Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
conrack
Oct 4, 2006
gently caress why did I come to this thread already...Nick needs to hurry the hell up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Hauldren Collider posted:

Also, we never saw Toph....

I don't think we saw Katara either, even though it ended on her granddaughter's airbending master ceremony.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Maybe she shows up again next season.

She's also voiced by Zelda Williams.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

As I still process the finale, any guesses on what the final book will be called? I'm banking on Avatar.

Also Nick released the episode early (someone finally figured out they should come out closer to Amazon o'clock).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Fuckin' hell that was heavy.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mymla posted:

I don't really understand why goons think it's such a horrible thing to want two fictional characters to be in a relationship with each other.

well it's fine

I don't even mind committing goon blasphemy and saying I have written/read fanfiction where people made out or whatever.

But this show ladled the romantic drama on way too thick for two seasons and did not do it in a particularly entertaining or sensible way (even if you want to deliberately pander to shippers, most people that get heavily involved in that poo poo are girls, so it makes more sense to roll out guy/girl/guy love triangles than the opposite).

Also, way too much shipping involves fanfiction where the characters graphically gently caress, and it is weird to see a kids' show encourage that phenomenon. I don't need to be reminded that, somewhere, people are writing awkward, uncomfortably-lavish sex scenes involving Saturday-morning cartoons

anyway, drat but this finale had some good magic kung-fu

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 22, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

So Korra's gonna get better right? I don't really feel like watching The Legend of chemotherapy girl Jinora

edit: Also P'Li getting owned was loving great.

Obviously she's not gonna become fuckin Barbra Gordon to the Air Nomad Batman but I really, really, would be annoyed if season 4 starts with some big dumb dramatic scene of Korra slowly getting out of her chair and thanking the nomads for all the help and all. It's such a great premise to put the Avatar in such a physically and emotionally vulnerable position, and the concept of Air Nomads traveling the world being badasses is great, I hope we get a decent bit of time with those two really solid ideas before the status quo returns.

And yea, get dunked on Combustion Lady, I know they couldn't have done some big gory head explosion but I'd have liked a more...I dunno...satisfying 'boom' for such a badass move.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Obviously she's not gonna become fuckin Barbra Gordon to the Air Nomad Batman but I really, really, would be annoyed if season 4 starts with some big dumb dramatic scene of Korra slowly getting out of her chair and thanking the nomads for all the help and all. It's such a great premise to put the Avatar in such a physically and emotionally vulnerable position, and the concept of Air Nomads traveling the world being badasses is great, I hope we get a decent bit of time with those two really solid ideas before the status quo returns.

Haha Oracle was actually the thing I was thinking of. Jesus, that'd be terrible. But I don't agree with you--the show is called "The Legend of Korra" and I think that'd be a totally fine way to open the season. There's still plenty of plot threads that haven't been wrapped up. The air nomads playing Batman while she recuperates is like a nation-wide character development--they are no longer divorcing themselves from earthly concerns. It's not like it's going straight back to the way things were to have her recover.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And yea, get dunked on Combustion Lady, I know they couldn't have done some big gory head explosion but I'd have liked a more...I dunno...satisfying 'boom' for such a badass move.

It's a kids show, they can't show GoW gibbing, but that's what I pictured in my head. I'll take what I can get. What an awesome way to kill someone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Haha Oracle was actually the thing I was thinking of. Jesus, that'd be terrible. But I don't agree with you--the show is called "The Legend of Korra" and I think that'd be a totally fine way to open the season. There's still plenty of plot threads that haven't been wrapped up. The air nomads playing Batman while she recuperates is like a nation-wide character development--they are no longer divorcing themselves from earthly concerns. It's not like it's going straight back to the way things were to have her recover.

I dunno, I'm not saying half the season needs to be A Very Special Rehab Episode, just like, give us the first couple episodes of her having to work her way back up. poo poo, just the first episode and maybe a little after that of her being all 'crap I still don't feel awesome but whatever, gotta do Avatar junk'. Korra's always been a physically dominant Avatar, and even as she worked to get better with spirit stuff she was a brawler above everything else. I think us seeing her having to cope with not being able to just punch the problems away would be a decent thing to finally give her some growth that people have been wanting. Zaheer and the Dark Avatar poo poo helped, sure, but at the end they were two douchebags who she could throw fire at when they got in her face, I'd like to see her having to deal with a 'threat' where 'well I guess I'm gonna beat the poo poo out of it' isn't an option, just for a little bit.

Normally I'd be adding some sarcastic 'and we all know how great the show has been handling this stuff already' bitch comment here but yea after this season I actually do think they can handle the balance of making Korra a bit vulnerable for a bit without totally neutering the cool punchy Avatar we like.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I'd hate to be the people who had to deal with P'Li's remains. Yikes.

Feels like Zaheer should have been a lot more broken up about his longtime girlfriend dying like she did. It was set up with so little emotional payoff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wildeyes posted:

Feels like Zaheer should have been a lot more broken up about his longtime girlfriend dying like she did. It was set up with so little emotional payoff.

That's what brought on his whole 'enter the void' thing though? Like, it was the ultimate 'walk the walk' moment for all his Air Nomad fetishism, he had to accept the loss of his love and remove himself from earthly concerns like 'oh poo poo my girlfriend just loving owned herself'. I guess it could have been interesting if he snapped then or something but I really loved that the guy who was constantly acting like he was some ancient sage reborn actually was able to live up to that poo poo instead of it being an act.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wildeyes posted:

You didn't get the message. Her sacrifice made him able to fly. It was the last earthly bond for him to cut.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wildeyes posted:

That was set up a bit earlier. They shared that moment in the temple, and he talked to her like he was saying goodbye. He knew that he needed to shed all worldly attachments in order to fulfill Guru Laghima's poem, and, well, she was his last worldly attachment. With her gone, there was nothing left that could make him hesitate from leaving the earth behind. He knew he would need to let her go, and then he did.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Wildeyes posted:

That was the point. Zaheer losing P'Li meant he no longer had any earthly ties or desires, which let him achieve Flight.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just wanna say to break up the wall of redaction like a CIA document, Zaheer is probably my favorite villain in Avatar yet, I never though a fusion of a Buddhist monk and an anarchist could be cool but welp there we go.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I know my opinion doesn't mean jack around here because I'm always Mr. Positive but holy goddamn that was better than I could have possibly hoped for. The fights were amazing, the end was amazing, the comedy was amazing, everything was perfect.

I was ready to be really loving pissed about Ba Sing Se apparently going to back to normal with the defeat of the Red Lotus but NOPE the Earth Kingdom is in total disarray Book 4 here we come!

That poison sequence was freaky as gently caress and kids are gonna get nightmares.

Edit: "You're a lavabender!" "I know. I just found out."

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 22, 2014

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

So, were Ghazan and Ming Hua an item? That is the most important question of the day.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
That's never answered, but in one of the behind the scenes things they say that Ghazan and Ming Hua are dead, for sure, no ifs ands or buts.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

That's never answered, but in one of the behind the scenes things they say that Ghazan and Ming Hua are dead, for sure, no ifs ands or buts.
Wait what? Link???

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

PiedPiper posted:

So, were Ghazan and Ming Hua an item? That is the most important question of the day.

They're probably still alive, Ghazan covered them in lava, but he can bend that, so we'll hopefully see them next book. It'd be a bit silly if he were killed by lava, as a lavabender. And also kill the woman he (supposedly) loves.

That finale was fantastic, some excellent bending fights, no large deities wrestling in a large city. But just a couple things, this is the second time Jinora has saved Korra in the finale, at least she had the help of all the airbenders this time. And how did she know the poison was metallic? I'm guessing she overheard them talking about it. It also means the guy who administered it was a metalbender instead of a waterbender. The two extras also disappeared once Korra went crazy, maybe they went back to their leader to tell them of Zaheer's failure.

Looking forward to next book, since it's pretty far ahead, hopefully we'll see it debut soon.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wait what? Link???

It's on Amazon: "The Spirit of an Episode: Venom of the Red Lotus".

BTW I just figured out what Zelda Williams Metalbender Zaofu Guard is. She's going to be a villain in the next season.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

They're probably still alive, Ghazan covered them in lava, but he can bend that, so we'll hopefully see them next book. It'd be a bit silly if he were killed by lava, as a lavabender. And also kill the woman he (supposedly) loves.

Nope, they're dead. Confirmed by the director of the final episode:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MXU8N7M/ref=dv_dp_ep113

conrack
Oct 4, 2006
We all knew Bolin would learn one of the special earth bending techniques at a dire moment so that didn't get as big of a 'HELL YEAH' out of me as when Mako electrocuted the poo poo out of Ming Hua. I had completely forgotten/didn't know he could lightning bend. Suyin''s move on P'Li got a solid shout out of me too. I loved every minute of these episodes.

Jinora getting her tattoos almost got me :3:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well that's just silly, I liked them. :sigh:

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Korra's always been a physically dominant Avatar, and even as she worked to get better with spirit stuff she was a brawler above everything else. I think us seeing her having to cope with not being able to just punch the problems away would be a decent thing to finally give her some growth that people have been wanting.

I loved how loving primal and brutal Korra in the Avatar state is. When Aang was forced into it he's a lot more powerful and his all movements are really really precise and efficient. Korra on the other hand is the goddamn Hulk just hurling herself and the elements at Zaheer with complete rage and is basically just an unstoppable bending monster. There's no chance that if she's caught up with Zaheer in that state that Korra wouldn't have just torn him apart.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I did really enjoy Korra's :black101: "When I get free, none of you will survive!" She doesn't have Aang's hangups on that score.

It's on Amazon: "The Spirit of an Episode: Venom of the Red Lotus".

BTW I just figured out what Zelda Williams Metalbender Zaofu Guard is. She's going to be a villain in the next season.
I don't know why people are jumping to this conclusion. The Red Lotus's stated goals are the deaths of authority figures. If she was Red Lotus, all she has to do is... not catch the Chief of the Southern Water Tribe.

I think it's more likely she'll figure into someone's romance interest. Or it was just a nice cameo, like Serena Williams as a sympathetic fire nation guard back in the first series.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Calico Noose posted:

I loved how loving primal and brutal Korra in the Avatar state is. When Aang was forced into it he's a lot more powerful and his all movements are really really precise and efficient. Korra on the other hand is the goddamn Hulk just hurling herself and the elements at Zaheer with complete rage and is basically just an unstoppable bending monster. There's no chance that if she's caught up with Zaheer in that state that Korra wouldn't have just torn him apart.
She thought Zaheer had killed her dad during that fight.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man oh man oh man that was great. That was just loving great. Absolutely phenomenal.

I legit teared up when Jinora took off her hood to reveal her tattoos. Not only was it an incredibly emotional moment on its own, but god drat if she wasn't the spitting image of little Aang.

Also, I'm pretty shocked that Zaheer is the only Red Lotus member who actually made it through the finale. Even if Ming Hua survived getting zapped by Mako, she sure as gently caress didn't survive Ghazan's kamikaze cavern collapse. I loved how they ended with him. Bolin stuffing a sock in his mouth was the perfect :fuckoff: to a character known for his speeches.

There needed to be at least an explosion with P'Li's death. Come on, Nick. If you're gonna banish the show to the internet, take advantage of the medium. :mad:

A little thing, but I loved Korra fighting when she was chained up, because of course she would. That was such a perfect illustration of her character.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The finale just got put up on Nick. :getin:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So I think we can all agree now that it's good that The Legend of Korra got made, right?

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Toshimo posted:

You didn't get the message. Her sacrifice made him able to fly. It was the last earthly bond for him to cut.

Fine, FINE, I just think they could have sold that a little better. :colbert:

I hate being a naysayer. Maybe this finale will grow on me with a couple rewatches.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder that spoiler tagged images don't stay spoilered when quoted.

Also, I'm still laughing about that one Red Lotus guard who's all mopey about not getting to see the Avatar cycle end. "I can hold a bowl of poison. :mad:"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Holy poo poo that was a good ending. Korra was BRUTAL in the Avatar state. Did she just rip the chains out of the goddamn walls or did she earthbend? I like to think she earthbent that first one then just broke the rest of them. Her seeing all her past villains was also amazing. I was really hoping she'd nailed Zaheer with that mountain. I loved that she ended emotionally vulnerable even when everyone around her praised her heroism - losing the ability to walk has to lead to some serious depression for someone as boisterous as her. I'm really looking forward to next season and her arc. I kinda hope Asami is the one to get her back on her feet.
Mako zapping Ming Hua and Suyin wrapping P'li's head up to stop her was great. All of my favorite fights have featured Zaheer running for his life. He was a great central villain and the EVIL team Avatar dynamic was fantastic. I'm sad they all died horribly except Zaheer, but it was inevitable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Calico Noose posted:

Yea I was surprised that she just went buck wild win Avatar State. I was expecting some classic "IT'S OVER, YOU CAN STILL TURN AROUND" kinda thing but nope she just fuckin raged and it was the best.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Wildeyes posted:

Fine, FINE, I just think they could have sold that a little better. :colbert:

I hate being a naysayer. Maybe this finale will grow on me with a couple rewatches.

I don't get how you missed that they sold it. He explicitly stated losing all earthly attachments would let him motherfucking fly. His buddies acting all indignant as if it was a secret ability he hadn't told them about was great too.

Bolin's "I know. I just found out." line completely re-sold me on his character again.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I was surprised that she just went buck wild win Avatar State. I was expecting some classic "IT'S OVER, YOU CAN STILL TURN AROUND" kinda thing but nope she just fuckin raged and it was the best.

She did Kiyoshi proud.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Eh, double post!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Nope, they're dead. Confirmed by the director of the final episode:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MXU8N7M/ref=dv_dp_ep113

I don't suppose if anyone knows if that's available somewhere that isn't region locked?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bolin shoving his girlfriend's mom out of the way is the best joke this show has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Bolin shoving his girlfriend's mom out of the way is the best joke this show has done.

No, that would be the look Suyin gave him when he did it.

• Locked thread