Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Has Nissan had trouble moving GT-R's? As a closer corollary, does VW have trouble moving the Golf R? Why would a CTR be that much more difficult?

Scale differences. VW is a much smaller car manufacturer in the US so the sales of a niche market make up a much higher percentage of their total sales which justifies things more. Honda selling the same number of CTRs as VW sells Golf Rs would be a horrific disaster for Honda and not worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
VW did have a little bit of an effort selling the last MK6 R here. Even though it's a 50k+ car everywhere else, 30k+ for the same thing here in the U.S. is a hard thing for people to swallow when it isn't even an Audi or Mercedes or (premium brand). The GTI being 90% of the R with a lot less of the cost didn't help things either. Multiply that even more by a 30k+ Honda Civic and you can kinda see why Honda doesn't sell that sort of stuff here. Not to say they shouldn't but business is business.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Xguard86 posted:

I thought supercharges increased loss because it's using power to generate more power. Which, conceptually, I find really interesting.

Supercharger is irrelevant in that calculation. Drivetrain loss happens between the flywheel and the wheels; the power used to drive the blower is transmitted through the crank pulley, it never goes through the flywheel.

Basically when you think of parasitic losses for superchargers, just remember that if your blower takes 150 HP to run, and your target output is 800 crank HP, you need to build the engine internals for 950; same stresses as a turbo or nitrous motor making 950, but that 150 doesn't go to powering the car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Honda makes a Civic Si in the US, it's all they can economically do given that's the engine they use across the lineup and they don't have a 2 litre turbo engine that they can also throw into the Accord and CRV and everything else they make like Ford and VW does. the K-series engine is great, it's just not a turbo. While it is down on power compared to the turbo cars it gets better mileage, will almost certainly be more reliable, has a real LSD and still rings up for significantly less money. It's really not a bad choice at all, you just don't hear much about it on a board full of VW and Ford apologists. :v: The Civic's main problem right now is that it's ugly and the steering isn't great.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
The Civic line has also gone so far upmarket with amenities and gadgets, I can get a Focus ST for cheaper. At least in my area, none of the Honda dealers come down on SI prices at all. The fiesta ST claims better MPG, and is lighter.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Bajaha posted:

This article goes through the various reasons why that line of reasoning is flawed, and makes a good argument as to what actually goes into consideration when thinking of drivetrain losses. It's a pretty short article so it's worth the read.

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1005-drivetrain-power-loss/viewall.html

Heck yeah, that's awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Honda makes a Civic Si in the US, it's all they can economically do given that's the engine they use across the lineup and they don't have a 2 litre turbo engine that they can also throw into the Accord and CRV and everything else they make like Ford and VW does. the K-series engine is great, it's just not a turbo. While it is down on power compared to the turbo cars it gets better mileage, will almost certainly be more reliable, has a real LSD and still rings up for significantly less money. It's really not a bad choice at all, you just don't hear much about it on a board full of VW and Ford apologists. :v: The Civic's main problem right now is that it's ugly and the steering isn't great.

It's also kinda big for a 200hp K-series to feel like much fun. It's a great little engine but that horsepower figure would look far more interesting in a Fit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
VW had trouble moving the Mark 6 Golf R, yeah. You could get them with substantial money on the hood.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Honda really needs to up their game with the Si. As others have said, 205hp just isn't enough for that car anymore. Give it 250 goddamn horsepower, Honda. Also bring back the K20... It sang such sweet songs. Blah blah emissions standards blah blah.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Thanks to you, new car thread, I have placed a deposit on the completely absurd Polaris Slingshot. Delivery expected in mid October, just before my daughter is due to be born. I have yet to inform the woman of the house.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

eyebeem posted:

Thanks to you, new car thread, I have placed a deposit on the completely absurd Polaris Slingshot. Delivery expected in mid October, just before my daughter is due to be born. I have yet to inform the woman of the house.

RIP

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

eyebeem posted:

Rest in pizza.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

eyebeem posted:

Super jealous. Post pics immediately upon arrival.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

eyebeem posted:

I hope you enjoy sleeping on the couch

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

VERTiG0 posted:

Honda really needs to up their game with the Si. As others have said, 205hp just isn't enough for that car anymore. Give it 250 goddamn horsepower, Honda. Also bring back the K20... It sang such sweet songs. Blah blah emissions standards blah blah.

I will now apply all the arguments that say 200hp is fine for the Miata and Brz to this statement.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

I will now apply all the arguments that say 200hp is fine for the Miata and Brz to this statement.

250lb extra weight on the next heaviest car, and very near 500lb versus the lightest two. The Abarth and FiST are going to feel a hell of a lot quicker off the line with peak torque coming on so much sooner (and being higher), too.

I don't think it's a bad car, but with a relatively small amount of power for the weight, it's not really playing in the same class as any of the cars you'd typically consider competition. Kind of like the TSX, it's more of a sport sedan (or coupe) that's pretty light on sport compared to the rest of the market.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 21, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2015 ecoboost mustang is rated at 22/31 cty/hwy with a stick

sandbagging the v6 at 17/28 with a stick.

The ecoboost number is especially interesting, because it at 310hp/320ft/lb, it makes twice as much torque at peak, and likely 3 times as much at 3000rpm as these two fellows.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
But as a downside, is a Mustang

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Now imagine that engine in a Focus like the rumored Focus RS. :getin:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I hope the Ecoboost 4 becomes the next LS1 swap. I know my dad had an old Monza that would have been fantastic with inline 4 with 300 hp. V8's are tight fights in those. Or an AMC Spirit. Mustang II. Or poo poo a 240sx.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Coredump posted:

I hope the Ecoboost 4 becomes the next LS1 swap. I know my dad had an old Monza that would have been fantastic with inline 4 with 300 hp. V8's are tight fights in those. Or an AMC Spirit. Mustang II. Or poo poo a 240sx.

I don't think there's going to be anywhere near enough of them out there in a RWD configuration. As far as I know only the Mustang will be getting this 2.3 Ecoboost in RWD, the Lincoln MKC and Explorer get a FWD configuration.

I almost wonder if it could happily lug an F150 around, or if the 325hp / 375 ft-lb 2.7L Ecoboost in the F150 will be the future go-to swap engine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The big problem with that is a new 2.0 ecoboost crate is 8 grand, the same as a 5.0. The mustang only sells about 80,000 cars a year, and it's probably going to be a 20/30/50 split between the engines.

Right now for 3 grand you could get an SR20DET out of an S15 with the 6 speed still attached. In canada, for the 8 grand the 2.0 crate costs, you could get an entire S15 with 80,000kms. as far as junkyard parts go, you're going to be competing with the guys who blew up their stock engine trying for bragging rights on the dyno.

For high dollar restomods it could be a thing, but ford is pricing them out of the malaise era rescues.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't think there's going to be anywhere near enough of them out there in a RWD configuration. As far as I know only the Mustang will be getting this 2.3 Ecoboost in RWD, the Lincoln MKC and Explorer get a FWD configuration.
Never stopped anyone with the Zetec. They've been slapped in RWD stuff by people practically from launch, despite being a FWD engine.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Would the Ecoboost 4 even be that much smaller or lighter than a SBC?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

The big problem with that is a new 2.0 ecoboost crate is 8 grand, the same as a 5.0. The mustang only sells about 80,000 cars a year, and it's probably going to be a 20/30/50 split between the engines.

I don't know that crate engines are a good indication of what an engine costs. It looks like the Coyote is actually almost $1k cheaper list than this 2.3 ecoboost: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11829

I don't think people buy crate motors for the kind of half-junkyard project we're talking about. That's why I'm betting on the twin turbo F150 V6es getting shoved into stuff, because there are so many F150s sold and the old big ecoboost was already at a 60% take rate, I bet that now 80% of F150s will have one of the two twin-turbo blocks in 2015.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

Never stopped anyone with the Zetec. They've been slapped in RWD stuff by people practically from launch, despite being a FWD engine.

Or 4AGs. The most popular swaps into AE86s are the FWD versions of the engine it already has.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Or 4AGs. The most popular swaps into AE86s are the FWD versions of the engine it already has.

What does that do for power?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

What does that do for power?
Superchargers, 20v heads, stuff like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't think there's going to be anywhere near enough of them out there in a RWD configuration.

Fine, but the fact that RWD-friendly parts exist at all (like the oil pan and accessory drive) mean you can probably swap them onto FWD-sourced engines. That's what they're doing with the Crazy Horse Ecoboost foxbody; it's still close enough to the old MZR/Duratec that a RWD Ranger pan fits and clears everything.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Edward IV posted:

Now imagine that engine in a Focus like the rumored Focus RS. :getin:

Its nice to have dreams.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Its nice to have dreams.

Apparently, camouflaged prototypes have been seen wandering around in the US. AWD is off the table but it'll do 330 hp. :getin:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/rsd-to-kill-more-details-emerge-on-extra-hot-ford-focus-rs/

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Edward IV posted:

Apparently, camouflaged prototypes have been seen wandering around in the US. AWD is off the table but it'll do 330 hp. :getin:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/rsd-to-kill-more-details-emerge-on-extra-hot-ford-focus-rs/

A 330hp FWD car? Come on. At least give it that half-assed slip'n'grip bullshit.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edward IV posted:

330 hp to the front from the factory. Holy o'gently caress, and I thought the MS3 was dumb at 260-odd.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
An actual LSD would go a long way to taming the torque steer. Plus, MS3 owners have already proven turning left across three lanes by only using one pedal is a time saver on the morning commute.

Leaves your hands free for other things, like texting 911.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Phy posted:

330 hp to the front from the factory. Holy o'gently caress, and I thought the MS3 was dumb at 260-odd.

Why?

Because gently caress front tires, that's why.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
2015 Chevy Corvette Z06 priced at $78,995
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/22/chevy-corvette-z06-pricing-official/

quote:

Pricing starts at $78,995 for the coupe and $83,995 for the convertible. Both those figures include destination, but don't include things like tax, title, license and optional equipment. And as we revealed when the order guide surfaced, there is some enticing optional equipment on offer.

An extra $2,995 will get you the Carbon Fiber Ground Effects package with enhanced aero. $7,995 will get you the Z07 Performance Package with Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes, upgraded tires and even more aggressive aero.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Options bump that number up quite a bit, but still. drat. Corvette kicks rear end at half the price... Yet again.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Options bump that number up quite a bit, but still. drat. Corvette kicks rear end at half the price... Yet again.

The Z07 package that adds a bunch of stuff, including carbon ceramic brakes, is the same price as just carbon ceramic brakes from some other manufacturers. The options are a pretty good deal.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That price point makes it quite a bit more attractive to a brand/nameplate-insensitive buyer than say, a GT500... That's a hell of a lot of car for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

drat it. This may be what makes me sell the GT-R.