Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Is there a chance there will be a PS4 shortage during the holidays? I'd prefer to wait, but I might get one within the next month if there are projected shortages. I'd also like to see what bundles are coming out.

I would assume nothing worse than them being out of stock for a few days in physical stores, but anything is possible.

Known bundles: Destiny bundle, comes out 9/9/14- has a sleek white PS4, 1 month PS+, and Destiny for $449 (basically saves you $10)

or

Gamestop currently has a deal where you can get a PS4, 3 months PS+, and inFamous Second Son for $399.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
Can anyone in this thread tell me from experience if there's a significant difference between the newer PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset in comparison to the first model they released for the PS3? I've been tossing up the idea of upgrading, but am on the fence.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Garden Warfare :(. Fun and unique but this simply can't sustain more than a few rounds for me. It's just missing...something. Thank God I Gamefly'd it.

Jondan
Oct 18, 2005

I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once
Just started catching up on the thread, since I've got a white Destiny PS4 on order and am getting more and more hyped up the closer it gets.

Can anyone comment on the microphone quality of the Vita/PS4 earbuds from Sony?
Do they do a good job when it comes to voice quality? I'm not too fussed about listening to game/voice through them, since I've read that there are options to shunt that stuff off to other speakers, and am just concerned about the mic. The OP just says they "have a mic that works with the DS4" but nothing about how rubbish/amazing it might be. Thanks!

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

spudsbuckley posted:

Finished TLOU and Left Behind this morning. Excellent game and DLC.

Half-heartedly decided to see what the MP was like expecting to play one match and never touch it again.

Three hours of play it later i'm taking a short break before getting right back to it. So good, simply because it is actually a bit thoughtful rather than crazy run and gun twitch-shooting nonsense.

While I had a ton of fun with goons doing the whole MP trophy set, and all the time that consists of, I still rate it worse than Gears 1. The game has MOBA tendencies with upgrades, especially with Survivor mode, it is really hard to come back in a lot of cases. I really disliked the mp, not the same sense of KZ2 grinding, since I could play TLoU literally however I wanted and still succeed in my clan/trophy pretense, but it still wasn't a well thought out MP experience. There was something lacking that I felt even CoD brings to the table that is more enjoyable. Maybe something is broken with me, since I literally thought this way before I tried the MP, the games I initially played only reinforced this notion.

Not bad, but I would avoid for competitive, balance, good mp action. Parties are the only real saving grace due to pub stomping and all that goes with it, the highs and lows.

TL;DR, it is not an MLG sort of game, and maybe that is what I was looking for.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 22, 2014

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Scyron posted:

While I had a ton of fun with goons doing the whole MP trophy set, and all the time that consists of, I still rate it worse than Gears 1. The game has MOBA tendencies with upgrades, especially with Survivor mode, it is really hard to come back in a lot of cases. I really disliked the mp, not the same sense of KZ2 grinding, since I could play TLoU literally however I wanted and still succeed in my clan/trophy pretense, but it still wasn't a well thought out MP experience. There was something lacking that I felt even CoD brings to the table that is more enjoyable. Maybe something is broken with me, since I literally thought this way before I tried the MP, the games I initially played only reinforced this notion.

Not bad, but I would avoid for competitive, balance, good mp action. Parties are the only real saving grace due to pub stomping and all that goes with it, the highs and lows.

TL;DR, it is not an MLG sort of game, and maybe that is what I was looking for.

*shrug* I've played a lot of online multiplayer gunshooty games, and TLOU's might be the best I've ever experienced, though it might mean something that I despise CoD. Whatever the case, I don't think it can be accused of not being well thought out. Even when I play with goons I don't talk too much because information sharing is built into it so well. The upgrades aren't too imbalancing, and they can all be countered if you switch up your tactics and go for item boxes (they yield more the worse you're doing). And the range of tactics you can employ outclasses most other shooters. Rushing aggressively is just one of several ways you can be offensive, and it's easily countered. It's deliberately not as twitch as CoD, which might be the source of your complaints.

I'm deliberately not playing right now because it's too addictive. I hopped on last night at 10 PM and it was 1:30 AM before I realized I was past my bedtime.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 22, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pandanaut your nemesis just hijacked me at a terrible time. However, I survived! Enjoy your gift! ;)

Also: pretty hosed up they make those things run as fast (faster?) than you. Gotta keep rolling!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

acksplode posted:

*shrug* I've played a lot of online multiplayer gunshooty games, and TLOU's might be the best I've ever experienced, though it might mean something that I despise CoD. Whatever the case, I don't think it can be accused of not being well thought out. Even when I play with goons I don't talk too much because information sharing is built into it so well. The upgrades aren't too imbalancing, and they can all be countered if you switch up your tactics and go for item boxes (they yield more the worse you're doing). And the range of tactics you can employ outclasses most other shooters. Rushing aggressively is just one of several ways you can be offensive, and it's easily countered. It's deliberately not as twitch as CoD, which might be the source of your complaints.

I'm deliberately not playing right now because it's too addictive. I hopped on last night at 10 PM and it was 1:30 AM before I realized I was past my bedtime.

Is it really viable to stealth the multiplayer if you know what you're doing like some people have suggested?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Is it really viable to stealth the multiplayer if you know what you're doing like some people have suggested?

More than viable! It's actually my favorite way to play -- I take the listening and stealth perks and a bow. It's just as effective as any other tactic, and if you're playing against pubbies in no-party mode who are trying to play CoD, you can take the Stealth gear preset and eat them for lunch.

It's also just really loving fun. Nothing gets my heart pounding more than stalking and stabbing a real human player.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 22, 2014

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh hell yes. Stealth is anything but underpowered in this game. A good stealth player or two (or four) can do really hilarious poo poo. Especially against a team with no stealth.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 22, 2014

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You haven't lived until you've successfully flanked an approaching team and knifed the guy in the rear who was crafting items, and then immediately killed two more silently with your bow while they were in a shootout with your teammates.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

acksplode posted:

You haven't lived until you've successfully flanked an approaching team and knifed the guy in the rear who was crafting items, and then immediately killed two more silently with your bow while they were in a shootout with your teammates.

That's how you can tell if the guy you shanked had a mic or not. If the whole team doesn't immediately turn around and shoot you, no mic. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

If you aren't trying to stealth people pretty much all the time you are literally playing wrong, unless I am misunderstanding your definition of stealth.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jondan posted:

Can anyone comment on the microphone quality of the Vita/PS4 earbuds from Sony?
Do they do a good job when it comes to voice quality?

I use the Playstation Gold headset most of the time, and the goons I play with often complain that my voice sounds muffled. Then one day I was feeling lazy so I just used the mic that comes with the PS4. I was met almost instantly with a lot of 'holy poo poo I can understand Sammus he fixed his mic!!'

tldr: The sony earbuds/mic combo works really well.

Jondan
Oct 18, 2005

I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once

Sammus posted:

tldr: The sony earbuds/mic combo works really well.
Good to know, thank you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TLOU has active aggressive stealth, I love it. I generally hate stealth since having to hide in a dark room for 5 minutes while waiting for things to happen is the real worst videogame trend. Other than Skyrim I can't remember better stealth in recent years. Before anyone says something about it I think Skyrim has a very fun, often utilized stealth system that isn't complex but streamlined and powerful.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Wish you could add PSN friends via the website. It's silly that I can virtually access my PS4's OS, PSN+ and all its settings and features on the SEN website except to add friends.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Except if you actually play good teams in TLOU they find 1 building, and set up camp with military sniper rifles and pretty much instant win.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

Load up the web browser and see if the cursor acts up there. If so, it's hosed and you'll need to ship it off to Sony. It's a somewhat common problem. One of my launch controllers did the same thing.

Just tried this and it works absolutely fine in the browser. It's odd, no other game or application seems to show the same symptoms yet TLOU is basically unplayable as I can't move forwards without Joel stuttering and stopping.

There's a big thread on the ND forums about it, but no word from ND themselves which is pretty frustrating. I was so excited about trying out factions too!

Anyway, I've ordered a Red DS4 as it was only £40 and will see how if that fixes the issue. My current one will get sent off for Sony to fix/replace once that's here.

AOTKPTW fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 22, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Except if you actually play good teams in TLOU they find 1 building, and set up camp with military sniper rifles and pretty much instant win.

That's when you say "fool me once shame on me..." and flank them. I'm no pro at TLOU but that doesn't sound like a good team at all. Sounds like a team that wins the first round and gets stomped after that. Also, I've played MP for at least 40 hours now and that's not even a thing that happens as far as I can tell.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Have they said that D3 will be getting regular patches or is it going to be abandoned on release like every other PC -> Console game. Not getting Seasons and Greater Rifts and all of the other cool stuff that the PC version will get over the years would be a deal breaker.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I think I read that they were gonna try and update it with the PC version.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tomahawk posted:

Have they said that D3 will be getting regular patches or is it going to be abandoned on release like every other PC -> Console game. Not getting Seasons and Greater Rifts and all of the other cool stuff that the PC version will get over the years would be a deal breaker.

Blizzard says they're going to release patches, but the console version will probably lag behind a bit.

Has Planetside 2 been cancelled or what? It's release date has come and gone and absolutely no news about it.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
One thing I miss from moving over from 360 is that all the Arcade games (e.g. PSN non-disc releases) had mandatory Free Trials, any chance Sony will implement something like this?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MZ posted:

One thing I miss from moving over from 360 is that all the Arcade games (e.g. PSN non-disc releases) had mandatory Free Trials, any chance Sony will implement something like this?

Doubtful, mainly because the PSN ecosystem doesn't really a clear split in terms of what games are "Arcade"-class games and what games are "full budget"-class games. It's less pronounced on PS4 at the moment, but PS3 had a huge variety of stuff at several different price points, and had some fairly expensive titles launch digital-only, especially English versions of niche Japanese games.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Megasabin posted:

Military Snipers cost a lot of parts. You must have lost several encounters for this to happen, and if that's the case, boxes will give you everything you need to burn them out :supaburn:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tomahawk posted:

The next-gen versions of D3 will be getting patch updates, no confirmation of support for last-gen (which probably means no).

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
This morning I turned on a Diablo 3 stream to lull myself back to sleep. It was a guy playing a hardcore crusader, and he'd clearly just beaten the game for the first time. After a few minutes of dicking around on another loop of the story, he switches over to adventure mode, cranks the difficulty up to expert and promptly dies to the first mob.

"What the shi---"THE BROADCAST HAS BEEN STOPPED

I laughed so hard I gave up on getting back to sleep.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I'm kinda frustrated with D3. I'm having a blast with my Wizard right now and all is well. In fact, all is a little too well - I'm finding tons of legendaries. Mostly the legendaries I wanted but never got when I was farming at 70 in the PC version. It's cool to unlock the transmogs but it also feels frustrating knowing that it'll probably be a long rear end time before I see another Thunderfury again, let alone a well itemized one at 70. If I get a mirrorball before 70 I'm going to be so cross with this game.

Also, how do the gifts work? Like, I send gifts to people but do they actually show up in their mailboxes or do they just appear as normal drops in that person's game. Because if they show up in mailboxes I've been sending out a ton and you jerks haven't sent me any! I'll post my PSN again: Rassium. I haven't even seen a nemesis monster yet :(

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
This Diablo game seems really popular I think someone should make a thread about it so people can post about it there?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Casnorf posted:

This morning I turned on a Diablo 3 stream to lull myself back to sleep. It was a guy playing a hardcore crusader, and he'd clearly just beaten the game for the first time. After a few minutes of dicking around on another loop of the story, he switches over to adventure mode, cranks the difficulty up to expert and promptly dies to the first mob.

"What the shi---"THE BROADCAST HAS BEEN STOPPED

I laughed so hard I gave up on getting back to sleep.

To be honest, I'd be pretty ashamed if I died as a Crusader on Expert mode too.

Came across my first Nemesis monster earlier, just after knocking the difficulty to Master level. Those things aren't kidding around, though I did manage to take it out and died in the process.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The Big Taff Man posted:

This Diablo game seems really popular I think someone should make a thread about it so people can post about it there?

There is a thread, check the blizzard subforum for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That thread should really be plucked out of the Blizzard subforums full of depressive sadbros and delivered to frontpage gloryland.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Has anyone used a hybrid drive on the PS4? Does it make a difference in loading speed? I have a 500GB SSHD and a 1TB 5400rpm drive and I'm trying to decide between speed or capacity.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

NESguerilla posted:

That's when you say "fool me once shame on me..." and flank them. I'm no pro at TLOU but that doesn't sound like a good team at all. Sounds like a team that wins the first round and gets stomped after that. Also, I've played MP for at least 40 hours now and that's not even a thing that happens as far as I can tell.

Seedge posted:

Military Snipers cost a lot of parts. You must have lost several encounters for this to happen, and if that's the case, boxes will give you everything you need to burn them out :supaburn:

I put about 60 hours in the original multiplayer, and about 15 in the new one, and it was and still is definitely a thing. It's incredibly hard to stop on poorly designed levels like checkpoint, where if you shack up in either house at the end of the level it's almost impossible to be flanked. The majority of the team runs skills that reward a lot of parts, and can easily build military sniper rifles after one round. When people take up a fortified position it really is very difficult to "burn them out", as they have a ton of cover in their buildings, and you will take a military sniper bullet to the head or chest in the time it takes you to aim the molotov.

Don't get me wrong. TLOU multiplayer is great, but there are some serious flaws that becomes more obvious the longer you play. Lots of levels have certain key chokepoints that are very hard to flank, which good teams will always abuse, making the map way more boring since it always revolves around that area. The balancing is off on some weapons like the bow and the flamethrower, and the skills also aren't really balanced either. It's not like I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who is brand new. I've put in a lot of time in the original and a decent amount with the new one too.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Here is the Diablo 3 console thread since the passive aggressive complaint post did not bother to actually include it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656373

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Haha, I feel sorry for that one single goon on the Diablo OP who bought the Xbox one version in the username listing compared to 20~ guys on the PS4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sacred Cow posted:

Has anyone used a hybrid drive on the PS4? Does it make a difference in loading speed? I have a 500GB SSHD and a 1TB 5400rpm drive and I'm trying to decide between speed or capacity.

A couple of people have tried it and it's a pretty small gain.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Sacred Cow posted:

Won't make a huge difference, go for capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

haveblue posted:

A couple of people have tried it and it's a pretty small gain.

Pretty much this. I'm not sure the PS4 can really take very good advantage of current SSHD's due to game size, and in your position I think going for 1TB now is the better option.

• Locked thread