Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Does anybody have any advice on the easiest way to get a will sorted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
They used to sell kits in WH Smith.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Late to the party, but, given that the police in some cases fathered children, is the CSA on to them for child support, I wonder?

I bet it isn't, duh

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Zephro posted:

Late to the party, but, given that the police in some cases fathered children, is the CSA on to them for child support, I wonder?

I bet it isn't, duh

The police probably pay it, like an expenses thing.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TinTower posted:

(but not disclosing STI status doesn't).

While this is true, it's only true because GBH is a more fitting crime than rape, and assault resulting in GBH is the actual charge for not telling someone you have an STI.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

While this is true, it's only true because GBH is a more fitting crime than rape, and assault resulting in GBH is the actual charge for not telling someone you have an STI.

GBH doesn't get you on the register, though.

Dange
Sep 11, 2003
I AM A LIAR

Xachariah posted:

Yeah but it's not as progressive a tax as income:

- if you earn more than £153 a week and up to £805 a week, you pay 12% of the amount you earn between £153 and £805

- if you earn more than £805 a week, you also pay 2% of all your earnings over £805

This is almost a flat tax since it just goes from 12% to 14%

edit: but nonetheless, I'm sure they make up any shortfalls through income tax which itself is progressive.

I don't wish to dredge up an old post, but I really think this needs to be corrected: National Insurance is a regressive tax. For the upper band, the 2% of your earnings over £805 is all that is paid in NI contributions. It goes from 12% to 2%.

This is something which should be a scandal since it is so horribly regressive, but somehow never gets mentioned.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Dange posted:

For the upper band, the 2% of your earnings over £805 is all that is paid in NI contributions. It goes from 12% to 2%.
It's not all, they still pay the 12% between £153 and £805.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Semprini posted:

It's not all, they still pay the 12% between £153 and £805.

That doesn't make it any less regressive though, since your effective rate asymptotes down towards 2% as your income increases past the £805/week threshold.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

True, I was just correcting a small factual point.

Though if you're income's at that level, chances are you've arranged your affairs to avoid paying the NI in the first place.

Dange
Sep 11, 2003
I AM A LIAR

Semprini posted:

True, I was just correcting a small factual point.

Though if you're income's at that level, chances are you've arranged your affairs to avoid paying the NI in the first place.

Yes, I should have been clearer that my reference to 2% being all that was paid on earnings above £805 referred only to tax paid on those higher earnings, and that 12% had already been paid on the lower level of earnings. This was because I was replying to an earlier post suggesting that 14% was being paid, when in fact 2% is all that was being paid.

That said, I don't think this slight ambiguity detracts from the fact that it is a horribly regressive tax. Suggesting (possibly correctly) that those in line to pay it may have restructured their affairs to avoid paying the tax is neither here nor there.

We have a horribly backwards tax at the heart of the UK taxation system. In fact, when you account for the different levels at which the marginal rate of income tax changes (and I am going to ignore the band between ~£32,000 and ~£42,000), the combined income tax & NI rates payable in the UK are 0% (for the first ~£8,000 to ~£10,000), then 32% at around £10,000; 42% at around £42,000, then 47% at £150,000.

Bearing in mind the fact that richer individuals will structure their affairs in a more "tax-efficient" manner, we have a situation in the UK where the less well off pay more or less the same as the better off. As I said in my previous post, this should be considered a scandal. Regrettably, the issue is never raised by any institution in this country, and people seem to miss this fact as a result.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Whitefish posted:

My feeling is that the key difference is that UK politicians spend much less of their time actively fundraising when compared to US politicians. My impression is that to be a prominent US politician you have to be fundraising constantly. E.g. I don't think the scale of fundraising in UK politics approaches the sort of thing discussed in this podcast: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/461/take-the-money-and-run-for-office<snip>

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response.

Edit:

To continue the tax theme, UKIP actually have a tax policy, who knew it.

They've given up the flat tax idea, but are lowering the top rate to 40% while ensuring anyone earning minimum wage or below pays no income tax at all.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 21, 2014

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Prince John posted:

They've given up the flat tax idea, but are lowering the top rate to 40% while ensuring anyone earning minimum wage or below pays no income tax at all.

Which is basically what the coalition are doing anyway, funnily enough.

Actually raising the income tax threshold to £12,500pa (i.e., just above NMW) lowers the living wage by about 25p, as the living wage calculation takes income tax into consideration.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Prince John posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response.

Edit:

UKIP has always been a MAH TAXES party, that £ isn't in the logo because there's a danger we'll be adopting the Euro or anything.

So really, huge tax cuts for the rich, a few crumbs for the poor - with the personal allowance at £10,000, if you earn minimum wage you won't pay any income tax on your first 30.5 hours of work anyway. If you work 40 hours then sure that's £623 a year in your pocket, but there'll be cuts in services and other welfare to pay for it all, and you're probably not going to work out better off. If you were already earning less than that then too bad!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dange posted:

Bearing in mind the fact that richer individuals will structure their affairs in a more "tax-efficient" manner, we have a situation in the UK where the less well off pay more or less the same as the better off. As I said in my previous post, this should be considered a scandal. Regrettably, the issue is never raised by any institution in this country, and people seem to miss this fact as a result.

The only reason I have the first idea what NI might be for is because I've been on the dole and noticed that I'd have gotten bigger payments (how much bigger? for how long? gently caress knows) if I had any contributions to my name. Beyond that I haven't the faintest.

You wouldn't think I'd need to know anything about it to get mad about it being backwards (which I didn't know until just now mind), but I guess the mystery coupled with the lower rate compared to income tax allows it to slip under the radar for most people. :iiam:

--

Speaking of taxes, does anyone know [or know the magic words I can mutter at the gov.uk search engine to find out] how to get out of having an emergency income tax code, and how to get the money back? I assume the latter is a matter of applying for a rebate this March-ish, but I'm not sure if the tax code thing will fix itself or what since I'm technically on zero contracted hours (even though I'm all but guaranteed permanent work since everything is on fire all the time at my current placement).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
If you're on PAYE it should be sorted out automatically at the end of the tax year, although that's a while away. If you want to get it changed before then you'll probably have to speak to someone at HRMC. I doubt you can do it online because tax is so amazingly complicated. I know I couldn't when I was temping and stuck on emergency tax because I had a dozen different jobs in a given year.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
When that happened to me I called HMRC and after sorting it out on the phone I had a new code and they sent me the money after a few weeks. It did take over a week to clear though which took the piss somewhat as it was a decent chunk of money.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Renaissance Robot posted:

The only reason I have the first idea what NI might be for is because I've been on the dole and noticed that I'd have gotten bigger payments (how much bigger? for how long? gently caress knows) if I had any contributions to my name. Beyond that I haven't the faintest.

You wouldn't think I'd need to know anything about it to get mad about it being backwards (which I didn't know until just now mind), but I guess the mystery coupled with the lower rate compared to income tax allows it to slip under the radar for most people. :iiam:

--

Speaking of taxes, does anyone know [or know the magic words I can mutter at the gov.uk search engine to find out] how to get out of having an emergency income tax code, and how to get the money back? I assume the latter is a matter of applying for a rebate this March-ish, but I'm not sure if the tax code thing will fix itself or what since I'm technically on zero contracted hours (even though I'm all but guaranteed permanent work since everything is on fire all the time at my current placement).

Grab a p60 or a statement of earnings YTD

Find your current tax code and NI number

Call HMRC, explain to the very helpful people

They will confirm the PAYE numbers and if the tax code is wrong they will either fix it there (very fast) or ask you to mail them the documents. This takes up to 6 earth weeks.

Make sure they adjust your tax code retroactively if it is inside a tax year (not on a week 1/month 1 basis). You may or may not get a refund or be asked to pay.

Go to your payroll dept and ask them to confirm the changes were made. You will get a letter with the changes eventually but they are reflected online before that happens.

The paper check (wtf) takes weeks to come and clears after a week because this dumb country's clearinghouse system is awful.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Poison Jam posted:

When that happened to me I called HMRC and after sorting it out on the phone I had a new code and they sent me the money after a few weeks. It did take over a week to clear though which took the piss somewhat as it was a decent chunk of money.

Yeah, they can generally sort it over the phone. My tax code for 2012 was buggered; I went from unemployed to temp to permanent employment halfway through the year, but HMRC somehow interpreted that as my primary employer being Jobseekers Allowance, and my secondary employer being my actual full-time job, so my tax status was so hilariously screwed their system sent me 5 envelopes worth of contradictory PAYE data that came to about 85 pages of worthless nonsense.

When I phoned up they were really good, actually. The bloke on the phone was unsurprised, took all my details, managed to pull up the correct start/end dates for my employment off his system and a week later I had a simple 1 page letter confirming my correct code and a cheque for £2500 worth of incorrect taxation.

Apparently it happens quite often when going unemployed-temp-permanent in a short space of time, which seems fairly ridiculous when you consider the amount of people that must go through that process.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Energy company refuses to pass on fall in wholesale prices to consumers because it might not be able to gouge them again after the next election:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/aug/22/npower-blames-labour-energy-price-freeze

The Guardian posted:

The chief executive of one of the UK's biggest energy companies has said his firm has not reduced fuel bills because of the Labour party's threat to freeze prices.

The claim was made in a letter from Paul Massara, the head of npower, to Ofgem, the energy regulator.

Massara claims that dropping prices – at a time when there is a dip in wholesale gas prices – would be risky because npower would not be able to raise them again should Labour win the next election and put in place a proposed freeze.

In the letter, published in The Times, Massara claims the Labour proposal has complicated any possible falls in energy costs at a time when gas prices have more than halved.

"The political and media pressures at the moment make it more difficult to reduce prices and then increase them again next spring," he wrote.

"Then we are acutely aware that if the Labour party were to implement their proposed price freeze, we will be living with the consequences of our standard rate tariff price for a very long time and beyond the level of risk that we could manage in the wholesale market."

The correspondence came after Ofgem wrote to energy suppliers in June to ask why they had not passed on price drops to the consumer.

Npower is the subsidiary of Germany's RWE group.

Last September, Ed Miliband said Labour would freeze gas and electricity bills in the UK for 20 months if it wins the 2015 election, claiming the energy companies have been overcharging.

"The potential Labour price freeze has, of course, also complicated all pricing decisions further," said Massara in his letter.

"Won't someone please think of our profits?!"

e: forgot the link.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28896675
Almost 3 years in jail for recording a film from the back of a cinema, probably with a phone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Almost 3 years in jail for recording a film from the back of a cinema, probably with a phone.

Pretty much every quote in that piece makes me angry, from Fact and their "millions of pounds" of losses for Universal Pictures to the filth's "We assisted the Federation Against Copyright Theft throughout this case with search warrants, forcing entry to addresses and making arrests. We also supported with evidence recovery and interviewing suspects.Fraud comes in many guises and ultimately affects all of us." I can think of a particular kind of fraud the CPS have only yesterday declined to prosecute. That can't be one of the "many guises" he meant though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Now now, let's not get tabloidy. He used a camcorder, and was selling physical copies of the film. Recording isn't (apparently) an offense in itself, but combined with his other actions it becomes an offense.

Also he was a gigantic idiot, using the same usernames in email addresses and across sites, and selling the disks via facebook of all things. And he did it having been previously arrested and released for a similar offense. He should have quit while he was ahead.

Harsh sentence when compared to other crimes but I have trouble finding sympathy with such unrepentant idiocy. It makes me all the more unsympathetic that his idiocy has given the entertainment industry lawyers another victory to gloat over.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

E: Beaten more eloquently.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

In case you're wondering why there's a massive sexism and homophobia problem in football, seems like the League Managers Association have explained why.

Clearly, Malky MacKay is the Archbishop of Banterbury.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TinTower posted:

In case you're wondering why there's a massive sexism and homophobia problem in football, seems like the League Managers Association have explained why.

To be fair they aren't harming their minority managers with that comment, because there aren't any

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

TinTower posted:

They have since come out and reaffirmed their stance on homophobia, misogny and bullying (that they're against it in all forms). Seems like in a rush to defend a union member they overstepped the mark;

LMA posted:

“The LMA apologises for some of its wording, in its release yesterday, which was inappropriate and has been perceived to trivialise matters of a racist, sexist or homophobic nature. That was certainly not our intention.

“It is beyond argument that any comments that are discriminatory, even used in private, are totally unacceptable. The LMA remains absolutely aware of our responsibility to the game and to promote and uphold the highest standards of behaviour.

“The LMA will not be commenting further on the allegations relating to Malky Mackay whilst the Football Association conducts its investigation, other than to repeat that both the LMA and Malky will be co-operating fully. We will continue to work with all of the game’s stakeholders to address the important issues of respect and discriminatory behaviour in all its forms.”

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Total Meatlove posted:

They have since come out and reaffirmed their stance on homophobia, misogny and bullying (that they're against it in all forms). Seems like in a rush to defend a union member they overstepped the mark;

And Cardiff are demanding the head of the LMA resigns over this, which seems reasonable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28898540

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

"we apologise for the wording" ie not the content.
standard non-apology

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

KKKlean Energy posted:

he was a gigantic idiot, using the same usernames in email addresses and across sites, and selling the disks via facebook of all things. And he did it having been previously arrested and released for a similar offense. He should have quit while he was ahead.

quote:

Officers were able to trace him after he used the username TheCod3r to leave a comment on a well-known pirated movie website.

Danks had used the same username on the Plenty of Fish dating website.

:laugh:

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Spangly A posted:

To be fair they aren't harming their minority managers with that comment, because there aren't any

To be pedantic there's Chris Hughton.

It appears he left football this year nvm.

The football league has made leaps and bounds to stifle racism in its supporter base but you're right in that management/boards are an absolute white wash.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
Poor TheCod3r. It seems like he got into all this trouble because he just couldn't stop himself gobbing off online :smith:

quote:

Sentencing Recorder Keith Raynor said: ‘This was bold, arrogant and cocksure offending.
‘You approach to the film industry was made clear in the posting you made on Facebook two days after your arrest.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Philip Danks is my new hero.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

gorki posted:

Poor TheCod3r. It seems like he got into all this trouble because he just couldn't stop himself gobbing off online :smith:
He's got a loving point though.

Edit: Although he deserves 3 years for his abuse of the apostrophe.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 22, 2014

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

gorki posted:

Haha this guy is awesome

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That's someone from the thread that won't be posting for a while.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I've never really understood people in the UK doing those cinema filming jobs for dodgy DVDs surely somebody else in the world has already beaten them to it?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
ze germans are making food cheap and now the supermarkets are having a little scrap: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/war-on-the-aisles-sees-first-fall-in-food-sales-9684798.html

quote:

Britain is in the midst of a supermarket price war that has so far taken the scalps of Tesco’s chief executive and finance director, ended Sainsbury’s unprecedented nine years of sales growth, and seen Morrisons suffer some of the biggest sales falls in living memory.

The war is so fierce, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) yesterday revealed the first fall in spending by shoppers year on year since records began 25 years ago and a low level of retail price inflation.

The average price of goods in grocers was 0.2 per cent higher than a year ago – the lowest rise since 2004 – and the average price in July was 0.9 per cent lower than 2013. On Tuesday the consumer prices index, one measure of UK inflation, fell to 1.6 per cent from 1.9 per cent a month earlier.

Deflation ho!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I just read THOSE BRUSSELS BUREAUCRATS are going to make me use a lovely underpowered vacuum cleaner. Farage was right/it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Will this affect my access to Henry vacuum cleaners?

• Locked thread