Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Random Number posted:

Hey man I'm just giving you my schizophrenic reading of this videogame. The fact that my reading resembles a loosely assembled bowel movement composed of tvtropes nonsense and 100 level critical reading courses is secondary to the subtext.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Random Number posted:

Mass Effect 3 is a game I haven't played so I don't know what's going to happen next.

Why don't you play it? It's really fun.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Sydin posted:

To be fair to the writers, I don't think "The Reapers are the Anti-Spirals" would have changed much in terms of the negative reaction to the Reaper's motivations. I think Bioware kind of wrote themselves into a corner in the Sovereign conversation where he pretty much tells you that the Reaper's reasons are so complex that the human mind can't begin to comprehend them. It certainly made for an incredible narrative hook (who doesn't love the Sovereign conversation?) but it hypes the poo poo out of the Reapers because any motivation that you can understand just ends up falling flat. "Mass effect energy is destroying the universe so stop it you dicks", as well as the motivation actually used in ME3, are both perfectly logical and easy to understand.

I'd almost argue the answer is to not reveal their motivations at all. Complete their picture as a force of nature by making them this unstoppable alien hoard that wants to harvest all life for reasons you can't even begin to fathom, that cannot be understood or reasoned with. And hell, this is what the Reapers were up until the very last minute, which might be some of the reasoning behind why the ending is so reviled.

I actually figured Sovereign was bullshitting you all along. The conversation reads like an attempt at psychological warfare, and if Reapers are as god-like as they say, then why would they bother trying to intimidate you?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BioMe posted:

I actually figured Sovereign was bullshitting you all along. The conversation reads like an attempt at psychological warfare, and if Reapers are as god-like as they say, then why would they bother trying to intimidate you?

I thought it was Sovereign being annoyed that three meatsacks were bothering it by calling the line it set aside to communicate with its intended puppet, Saren. It answered Shepard's questions (sort of), but made it clear that it honestly does not care what s/he says in response because it considers all organics beneath it. The Reapers are nothing if not arrogant.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I thought it was Sovereign being annoyed that three meatsacks were bothering it by calling the line it set aside to communicate with its intended puppet, Saren. It answered Shepard's questions (sort of), but made it clear that it honestly does not care what s/he says in response because it considers all organics beneath it. The Reapers are nothing if not arrogant.

A machine-god beyond organic understanding... who likes to get into verbal fights with people who annoy it?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

BioMe posted:

A machine-god beyond organic understanding... who likes to get into verbal fights with people who annoy it?

Well that's the thing, it's not actually beyond understanding. It's just a cocky prick.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Would make sense if they'd ever picked up that "we are each a nation" ball and run with it. Even by the ending of ME3 it's pretty vague in what sense the Reapers embody the species of previous cycles. But hey, why bother with characterizing your antagonist over the next 40 hours when you can do it in the last ten minutes of the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arglebargle III posted:

But hey, why bother with characterizing your antagonist over the next 40 hours when you can not do it in the last ten minutes of the game.
Don't forget the DLC!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
To the best of my knowledge, its not out on PC yet and I don't own a console.

Lt. Danger posted:

Why don't you play it? It's really fun.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

ME3 is out on PC, it's just on Origin.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rogue0071 posted:

If it's not on steam, then it's not really on PC, now is it?

vvvv :P

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 22, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rogue0071 posted:

It might as well not be out on PC, then. :v:

BioMe posted:

This is actually a really solid point, and I like because if that's the case, it worked on me. I bought Sovereign's bullshit and was in awe of the Reapers.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Lt. Danger posted:

Is this really what's important here?
If the Turians walked around doing handstands and held their guns between their thighs, would that be dumb enough for you to care?

e: To clarify, your posts tend to read as if you're completely indifferent to the story making any kind of internal sense or having any plausibility. I do not agree with this position, if it is the one you hold.

Cycloneman fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 22, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Cycloneman posted:

If the Turians walked around doing handstands and held their guns between their thighs, would that be dumb enough for you to care?

e: To clarify, your posts tend to read as if you're completely indifferent to the story making any kind of internal sense or having any plausibility. I do not agree with this position, if it is the one you hold.

Beyond a basic level of intelligibility I just don't think it matters. Plausibility is fairly arbitrary anyway.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Well that's the thing, it's not actually beyond understanding. It's just a cocky prick.

It's also extremely irritated, having failed twice already (Rachni, Keepers) and looking to potentially fail a third time unless it can convince Shepard to kindly gently caress off.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Lt. Danger posted:

Beyond a basic level of intelligibility I just don't think it matters. Plausibility is fairly arbitrary anyway.
I'd argue that it depends very strongly on the nature of the story and its presentation, as well. Themes and messages aside, I believe the ME series as a whole can be characterised as a sci-fi blockbuster with strong '80s and early '90s action-flick sensibilities. It's Total Recall (the original) and Starship Troopers, not Saving Private Ryan or Argo in space. It provides Michael Bay's facsimile of military realism. It does this even when you look at its gameplay - ArmA games, these are decidedly not. Nor should they have to be. In fact, I'd go so far as to posit that the ME games need a great many characters being idiots and amateurs, because it is their ineptitude that allows Shepard to shine. If for nobody else's benefit but the player's satisfaction, people around Shepard must constantly make mistakes so that Shepard can fix them.*

*Also, how many people honestly complain about the utter madness of Star Trek's high-ranking officers, who happily beam themselves down into completely unknown environments (often ones where someone's just died under mysterious circumstances) again and again and again? Some things you just have to accept for the sake of the story being told.

Cryohazard posted:

It's also extremely irritated, having failed twice already (Rachni, Keepers) and looking to potentially fail a third time unless it can convince Shepard to kindly gently caress off.
Actually, in Leviathan it is suggested that Leviathan (together its few remaining ilk, presumably) may have been responsible for the rachni wars.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Lt. Danger posted:

Plausibility is fairly arbitrary anyway.

You're just saying that.

Seriously though, everything is arbitrary. Plausibility has to do with the construction of a narrative that tracks arbitrary events and attempts to offer a hypothesis about the Brontosaurus by Anne Elk, Phd.

So in a narrative context, it seems valid to say 'this seemed arbitrary, because the narrative was insufficiently constructed to make me 'buy' that a series of events constituted a pattern other than that derived from the lunatic ravings of a bourbon drinker.'

You know how grog was rationed to the crew of warships? It's like that. You can have grog every day, but if you're caught drunk before the mast, it's the lash for you.

Also no buggery. Which, obviously, is not relevant to a bioware game.

Edit: I'm in favor of what the dude above said regarding the idea that Reaper's aren't assholes--they're just completely committed to the extermination of life, and hey, if that means that saying something insulting and confusing to a creature might make it sad and less inclined to fight you--then so much the better. It costs so little to try, you might as well.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

We know for a fact that Turians can't process rum due to their body chemistry, and Mass Effect: Refenestration mentions that their fleet abolished the practice of lashing shortly after the First Contact war. Therefore, the Turian fleet runs on sodomy and sodomy alone. QED.

Edit - vvv. Yeah, I'm sure :wrex: was a smilie at some point.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 23, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
This makes sense. Garrus does spend a lot of time recalibrating the weapons. And he's a more plausible gay liason than Kaiden.

edit: oops, forgot :sicknasty:
edit 2: huh? How is there :zaeed: :tali: :legion: and :turianass: but not :sicknasty:?

\/\/ edit 3: thanks!

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 23, 2014

MidnightVulpine
Oct 8, 2009
So, Mr. Danger, you posit that Mass Effect is the sci fi version of a good zombie movie. In which the zombies aren't the stars, they're the plot device that sets the scene and provides the overarching conflict while poking in now and then to be a more direct and immediate threat. But ultimately it's about the people and the world.

I would say I agree. I've never given it much thought before, to be honest. I simply took the game as it presented itself and never paid a lot of attention to the subtext. So I am quite willing and even eager to give your opinions some thought. There's still a lot of game to go through. That's a lot of commentary to give.

Thinking about some past posts about how things should have been done to be better, I find myself glad they didn't go that way at the moment. To focus more on the reaper war and a less fanciful or deus ex machina way to deal with the big bad would have made a very different game overall. And not necessarily one that was as interesting as this one was.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

This makes sense. Garrus does spend a lot of time recalibrating the weapons. And he's a more plausible gay liason than Kaiden.

edit: oops, forgot :garrus:
edit 2: huh? How is there :zaeed: :tali: :legion: and :turianass: but not :garrus:?

It's :sicknasty:, based off of his famous "Sick Nasty!" line he'd spout in Mass Effect 2.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Xander77 posted:

We know for a fact that Turians can't process rum due to their body chemistry, and Mass Effect: Refenestration mentions that their fleet abolished the practice of lashing shortly after the First Contact war. Therefore, the Turian fleet runs on sodomy and sodomy alone. QED.

...but enough about your fanfic.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think you've misunderstood the role of rum in the operation of warships.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I don't understand how anyone could like this game.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You're just saying that.

Seriously though, everything is arbitrary. Plausibility has to do with the construction of a narrative that tracks arbitrary events and attempts to offer a hypothesis about the Brontosaurus by Anne Elk, Phd.

So in a narrative context, it seems valid to say 'this seemed arbitrary, because the narrative was insufficiently constructed to make me 'buy' that a series of events constituted a pattern other than that derived from the lunatic ravings of a bourbon drinker.'

Yes, but I think in that scene the meaning intended was that the turians were getting killed off and Tarquin needed Shepard to defend him, rather than going helmetless in a combat zone is a legitimate authentic tactic in C22. It's silly, yeah, but the whole story is silly and the whole premise for the setting is silly.

Also the turian navy does indeed run on sodomy, hence the constant references to Garrus having "a stick up his rear end". This is canon.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Lt. Danger, I just wanted to mention that I'm finding this LP very interesting so far. I'm not sure I agree with you 100% of the time but this is a (to me) fresh perspective on the game and one that is greatly appreciated.

On "Cerberus is more fun to fight than the Reapers":
- If the Reapers weren't so much of a pain to fight between husk rushs and tough-to-kill long range artillery and other tough enemies, then the gameplay would be incongruous with what we are directly told, that Reaperized forces have been wiping things out for however-many-cycles.
- All of this is also necessary for the player to understand that conventional forces aren't enough, and that while defeating Cerberus seems all but certain, the defeat of the Reapers is much less so.
- Reaper forces tend to be much more efficient at getting you out of cover. Cerberus may be able to lock something down with a turret, but the roughly equivalent Ravagers are marching towards you and trying to flank you. This takes the concept of "cover", a safe place where you can pick at enemies for a few minutes, and turns it on its side - cover is temporary, cover is illusory, and what happens is the feelings of safety that you get with cover in (say) ME2 or most cover shooters is replaced with unease, that even if you ran to the back of the battlefield and tried to hide in the best cover possible it would only be a matter of time. There's no cover, anywhere, not on this battlefield or any other. Cover is, like the Relays and the Citadel, a trap.

This may counteract your point about ME3 not being about the Reapers per se, but I nevertheless think it is good gameplay-and-story integration.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 23, 2014

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Teledahn posted:

There are lots of mans to shoot and when you shoot them they head asplode. What more do you want?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Teledahn posted:

I don't understand how anyone could like you!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Teledahn posted:

Because it's fun?

I mean, the game has issues, but the gameplay is solid.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Teledahn posted:

As vocal as I am about this game's many plot holes and pretentious pseudo-artistic scenes, the gameplay is the best in the series and the story is better than many other videogames on the market (low bar, but still). It's hardly a crime to like it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Not inside the city walls, anyway. *listens nervously to to ever-louder battle chants of the besieging RPG Codex army*

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Vanguard playstyle is also pretty much perfected in ME3, so long as you turn your brain off and don't listen to what people are actually saying you can have an amazingly fun time teleport-punching people.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I liked the game but will I play it again? Probably not.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
So, uh, this LP sold me on buying the ME series again (properly this time). Just completed ME1 again.

After playing through its ending again, I find it hard to believe anyone can defend the Green ending of ME3. Who looks at End-Boss Robo-Saren and thinks "Well, clearly if this was Shepard instead all the problems would be solved and this would be a satisfying ending to the series!"?

When the series' first and most obvious reference to it is so easy to revile, who can blame people for assuming Synthesis was 'wrong' or 'bad'? Even speaking from a thematic, subtextual standpoint, Saren encapsulates everything wrong with the Reapers - how does a critic reconcile this ugly, horrendously flawed view of synthesis with what Mass Effect 3 promises us under the same name?

Not to get ahead of myself here, though. This LP's barely begun, and my re-journeying through the Mass Effect series has hardly started too. There's plenty more to enjoy.

(Keep up the good work!)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ungulateman posted:

So, uh, this LP sold me on buying the ME series again (properly this time). Just completed ME1 again.

After playing through its ending again, I find it hard to believe anyone can defend the Green ending of ME3. Who looks at End-Boss Robo-Saren and thinks "Well, clearly if this was Shepard instead all the problems would be solved and this would be a satisfying ending to the series!"?

When the series' first and most obvious reference to it is so easy to revile, who can blame people for assuming Synthesis was 'wrong' or 'bad'? Even speaking from a thematic, subtextual standpoint, Saren encapsulates everything wrong with the Reapers - how does a critic reconcile this ugly, horrendously flawed view of synthesis with what Mass Effect 3 promises us under the same name?

Not to get ahead of myself here, though. This LP's barely begun, and my re-journeying through the Mass Effect series has hardly started too. There's plenty more to enjoy.

(Keep up the good work!)

Answer: Videogame reviewers are a complete joke. Not only are they unqualified and easily swayed by gimmicks and "deep" imagery, but they are under heavy pressure to provide good reviews for big name developers/series (handily explaining why Final Fantasy keeps getting good scores).

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 23, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I meant 'critic' in the more general sense than a reviewer specifically - a video game critic, in my mind, is anyone who cares enough to put actual thought into discussing it.

You're a critic. I'm a critic. Lt. Danger is the critic who holds the conch in this Thread of the Flies.

Ironically, videogame journalists who churn out a meaningless number upon a game's release under a sense of obligation? They're probably the least critical of us all. (Although others take their job seriously/far too seriously, which causes a whole other host of problems unrelated to this post and/or thread.)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ungulateman posted:

(Keep up the good work!)

Maybe. The Saren/Sovereign synthesis was one born on a master/slave relationship. The two sides were not equal. Saren was Sovereign's agent, or proxy, for affairs that a spaceship sized alien could not do. Saren was a puppet just like a character will be later in this LP. Syntehsis, however, is atleast sold as an equal merger of organic and inorganics. At least as it is sold to the player, no one side is the master and no one side is the servant: the two are now equal by being the same type of being.

If anything, the Saren/Sovereign relationship is much more like the Control ending than the Syntehsis ending. Sovereign -- who "knows better" as he is a reaper -- controls Saren and makes him do as he is told for the "betterment of the galaxy." Shepard -- who knows better because he is the player character or, in-universe, because he was able to unite the species -- controls galactic society and guides it down a particular path for the "betterment of the galaxy." Thematically, those two things are more linked since they work on a master/slave relationship. After all, once Shepard is one with the reapers, no one can deny him out of fear.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ungulateman posted:

(Keep up the good work!)

Uhh.. That's the Blue ending, not Green. Green is Shepard forcibly turning everyone everyone into a cyborg and absolutely no one having a problem with it

E:

Arglebargle III posted:

How could anyone have a problem with it when it's so vague and meaningless? You all have circuit board tattoos, war is over!

I love how before the extended edition the culmination of Shepard's ultimate sacrifice was "EDI and Joker can bone now."

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 24, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Uhh.. That's the Blue ending, not Green. Green is Shepard forcibly turning everyone everyone into a cyborg and absolutely no one having a problem with it

How could anyone have a problem with it when it's so vague and meaningless? You all have circuit board tattoos, war is over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kurieg posted:

E:

I love how before the extended edition the culmination of Shepard's ultimate sacrifice was "EDI and Joker can bone now."

It's not actually clear what the Green ending does exactly, it unifies organic and inorganic life which apparently gives everyone glowy green circuit board tattooes. What does that actually mean from the physical standpoint? No clue, the game doesn't say.

You can feel free to hypothesize about what exactly Green does but all we know for sure is that it breaks the cycle by unifying organic and inorganic life to create a single united form of life that is both organic and inorganic.

I like to imagine it cyborgs everything (including synthetics) at a cellular level; so now everyone is made up of little cyborg cells with little glowy red (or green) HAL eyes.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 24, 2014

• Locked thread