Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Lizard Combatant posted:

:wtc:

Just noticed the Hockey-chair's legs

Pope's Abbott-face is second to none. The dead eyed, inanimate simian rictus depicted identically in every cartoon is a stroke of genius.

Edit: as is this snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Scott Morrison is fronting the RC into Children in Detention and (this may surprise you) is Literally Hitler

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
We're all so supportive of Mr Shorten through his RAPE allegations. It's really unfortunate that Bill Shorten could have been accused of RAPE, which is such an awful thing, and we of both side of the house come behind him in support during this troubling time and are so pleased that Mr Shorten was found to not be a RAPIST. There's even a statement here from the Communications Minister Mr Turnbull stating how Mr Shorten has his support as he understands how traumatic it would be to be accused of RAPE.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

"If private insurers are able to engage in directional contracting, they won’t be providing the care but they will be saying to the providers (doctors) we want you to deliver this outcome".

Be clear. That outcome won't be "40% reduction in embolisms", it will be "Spend less then $12 and don't prescribe expensive medications no matter what the side effects".

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Nibbles! posted:

I think we'll probably see even more of a shift away from news. News.com is already lovely click bait, they're trying to compete with the Mail now so it really is a race to the bottom.

It's not just tabloids subsidising the Oz though - it's just their losses are less severe. Fox Sports and the shares in realestate.com.au are propping up even the least unprofitable papers.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Live stream of the Australian Human Rights Commission's inquiry into children in detention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvPPOTLRrrk

Distressingly, I think Morrison performed well. Counsel Assisting needed to be much more of an attack dog, and the President slipped up embarrassingly a few times.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Those On My Left posted:

Live stream of the Australian Human Rights Commission's inquiry into children in detention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvPPOTLRrrk

Distressingly, I think Morrison performed well. Counsel Assisting needed to be much more of an attack dog, and the President slipped up embarrassingly a few times.

Yeah I was thoroughly disheartened that Counsel Assisting flubbed a couple of times and Morrison handled himself as well as he did.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
New cast list for ICAC.

ICAC posted:

Monday 25 August 2014
David Sharpe
Darren Williams
Matt Kelly

Tuesday 26 August 2014
Kristina Keneally
Ian McNamara
Nathan Tinkler
John Hart

Wednesday 27 August 2014
Tony Kelly
Warwick Watkins
Ross Cadell
Joe Tripodi

Thursday 28 August 2014
Eric Roozendaal
Craig Baumann

Friday 29 August 2014
Garry Edwards
Mark Regent
David Simmons
Bart Bassett

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ooooh, Tinkler on Tuesday will be great

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I wonder if we say Abbott or Hockey's name three times they'll appear...

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Bart Bassett :allears:

That one's as crooked as a dog's hind leg. Him in front of ICAC is going to be hilarious.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Bart Bassett :allears:

That one's as crooked as a dog's hind leg. Him in front of ICAC is going to be hilarious.

BREAKING: You'll never guess what this one Greens Candidate said about a sitting NSW MP!

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Do you think Bart Bassett will be... hounded... by the media? :D

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Les Affaires posted:

Do you think Bart Bassett will be... hounded... by the media? :D

:siren: PLATINUM BASSETT :siren:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Who the hell names their kid Bartholomew Bassett.

Then again, I walked past a cafe the other day and some parents were shouting at their kid and its name was Napoleon.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

Tories.

Bartholomew Roderick Templeton Bassett! Leave your brother alone this instant! oh look, youve gone and got your nice new trousers all dirty, go wash off immediately and change, we have to get to church!

<:mad:>

The people have spoken...

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Kommando posted:

The people have spoken...

Put that in your mandate Tony.

Clive Palmer is still doing just enough to stay in the news.

quote:

As editor of the Lowy Interpreter Sam Roggenveen points out, Australia's image as a robust democracy is seen as one of our greatest soft-power strengths.
"So while Bishop was telling the Chinese ambassador how disgraceful Palmer's comments were, I hope she also found time to say that this sort of thing is commonplace in a democracy, and that as a nation we not only survive it but are even strengthened by the debate it provokes," he said.
:australia:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/clive-palmer-declared-unreasonable-and-absurd-by-chinas-foreign-ministry-20140822-1075s0.html#ixzz3B5cUrw00

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 22, 2014

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Les Affaires posted:

BREAKING: You'll never guess what this one Greens Candidate said about a sitting NSW MP!

I would have "Bart Bassett is as crooked as a dog's hind leg" as a quote next to my picture in a national newspaper without a hint of shame.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I haven't seen this get much coverage - but Palmer is changing his policy making it easier for his ETS to kick in by removing India and changing the conditions so countries with similar schemes count.

I know he is a crazy self serving bastard, but I am an eternal optimist. Holding a summit on climate change right after the G20 is a top tier troll.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/clive-palmer-tones-down-conditions-for-emissions-trading-scheme-20140821-106u3o.html

SMH posted:

Clive Palmer has softened the conditions under which his proposed emissions trading scheme would be launched, in an attempt to attract more political support for a new price on carbon.

The details of Mr Palmer's proposed trading scheme, which he first floated in an unlikely joint news conference with former US vice-president Al Gore in June, were circulated to the government, opposition and other senators on Thursday.

In a move that would make it easier for the conditions necessary for emissions trading to be met, Mr Palmer has dropped India from a list of countries that would have to take broad action on climate change before an Australian scheme would kick in.

He has also relaxed the conditions that must be met by the US, China, the European Union, Japan and South Korea for a scheme to be launched.

The Palmer United Party is hopeful Labor and the Greens will back the scheme in the Senate because the PUP proposal largely replicates the architecture of the carbon price passed by the Gillard government. But even if Labor and the Greens passed it in the Senate, it is unlikely the legislation would get through the House of Representatives, given the federal government's opposition to a price on carbon.

Neither Labor nor the Greens would comment on the latest PUP proposal on Thursday.

Mr Palmer, who announced this week plans to host a world climate change conference after November's G20 summit in Brisbane, said his intention was to relaunch the debate over carbon pricing after the federal government repealed the carbon tax with his party's support.

"The carbon tax was an arbitrary tax that was five to six times the international price and Australians realised that," he said.

"What we want is something that is fair, reasonable and that, internationally, doesn't affect our industries and jobs."

Mr Palmer described the proposal, which is expected to be introduced in the next sitting of Parliament which begins on Monday, as "good policy".

The legislation would give the Climate Change Authority power to determine if the international conditions had been met to trigger an Australian scheme. But either house could still move to disallow the authority's ruling.

Despite earlier suggestions from Mr Palmer that big trading partners would be required to install their own national trading schemes, the draft legislation now says they could also have in place "equivalent schemes" that are similar or have a comparable effect as any Australian emissions trading scheme.

The proposal also sets out that the trading scheme must not "unfairly impact" Australian businesses relative to the businesses of the US, the EU, Japan, Korea and China.

Sources close to the Palmer camp acknowledged that with the government unlikely to back the scheme, the move was more a political "symbol that carbon pricing will come back".
A spokeswoman for Environment Minister Greg Hunt said the Coalition's policy was not to support an emissions trading scheme, and instead it would continue to work with the Senate on its alternative direct action climate change policy.

"What is being proposed is a re-work of the carbon tax bill which was just repealed," she said.

Mr Palmer has previously suggested he could make government support for his trading scheme proposal a condition of PUP support for direct action.

Mr Palmer's senators will hold talks over the weekend to discuss whether their support for direct action will depend on the federal government shifting its position on a floating carbon price.

Environment groups, including the Climate Institute and WWF, have welcomed the amendment, but argue that the conditions set out in Mr Palmer's proposal have largely already been met by the five trading partners.

WWF national climate change manager Kellie Caught said there was "support among Australians for an ETS" because polluter-pays schemes were seen as fair policy.
"Tony Abbott has shown his willingness to listen and compromise on policies over the last few months," Ms Caught said.

"We think this is an opportunity for the government to take a look at this."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mad Katter posted:

Then again, I walked past a cafe the other day and some parents were shouting at their kid and its name was Napoleon.

If I get another Dachshund I've already decided his name will be Napoleon - sausage dogs are basically Napoleon complex in canine form.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Trucking analogy 'ludicrous'
George Pell is under fire for comparing the church to a trucking company which employs a sexual predator.

:allears:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The two hugest shitlords in Australia (Scott Morrison defender of child torture and Cardinal Pell defender of child molestation) facing commissions today and rightly being criticised for being huge shitlords in front of their respective enquiries.
Today is an ok day.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Votes are at 5077 - percentage is exactly the same.

Daaaamn.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Pell's comments are pretty egregious given that a truck crashed in Adelaide this week, killing two and the company grounded the fleet as a result.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

WebDog posted:

Pell's comments are pretty egregious given that a truck crashed in Adelaide this week, killing two and the company grounded the fleet as a result.
And nobody is suggesting the driver was a sexual predator....

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I am amazed that Bartholomew Bassett MLA is not just a character on Mad As Hell

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon posted:

And nobody is suggesting the driver was a sexual predator....

This is starting to sound like CNNNN's A Chaser affair skits.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/08/22/chris-kenny-barista-how-the-australian-can-become-profitable/

Crikey bringin' the sass:

quote:

The Australian newspaper, including its online version, is vocal when it comes to the economic debate about labour market flexibility, the need to end penalty wage payments, boosting productivity and skills development. It is a champion of market forces and limitless flexibility for employees so that firms can remain profitable and can continue to hire workers and keep the overall unemployment rate down.

It is with this in mind that a recent case study popped into the news.

A business is losing money, and lots of it. This is because of competition and technology at one level, but also because it seems to have a high wage base. The average wage per employee is, staggeringly, two-and-a-half times the national average. The firm only keeps going because of a huge cross-subsidy from the profitable arms of the overall company.

The brand is valuable — a 50-year-old icon in its field, which means it just might be possible to turn it around if some tough decisions are taken by management in terms of its staff and productivity efforts.

No, the firm in not the Australian car industry. No, not the building industry. No, sorry, not Qantas or the suburban cafe, allegedly struggling with exorbitant penalty rates for workers on a Sunday morning when diners pop in for a $21 big breakfast, which includes eggs of your choice, bacon, sausage, a hash brown, baked beans, mushroom and sourdough toast.

It is The Australian.

If I were to ask the opinion of writers and journalists of The Australian how management should react to the challenge it is confronting, I am sure the answers would revolve around lowering costs, greater productivity, wage cuts and getting rid of all the cross-subsidies to let the business sink or swim.

The likes of The Australian’s Judith Sloan, Henry Ergas, Chris Kenny and Adam Creighton have been writing about how labour market flexibility, in its optimal form, should result in wages cut when firms are doing it tough and losing money. They advocate that in addition to a pay cut, workers should become more productive — that is, doing more for a given level of pay. These gurus of free-market labour markets would, when aiming to boost productivity, suggest an extra column per week from the insightful Christian Kerr or yet another two made-up exclusives each day from Hedley Thomas or another look at the Rudd/Gillard tensions from Troy Bramston. Maybe for Troy, they can print the same column every other Tuesday, just above the fee-free ad for the Car and Gadgets column in The Weekend Australian.

Wow! How many pages could be filled each day if this came to pass?

It is more for less. This is a model to return the once great newspaper to profitability.

The fact that this loss machine at The Australian pays an average yearly salary of $178,000 is fantastic. There is so much fat that can be cut. It is not like the paper has been run as a lean, mean machine where savings options are exhausted, or that there has been an effort to boost productivity in the past.

A reduction in the average salary to, say, one-and-a-half times the average weekly earnings (still well over $100,000 a year) would be a great step, no, a necessary step, to allow this once great newspaper to become profitable.

If, however, The Australian fails to implement what is preaches to every other economic manager and policymaker and the business does go bust, it will be a sad day. It is always a tragedy when jobs are lost.

When jobs are lost in the real world, The Australian triumphs a need for employee flexibility. Take a job in a different city, pick fruit, whatever comes along — and don’t be a job snob!

If the worst happens and everyone at The Australian were to lose their jobs, the current writers could try their hand in the high-wage, high-labour-cost food and catering industry. Sloan, Ergas, Creighton and Kenny have all bemoaned, at one time or another, the crippling nature of weekend penalty rates in the food sector and how cafes and restaurants have to shut on Sundays because of these wages and employment conditions.

Well, if conditions are so wonderfully good in a cafe, we can look forward to stumping up to the funky local breakfast place one Sunday morning and see Henry Ergas raking in an excessive salary as he makes eggs florentine. Of course, Chris Kenny would be thrilled to be a barista making a carbon-free decaf soy latte while Judith Sloan beavers away on the home-made baked beans, poached eggs and cous cous infused with a hint of Atlantic salmon. Adam Creighton would be on the juicing machine — trying to get the market to determine the right mix of raspberries, strawberries and blueberries in the ideal smoothie.

The end game, of course, is that The Australian is not practising what it preaches. It is bleeding money, and the wage rates appear ridiculous. Writers don’t seem to write all that much, so the cost per square centimetre of copy (productivity, in other words) is dismally low.

The Australian needs to turn things around turn. If it is to follow its mantra to government and other industries, it must deliver massive cuts to the wages of its staff, getting them to write more.

It needs to show flexibility so Henry Ergas could be the culinary writer and Adam Creighton can prepare the crosswords and Judith Sloan on cartoons. Dennis Shanahan could have a satirical column on the Newspoll results each fortnight.

To the team at The Australian  — you know what to do. It makes sense, so go to it. Flexibility, flexibility, flexibility.

For maximum lol, the article is written by an anonymous "senior economics commentator." Also

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
It's pretty much 100% obvious that "senior economics commentator" is The Kouk

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Any company with 5% child molesters would be down in instant, let alone one that new about allegations and decided to transfer people around and keep the police out of it.

Oh, and offering payouts on the condition of non-disclosure.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Milky Moor posted:

Votes are at 5077 - percentage is exactly the same.

Daaaamn.
On the other hand:

quote:

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has said that the last thing voters want is another election as he tried to hose down more commentary that his government has done a poor job of selling its budget.

Speaking to Adelaide radio on Friday, Mr Abbott expressed his reluctance to have a double dissolution election if key budget measures continue to be blocked by the Senate.
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...822-1073fu.html

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Nibbles! posted:

Any company with 5% child molesters would be down in instant, let alone one that new about allegations and decided to transfer people around and keep the police out of it.

Oh, and offering payouts on the condition of non-disclosure.

Unless they were an important part of the life of some very influential people, then it would take years to do anything about it. See also asbestos, smoking, climate change etc etc.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/08/22/chris-kenny-barista-how-the-australian-can-become-profitable/

Crikey bringin' the sass:

For maximum lol, the article is written by an anonymous "senior economics commentator." Also

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I can't think of many things more predictable than Abbott backing out of his DD commitment.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I hope people start publicly calling Abbott a coward and his ego gets in the way.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
Can someone re-post the comparison of how many pieces of legislation the current government has passed so far compared to previous governments?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

So Chris Kenney is a coffee frother? :v:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WebDog posted:

So Chris Kenney is a coffee frother? :v:

Not in frame: Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Nice avatar :stare:

webmeister fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 22, 2014

• Locked thread