will go away in a week or so.

I haven't been watching. Are they airing the uncut versions or the hacked up syndication versions?
Edit: Looks to be uncut. They just aired the "quoth the raven: eat my shorts" line that was originally cut from the first Halloween show.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 21, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is there an app for this out yet?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Toxxupation posted:

What day of the marathon should I watch to
At least to 8/25. Maybe 8/26 but after that it's going to be more miss than hit.

zoux posted:

So is there an app for this out yet?
The app is supposed to be out in October.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

raditts posted:

The idea that someone is paying $13 a month for a DVR in the year 2014 reminds me of those old people who still rent their phone from the phone company for more than it costs to pick one up at Walmart.

Dish, DirectTV, Charter, etc charge you $10/mo for DVR functionality if you want it in your cable box.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

It's still surprising to me that season 2 was the one that had the highest ratings, because it's probably the most dour the show got. Season one was just...eh.

Also the early animation is so bad. Like, I get that it has more character than the clean Korean animation they have now but on the other hand you get things like the Simpsons home being made of funhouse mirrors.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Dish, DirectTV, Charter, etc charge you $10/mo for DVR functionality if you want it in your cable box.

Yeah I don't see how that's a weird thing even in the slightest. I've cut the cord for $$$ reasons, but if I could afford cable I would think paying to rent a DVR was just part and parcel with having cable.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's why it's best to just set up a HTPC and use cable cards if your provider has them. That's what we do. No DVR fee. And since you're not using cable equipment there's not even a box rental fee and there's a small monthly credit for using your own.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Or you could watch less television.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently Syfy took some criticisms to heart because they just aired the same commercial for Ascension that they've been airing except when it panned out to the spaceship it looked completely different.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

Or you could watch less television.

Look at this dumb dumb.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Deadpool posted:

That's why it's best to just set up a HTPC and use cable cards if your provider has them. That's what we do. No DVR fee. And since you're not using cable equipment there's not even a box rental fee and there's a small monthly credit for using your own.
So is Microsoft ever going to update MCE?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cardboard Box A posted:

So is Microsoft ever going to update MCE?

Windows Media Center in Windows 7 already works better and faster than any cable box I've seen so I don't really care if they update it as long as they don't break it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah none of the providers in my area have cable cards, so renting is the only option.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
This HTPC thing sounds cool. Is there a reliable source of information for building one of them?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As I continue to be impressed by Hell on Wheels' third season, I was thinking what are the biggest turnarounds in TV history. P&R had a huge improvement after season 1, and TNG and DS9 also got a lot better after season 2, but I'm thinking less about shows that just grew into their own than shows where they cleaned house, changed direction and became legit good shows.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

zoux posted:

As I continue to be impressed by Hell on Wheels' third season, I was thinking what are the biggest turnarounds in TV history. P&R had a huge improvement after season 1, and TNG and DS9 also got a lot better after season 2, but I'm thinking less about shows that just grew into their own than shows where they cleaned house, changed direction and became legit good shows.

Not so much a "turn around"- but I'd say Breaking Bad went from good show to "great/amazing" show after it's first season.

On the flipside Dexter had the biggest dip in quality that I can remember in a show. Although I think it was more realizing Dexter was a magician performing the same trick every season and all the cracks were in full force.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JohnSherman posted:

This HTPC thing sounds cool. Is there a reliable source of information for building one of them?

We have one in the den and one in our bedroom. Both are just run of the mill Windows 7 computers with cable card tuners, a bluetooth remote, and several extra hard drives for space. You don't need anything fancy at all as it doesn't take a lot of juice to run an HD tuner. Well depending on how many tuners you're using. And I never have to worry about upgrading because I don't use them for anything else.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

A lot of goons turned on The Killing when it dragged its initial murder mystery out over two seasons, but season three is a great soul-crushing of a season that is all but completely divorced from the first two.

Also Moral Orel didn't really becoming amazing until season three, when it went from being a lazy "lol xians" parody of Davie and Goliath to a soul-wrenching work of art.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: ^^^^ Yeah Morel Orel had a massive leap in quality, and honestly I'd say Venture Bros. got far better starting with season 3 as well.

zoux posted:

As I continue to be impressed by Hell on Wheels' third season

Season 2 was a big step up over season 1, it's hard to believe how good that show is getting. It's like a reverse Walking Dead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you hate you soul?

precision posted:

Season 2 was a big step up over season 1, it's hard to believe how good that show is getting. It's like a reverse Walking Dead.

S4 is good then?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

S4 is good then?

I've only watched the first three episodes of season 4 but yeah so far it's another improvement, but not as drastic as the difference between season 1 and 3.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A lot of goons turned on The Killing when it dragged its initial murder mystery out over two seasons, but season three is a great soul-crushing of a season that is all but completely divorced from the first two.

Also Moral Orel didn't really becoming amazing until season three, when it went from being a lazy "lol xians" parody of Davie and Goliath to a soul-wrenching work of art.

Moral Orel was always like that, the first two seasons just did a good job of hiding that tension under the surface.

American Dad had a terrible initial run of episodes, but then after "Bullocks to Stan" the show suddenly became amazing and never stopped being amazing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Haven't you been able to buy your own Tivo for like at least a decade now? $10+ a month to have one box on your TV stand instead of two doesn't sound like that great of a deal.

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, this is what I do. I bought a couple of used xboxes to use as cable boxes because at this point they pay for themselves in less than a year compared to what you'd be paying the cable company for a box, run them through Windows Media Center on your PC, and it's like having a multi-room DVR that you can expand whenever you need more space. I know HDHomeruns have mobile apps now too so you might even be able to just use one of those android stick things, although I haven't tried it myself.

Deadpool posted:

Windows Media Center in Windows 7 already works better and faster than any cable box I've seen so I don't really care if they update it as long as they don't break it.

Seriously, WMC might be the most competently designed thing Microsoft has ever made. Of course they had to do their best to gently caress that up with Windows 8 by making you pay $10 if you want to install it.

JohnSherman posted:

You don't even have to build one specifically with HTPCs in mind anymore. Just buy one of these and plug it into your network, and presto, any PC or laptop on the same network is a TV. Since it's got three tuners, get one cablecard from your cable company and it's just as good as three cable boxes.

If you record a lot of TV or have enough people that would be watching more than 3 different channels at the same time, you can buy another one and daisy chain them to add more tuners to your network.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 22, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

$110 for Windows Media Center if you have Windows 8 Home.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JohnSherman posted:

IYG has you covered: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006 (OP is out of date by 7 years though).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

Ah, but you're forgetting the wife factor. She can barely stand my gaming PC sitting in the living room, let alone the noise it makes when it's on.

For a short period of time I actually had a USB tuner that could get local OTA signals. She wouldn't touch it unless I was in the room (even though I had programmed a universal remote that made the whole thing foolproof).

Don't get me wrong, she's a smart woman (and was a goon before I was, though she doesn't ever post anywhere) but TV :spergin: is hardly universal.

Also the other posters are right. Every cable service charges for their boxes, TiVo is hardly alone. Sure, I could sell my soul and get an X1 setup from Comcast (including a digital voice line no one will ever use) but they would charge a monthly fee for it. I can only subvert Comcast so much, and having a TiVo is one of the ways I do.

Plus it's got the best interface and recording capabilities anyway.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"What's your middle name? Dorkface?"

-Detective Pixiecut, Taxi Brooklyn

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Aphrodite posted:

$110 for Windows Media Center if you have Windows 8 Home.
What if you have Win 8 Pro?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lelandjs posted:

Ah, but you're forgetting the wife factor. She can barely stand my gaming PC sitting in the living room, let alone the noise it makes when it's on.

I don't know what you're putting in a gaming PC that makes so much noise (my guess is a bunch of fans) but my HTPCs make pretty much no noise at all unless you're sitting literally right next to them and even then barely so. But even then the rooms they're in are pretty large so you'd never know they're there at all except for the power light on the front which is tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

"What's your middle name? Dorkface?"

-Detective Pixiecut, Taxi Brooklyn

I have only experienced that show through clips on The Soup, and I feel like if I ever watch the actual show I'll just be let down.

• Locked thread