Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
visceril
Feb 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

Why is rock and roll seemingly dead?

It's this

Tony Jowns posted:

anyone who says "x genre of art is dead" is actually saying "i'm too lazy to look for the good stuff and would rather complain about the youth"

Also it's that the radio promotes lovely rock, also bands are lingering around for a long-rear end time so everything feels like dad rock. For example, off the top of my head, Foo Fighters, Weezer, and Green Day are all nearly 20 years old. Think about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
rock's not completely dead but it's in the same revisionist phase jazz has been in since the mid-70s which people often mistake for decline. rap will get there eventually too, probably sooner

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Reminder that Macklemore won a Grammy

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
All I ask out of music is a sweet instrumental solo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
if you want to talk about an artistically bankrupt medium, nashville's current obsession with 80s buttrock is a prime target

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DemeaninDemon posted:

All I ask out of music is a sweet instrumental solo.

I know they're old and made some poo poo albums in the mid-90s to mid-2000s, but I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised by Metallica's Death Magnetic when it came out. Maybe this is that Aging Metalhead Syndrome everyone's been warning me I'd hit sometime in this point of my life :tinfoil:

euphronius posted:

The last good rock and roll album I can remember was American Idiot.

Hahaha, Green Day as anything other than a pop act. You're precious.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

visceril posted:

Reminder that Macklemore won a Grammy

Pretty sure Simpsons made jokes about the Grammys being bad when the years when the season number was still single digit.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

euphronius posted:

You have some good sports opinions but this is an offensive post and I will be reporting you to the Music Gestapo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mdemone posted:

aestheticization of politic

a good book:
http://www.amazon.com/Hitler-Power-Aesthetics-Frederic-Spotts/dp/1585673455

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Courtesy of Xylo, the proto-goon:

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit?printable=true

There's too much to selectively quote, the whole article is required reading. If we could get this man an account, LF superstars and hangers-on would buy him thousands of dollars worth of pants within days.

For anyone who still, mysteriously, has not clicked the link, a brief summary: in 1986, a 20 year old guy walks off into the woods of Maine and avoids all other humans for 27 years. But because he had zero survival training and had never even gone camping, he survived by stealing things from campers and winter cabins. Toilet paper, laundry detergent, hand sanitizer, shampoo, soap, junk food, an entire bed, a Gameboy (with Pokemon cartridge), Tom Clancy novels, disposable razors, watches, propane tanks.

quote:

Candy! Always good. Ten rolls of Smarties, stuffed in a pocket. Then, into his backpack, a bag of marshmallows, two tubs of ground coffee, some Humpty Dumpty potato chips. Burgers and bacon were in the locked freezer. On a previous raid at Pine Tree, he'd stolen a key to the walk-in, and now he used it to open the stainless-steel door.

[...]

I dug through his twenty-five years of trash, buried between boulders, and kept inventory: a five-pound tub that once held Marshmallow Fluff, an empty box of Devil Dogs, peanut butter, Cheetos, honey, graham crackers, Cool Whip, tuna fish, coffee, Tater Tots, pudding, soda, El Monterey spicy jalapeño chimichangas, and on and on and on.

[...]

He also stole the occasional handheld video game—Pokémon, Tetris, Dig Dug

[...]

He stole hundreds of books over the years; his preference was military history—he named William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich as his favorite book—but he took whatever was available. Magazines were more common. When he finished them, he'd create bricks of magazines, bound with electrical tape, and bury them in the ground to level out his camp. Beneath his tent area were dozens of these bricks.

I unearthed a stack of National Geographics with the dates still legible: 1991 and 1992. I also saw People, Cosmopolitan, Glamour, and Vanity Fair. There was even a collection of Playboys.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

euphronius posted:

Since you're apparently me in 8th grade, hey: buy some pants that aren't cargo pants and get a real haircut

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Chantilly Say posted:

Since you're apparently me in 8th grade, hey: buy some pants that aren't cargo pants and get a real haircut

No matter how hard you shout into the void of time, Chantilly Say, your younger self won't hear.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

that guy is a national treasure and he did nothing wrong

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Chantilly Say posted:

someone in 8th grade would have been 4 when american idiot came out

well gently caress now i feel old

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Speaking of goons arguing about their terrible taste in music as it converges with politics, I got lost in Wikipedia during a slow day at work and apparently the Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize??" was on the verge of becoming Oklahoma's official state rock song in 2009 until some shitheel Republicans blocked it in the state's House, the reason being that one of the band members wore a shirt with a hammer and sickle on it one time. The governor had to issue an executive order to get it through :downs:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Georgia has the best state song hands down. Done.

Although both Maryland and Tennessee have songs with lyrics that reference shooting and/or killing representatives of the federal government.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 22, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Only when Ray Charles sings it, yeah.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

Only when Ray Charles sings it, yeah.

It's officially only the Ray Charles version. The Willie Nelson version nor any other version doesn't count. I guess since he died we're hosed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Richard III is firmly in my top 10 favorite movies to watch on a horribly hungover afternoon.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Richard III is firmly in my top 10 favorite movies to watch on a horribly hungover afternoon.

My go-to Shakespeare hangover movie is Titus. I dunno why people pass over that play so much, it's just so great and awesome and even though it's one of Shakespeare's more weedley 'haha look at me fuckers im educated and stuff' plays I love it to pieces.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

australia's unofficial national anthem is about a homeless suicidal thief and that's why australia is a great country

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

nutranurse posted:

My go-to Shakespeare hangover movie is Titus. I dunno why people pass over that play so much, it's just so great and awesome and even though it's one of Shakespeare's more weedley 'haha look at me fuckers im educated and stuff' plays I love it to pieces.
Titus is my favorite Shakespeare adaptation movie, but I don't see it as a hangover movie.

Paths of Glory, that's a loving awesome hangover movie.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Wolfsheim posted:

Speaking of goons arguing about their terrible taste in music as it converges with politics, I got lost in Wikipedia during a slow day at work and apparently the Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize??" was on the verge of becoming Oklahoma's official state rock song in 2009 until some shitheel Republicans blocked it in the state's House, the reason being that one of the band members wore a shirt with a hammer and sickle on it one time. The governor had to issue an executive order to get it through :downs:

This got me curious, and holy poo poo the California official song is absolutely horrid. Adopted in 1913, written by a businessman, just the worst thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giLxEvWfB-E

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you haven't heard Rocky Top, which is an official state song of Tennessee, and pretty much a ballad about a bunch of sister-loving, other-hatin', corn-squeezin' drinkin', no-'lectricity havin' people, then you owe it to yourself to listen carefully to the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9prNixjbg

Don't need no infernal TELLYPHONES.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 22, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i thought the girl in question was half bear, half cat or some poo poo, which is far more interesting than plain ol' sister fuckin'

chimeras and poo poo in the hills

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Frankly I'm too drunk to follow those lyrics, which might be in the spirit of the whole thing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

comes along bort posted:

i thought the girl in question was half bear, half cat or some poo poo, which is far more interesting than plain ol' sister fuckin'

chimeras and poo poo in the hills
Rednecks aren't usually that strong on abstract metaphor, so I've never been sure whether they're loving hybrid racoons on Rocky Top or what.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Frankly I'm too drunk to follow those lyrics, which might be in the spirit of the whole thing.

Once two strangers climbed ole Rocky Top,
Lookin' for a moonshine still.
Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top,
Reckon they never will.
Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top,
Dirt's too rocky by far.
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top,
get their corn from a jar.

It's easy to be jealous of a song that has its poo poo together to this level.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Once two strangers climbed ole Rocky Top,
Lookin' for a moonshine still.
Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top,
Reckon they never will.
Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top,
Dirt's too rocky by far.
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top,
get their corn from a jar.

It's easy to be jealous of a song that has its poo poo together to this level.

that's actually wholly legit. do all states have an 'official song' along these lines?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tony Jowns posted:

that's actually wholly legit. do all states have an 'official song' along these lines?

The tremendous majority of them suck. Tennessee has like a dozen because they love music there, and Rocky Top is the only really good one. I think New Jersey is the only one without a state song.

One of Colorado's two state songs is Rocky Mountain High. Massachussets has a state polka, which is impressively caucasian. New Mexico has an official Spanish language song, an official bilingual song, and an official 'cowboy song'. West Virginia has Take Me Home Country Roads, so maybe John Denver missed his calling as a legislature-friendly songwriter? Three states have official rock songs, the only cool one is Oklahoma if only because the Flaming Lips were still cool in 2001.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 22, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tony Jowns posted:

yeah, here's my state's song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6MSF88UVBc

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

One of Colorado's two state songs is Rocky Mountain High.
The other is kind of darkly humorous given modern events.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

that's loving brutal and rad as hell

all my state has is an amanda palmer song which: welp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B8omCWBl8s

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz4PXOqg4Js

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

...if only because the Flaming Lips were still cool in 2001.

The Flaming Lips have never stopped being cool and I'm not gonna tolerate other views on this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Vermont's official song mentions sycamore trees and meadowlarks because the man who wrote it was from Ohio and never visited Vermont.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Why does the media keep calling that group ISIS? Is it because it makes them sound like a villain from an 80's cartoon?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

Why does the media keep calling that group ISIS? Is it because it makes them sound like a villain from an 80's cartoon?
Probably easier to say than "IS" for English speakers.

And Obama prefers calling them "ISIL". :colbert:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Joementum posted:

Vermont's official song mentions sycamore trees and meadowlarks because the man who wrote it was from Ohio and never visited Vermont.

South Carolina's state song was adapted from a poem written by a Confederate during the Civil War as part of a recruitment effort! :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

THE STARS AT NIGHT ARE BIG AND BRIGHT

• Locked thread