Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

seiferguy posted:

That darn Eisenhower, he golfed over 800 times in office! :bahgawd:

What a load of crap.

Does any such break down of vacation days by president exist?

Specifically that's not just Obama vs. Bush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

FuzzySkinner posted:

The right seriously made me like and defend Miley Cyrus (to an extent)

There was literally a women on Fox News's "The Five" that called her "Twerking" the "Darkest Day in American History"

That's how stupid and non self aware these people are.

"THEY'RE supposed to be copying OUR culture! Not the other way around! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Crain posted:

What a load of crap.

Does any such break down of vacation days by president exist?

Actually, the Post just had a decent writeup.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-presidential-vacations/2014/08/15/2aa969c6-2311-11e4-958c-268a320a60ce_story.html

Their hearts and best intentions still tell them Obama's taken more than half the vacation days that Reagan had, but the facts and evidence should tell them that it is not the case.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Internet Webguy posted:

"THEY'RE supposed to be copying OUR culture! Not the other way around! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!"

Stealing from African American culture is a proud US music industry tradition :colbert:.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A scantily clad young woman shaking her butt on MTV? That has certainly never happened before!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr Christmas posted:

A scantily clad young woman shaking her butt on MTV? That has certainly never happened before!

Could have been worse. It could have been a boob on national television where children could see it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

VitalSigns posted:

He had an answer for this

Essentially, he is arguing that the cop should be acquitted under the Missouri law as it is on the books (because Garner didn't specifically overturn Missouri's law for the reason given above), and even though he believes the law is unconstitutional, that doesn't matter because it's the law now, and even though he thinks the Supreme Court would/should rule to overturn it, that doesn't matter because once the cop is acquitted the state can't appeal so it will never get to the Supreme Court anyway.

Michigan and Missouri are different states in different circuits. Does he have any caselaw that's actually relevant to the application of Garner in the Brown case?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Crain posted:

No one gave a poo poo until Bush and Obama spent all of their time not doing anything.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Michigan and Missouri are different states in different circuits.
Yeah I said that too, he just said it's persuasive even if it's not controlling so he thinks that the Missouri courts should acquit the cop even if Brown was trying to escape and the courts should keep doing that until either the legislature changes the law or one of these fleeing felon laws comes before the Supreme Court in a criminal context and get overturned.

Of course, this doesn't even get into the whole issue of whether it's reasonable for a cop in a police car to believe that deadly force is the only way to stop a man fleeing on foot in the street in broad daylight, but hey.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xergm posted:

Found this one on Facebook this morning.

Without the editor trying to defend it its only half as horrible.

Gary McCoys Editor posted:

I admit I didn’t anticipate the reaction. I’m responding to complaints, most of which have come through the Twitter universe, by asking them to consider the context. On three of the preceding four days our editorial page featured local cartoons about the Michael Brown tragedy, the militarization of the police response and a likeness of Lady Justice with six bullet wounds.
The editorial cartoon yesterday accompanied a Rich Lowry column about the unfortunate presence of looters and how that is not a legitimate form of protest. Provocative yes. Racist? Certainly not in intent.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ahaha, he even has an Obama t-shirt because of course he has. :911:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Plasmas are obsolete anyway its all about LCD and LED now.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Two people have shared this. Both white people who, as far as I know, do not listen to rap.

Stuff like this is really only posted by people who haven't listened to hip-hop since like 1992. Rappers have been calling out hatred and misogyny for years, of course every time Kanye publicly does so people just classify it as "another crazy Kanye rant". Plus when some white dude shoots a bunch of people, does anyone ever call on country artists to reign in their misogyny and lawlessness?

I want to post Killer Mike's CNN interview in the comments but I'm sure she will just focus on his name being Killer Mike.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Please do not let your children listen to country music. Maybe the white community needs to ask itself some hard questions and take cultural responsibility for the multiple mass shootings that occur every year.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Two people have shared this. Both white people who, as far as I know, do not listen to rap.

Stuff like this is really only posted by people who haven't listened to hip-hop since like 1992. Rappers have been calling out hatred and misogyny for years, of course every time Kanye publicly does so people just classify it as "another crazy Kanye rant". Plus when some white dude shoots a bunch of people, does anyone ever call on country artists to reign in their misogyny and lawlessness?

I want to post Killer Mike's CNN interview in the comments but I'm sure she will just focus on his name being Killer Mike.

Anytime people complain about rap, I always say "I was listening to the radio the other day and a horrible song came on. It was about being in prison and that he killed a man in Reno, just to watch him die" I can't believe that white people listen to that awful violent country music."

More violent gangster music:

quote:

Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds
I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down
I went right home and I went to bed
I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head

Got up next mornin' and I grabbed that gun
Took a shot of cocaine and away I run
Made a good run but I run too slow
They overtook me down in Juarez, Mexico

Late in the hot joints takin' the pills
In walked the sheriff from Jericho Hill
He said Willy Lee your name is not Jack Brown
You're the dirty heck that shot your woman down

Said yes, oh yes my name is Willy Lee
If you've got a warrant just a-read it to me
Shot her down because she made me slow
I thought I was her daddy but she had five more

When I was arrested I was dressed in black
They put me on a train and they took me back
Had no friend for to go my bail
They slapped my dried up carcass in that county jail

Early next mornin' bout a half past nine
I spied the sheriff coming down the line
Up then he coughed as he cleared his throat
He said, "Come on you dirty heck into that district court"

Into the courtroom my trial began
Where I was handled by twelve honest men
Just before the jury started out
I saw that little judge commence to look about

In about five minutes in walked the man
Holding the verdict in his right hand
The verdict read in the first degree
I hollered, "Lawdy Lawdy, have mercy on me"

The judge he smiled as he picked up his pen
99 years in the Folsom pen
99 years underneath that ground
I can't forget the day I shot that bad bitch down

Come on you've gotta listen unto me
Lay off that whiskey and let that cocaine be

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Kinda reminds me of when Common did that poetry reading at the White House and everybody flipped their poo poo about him being a "gangster thug". Goddamn, people, have you even listened to one of his songs? Someone on twitter called him the Tom Hanks of rap music and that is very true.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sir Rolo posted:

Please do not let your children listen to country music. Maybe the white community needs to ask itself some hard questions and take cultural responsibility for the multiple mass shootings that occur every year.

Aaron Lewis having been successful in his attempt to kill off mainstream rock radio(along with Disturbed, Nickelback, etc) in the 2000's moves on to his next genre.

gently caress that guy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

Aaron Lewis having been successful in his attempt to kill off mainstream rock radio(along with Disturbed, Nickelback, etc) in the 2000's moves on to his next genre.
Truly, a genre that will be badly missed.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Now, to be fair, after school shootings conservatives used to blame white metal artists and say they don't deserve freedom of speech.

Its amazing how being fair makes them sound like assholes.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Killer Mike is the D&Dest rapper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

Here's the CNN interview, since that's the first I heard of it, thanks!

EDIT: Oh my god Killer Mike is just so loving awesome, that interview is fantastic.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 22, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Now, to be fair, after school shootings conservatives used to blame white metal artists and say they don't deserve freedom of speech.

Its amazing how being fair makes them sound like assholes.

Oh poo poo, you're right, I remember that op-ed Marilyn Manson wrote in response.

Also everyone watch that Killer Mike interview. It's very good.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right, I remember that op-ed Marilyn Manson wrote in response.

I wonder if there is anything conservatives don't like that they haven't used to scapegoat something they caused.

School shootings is cause of the music kids these days like. The droughts, floods and hurricanes caused by global warming are actually made by "the gays". Poverty traps are caused by welfare. An under educated generation is caused by abortion. Government tyranny is caused by more efficient lightbulbs.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

My kids don't visit anymore because of Obama.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

PUGGERNAUT posted:

My kids don't visit anymore because of Obama.

My kids weren't even born because of Obamabortions.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

McDowell posted:

Plasmas are obsolete anyway its all about LCD and LED now.

LCD and LED are the same thing and plasma is better than both. :colbert:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Fulchrum posted:

Without the editor trying to defend it its only half as horrible.

No one "intends" to be racist. It's not like cops wake up, put on their uniforms and think to themselves "gonna shoot me some negros today."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Verisimilidude posted:

No one "intends" to be racist. It's not like cops wake up, put on their uniforms and think to themselves "gonna shoot me some negros today."

Well, maybe not, like, every cop.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

For everyone who didn't know

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Duke Igthorn posted:

The South was in favor of a states right to own slaves.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I said that too, he just said it's persuasive even if it's not controlling so he thinks that the Missouri courts should acquit the cop even if Brown was trying to escape and the courts should keep doing that until either the legislature changes the law or one of these fleeing felon laws comes before the Supreme Court in a criminal context and get overturned.

Of course, this doesn't even get into the whole issue of whether it's reasonable for a cop in a police car to believe that deadly force is the only way to stop a man fleeing on foot in the street in broad daylight, but hey.

"persuasive not controlling" is total bullshit- it's entirely up to the judge whether or not to cite to or rely on that rationale. It's not even a circuit court! I'd need to look at the Michigan case itself to see if it was a sane reading of Garner, but it would be a strange application of what I've read of the Garner decision.

This person is bending over backwards to make his argument seem like it's legally structured- it's very telling that he didn't start with "there's a decision out of Michigan that I think courts would use to say that the Missouri law is Constitutional and Brown's killing was legal".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 22, 2014

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Duke Igthorn posted:

There's a saying I like that I'll probably butcher, but it goes sorta like this:

People who know nothing about the civil war say it was about slavery.
People who know a little about the civil war say there were many different factors that lead to the war.
People who know a lot about the civil war say "nope, it was pretty much the slavery thing."

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Verisimilidude posted:

There's a saying I like that I'll probably butcher, but it goes sorta like this:

People who know a little about the civil war say there were many different factors that lead to the war.
People who know a lot about the civil war say "nope, it was pretty much the slavery thing."

It must also be noted that within the CSA constitution was a requirement that if a state decided to abolish slavery for their own reasons, they would have to go back to the Union or become a separate country, which I would call the exact opposite of State's Rights

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
South Carolina referenced slavery and the North's anti-slavery sentiment at least 6 times in its declaration of secession. But I'm sure that was just auto-correct.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Duke Igthorn posted:

For everyone including whoever made that image who didn't know, that flag is a very particular battle standard and not representative of their beloved Confederasah outside of a modern, incredibly racist application. gently caress this, holy poo poo

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Wasn't there a handy checklist of not-states-rights evidence?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Close enough!

quote:

People who know nothing about the civil war think it was about slavery

People who know a little about the civil war think it was about state’s rights

People who know a lot about the civil war know it was about slavery.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

Wasn't there a handy checklist of not-states-rights evidence?

Well, there's the US Constitution vs the CSA Constitution.

U.S. Constitution posted:

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

CSA Constitution posted:

No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.
Not only did the Confederate Constitution make slavery legal, it made it unconstitutional for individual states to pass any laws which would infringe the right to own slaves. States literally had no right to outlaw slavery in the Confederacy.

So much for "states' rights"

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Duke Igthorn posted:

:dealwithit: Eat poo poo Confederacy.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 22, 2014

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Sir Rolo posted:

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qF5lZ82Nys But yeah, a lot of it is horrible.

Edit: Actually this one is a little more applicable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXrwNkt4pHw

Anubis fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

whitey delenda est posted:

For everyone including whoever made that image who didn't know, that flag is a very particular battle standard and not representative of their beloved Confederasah outside of a modern, incredibly racist application. gently caress this, holy poo poo

Yeah these are the actual confederate flags.

The one people know today was specifically rejected as the national flag