Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

dragon_pamcake posted:

Watch the first episode of Supernatural and Interview with a Vampire as a group. Ask them which one was more awesome

Don't forget The Matrix and An American Werewolf in London.

What would be a good movie for Promethean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Pope Guilty posted:

It's goddamned unbelievable how good Tom Cruise is in Interview. I would never have guessed he had it in him.

It's even more goddamned unbelievable that they could probably cast him in a sequel today and sell him as unaging.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Don't forget The Matrix and An American Werewolf in London.

Homeward Bound.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Senior Scarybagels posted:

American Beauty

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Could Pan's Labyrinth work for Changeling if the Faun changed her into a fairy to replace the ones she got killed?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Demon isn't the Matrix, it's Transformers. :v:

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Benagain posted:

At a guess, beasts would be those that ran. Just bolted one day and kept on going. Elementals I am not sure.

The way I see it, both beasts and elementals gave up their humanity to escape. Ogres fought and internalised anger, but Beasts and Elementals are the ones who really fundamentally changed what they were instead of just who they were. You could probably make a division that Beasts gave up being human and became something else in order to be cared for, then to escape, and Elementals gave up being human in order to survive and blend in. Beasts are initially about submission to the Keeper, being treated specially but having your humanity denied, then about just breaking and running. Elementals are about being shaped into something inanimate, becoming a part of the environment and neglected, then leaving when you've had enough. The most important difference to me seems to be the way a beast has a relationship with their keeper, even if it's a horrible one, and the elemental really did not.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Demon isn't the Matrix, it's getting drunk out of your mind while simultaneously watching every Miyazaki movie, dancing around a bonfire made of Le Carre novels, and firing guns into the air.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Demon is actually Looney Toons with robots, if you take a close, careful look at a lot of the embeds.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Obligatum VII posted:

Demon is actually Looney Toons with robots, if you take a close, careful look at a lot of the embeds.

Demon is The Mask, stanley ipkiss is just a really unconvincing Cover.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Error 404 posted:

Demon is The Mask, stanley ipkiss is just a really unconvincing Cover.

Yes, I can agree with this. Actually, I can't believe I didn't think of that comparison.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Yessod posted:

The way I see it, both beasts and elementals gave up their humanity to escape. Ogres fought and internalised anger, but Beasts and Elementals are the ones who really fundamentally changed what they were instead of just who they were. You could probably make a division that Beasts gave up being human and became something else in order to be cared for, then to escape, and Elementals gave up being human in order to survive and blend in. Beasts are initially about submission to the Keeper, being treated specially but having your humanity denied, then about just breaking and running. Elementals are about being shaped into something inanimate, becoming a part of the environment and neglected, then leaving when you've had enough. The most important difference to me seems to be the way a beast has a relationship with their keeper, even if it's a horrible one, and the elemental really did not.

You're actually very backwards about the way that, as written, the seemings work in C:tL. There is no agency in the human that is brought to to faerie lands; they do not 'give up', they are shaped by a being/place/spirit/object that is alien and all-encompassing in order to provide some necessary human element in their games.

In the corebook, Beasts are firstly defined as those that are denied any sense of long-range plans in exchange for a rush of immediate instinct. In comparison, Elementals lose all sense of humanity when they are altered to meet some structure needed by the Keeper, and are allowed to have a relationship- a favorite golfclub, let's say- but it just is not one that involves being a person.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
While I was bored at work earlier I started reading about Promethean. It sounds SO interesting and cool in a different what from what I'm used to with RPGs, so could I ask for a few "When we played it" stories?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

crime fighting hog posted:

While I was bored at work earlier I started reading about Promethean. It sounds SO interesting and cool in a different what from what I'm used to with RPGs, so could I ask for a few "When we played it" stories?

I played a Brazilian Tammuz who was somehow the groups center - where as our Frankenstein decided to eat the Azoth of his progenator, killed an angelic like being. Our first adventure had us go into Utah where we stop in this little town. There we meet a promethean who had no knowledge of who or what she really was, and in fact was lead into this strange life of creating what amounts to Pandoran animals cause she was lonely. We go into the mine where she first got the idea for those pandorans. Suffice to say, we end up accidentally blowing the place up and irradiating the area.

After that we meet a promethean who we believe was able to save themselves and we got forced into a strange mystery where children were being hypnotized by strange macabre things. We tried to stop them, but it ended up with three of them dying. Atleast we rescued the Redeemed's child.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Gerund posted:

You're actually very backwards about the way that, as written, the seemings work in C:tL. There is no agency in the human that is brought to to faerie lands; they do not 'give up', they are shaped by a being/place/spirit/object that is alien and all-encompassing in order to provide some necessary human element in their games.

In the corebook, Beasts are firstly defined as those that are denied any sense of long-range plans in exchange for a rush of immediate instinct. In comparison, Elementals lose all sense of humanity when they are altered to meet some structure needed by the Keeper, and are allowed to have a relationship- a favorite golfclub, let's say- but it just is not one that involves being a person.

Think you got he wrong end of the stick there, they were speculating about the new stuff that had been posted about changeling 2ed. That the kiths and seemings are getting seperated and that the seemings are now about character agency and are informed by how the changeling escaped.

I think we all understand the seemings in C:tL

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Nothing has been stated about a Seemings being anything more than a qualifier for contract affinity. The only thing that does seem clear is that the new edition is cribbing heavily from Lost Girl, where every character is a named myth-based 'fae specie' at the jump.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Dave Brookshaw posted:

This is - no joke - the book that finally tempted me to write for the cWoD.

No, seriously. I'm writing on it. It's gonna be awesome.

I'm torn, half of me still thinks the True Black Hand cannot be done well while the other half just read Dave Brookshaw of Mage Noir declare that he has decided the book will be awesome.

The Mage Noir side won thanks to New Wave Requiem support.

Pope Guilty posted:

Of course, UA's probably got the most quotable combat chapter ever.

I have yet to ever play a single game of UA but think I've referenced the combat chapter in a half dozen other games I've run because of just how well done it is. Looking back I seem to run games with violence/lethal/consequence that are Quentin Tarantino over-the-top or Unknown Armies' poo poo-gets-real.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Man, I loved the True Black Hand. Souleaters all the way, baby!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Man, I loved the True Black Hand. Souleaters all the way, baby!

I refuse to believe this is the result of anything other than someone daring you to make the True Black Hand awesome with the response, "Gauntlet has been thrown, Souleaters represent."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I will always maintain that Dirty Secrets was a decent book for a 90s game that wasn't Vampire.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The only good thing to come out of DSOTBH is Stygia nuking Enoch.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Gerund posted:

Nothing has been stated about a Seemings being anything more than a qualifier for contract affinity. The only thing that does seem clear is that the new edition is cribbing heavily from Lost Girl, where every character is a named myth-based 'fae specie' at the jump.

Actually, from the thread everyone's talking about :

That thread posted:

Kith is what happened to you. Seeming is your agency. It represents the moment you took control away from your victimizer.

Lost is a game about survivors. Seeming is one of a few ways we really emphasize the characters' agency and human spirit.

So yeah, they're kind of reversing how seeming works in 2E, or at least they are at the moment.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pope Guilty posted:

The only good thing to come out of DSOTBH is Stygia nuking Enoch.

"You have a ghost nuke?"
"One, several, let's not quibble with numbers."

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Goddammit, I'm trying to stat up a mage for an Awakening game and playing GMC/B&S has absolutely ruined my ability to chargen for nWoD. I'm sitting here with Int, Str, Dex and Presence 1 knowing that it doesn't fit my concept but every time I try to even it out I think of the scaling costs. drat the powergamer in me for making this difficult.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mors Rattus posted:

I will always maintain that Dirty Secrets was a decent book for a 90s game that wasn't Vampire.
It was the most 90s sourcebook, and also the most oWoD sourcebook, because it was about how no seriously, these guys are right about everything and they know all the real secrets, and while everyone else is trying to sit at the cool kids' lunch table they are all eating off-campus because THAT'S how loving raw they are.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
There's just nothing greater than having a thing, and then, later, down the line, revealing the existence and properties of the secretive and little-known true thing. It works for, like, any noun! Try it yourself!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The True Ferrinus stops and says "hey, you know what? maybe the numbers don't matter that much as long as I'm having fun with my friends," then has to retreat to the spirit realm before the extra-dimensional parasites infesting its mainline counterpart get the scent.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Pope Guilty posted:

Stygia nuking Enoch.

Go on...

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The True Ferrinus stops and says "hey, you know what? maybe the numbers don't matter that much as long as I'm having fun with my friends," then has to retreat to the spirit realm before the extra-dimensional parasites infesting its mainline counterpart get the scent.

I'm actually an adjective.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ferrinus posted:

I'm actually an adjective.

As in, "Stop being such a Ferrinus stick in the mud."

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
NWoD Chat from Gen-Con
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz43KFmHHlk

The Unfleshed are a proper Lineage now! All the old refinements are back, plus Phosphorus!

Beasts are pretty much anti-Hunters, also your enemy is Gaston. you can sorta be a dragon

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Sorta? Sorta? Pass.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Luminous Obscurity posted:

NWoD Chat from Gen-Con
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz43KFmHHlk

The Unfleshed are a proper Lineage now! All the old refinements are back, plus Phosphorus!

Beasts are pretty much anti-Hunters, also your enemy is Gaston. you can sorta be a dragon

Can I be a Jersey Devil, though?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

For that matter, has there ever been a game where you played as a proper dragon? Like, as a focus of the game?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Dammit Who? posted:

For that matter, has there ever been a game where you played as a proper dragon? Like, as a focus of the game?

The closest I know of is Fireborn.

On the talk about Best from the gencon talk, the powers based on knowing other supernaturals seems really interesting.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'm going to be honest: I'm glad you can't be a real dragon in Beast because if you could, and the dragon option was even remotely balanced against the others, it'd be unrealistic.

It's cool that Beast is going to somehow acknowledge the thematic territory it shares with like three or four other lines, though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dammit Who? posted:

Nothing WoD-official, but if you open yourself up to fan-games, well.

Edit: Also to summarize for anyone who won't listen to the whole thing, here's some more robust highlights:
Promethean:
All the existing lineages are in, plus Unfleshed and Ex Tempore.
All the past refinements (all of em) are going in, plus Phosphorus, which is about light/darkness/life/death. One of the sample setting cities will be Prague.
Beast: You can sorta-be-a-dragon, in that Beasts are based on the primal fears of mankind, so depending on what aspect of the dragon idea you're going for (the idea of something terrible coming and snatching you from the air/darkness, the idea of something devouring you in a single bite), you could cobble something together for that, but explicitly can't "turn into a dragon-dragon in the middle of Times Square." Also someone asked if you could make a Wendigo, and the immediate response was "I can already think of the Family [Beast splat group type] and Hunger [I'll explain] for that, so yes you could make a Wendigo."
Hunger is one of the defining things for Beasts, and it ties into your Integrity-analogue, "Satiety." Satiety is meant to seesaw up and down a lot (they call out that you should mark your rating on it with a token instead of coloring in dots), and is a double-edged sword---if your rating is high, your beast-soul-whatever might be happy, but it might also be harder to call up the kind of power that a penned-in, starving monster might have access to instead.
Antagonists, "Heroes," sound kinda like if Gaston thought he was a member of the Scooby gang; they think they're the protagonists of the story, but they aren't. Gave off a mild Tucker and Dale vs Evil vibe from how they told it.
Also one of the powers is meant to straight-up deal with crossover games: Kinship is the power to either enhance other supernaturals' abilities, or mimic theirs (the example given is, "if I'm friends with Saul the Nosferatu, maybe I can use a power based on what Nosferatu can do, or what vampires can do, or what Saul can do. Not sure how we're going to model that yet though, we're in first drafts right now.")
Then blah blah some minor stuff about Mages being investigators at the core of things and the title change, etc.

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 25, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I don't recognize the legitimacy of any fanmade games that aren't posted to BJ Zanzibar's World of Darkness, so this all works out well.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I decline to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't recognize the legitimacy of any fanmade games that aren't posted to BJ Zanzibar's World of Darkness.
Those were all hosted at the place I linked when BJ Zanzibar's World of Darkness went down. The dream is alive.

• Locked thread