Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I downloaded the addon Power Auras and it seems really frickin' cool and can do all sorts of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Also, would it be better for me to use Destruction instead of Affliction? I've read that Affliction surpasses Destruction when fully geared, but that's assuming ICC gear rather than Naxx gear, am I correct?

I've never played a max level lock, but I think I recall from retail that Affliction was one of the more difficult rotations. It may be that practice at a target dummy could make perfect. With dual spec available; though, it should do no harm to test out another spec and see if you enjoy it (unless you have a pvp spec, I suppose).

Fallout told me that one of the advantages of affliction on retail was that if you recast a dot on a target, it would refresh assuming the same statistics as when it was originally cast. So you could pop a bunch of cooldowns and throw em on a target and just keep em rolling like that. Zig said that has been fixed on this server.

Around Ulduar on retail I think my 10 man's lock was running destruction, and he was a bit of a min-maxer. That doesn't take into account 3.3.5 talents being available here though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

I downloaded the addon Power Auras and it seems really frickin' cool and can do all sorts of stuff.

It is the best mod, on retail from Wotlk to MoP power auras was over half the stuff I saw on my screen during raiding.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hi im like, having a new job and moving apartments and poo poo so I'll probably be around sporadically till Ulduar.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
XT-002 Deconstructor

Trash:
I don't remember too many specifics about the trash in XT's room. It comes in big packs of like 5-7 at a time. I think you're supposed to kill the gnomes first, as they repair the other robots. I also remember that one of the robots shoots out a saw blade that sort of boomerangs back, damaging anybody it hits on the way.

Video:
http://www.wowwiki.com/File:XT-002_tutorial_guide_%28narrated%29
The tankspot video was pretty poor and not a strategy I wanted to use. This video does a good job of illustrating my preferred strategy. It's also from the perspective of a ranged dps.

Gimmick: Alternating normal phase and heart phase. DO NOT DESTROY THE HEART. Healers keep the raid up during tantrum. Stop robot adds from healing XT and don't blow up the raid with light/gravity bombs.

Abilities:
Light Bomb: A random raid member receives a debuff that deals about 3k damage to any raid members around them. Is used constantly throughout the fight. Works similar to the Overload debuff that Ionar uses in Halls of Lightning and it looks like a bright white circle around the target.
Gravity Bomb: Another random raid member receives a debuff that after a few seconds pulls in nearby (9 yards) raid members and causes a high amount of damage. Also used constantly throughout the fight.
Tympanic Tantrum: Used every minute, XT pounds the ground and causes massive raid wide damage. The entire raid takes 10% of their hitpoints every second for 8 seconds.

There are also a few adds during the heart phase that will spawn from the scrap piles in the corners of the room.
XT's Exposed Heart: At 75%, 50%, and 25%, XT will shutdown for 30(?) seconds and his heart becomes exposed. Any damage done to the heart is doubled and transfers to XT's hit points during the normal phase. Killing the heart engages hard mode. Don't do this.
XS-013 Scrapbot: If these reach XT, they will heal him similar to the zombies during Gluth.
XE-321 Boombot: They look like Bob-ombs and will explode when they reach XT, damaging anybody nearby. Ranged dps can kill them to cause them to explode early. Their explosion will also damage the Scrapbots.
XM-024 Pummeler: A larger robot that needs to be offtanked. Otherwise they're pretty boring.

Strategy:
XT is a pretty simple boss that mostly requires solid coordinated healing.

The raid should be split into two main groups, the melee group and the ranged/healer group. This allows AE heals to effectively reach everybody, and also makes it easy for folks affected by Light and Gravity Bombs to get away from their respective group.

The main tank should pull XT to the base of the stairs at the back of the room and tank him there. Melee should be in one group at XT's rear and the ranged group should be piled together about 15-20 yards back from that group.

Constantly throughout the encounter, two random raid members will be afflicted with Light Bombs and Gravity Bombs. Once the debuff wears off from one target, it will immediately be applied to another. The players affected by the bombs should immediately move laterally to the right or left so that their debuff does not cause damage to their assigned group. Light Bombs should move left (Light=L=Left) and Gravity Bombs should move right (no mnemonic for this unfortunately). Keeping light to the left and gravity to the right should prevent players from accidentally both choosing the same side.

Every minute during the XT's normal phase, he will use Tympanic Tantrum. Healers will need to be prepared for heavy raid healing and should immediately begin using Chain Heals, Wild Growth's, Prayers of Healing, etc. The tanks will still be taking melee damage from XT and any Pummelers that may be alive, so they will need even heavier healing. Dps and tanks should use any Health Stones or potions available to assist the healers. I found that during progression, the healers being able to handle tantrum damage usually was the best indicator to show if the raid will be successful in defeating XT-002.

At 75, 50, and 25 percent, XT will deactivate for 30 seconds. His heart will drop out of his chest cavity and become targetable. The raid should immediately begin dps'ing this target. Save cooldowns and bloodlust for these heart phases as any damage done to the heart is doubled and will transfer to XT's actual hitpoints. If dps is high enough, it is possible to do enough damage during the heart phase to make the normal phases very short and start the next heart phase. The raid must be very careful; however, as destroying the heart engages hard mode and heals the boss entirely. Dps should stop entirely during the heart phase around 15-20%.

During the heart phase, adds will also begin spawning from the scrap piles in each corner of the room. At the latter half of the heart phase, ranged dps should keep an eye on each pile to AE down any scrapbots that begin running towards XT, as they will heal him if they reach him (on 10 man, one ranged dps can usually cover two piles). Bomb bots should be focused by ranged dps, as when they are destroyed, they will cause AE damage to any players or scrapbots nearby. If the bomb bots reach XT, they will explode on the melee dps. Pummelers should be picked up by the Offtank(s) and once they have all been picked up they can be tanked by the melee dps so they receive incidental AE damage.

After 30 seconds, XT retrieves his heart and the fight continues back to normal phase. If the raid did enough damage during the heart phase, the raid can avoid any future tympanic tantrums if they can reach the next heart phase before the minute cooldown for tantrum is up.

XT has an enrage timer of 10 minutes. Defeating him will allow the raid to reach the next set of bosses: the Assembly of Iron and Kologarn.

Roles:
Tanks (2 in 10, 2-3 in 25): Use cooldowns during Tantrums (Don't use cooldowns that raise your maximum hit points here; however, as tantrum damage is based on % of max health). Offtanks should pickup pummelers during heart phases.
Healers (2-3 in 10, 5-7 in 25): Prepare for very heavy raid damage during Tantrums. Assigning healers to groups/tanks before the encounter may be helpful to increase healing coordination. Make sure to move away from the raid group when afflicted by light/gravity bombs.
Dps: Use cooldowns during the heart phases, but be careful not to blow up the heart entirely. Ranged dps should switch to focus bomb bots and scrap bots during the latter half of the heart phase. Use Health stones or potions during Tympanic Tantrum to assist the healers. Make sure to move away from the raid group when afflicted by light/gravity bombs.

Algalon Bugs:
Will update later. If the scrapbot add hp has been significantly increased, it could be more difficult to bring them down before they reach XT.

the.pope
Jun 1, 2005
I like this guide greatly. He plays Moonkin with typhoon. Smart man.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

the.pope posted:

Typhoon confirmed OP

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

the.pope posted:

Yeah, it's pretty good. I'm gonna try and use multiple videos if I see a few good ones from multiple perspectives. Just linking to tankspot guides is going to give a skewed perspective a lot of the time. Although I think around ToC they started having a healer do guides, as well.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to run some of our new people through Naxx 10 this or next week so they can get into Ulduar 10, is there any other well geared people who would dedicate their time to come help / want to go on a alt?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Abu Dave posted:

I'd like to run some of our new people through Naxx 10 this or next week so they can get into Ulduar 10, is there any other well geared people who would dedicate their time to come help / want to go on a alt?

I'll come hit things if theres a clear time when its gonna happen.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's do it Sunday night?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Abu Dave posted:

Let's do it Sunday night?

As long as it isn't too late sure. I start my classes the following morning at 8am.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
>implying your book smart

What time is good for u

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Abu Dave posted:

>implying your book smart

What time is good for u

8CST or earlier would be preferable

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is that in American Eastern Time

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Abu Dave posted:

What is that in American Eastern Time

8 US central time.

So a solid 12 hours before 8 US eastern time.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't we do naxx at 8 PM Eastern then on monday wouldnt that conflict with 8 pm cst on sunday im so lost

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Abu Dave posted:

Don't we do naxx at 8 PM Eastern then on monday wouldnt that conflict with 8 pm cst on sunday im so lost

I live in texas figure it out. My clock runs an hour before whatever time we schedule our raids by.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lets do Naxx 10 on Sunday at 7 PM EST then? that's probv 6 your time then or is that too early

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Abu Dave posted:

Lets do Naxx 10 on Sunday at 7 PM EST then? that's probv 6 your time then or is that too early

sounds good 2 me.

the.pope
Jun 1, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

I will most likely be on then. There is actually a ring I want from 10 man naxx if we have room for geared people.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I will try my best to show up on Bauxite.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
The Assembly of Iron

Trash:
There's some, I can't really remember what it does though.

Videos:
Tank perspective, watch this if you are also playing a class with interrupts: http://www.wowwiki.com/File:TankSpot%27s_Guide_to_Iron_Council_%28Assembly_of_Iron%29
Boomkin/ranged dps perspective: http://www.wowwiki.com/File:Assembly_of_Iron_tutorial_%28Narrated%29
Fire Mage/Ranged dps perspective (good description of abilities here, too): http://www.wowwiki.com/File:High_Quality_Assembly_of_Iron_%28incl._Commentary%29

Gimmick:
Assembly of Iron is a three-phase fight against three bosses at once. When you kill one, the remaining bosses get new abilities each time. Probably the first fight that illustrates the complexity of some of the later bosses. Lots of interrupts, hazards, buffs, and debuffs to dispel, take advantage of, or run away from. The order of bosses killed affects the difficulty of the encounter.

Abilities:
Each boss starts with a few abilities. Each surviving boss has its hit points refilled and gains a new ability along with a +25% damage buff after the death of its companions.

Steelbreaker:
High Voltage: An aura that deals about 3k pulsing AE damage to nearby raid members.
Fusion Punch: A dot applied to the main tank that does about 20k damage initially and then another 15k every second for 4 seconds. This is a magic debuff and should be dispelled immediately. A paladin tank is often a great choice to tank Steelbreaker as they can dispel their own debuff with Cleanse.
Static Disruption (after one boss dies): Steelbreaker afflicts a random raid member with a debuff inflicting about 7k aoe damage to anybody around the target. The target also suffers 75% increased nature damage for 20 seconds.
Overwhelming Power (after both other bosses are defeated): Cast on the Main tank. The player deals 200% increased damage but explodes after 30 seconds, killing themselves and anybody within 15 yards.
Electrical Charge (after both other bosses are defeated): If a player dies during phase 3, Steelbreaker heals for 15% of his maximum hit points and increases his damage by 25%.

Runemaster Molgeim:
Rune of Power: Cast on one member of the Assembly of Iron. This places a blue rune under the target that increases the damage of anybody standing in the rune by 50%. The tank of the boss targeted should pull them away from the rune and any nearby dps should hop in. These work similar to Malygos' sparks, except they are stationary.
Shield of Runes: A buff the Runemaster casts on himself. This buff absorbs up to 50k damage. If the buff absorbs all this damage, it will expire and increase the damage of the Runemaster by 50% for 15 seconds. This should be spell-stolen or dispelled. Siccing a felhound on Runemaster Molgeim for the duration of the fight works well, as devour magic will remove the effect. A warrior tank using Shield Slam should also work well (though warrior tanks may be more valuable against Stormcaller Brundir).
Rune of Death (after one boss dies): The Runemaster places a massive green rune under a random player that deals 6k damage per second to any targets that stand on it. Players should immediately move off the rune.
Rune of Summoning (after both other bosses are defeated): The Runemaster places a purple rune in the room that will begin summoning lightning elementals that attack the raid. If the elementals reach their targeted player, they explode for about 15k damage in a 30 yard radius.

Stormcaller Brundir:
Chain Lightning: Does about 6k damage to up to 5 targets. This is interruptable.
Overload: A 6 second channeled spell that does 25k damage to any targets within 20 yards. Everybody should run away when he begins casting this. A tank can survive the damage, but it's generally better to save the healer's mana. This works just like Loken's AE spell in Halls of Lightning, it just does a lot more damage.
Lightning Whirl (after one boss dies): Fires off lightning bolts at random raid members. This will do a lot of damage to the entire raid and should be interrupted immediately. The Runecasters after Ionar in the Halls of Lightning use a similar ability.
Lightning Tendrils (after both other bosses are defeated): Brundir drops aggro, rises into the air, and begins pursuing random raid members. Anybody within 10 yards of Brundir will be shocked by his lightning for about 5k per second. The raid needs to spread out and run away from Brundir and whoever he is chasing. He will eventually land and will need to be taunted.

Strategy:
The difficulty of this fight is determined by which boss is killed last. Killing Brundir last is the easiest encounter, killing the Runemaster last is the next in order of difficulty, and killing Steelbreaker last is the most difficult version of the encounter (this version also grants Hard Mode loot). For some reason, I enjoy fights with multiple bosses, and I think this one is pretty well designed.

The kill order for this strategy is Steelbreaker > Runemaster Molgeim > Stormcaller Brundir.

The fight has three phases and each phase will have different hazards that will need to be navigated/mitigated by different members of the raid.

To begin the raid, each tank should grab a different boss and pull them to a different area of the room. Stormcaller Brundir, in particular, must be seperated from the rest of the raid, to avoid anybody being caught in the radius of his Overload. A Warrior or Death Knight are the best tank to use on Brundir, as they have a variety of interrupts they can use to stop Brundir's Chain Lightnings and Lightning Whirls. Runemaster Molgeim can be tanked by any sort of tank, as long as someone can dispel the shield of runes he applies on himself. On 10 man, having one person tank both the Runemaster and Brundir at once is not unusual. Finally, paladins are the best tanks to use on Steelbreaker, as they are capable of dispelling the Fusion Punch effect he applies on them. If another tank is used on Steelbreaker, a paladin or priest will need to be assigned to dispel Fusion Punch ASAP.

Steelbreaker's tank will be taking very heavy damage throughout phase 1, while the damage to the other tanks will be a bit lower. Melee dps should stay stacked up to assist raid healers, as they will be taking AoE damage from Steelbreaker's aura.

As long as Runemaster Molgeim is alive, the tanks must watch if he casts Rune of Power under their boss. If the blue rune appears, they must move the boss away. If Rune of Power is cast under Steelbreaker during phase 1, after the tank moves Steelbreaker out, dps should immediately move onto the rune and use any cooldowns available to get him down, as they receive a 50% damage buff while on the rune. It is also probably best to use Bloodlust here.

The most important part of Phase 1 is dispelling Steelbreaker's Fusion Punch and keeping bosses out of Runes of Power while your dps gets in. Phase 2 starts after Steelbreaker is slain and the Runemaster and Brundir will gain new abilities. This version of the fight gets much easier as each boss dies, in my opinion.

Dps should switch to Runemaster Molgeim after Steelbreaker is killed. He will continue using Runes of Power on himself and Stormcaller Brundir. Raid members will need to pay attention and make sure to stay out of the GIANT GREEN FUCKOFF RUNE that he'll place under random raid members. Watch the video, seriously, you can't miss it. During this phase, Stormcaller Brundir will also begin using his Lightning Whirl ability. The person/tank interrupting Brundir should prioritize this ability over his chain lightnings if they are limited in how often they can interrupt.

Dispelling Brundir's Shield of Runes during phase 2 is much more important as the raid will be doing damage fast enough to break it extremely quickly. If not dispelled, the tank will take increased damage and healers should be prepared for this.

If players stay out of the Rune of Death and Brundir's Lightning Whirl is interrupted quickly, this phase should be simple enough. Once Runemaster Molgeim is slain, phase 3 begins.

The entire raid will now turn to focus Stormcaller Brundir. Players should help interrupt Chain Lightnings and Lightning Whirls throughout this phase. Occassionally, Brundir will start to float into the air and lightning will shoot from him to the ground. All player should immediately spread out and run away from Brundir at this point. He will drop aggro from the tank and begin chasing around random players. The raid should watch Brundir and move away from him and anybody he happens to be chasing. After about 20 seconds of chasing, he'll come back down to the ground. A tank will need to taunt him to pick him up, and dps can resume as normal until he takes off again.

If the raid keeps spread out and runs away from Lightning Tendrils, this phase is the easiest of the 3.

This fight has a 15 minute enrage timer.

Roles:
Tanks (2 in 10, 3 in 25): Keep Brundir away from the rest of the raid. Interrupt/dispel if you are capable. Use cooldowns intelligently and don't stand in bad stuff. Keep your bosses out of Runes of Power.
Healers (2-3 in 10, 5-7 in 25): Prepare for heavy damage on the Steelbreaker tank during phase 1. Molgeim will also have the capability for increased damage in phase 2 and during phase 3, Brundir's damage buff will be high enough that he is also a threat to your tank though most of the phase 3 damage will be raid-wide. Don't stand in bad stuff. Dispel Fusion Punch during phase 1 if you are not using a paladin tank.
Dps: If you are assigned to a special job (interrupting Brundir, dispelling Fusion Punch, or dispelling Shield of Runes), then pay attention. Don't stand in bad stuff, do stand in good stuff.

Algalon Bugs:
Will update later.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Dearest Nerds,

Let's raid this weekend so I can get an SP set.

Sincerely,
The Top Goon

(Maverick)

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I hate you guys.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Khako posted:

I hate you guys.

I hate myself too.

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
What's the stance on "multi boxing"? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

It's perfectly fine, the server forums actually have a board dedicated to that.

http://www.dalaran-wow.com/forums/community/multiboxing

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 22, 2014

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."

SlimBrady posted:

It's perfectly fine, the server forums actually have a board dedicated to that.

http://www.dalaran-wow.com/forums/community/multiboxing

Cool, I want to level a paladin, but first levels are such a pain in the rear end. Will help to have a dps class backing me up for a while.

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica
big fan so far... sad that so few people seem to be around. level 11 now, woot.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

xechostormx posted:

big fan so far... sad that so few people seem to be around. level 11 now, woot.
A lot of people buy lvl 70 so youll see more folks once you reach northrend.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
http://www.dalaran-wow.com/forums/news-and-rules/news-and-announcements/topic/3328/ulduar-pre-nerf-beta-test-friday-29th-18-00-st

quote:

Hello there Community,

We have sent all the Beta Test invitations already and as you all probably know, we are finishing the last details for it. The Beta test will start the next friday 29th, at 18:00 Server Time.

Every invited player and guild, must have his character prepared during this wednesday 27th, because we will copy him then. So if you want gems, enchants or something specific for the Beta, you need to have it in your personal inventory during the next wednesday. We are still waiting for some guild members lists, though.

As many of you know, we have implemented most of all the "pre-nerf" original details from the 3.1 patch that Blizzard did change, which means that during the Beta Test and during the official release on the Algalon realm, Ulduar will re-live its glorious pre-nerf state, once again. Hard, but epic.

We have worked a lot on it, and we really hope you all enjoy it.

Thank you very much.

No indication as to how long the beta test lasts, but it starts next Friday.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How dare they ignore Algalons #1 Raiding Guild and not give us invites

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Kologarn

Trash:
Kologarn basically has the same trash as Assembly of Iron. It exists, but I can't remember what it does.

Videos:
Tankspot/Melee dps perspective: http://www.wowwiki.com/File:TankSpot%27s_Guide_to_Kologarn
Boomkin perspective: http://www.wowwiki.com/File:Kologarn_Tactics_Tutorial_%28Narrated%29

Gimmick:
Kologarn has multiple body parts. Destroying one transfers the damage to the main body. Each body part has different abilities. Stay out of bad stuff.

Abilities:
Overhead Smash: Used on the Main Tank. Reduces their armor by 25% for 45 seconds, stacks up to 4 times. This requires tank swaps. On 10 man it only lasts for 6 seconds and does not require a tank swap.
Petrifying Breath: Used on the raid if the Main Tank is not in melee range. Causes massive AE damage that will wipe the raid.
Focused Eyebeam: Generally used on ranged dps or healers. Eyebeams shoot from Kologarn that will follow a player for a few seconds. Does about 4-6k nature damage per second. The player should run along the outside wall of the room and other players should stay out of their way.

Left Arm: (his left, our right)
Shockwave: Causes about 10-15k nature damage to the entire raid. Raid healing must be high enough to heal through this.

Right Arm: (his right, our left)
Stone Grip: Picks up 3 random raid members (1 in 10 man) and does about 5-6k damage per second to them until they are freed. Players will be freed if the arm is destroyed or 450k (150k in 10 man) damage is done. If players are not freed within 15 seconds, they will be killed automatically. While being held, the raid members are essentially stunned and cannot perform any actions.

Destroying an arm will also cause about 5 earth elementals to spawn that should be picked up by an offtank and AoE'd down by the ranged dps.

Strategy:
Kologarn is a pretty simple boss fight that will mostly test the healers, as there is significant raid damage and tank damage during the encounter.

The encounter begins as soon as any member of the raid enters Kologarn's room. The main tank(s) should immediately move into melee range. Melee dps should position themselves under Kologarn's right arm (on our left when facing him) and all dps should focus the right arm. The right arm will occasionally pick up 3 raid members and stun them for 15 seconds. The raid must do 450k damage or destroy the arm to free the trapped players. If the players are not freed within 15 seconds, they are killed. Meanwhile, the left arm (on our right when facing him) will sweep the room every 5-10 seconds or so, causing about 10-15k raidwide nature damage. In addition, every 15 seconds or so Kologarn will target a random raid member, usually a ranged dps or healer, and use his Eyebeams on them. That player should immediately run back to the entrance of the room and run along the outside wall until the Eyebeams cease. Other ranged and healers should be careful to avoid the player.

The hitboxes for Kologarn's arms and torso are massive. While players focus the right arm, it is likely that the torso and left arm will be hit by any incidental AoE that players use. In addition, when an arm is destroyed, the maximum hit points of the arm (2.3 million in 25, 450k in 10) will be subtracted from the torso. After the right arm is destroyed, several earth elemental adds will spawn under it that should be immediately picked up by a tank. Paladin tanks are excellent for this job. They should be pulled away from the melee group and ranged dps should aoe the elementals down. Dps should focus the torso after the right arm is destroyed and the adds have been taken care of. After about 30 seconds, a destroyed arm will regenerate, and dps should go back to killing the right arm.

Due to the incidental AoE and occasional periods of sustained dps on the torso, it usually takes about 4 arm destructions to kill Kologarn. After the right arm has been destroyed 2 or 3 times, it is likely that the left arm will be looking pretty weak, and as long as the offtank is ready to pickup additional Earth Elementals, it will be safe to focus down the last few percents of health of the left arm before attacking the torso. Destroying the left arm accidentally when the offtank is not ready could cause a problem, however.

A lot of the raid-wide damage is nature-based, so a hunter or paladin can put up the appropriate aura to help mitigate some of this damage.

One final note, Kologarn is standing over a bottomless pit and you will die if you fall in it. Because Kologarn's hitbox is so large, you don't need to get right up on the edge to damage him.

Kologarn has no hard mode, and I don't remember him having an enrage. If I wiped to him on retail it was just due to healers being unable to keep up with the damage.

Roles:
Tanks (2 in 10, 3-4 in 25): Use cooldowns effectively as Kologarn hits tanks very hard. On 25 man, make sure to tank swap at two stacks of Crunch Armor. The offtank should be quick to pick up the earth elemental adds that will spawn on the destruction of every arm. Don't fall in the hole.
Healers (2-3 in 10, 5-8 in 25): Prepare for heavy tank and raid damage. Healers may need to be assigned beforehand to ensure that players are organized. Be also aware that if multiple healers are grabbed by the right arm, they will need to be healed and somebody should heal their targets. Run back and then to the left if Kologarn targets you with his eyebeams.
Dps: Run back and then to the left if Kologarn targets you with his eyebeams. Focus the right arm whenever it is active. Only kill the left arm if the offtank is prepared to pickup the adds that will spawn. Don't fall in the hole.

Algalon Bugs:
Will update later.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
Now would be a great time to join goons, there are tons of fresh 80s and levelers with the upcoming Ulduar release.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
... i have to miss my own raid tonight possibly sorry goons

beeble
Apr 27, 2004

BEEBLE 09.JUL.14

The glory of the many demands more TECH SUPPORT. I FEEL GLORIOUS!
hello my character is Garage and I want to play this video game in this guild please invite me thanks cool

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

Hello there,

The Beta Test will have a minimum duration of 5 days - from friday's 18:00 Server Time, to tuesday's 00:00 Server Time. However, it might get extended in function of the progression, in order to have tested as much as you can. Of course, you will be able to raid 10 and 25 player modes at any given point. So, feel free to organize several groups.

We need it to be tested with Naxxramas gear, but if we see that our testers are having a bad time progressing through the Hard Modes, we will provide a vendor with Shirt of the Yogg-Slayer , as Demetori did suggest. Ulduar is quite a hard raid and some bosses have an implicit gear requirement to be defeated.

Remember, the main intention of the Beta is to test the encounters in order to report us that what is not working as it should but.

I will edit the main post with this text.

Thank you very much.

BiggerThanPete
Nov 11, 2012

Guys, I'm going in.

beeble posted:

hello my character is Garage and I want to play this video game in this guild please invite me thanks cool

Sorry we were just getting ready to pull a boss when you messaged me. Hit me up again when you get on next for an invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Auriaya (aka The Crazy Cat Lady)

Trash:
I don't remember too well the trash in Auriaya's room. You don't have to kill them before fighting her, but you will need to kill them to reach any subsequent bosses. I'm pretty sure they're giants, and I sort of remember some mechanic where someone would have to run far away. Either they targeted the furthest raid member with a debuff or they had to be taunted and kited because of a buff they put on themselves. Something like that :iiam:

Videos:
Tankspot - 10 man melee dps perspective: http://www.wowwiki.com/File:TankSpot%27s_Guide_to_Auriaya
25 man Boomkin perspective: http://www.wowwiki.com/File:Auriaya_Tutorial_%28Narrated%29

Gimmick:
Survive the first 30 seconds. Successfully manage the void zones and interrupt the Sentinel Blasts.

Abilities:
Terrifying Screech: Fears the raid for 5 seconds. Works like a Priest's Psychic Scream.
Sentinel Blast: Used immediately following a Terrifying Screech. This spell is channeled by Auriaya and inflicts 6k shadow damage per second to the raid and increases shadow damage done by 100%, stacking 5 times. A character must be ready with a fear-break and an interrupt after each Terrifying Screech to prevent this ability from channeling more than twice on the raid.
Sonic Screech: A cone AoE that does over 200k damage, divided amongst all the targets in range. The raid has to stack up in front of her to prevent tanks from being one-shot.
Summon Swarming Guardians: A bunch of tiny panthers attack the raid, similar to Maexxna's spiderlings, these should be AE'd down.

Auriaya also has two other types of adds in the encounter: Sanctum Sentries (2 in 10 man, 4 in 25 man) and a Feral Defender.

Sanctum Sentry: (These have an aggro table and are present at the start of the encounter)
Savage Pounce: Does about 8k damage and another 8k damage per second for 5 seconds. Used if its target is outside of melee range.
Rip Flesh: A nasty dot applied to the tank. Does about 5k per 2 seconds per stack.
Strength of the Pack: Increases the damage of other Sanctum Sentries by 50%.

Feral Defender: (This spawns about a minute into the fight and will be resurrected every 30 seconds after being slain. This has no aggro table and will attack random targets.)
Feral Pounce: Works the same as the Sanctum Sentry's pounce, though not nearly as deadly.
Feral Rush: Does about 2k damage and interrupts casting.
Seeping Feral Essence: Leaves behind a void zone whenever the Feral Defender is slain that deals 9k damage per second to any raid members that stand in the area.

Strategy:
The most difficult part of this encounter is the first 30 seconds following the pull. The presence of the 4 (2 in 10 man) Sanctum Sentries means that the damage to the tanks is much higher at this point in the encounter than any other. The other problem is that if Auriaya is pulled normally, the Sentries will all pounce the puller each applying an 8k/second dot on the tank. Not good.

The entire raid must hide behind a corner of the room to break line of sight from Auriaya and her sentries, that way the sentries will be unable to pounce. This can work if a hunter is available to misdirect Auriaya to the Main tank. Another option is to use a delayed method to start the encounter. A death knight offtank could drop Death and Decay in their path, or a Shaman could lay a totem. If none of these options are available, a single tank could blow several cooldowns to start the pull and eat all 4 pounces.

The idea is to have the raid keep out of line of sight, but be in melee range as soon as the sentries round a corner, so they are unable to pounce. Each tank should be assigned to pick up aggro on only one or two targets. The main tank on Auriaya, and an offtank on two sentries each. Bloodlust should be used as soon as the adds have been picked up and dps should burn them down swiftly. Again, tank damage will be very heavy until the sentries are all killed.

After the sentries are slain, the fight becomes about maintaining control over positioning and stopping Auriaya's Sentinel Blasts. Every 30 seconds or so Auriaya will use Terrifying Screech, fearing and scattering the raid, followed immediately by Sentinel Blast. If Sentinel Blast is allowed to channel uninterrupted for the full 5 seconds, it will very likely wipe the raid. A player must be available who can break the fear early (Will of the Forsakened, Berserk, Berserker Rage, etc.) and interrupt the Sentinel Blast channel. A warrior makes for an excellent main tank for these purposes, as the 30 second cooldown of Berserker Rage should allow them to break the fear and Shield Bash the spell every time.

After the fear ends (use tremor totem, btw) the raid should immediately re-stack up in front of Auriaya. The Sonic Screech ability that Auriaya uses will one-shot the main tank unless it is divided amongst most (if not all) of the raid. Auriaya will also periodically summon a pack of small panthers that will randomly attack people in the raid. Dps should use their AE abilities to bring these down. Having the raid grouped up has the benefit of also making these easier to kill.

About 1 minute into the encounter, Auriaya will summon her Feral Defender. A spotted panther that has no aggro table and will randomly pounce and interrupt members of the raid. Dps should ignore the Feral Defender and continue dps on Auriaya while the healers keep everybody topped off. The Defender will be unable to pounce if the raid is grouped up, but after each Terrifying Screech it will likely pounce as the raid is scattered.

The Feral Defender will no doubt be taking incidental AE damage and at around 5-10% health an offtank should be available to taunt it out of the raid. While it has no aggro table, it will remain fixated on the tank for the duration of the taunt. Dps should be prepared to immediately burn it down while it is not in the midst of the raid. As soon as the Feral Defender is killed, a void zone spawns under its corpse that deals 9k damage per second. If the Feral Defender is mistakenly slain in the raid everybody should be prepared to immediately shift about 10 yards to stay out of the void zone. Void zones spawned by killing the Feral Defender persist until the encounter is completed. After about 30 seconds, the Feral Defender will respawn and the process repeats.

After the hectic initial pull, this fight just becomes about managing the fears, avoiding the void zones and minimizing the number of times you need to kill the Feral Defender. Auriaya has a hard enrage of 10 minutes. There is no hard mode for the encounter though you can get an achievement if you kill the Feral Defender 9 times (because it has nine lives harhar) or if you manage to kill Auriaya without killing the Sanctum Sentries.

Full Disclosure: We're starting to get to the encounters that I have not done on 25 man, so I'm relying pretty heavily on the videos and Wowwiki information to bridge the gap between the 10 mans and 25 mans. For instance, on retail we usually got Auriaya down around the same time we killed the Feral Defender for the third time in 10 man. I don't know how many Feral Defender kills that translates to on 25 man.

Killing Auriaya gives access to the 4 titans and is basically the half-way point in Ulduar. The fights get a bit harder afterwards, in my opinion.

Roles:
Tanks (2 in 10, 3-4 in 25): Be prepared for very heavy damage right from the start. Make sure to avoid line of sight with the sentries until they are right in melee range. If you are a warrior main tanking Auriaya, be prepared to break fear and interrupt her Sentinel Blast. Don't stand in void zones. Offtanks should keep the Feral Defender out of the raid when it is getting close to dying.
Healers (2-3 in 10, 5-7 in 25): The tanks will take very heavy damage right from the outset. Stay out of void zones. Random targets will be taking damage while the feral defender is alive, but it should be manageable. Raid damage will be heaviest after the Sonic Screech and Terrifying Screech. Be prepared to use emergency heals on anybody that is feared through a void zone.
Dps: Burn cooldowns to kill the Sanctum Sentries as soon as they have been picked up by the tanks. AE down the tiny panthers, but avoid damaging the Feral Defender until the call is given to kill it outside of the raid. Stay out of the void zones. Melee will have to stack up on the main tank and dps from Auriaya's front.

Algalon Bugs:
Will update later.

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 25, 2014

• Locked thread