Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Like I said, if you guys really don't care about figuring out how racism actually works and matters, that's fine. I'm not on a crusade here, I just think it's worth thinking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

tuyop posted:

Like I said, if you guys really don't care about figuring out how racism actually works and matters, that's fine. I'm not on a crusade here, I just think it's worth thinking about.

Racism is motivation, not results or action. If I were a minority and I punched a guy for the specific reason I don't like the majority race in my area, how is that not a racially motivated attack?

How far does geography affect your definition of racism? I could be part of a majority on a city or country wide scale, but part of a minority in a neighborhood, workplace, or home. Does my ability to be racist change when I move from place to place?

e: I agree it's worth thinking about, I just seriously doubt you've done any.

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 21, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Insofar as power is contextual, then yes. A minority landlord who decides that he doesn't like white people and won't give me an apartment in his building because I'm white is being racist, because he has power in that situation.

I'm not sure on the issue of racially motivated violence, does the person initiating violence have some sort of power (maybe he knows how to fight and you don't?) at that point?

That's my reading of it, anyway. I'd understand if there was disagreement.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Can anyone else hear that? It sounds like MLK sobbing in his grave.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Base Emitter posted:

Basically the quadrilateral and each bin is a polygon, so you want to calculate the intersection between two polygons and then find the area of the resulting polygon. Look for polygon clipping algorithms (2D graphics requires the ability to clip polygons to a viewport). Both the clipping and the area calculations are probably easier turned into lists of triangles since you just want to add up areas. The fact that your polygons are convex probably simplifies matters.

Gravity Pike posted:

Are you trying to write a computer program to do this for you? Unless it's for homework, I'd google "polygon intersection library," and see if you can find a library function that'll compute the union of two polygons. Because I'm lazy, and trying to get something done instead of being efficient, I'd calculate the union of the quadrangle and each bin in the (minX..maxX, minY..maxY) set. (Some of these will be zero.)

If you are doing this for homework, I kind of think that you'll just have to slog through it, and deal with each edge case separately. I'm not sure that there's a better option.

No, not for homework. I independently stumbled across the concept of intersection of convex polygons -- yes, being able to assume that the polygons are both simple and convex speeds things up dramatically. This is apparently a "big deal", or something, given how much computing power goes into graphics. I've spent the last day looking at an algorithm that makes intuitive sense (https://www.cs.ucf.edu/courses/cot5520/Lec18.ppt, starting at slide 41). Assembling this into a functioning computer code requires understanding it at a mathematical level, which I'm still working on.

Thanks to both of you.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
I am aware that this is probably an extremely stupid question...but why does my avatar keep changing? Who cares about me enough to change my avatar? This is the third time!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Motley posted:

I am aware that this is probably an extremely stupid question...but why does my avatar keep changing? Who cares about me enough to change my avatar? This is the third time!

You're a stupid newbie. Instead of the baby avatar, now there's a rotation of lovely avatars for you. Pay the $5 to get your own.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013

DNova posted:

You're a stupid newbie. Instead of the baby avatar, now there's a rotation of lovely avatars for you. Pay the $5 to get your own.

Thanks! Must have missed the whole rotation thing. I was accustomed to the baby.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Motley posted:

Who cares about me enough to change my avatar? This is the third time!

Lowtax. Lowtax cares. :glomp:

ginealgo
Aug 21, 2014

by Ralp
I started a full time job and a part time job at about the same time. My side job boss recently asked if i would be interested in helping out full time and i told him about my other job. He then asked if i knew anyone who would be interested, i said no.

I just got fired from my full time job. Is it a good idea to ask if he's still interested or would this just make me look bad as he would be wondering why i got let go from the other place?

The full time job was sketch and i think they got rid of me because they were running out of money, but i wont be able to have them give me a recommendation or anything. Side job boss seems pretty happy with my work.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ginealgo posted:

I started a full time job and a part time job at about the same time. My side job boss recently asked if i would be interested in helping out full time and i told him about my other job. He then asked if i knew anyone who would be interested, i said no.

I just got fired from my full time job. Is it a good idea to ask if he's still interested or would this just make me look bad as he would be wondering why i got let go from the other place?

The full time job was sketch and i think they got rid of me because they were running out of money, but i wont be able to have them give me a recommendation or anything. Side job boss seems pretty happy with my work.

Can't you just ask him if he still can use you full time? If he asks why, just say you like this job more than the other one or something like that.

ginealgo
Aug 21, 2014

by Ralp
I guess i could say that. I'm just worried about him getting suspicious because i really like this job. I would prefer to stay on part time and find another job rather than gently caress up his trust in me.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Just tell him you really like the job and after some thought would rather work full time after all?

ginealgo
Aug 21, 2014

by Ralp

Huntersoninski posted:

Just tell him you really like the job and after some thought would rather work full time after all?

If the general consensus is that this is a good angle, I'll try it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Where is :goku: from?

Does it have something to do with this?

http://aquachilddicksquad.tumblr.com/post/94438776346

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here's a really stupid question. Miller Beer advertises itself as "The Champagne of Beers".

I don't drink, so I have no idea if this is true (but it probably isn't). Assuming, however, that it is, what would be "The Beer of Champagnes"?

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here's a really stupid question. Miller Beer advertises itself as "The Champagne of Beers".

I don't drink, so I have no idea if this is true (but it probably isn't). Assuming, however, that it is, what would be "The Beer of Champagnes"?

Champagne is regarded as one of the finest wines, so "The Champagne of X" is synonomous with "The Finest of X".

"The Beer of X" has no meaning. Are you asking what is the finest champagne?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Cook's.

KoB
May 1, 2009

kidhash posted:

Champagne is regarded as one of the finest wines, so "The Champagne of X" is synonomous with "The Finest of X".

"The Beer of X" has no meaning. Are you asking what is the finest champagne?

He probably meant the shittiest of Champagnes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd go with Cook's.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't mind Cook's, actually.

But I don't really like champaign.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

KoB posted:

He probably meant the shittiest of Champagnes.

Yeah, because I'm pretty sure there has to be much better beer than Miller's.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Not too long ago, someone made an E/N thread about getting scammed by an artist they'd approached to recreate a terrible webcomic they were obsessed with. Turns out they were full of poo poo and drama, and GBS somehow goku pants.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

tuyop posted:

I don't mind Cook's, actually.

But I don't really like champaign.

This isn't racist because tuyop is an alcoholic and has no power here.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
What do you guys have against champaign

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
What is the last symbol in this puzzle called? I don't think I've ever seen that symbol before. Google image searching various forms of 'video' and 'symbol' show nothing even remotely close to that symbol.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

What is the last symbol in this puzzle called? I don't think I've ever seen that symbol before. Google image searching various forms of 'video' and 'symbol' show nothing even remotely close to that symbol.

Looks like it's for described video, a service for blind people.

For future reference, you can use images.google.com to search images instead of words (just click on the camera icon).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I was trying to do that from my phone, and it was a fail. Thanks for the answer though!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

N. Senada posted:

This isn't racist because tuyop is an alcoholic and has no power here.

I don't like French people but they have all the wine cred so I guess it's no big deal what I think about their wine. This is important.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

tuyop posted:

I don't like French people but they have all the wine cred so I guess it's no big deal what I think about their wine. This is important.

The French only have wine cred because people are dumb enough to give it to them. In blind taste tests, even wine 'experts' can barely tell the difference between good and bad wines. There's been a ton of studies that show someone's expectations for a wine have more to do with how much they enjoy it than anything else.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

The Aphasian posted:

Can someone help me find an article I read a few years ago? It was about this small town where all the teens dressed like 1950s or 1960s teens, drove classic cars and hung out at a diner. I think it was located in the middle of nowhere USA (not sure about that last part; could have been Russia).

Not sure about that one.

Another one like that is Napier in New Zealand.. They are obsessed with their Art Deco era and the cars, dances etc.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Lawnie posted:

What do you guys have against champaign

It's mostly the dislike of contrasting colors.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
At my work we use Outlook. I recently changed the view of the middle pane to arrange email by conversation. That worked fine for a few days, but some time in the last couple of days, it started expanding every conversation when I switched back to mail from the calendar, contacts, or tasks views. Any ideas why this is happening?

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

hooah posted:

At my work we use Outlook. I recently changed the view of the middle pane to arrange email by conversation. That worked fine for a few days, but some time in the last couple of days, it started expanding every conversation when I switched back to mail from the calendar, contacts, or tasks views. Any ideas why this is happening?

Hi you more than likely changes something else in your views by accident. The best aproach is to start from defaults again and change what you want. Remember each folder has its own view settings. A quick way to reset to factory defaults is to :

Click start
Then select run
In the open dialogue box type
Outlook /cleanviews and press enter.

Ps this works for outlook 2007 or later. Let me know if you have an earlier version

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

DNova posted:

Or post like an idiot enough so that people will splash the $10.00 to give you a 'free' avatar.

(That's actually what I had thought happened to me when the first avatar popped up. I posted a couple of long things and someone bought me a badge of honor.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Deadclown posted:

Hi you more than likely changes something else in your views by accident. The best aproach is to start from defaults again and change what you want. Remember each folder has its own view settings. A quick way to reset to factory defaults is to :

Click start
Then select run
In the open dialogue box type
Outlook /cleanviews and press enter.

Ps this works for outlook 2007 or later. Let me know if you have an earlier version

Looks like that command didn't work. I still have things collected into conversations, and they still expand when I come back to the mail pane from somewhere else.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

hooah posted:

Looks like that command didn't work. I still have things collected into conversations, and they still expand when I come back to the mail pane from somewhere else.

Can you check which version of outlook you have?

also try this :

http://office.microsoft.com/en-za/outlook-help/turn-on-or-off-conversations-arrangement-in-the-message-list-HA101845073.aspx

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bah, I meant to include the version: 2007 (12.0.6691.5000) SP3 (12.0.6683.5000).

I'm not sure what exactly you want me to try. I'd like to keep the conversation grouping, so I turned it off and back on (haha), but I still see the same problem.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's this (amazing) GBS thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615777
Which is related to this E/N thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615435

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Has there ever been a clear consensus as to whether cracking your knuckles is "bad" for you or not?