Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Missing Link was pretty awesome in general and improved on everything from the game engine to the boss battles to the interactivity (there's a point where you're exploring the office of the DLC's big bad guy and if you look close enough you can find a safe holding his custom revolver and steal it, leaving him without it during the boss battle at the end). It's so weird to me that people bitched about getting too much experience during the main game and then when the devs listened and made you pick and choose from a limited experience pool in Missing Link people turned around and bitched about that too.

That said, it does totally kill the game's pacing dropping it right before the game's final act in the Director's Cut. And the integration of the Director's Commentary in the Director's Cut was pretty poo poo: it's hidden behind an Extras menu with no instructions or fanfare, there's no visual indication of where the hotspots to activate the commentary are or if you've already listened to a piece of commentary or not, and when commentary is playing you can't use area transitions. Also it's automatically overridden by in-game communications, so if you don't just sit there listening motionlessly you'll inevitably be two minutes into a bit and then Malik will message you and you'll have to go back and start the whole message over again. And they just dump commentary non-sequentially so on your first visit to Hengsha you'll find a piece of commentary where they talk about Malik's death and a bunch of other stuff that you won't encounter for another dozen hours.

Which is a shame because the actual commentary is great and refreshingly open and honest.

The limited experience definitely sounds like my cup of tea, on my most recent play I was sitting on 7 or 8 praxis points that I had no need to spend. Speaking of Malik's death/survival, keeping her alive on a pacifist run is one of hardest things I've done in a game.

One thing I will say annoys me about the game is that Adam is kind of a tool. I wish he'd slide his shades away more often when he's talking to people in cutscenes.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

The limited experience definitely sounds like my cup of tea, on my most recent play I was sitting on 7 or 8 praxis points that I had no need to spend. Speaking of Malik's death/survival, keeping her alive on a pacifist run is one of hardest things I've done in a game.
I did it on a no-augs pacifist run by basically just downing energy bars and using my nonlethal takedown a lot. Sadly, she can't be saved on a no-augs/no-items run.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
For me, it's Team Fortress 2 - awesome game, but the one big thing I really, *really* wish they added was a hotkey cry for "BEHIND YOU". I play a lot of time as a Medic in pubs (my own special hell) and I can't count the number of times someone is creeping up on a heavy that has tunnel vision, only to have a backburner pyro, or a disguised spy, come up behind and stab them...

The amount of times I've ubered a heavy, just to have a spy sit behind him disguised as something else and not being able to do much about it are too many to count. Aside from spamming a keybind of "BEHIND YOU" in chat, the only other solutions are to take matters into my own hands and either break the uber, and hope I can one-hit the disguised spy before they get the backstabb in on the heavy I'm paired with...

...or run in front and look like a complete idiot until the heavy gets the idea that "hmm, what's up with my pocket medic boucing all over the OH A SCOUT BEHIND US!"

(Although to be fair, the experience reminds me of this "vicious cycle" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLFZNfygt7s )

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Missing Link isn't perfect (There's not much in the way of interesting objectives) but I liked it and as previously said I like what they did with the boss fight. Mainly that you can take his rear end down like any other enemy. So it was rather neat when I busted down the door and knocked this dude out in one punch and then realized that he was the boss. I played the non DC version though so it does seem like it would be a real hit to the pacing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I did it on a no-augs pacifist run by basically just downing energy bars and using my nonlethal takedown a lot. Sadly, she can't be saved on a no-augs/no-items run.

Do you mean no weapons too? Because I can't imagine doing it without tazing the hell out of people. The worst was when you knocked out a few people and then they died when you blew up the Mech. So you had to KO people then drag them out of the way before blowing it up, all within a strict time limit

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The Missing Link is good as stand alone DLC.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Do you mean no weapons too? Because I can't imagine doing it without tazing the hell out of people. The worst was when you knocked out a few people and then they died when you blew up the Mech. So you had to KO people then drag them out of the way before blowing it up, all within a strict time limit
No-augs/no-items means nothing in your inventory and no spending Praxis. On just nonlethal no-augs it's just a matter of tasing, dropping an EMP on the bot, and running around a lot. You mostly just have to know the order you're going to attack in.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The gameplay in the Dead Space series seems to rely on the fact that the player should be panicking and burning through his ammo needlessly. So why is it that enemies tend to pop out of grates on the other end of long corridors? They give you way too much time to react and line your shots up nicely.

Really, it's hard to stay frightened when every single enemy just roars and charges at you head on. Maybe they should've introduced a monster that stalks you from the shadows and strikes when you least expect it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

No-augs/no-items means nothing in your inventory and no spending Praxis. On just nonlethal no-augs it's just a matter of tasing, dropping an EMP on the bot, and running around a lot. You mostly just have to know the order you're going to attack in.

Yeah it took me a few times to memorise my route to KO people as quickly as possible, I imagine no-augs would be the same except mashing my face full of cyberboost bars.

Another thing that annoyed me storywise in the game was how they revealed Darrow was a baddie way before the big reveal. The first time Jensen meets him in Sarif's office he comes off shady as heck and later the very first guard you meet in Omega Ranch basically says "I wish our good buddy Hugh Darrow was still here". Later when Megan mentions Darrow Adam responds as if it's brand new information. poo poo son I heard those guards talking about it, which means you did too.

Also I like your Andrew avatar.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah it took me a few times to memorise my route to KO people as quickly as possible, I imagine no-augs would be the same except mashing my face full of cyberboost bars.

Another thing that annoyed me storywise in the game was how they revealed Darrow was a baddie way before the big reveal. The first time Jensen meets him in Sarif's office he comes off shady as heck and later the very first guard you meet in Omega Ranch basically says "I wish our good buddy Hugh Darrow was still here". Later when Megan mentions Darrow Adam responds as if it's brand new information. poo poo son I heard those guards talking about it, which means you did too.

Also I like your Andrew avatar.

I agree, though considering the original Deus Ex opened with your bosses monologuing about their plans for world domination and then proceeded to spend the next 10-20 hours having JC Denton uncritically working for them it's a step up for the franchise.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I agree, though considering the original Deus Ex opened with your bosses monologuing about their plans for world domination and then proceeded to spend the next 10-20 hours having JC Denton uncritically working for them it's a step up for the franchise.

I forgot about that, can't you even follow Simmons down to the cells at one point and watch him execute a prisoner? Another thing that it has over the first game is very strong voice acting. The first game belongs in the thread because of it's VA work actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

grittyreboot posted:

The gameplay in the Dead Space series seems to rely on the fact that the player should be panicking and burning through his ammo needlessly. So why is it that enemies tend to pop out of grates on the other end of long corridors? They give you way too much time to react and line your shots up nicely.

Really, it's hard to stay frightened when every single enemy just roars and charges at you head on. Maybe they should've introduced a monster that stalks you from the shadows and strikes when you least expect it.

Well the first time you encounter those raptors that show up in 2 it's a pretty 'oh gently caress oh fuuuuuck' situation, like you get lost in this maze where they peak around corners and over the top and generally try to get behind or to your side before attacking, like the 'clever girl' from Jurassic Park on turbo alien zombie steroids. Thing is you quickly learn they only show up in those maze like places and you can easily bait them into attacking head on (which is just a roar and charge like everyone else) by just parking your rear end in a corner and waiting, maybe move forward a few feet to spawn the next group.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Aug 21, 2014

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The same thing happened with Doom 3, you get to a point where if you're anxious about the intensity of the game, you can switch to the shotgun(or force gun in Dead Space) and just run and gun. It basically becomes like Quake at that point, which is probably the exact opposite of a horror game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

The boss fights and ending of Deus Ex: Human Revolution are quite a let down. Without spoiling the ending/s, the game just ushers you into a room with four buttons. Whichever button you press gives a different ending. The endings themselves are stock footage with Adam Jensen talking over them. The only redeeming feature is that his dialogue changes based on how many people you killed throughout the game.
That's not what does it. I killed shitloads of people and still got the "good" dialogue. Someone earlier in either this thread or the PYF little things in games thread suggested that it actually relates to which side quests you've done.

Mierenneuker posted:

I guess some people don't like having their guns and augmentations taken away from them. I liked it because that added some tension back into the game. I also ended up using things I hadn't used before.
I thought it was a complete waste of time, because you almost immediately get back enough praxis kits and equipment to go back to playing exactly the same as you already have been, except that you're missing a few conveniences. Like, you no longer have the option to skip hacking poo poo because your stack of nuke viruses is gone, and you actually have to climb down ladders because your no-fall-damage aug is gone. It doesn't make it more difficult, just more inconvenient.

EmmyOk posted:

One thing I will say annoys me about the game is that Adam is kind of a tool. I wish he'd slide his shades away more often when he's talking to people in cutscenes.
The thing that pisses me off is how ungrateful he is. Maybe he wouldn't have chosen to get awesome super powers if he had the option, but the alternative was death. Without the augmentation technology, he's dead. "I didn't ask for this." No, because you were dying at the time. Sorry no one stopped saving your life to check whether you wanted to keep living. By the way, that option's still available if you want to take it. Shoot yourself in the head if you'd really rather be dead than augmented.

EmmyOk posted:

Jensen not knowing stuff that you've already discovered is really annoying. You hack a computer and find out some stuff, but it doesn't have any effect on plot or dialogue, so when someone tells you later in a scripted scene Jensen will still be surprised even though he should have already known.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Tiggum posted:

The thing that pisses me off is how ungrateful he is. Maybe he wouldn't have chosen to get awesome super powers if he had the option, but the alternative was death. Without the augmentation technology, he's dead. "I didn't ask for this." No, because you were dying at the time. Sorry no one stopped saving your life to check whether you wanted to keep living. By the way, that option's still available if you want to take it. Shoot yourself in the head if you'd really rather be dead than augmented.

Actually most of his augmentations were not necessary. Basically his chest and head were hosed, but the only limb that actually needed to be replace was his left arm, but David saw how well he responded to the new arm and went, "holy poo poo, give this man everything!" and had his docs hack off his other arms and legs.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Actually most of his augmentations were not necessary. Basically his chest and head were hosed, but the only limb that actually needed to be replace was his left arm, but David saw how well he responded to the new arm and went, "holy poo poo, give this man everything!" and had his docs hack off his other arms and legs.

Was this mentioned in the game?
All I remember is him being pissy about everything from the beginning but not really saying why.
Maybe if there was some more exposition, or the game started earlier during his waking-up/recovery, you'd get a better sense of why everything was so awful.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Palmersaurus posted:

All I remember is him being pissy about everything from the beginning but not really saying why.
Maybe if there was some more exposition, or the game started earlier during his waking-up/recovery, you'd get a better sense of why everything was so awful.

During I believe the middle of the game, you can break into the Detroid LIMB clinic and find a doctor's report on your injuries and how overboard Sarif went on your reconstruction. If anything, I was impressed that Adam didn't give him a massive bitching about it later.

Der Luftwaffle has a new favorite as of 06:58 on Aug 21, 2014

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Palmersaurus posted:

Yeah like Luftwaffle said, it's kind of buried side info, which might be a thing dragging the game down.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

During I believe the middle of the game, you can break into the Detroid LIMB clinic and find a doctor's report on your injuries and how overboard Sarif went on your reconstruction. If anything, I was impressed that Adam didn't give him a massive bitching about it later.

I thought a big part of it was he was turned into a machine so he literally was unable to express himself in a manner befitting a human.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
He never asked for this.

While the original DX's opening is kinda silly, it is responsible for this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

which is loving fantastic.

Back on FC3, later on in the game you get a disguise that lets you not be spotted as the protagonist. You can use to walk around freely and hang out with bad dudes so long as you don't go about murdering them. Certain areas become "Restricted" where you'll be attacked if you go sticking your nose in it. I'm pretty sure this is why you can snipe-clear the later outposts because if you remain outside the zone and no one is watching you snipe people's faces off. This seems to be there reason i've been clearing outposts without being seen. As opposed to earlier, when being far away and all suppressed, pirates staring into the sun are able to spot me in .5 seconds.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ambassador of Funk posted:

He doesn't actually seem to be complaining about them doing the unnecessary bits though, it's the whole thing. He acts like all the augmentations were just forced on him and he would have chosen not to get any of them. But obviously that just wasn't possible, he'd be dead without them.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

ElwoodCuse posted:

You can definitely skip that intro to Hitman, I have it for ps3 and don't hear much at all past "Diana--" then it's that menu and the kid mumbling or something.

What button or combination of buttons are you pressing?

edit: nvm. I found it, it's Circle, y'know, the button that nearly every single game uses to allow a user to go back on menu screens and not forward... :downs:

beato has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Aug 21, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Mass Effect 3: No Krogan team mate <:mad:>

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

SpookyLizard posted:

He never asked for this.

While the original DX's opening is kinda silly, it is responsible for this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

which is loving fantastic.

I had totally forgotten that Machinima.com was a thing since everyone and his mother started making stupid loving Garry's Mod videos years ago.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Jensen not knowing stuff that you've already discovered is really annoying. You hack a computer and find out some stuff, but it doesn't have any effect on plot or dialogue, so when someone tells you later in a scripted scene Jensen will still be surprised even though he should have already known.

Also how he somehow didn't work out that his DNA was what literally every email is talking about. He was just kind of douchey in general too.

Palmersaurus posted:

In the detective sidequest if you convince him to live he'll mention that they did way more work than they needed to. You'll also see it in an ebook in his storage locker.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Captain Lavender posted:

Vega has the build of one, and he hacks by butting things with his rifle. :v:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Warren Spector apparently hated the opening after the fact, and it was removed in one of the console ports.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Maybe try picking up Dead Rising 2: OTR? The AI and general gameplay is a lot better.

Will definitely consider it, because it's a fun concept and if the sequels are as detailed as the first than that's more than admirable. I've actually grown into it a little now, just taking my time getting properly levelled before trying the story (which was my plan anyway, I want the disembowel skill for the special ops guys). I have no plans for the ridiculous Saint achievement, so I'm just going by racking up levels and letting the stupid people die/get eaten. I, erm, assume getting an ending lets you carry your stats over, like when you die.

Fallout 3 will come first though, so look forward to those posts coming soon to this thread!

Content: there is one LA Noire case not available for download on Xbox Live. It's probably in the "Complete Edition" or whatever, but I got it when it first came out in order to take advantage of an offer. They even reference said case in the standard levels! Sucks, because I enjoyed the core of the game and I don't think it's one that really lends itself towards replays; it'd be nice to revisit it with something fresh.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I dunno if it was just me but the DR also felt like it was somehow a worse port with worse graphics than the original (on PC). This should not be the case.

Iirc for some dumb reason the pc version of the DC is a port of the Wii U one.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Warren Spector apparently hated the opening after the fact, and it was removed in one of the console ports.

The PS2 version replaced it with a CGI intro. Are there any other ports?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJegc9eEG8M

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

EmmyOk posted:

Also how he somehow didn't work out that his DNA was what literally every email is talking about. He was just kind of douchey in general too.

In the detective sidequest if you convince him to live he'll mention that they did way more work than they needed to. You'll also see it in an ebook in his storage locker.

I really wish there were a Jensen dialog option for the endgame where he just flips out and says "I KNOW, DAMMIT. I FIGURED IT OUT DAYS AGO."

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Captain Lavender posted:

Someone hasn't played the Citadel DLC. Uncle Urdnot's got a present for ya! :black101:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Rampant Dwickery posted:

I really wish there were a Jensen dialog option for the endgame where he just flips out and says "I KNOW, DAMMIT. I FIGURED IT OUT DAYS AGO."

Pretty much, it was dumb as heck that he had essentially no reaction to the things he read.

Unless... oh my god, he doesn't know how to read. :ohdear:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Polaron posted:

Someone hasn't played the Citadel DLC. Uncle Urdnot's got a present for ya! :black101:

Picking Wrex and Garrus for the final ride in the space car:

Grunt(sad): But I wanted to go with Shepard!
Javik: Fifty thousand years, and I'm still picked last.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Final Fantasy 14:

A party member has withdrawn from the duty.

Edit: And instead of just keeping this party of 2/2/3 and finding a 4th dps it just clears up the entire party and starts back from scratch forming an entirely different one.

Leal has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Aug 22, 2014

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
The special DNA was dumb. "Are augs a good thing?" is a dumb question for the player when there is no downside to sweet robo-arms.

Playing through Red Faction Guerrilla now. Lots of invisible walls. Some are close enough to the road you can hit them accidentally.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hobo By Design posted:

The special DNA was dumb. "Are augs a good thing?" is a dumb question for the player when there is no downside to sweet robo-arms.

For the player maybe, but there are really deep discussions going around in real life with the whole concept of transhumanism.

Consider these questions:

- Would you get a robo-arm if you had lost your actual arm?

- Would you cut off your arm to get a robo-arm?

Pretty big difference, even if there are no downsides to augs.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Mikl posted:

For the player maybe, but there are really deep discussions going around in real life with the whole concept of transhumanism.

Consider this: transhumanists are nerds with too much free time on their hands.

Man I was just playing Dark Souls 2 and I really hate the pvp aspects of it. It really drags the game down. Just got owned by some guy called "Level 1 Player" or some poo poo, and he was overpowered and everything. I don't want to deal with those whip-weilding motherfuckers, trouser-wearing bellends, just wanna kill some hollows and chill in the forest. That's what's dragging down Dark Souls 2 - a core concept of the game. Aside from that, GOTY, etc.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Getting emeralds in Sonic 4 sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Yes and yes. I don't understand why anyone would say no to this, assuming that the robo-arms are superior to normal arms. In Human Revolution there's the issue of being dependent on that drug, and that would certainly be something that could make the robo-arms inferior to regular arms, but if you're like Adam and don't need it? Robo-everything. Give yourself super powers. What's the down side?