Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Austrian mook posted:

I'm going to beat the poo poo out of you

It's honestly Platinum Weakest outside of Anarchy Reigns and Mad World. W101 can be beaten in a single sitting on the easiest difficulty it's not that long a game. Yeah it has a ton of style and the voice acting is top notch, but you have more quick time events than Tomb Raider or Call of Duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Looks like W101 is definitely worth the demo, so I'll check it out!

I'm having a slight issue right now, though. The system needs an update, and I cannot get it to complete. The download took forever (probably has to do with Internet on my end) and then had an error at the last minute and basically cancelled the update. I'm trying it again now, so hopefully it was a fluke. I was really hoping to play some MK8 tonight before I have to go to bed.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

looking forward to Bayo2 though

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's honestly Platinum Weakest outside of Anarchy Reigns and Mad World. W101 can be beaten in a single sitting on the easiest difficulty it's not that long a game. Yeah it has a ton of style and the voice acting is top notch, but you have more quick time events than Tomb Raider or Call of Duty.

Uh, what? If anything, W101 is too long, some of the later stages could really have stood to be about half as long as they actually are. It would be a perfect 10-15 hour experience, but it goes on for 20+ on any difficulties above the absolute easiest.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kaubocks posted:

looking forward to Bayo2 though

Yeah it looks good, but I'm not all that crazy about the first game being a digital download code instead of being on disc. I really don't like Nintendo's account shenanigans.

Artix posted:

Uh, what? If anything, W101 is too long, some of the later stages could really have stood to be about half as long as they actually are. It would be a perfect 10-15 hour experience, but it goes on for 20+ on any difficulties above the absolute easiest.

Yeah the harder difficulties, the enemies are damage sponges. Like Borderlands 2 Damage Sponges.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Artix posted:

Holy poo poo this is my main complaint with W101, each stage lasts foreeeeever.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Morby posted:

Incidentally, has that changed, btw?

Nah, the e-shop is Visa/Mastercard only still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

This is how you tell someone hasn't actually played the game.

Wonderful 101 is, if anything, one of Platinum's longer and more content-filled games. It is, if anything, a bit too long for its own good sometimes and some stages last longer than they should in order to keep to the 3-act structure instead of breaking stages up more.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

This is how you tell someone hasn't actually played the game.

I skipped the cutscenes because that airship level was just too much with the Russian guy I just didn't care anymore. I switched it to very easy and would mash start each time someone started talking.

The Prologue only lasts 3 minutes if you skip everything.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah it looks good, but I'm not all that crazy about the first game being a digital download code instead of being on disc. I really don't like Nintendo's account shenanigans.

Yeah the harder difficulties, the enemies are damage sponges. Like Borderlands 2 Damage Sponges.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/23013/article/nintendo-confirms-that-bayonetta-1-for-wii-u-will-come-on-disc/

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Works for me because with the WiiU I'm doubling down on my terrible purchasing decisions and going ALL DIGITAL!

good thing I didn't I didn't impulsively buy W101 because it's so cheap though; there's a reason why it's half price :smug:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
the QTE's are the best dude what are you talking about

Artix posted:

I remember so many times I'd play a level before bed and by the time I'd be halfway through I was pooped.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Morby posted:

Looks like W101 is definitely worth the demo, so I'll check it out!

I'm having a slight issue right now, though. The system needs an update, and I cannot get it to complete. The download took forever (probably has to do with Internet on my end) and then had an error at the last minute and basically cancelled the update. I'm trying it again now, so hopefully it was a fluke. I was really hoping to play some MK8 tonight before I have to go to bed.

when i bought my wii u last month, it had weird internet connection dropouts and the huge update kept failing. Eventually it succeeded and those problems never presented again

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Oh this is good then I shall use my coupons that I have been hoarding.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Dont be taint reaped by misinformation

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

Nah, the e-shop is Visa/Mastercard only still.

Goddammit, Nintendo! Will you just take my money? :mad:

Glad I went ahead and assumed that didn't change so I have some digital bux to spend.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Taint Reaper posted:

I skipped the cutscenes because that airship level was just too much with the Russian guy I just didn't care anymore. I switched it to very easy and would mash start each time someone started talking.

The Prologue only lasts 3 minutes if you skip everything.

stfu

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I skipped the cutscenes because that airship level was just too much with the Russian guy I just didn't care anymore.

So in that case you played the game on the easiest mode (which is literally "for little children" mode) and skipped every cutscene without touching any of the optional content or highest difficult levels (which alter the gameplay and unlock new characters and weapons) and said it was too short.

There are a lot of complaints to be made about W101 but the idea that it is too short because you skipped huge chunks of both gameplay and story is a pretty hollow complaint.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

So in that case you played the game on the easiest mode (which is literally "for little children" mode) and skipped every cutscene without touching any of the optional content or highest difficult levels (which alter the gameplay and unlock new characters and weapons) and said it was too short.

There are a lot of complaints to be made about W101 but the idea that it is too short because you skipped huge chunks of both gameplay and story is a pretty hollow complaint.

I said if you played on the easiest difficulty you can beat it in a single sitting. It would have been better if they had like an open world mode to use the powers because getting the bottlecaps and everything is more of a pain than the katamari games. There's a ton of the harder difficulty fights where the pad controls just cripple you because you keep having to redraw the command you want.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 22, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I said if you played on the easiest difficulty you can beat it in a single sitting.

If you're calling a ~12 hour game short because you can rush through it while skipping cutscenes on a setting specifically designed to not use the mechanics, yes, I'm going to assume you played it on that mode. It's also a remarkably dumb way to judge the actual length of a game. It's borderline going "hey, I saw a speedrunner finish this game in 3 hours, that means it is only 3 hours long!"

The Taint Reaper posted:

There's a ton of the harder difficulty fights where the pad controls just cripple you because you keep having to redraw the command you want.

No there isn't. The pad controls are literally fighting game inputs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 22, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

If you're calling a ~12 hour game short because you can rush through it while skipping cutscenes on a setting specifically designed to not use the mechanics, yes, I'm going to assume you played it on that mode. It's also a remarkably dumb way to judge the actual length of a game. It's borderline going "hey, I saw a speedrunner finish this game in 3 hours, that means it is only 3 hours long!"

Uh yea okay I'll be sure to keep your opinion in mind there fan of 18 minute and 10 second long game Ocarina of Time :rolleyes:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
A Thing To Remember here is the taint reaper is an idiot

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kewpuh posted:

Dont be taint reaped by misinformation

But then how will I know I'm getting the most value per hour out of my fifty cents for any given video game?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

absolutely anything posted:

A Thing To Remember here is the taint reaper is an idiot

He really is but I like to read his posts because theyre mindblowingly retarded

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I kinda was referring to just the length of the main campaign itself not the overall game and everything. Like yeah you can always go back and collect everything which will increase the amount of time spent. But it's kinda like pre-patch Diablo 3 where if you're just playing the same acts over and over to just get everything it does become monotnious. It's like a real diamond in the rough type of game where it had a ton of interesting ideas, but the execution just never got there.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

I will however say that w101 wasn't necessarily my cup of tea either but I also didn't even start the second level of it. I thought it was really ambitious and the story and voice acting were funny and cool but it kind of gave me a headache to play because of sensory overload and I'm probably maybe not good enough at those types of games to enjoy them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kewpuh posted:

He really is but I like to read his posts because theyre mindblowingly retarded

same

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

I will however say that w101 wasn't necessarily my cup of tea either but I also didn't even start the second level of it. I thought it was really ambitious and the story and voice acting were funny and cool but it kind of gave me a headache to play because of sensory overload and I'm probably maybe not good enough at those types of games to enjoy them.

Yeah, one thing to note about W101 is that it is full of poo poo going on at all times. Eventually you can kind of compartmentalize the important stuff vs the non-important stuff but it is absolutely brimming with things happening. The demo is particularly bad about this because it doesn't have the leadup to having a team that the main game has.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kaubocks posted:

W101 is not a good video games.

You know, I remember associating your avatar with Bad Opinions About Video Games, so this makes me want W101 more than anything else has so far.

I didn't like the demo much, I have to admit, but I have a much bigger TV now, so I should probably try it again.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Platinum is Ambrosia

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
W101 is a blast but it's one of Platinum's weakest offerings if you care at all about rank (which you should, because Platinum fans have Platinum boners for Platinum trophies in Platinum games). The minigames are everywhere and some of them are not particularly well thought-out, which is a shame because most of them consequently tank your score. I got my rear end kicked several times on the final boss because the switchups in setting and gameplay were so drastic I had no idea what the gently caress to do until I'd gotten my clock cleaned.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You know calling out who has the worst opinions on videogames does nothing but drive us apart. Unisoft has already claimed that Nintendo people have no intrest in playing popular games which is why they're not releasing most of their games on the console.

Brothers do not use your venomed words against each other, use them against the French.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Trent posted:

You know, I remember associating your avatar with Bad Opinions About Video Games, so this makes me want W101 more than anything else has so far.

harsh

I'm sorry you hate cool games because for the most part I'm only pretty vocal about games I love!

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

If you recently bought Wii U though I would highly recommend Zombi U because it is uh how do you say the poo poo that killed elvis

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

If you recently bought Wii U though I would highly recommend Zombi U because it is uh how do you say the poo poo that killed elvis

This is a correct opinion.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kaubocks posted:

harsh

I'm sorry you hate cool games because for the most part I'm only pretty vocal about games I love!

I could be wrong, but I think you were talking poo poo about a zelda or mario game or something a week ago.
poo poo, i dunno. We cool. :glomp:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kewpuh posted:

Zombi-U is nothing like a Fool's Gold Loaf. I'm sorry Kewpuh but you are dead wrong.

This is what true ambrosia looks like

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kewpuh posted:

I agree with this, and I'm tired of zombies in media otherwise. The game is a legit survival horror game rather than just a standard FPS featuring zombies, and you can't just run around gunning things down like you're Doomguy. It's a shame Ubisoft won't be making a sequel that fixes some of the game's issues like the melee combat only having one attack animation.

Kaubocks posted:

harsh

I disagree with your opinions on Pikmin, but I agree with your opinions on Kid Icarus Uprising so it evens out.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Zombi-U is nothing like a Fool's Gold Loaf. I'm sorry Kewpuh but you are dead wrong.

This is what true ambrosia looks like

Zombi-U is like 10 dollars now, surely you can afford it now instead of pretending you hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Zombi-U is like 10 dollars now, surely you can afford it now instead of pretending you hate it.

Bitch I bought it when it was 2 dollars at Toys r us.

• Locked thread