Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I missed that, when did it happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Genocyber posted:

I missed that, when did it happen?

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

VanSandman posted:

I don't get how you missed that they sold it. He explicitly stated losing all earthly attachments would let him motherfucking fly. His buddies acting all indignant as if it was a secret ability he hadn't told them about was great too.

Because he went from horrified and distraught to completely stone-faced. If I were writing it, I'd have him take some shallow breaths while struggling to compose himself, as he repeats "Let go of your earthly tether, enter the void" over and over. It shouldn't be easy to let go of P'Li, seconds after watching her die graphically, so we should see that it isn't easy.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm happy I was wrong regarding Tenzin. I guess everyone can point and laugh.

Hecka good finale though.

EDIT: Guess that could be considered a spoiler but I don't think anyone is gonna be in this thread til they watch it but WHATEVER.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 22, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wow. :stare:

That's really all I can say. What a fantastic finale. This season has had some of the best content not just in Korra, but within the entire run of the Avatar series.

Whoever storyboards/choreographs the fights really stepped up their game this season, and this episode showed it off brilliantly. That whole fight with Korra chained up vs Zaheer was incredible. I also like how her avatar state fight was a parallel to Aang's fight with Ozai. Same location, same two characters flying around, but whereas Ozai was explosive and violent and Aang was cold, precise and calculating in the avatar state, it was reversed here. Zaheer was flying around using careful attacks and movements, while Korra just went on a bending rampage and destroyed everything in her path. I love it.

And yeah, I teared up a little when Jinora took off her hood to reveal her tattoos. :3: The bending smoke into windchimes ritual was also a really cool idea. I also like how the season's idea of change has come full circle for Tenzin and the air nation as well: rather than trying to force it into what it was before, Tenzin is turning the air nation into something new, for the good of the world.

I'm hyped as gently caress for season four now, goddamn.

Edit: Also talking about the theme of change, that shot of the northern air temple crumbling to the ground surrounded by lava was not only thematically perfect, but drat striking. The place Tenzin was using to try to rebuild the old air nation, burned to the ground before his eyes. drat.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 22, 2014

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well hey, now Jinora can say she really did get to see an adaptation of that volcano love story from S1. :v:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So, to recap: Korra is in a wheelchair, Ba Sing Se is in total chaos, and The Red Lotus is still out there.

Book 4 can't come soon enough.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Well I think my avatar of the avatar pretty much predicts what's going to happen with Korra now.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.
Man, I was so worried the season would whiff it at the end. But they absolutely found their stride this season by focusing on super solid characters and thinking through their arcs beginning to end, and it led to an incredible finale. Plus the action design for these last two episodes was loving incredible. My favorite Avatar season previously was (obviously) ATLA season 2, but this might have surpassed it in consistency. I'll definitely have to think about it!

Also, more Korra and Asami friendship in season 4 please. It was super gratifying to the have the boys work off each other as brothers, and the girls work off each other as mutually respecting friends. Asami isn't super developed, but her girlfriend moments with Korra were pretty awesome this season.

EDIT: Korra kicking rear end while CHAINED UP though. That was awesome.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I've grown to tolerate Bolin's jokes more, but I was pretty miffed at the put-a-sock-in-it thing at the end. I'm not a fan of spending the last scene humiliating villains who have been dignified threats throughout the series -- and I know they did that with Fire Lord Ozai, but I thought Ozai was boring anyway so it didn't bother me as much.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wildeyes posted:

I've grown to tolerate Bolin's jokes more, but I was pretty miffed at the put-a-sock-in-it thing at the end. I'm not a fan of spending the last scene humiliating villains who have been dignified threats throughout the series -- and I know they did that with Fire Lord Ozai, but I thought Ozai was boring anyway so it didn't bother me as much.

I hear what you're saying, but it didn't really bug me. Zaheer was essentially a mentor/guru character who was a villain, and outside of his airbending his main power came from his words and beliefs. Zaheer being gagged was him metaphorically losing the last of his power.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Well that was a nice apology for Season 2. Possibly the best pair of episodes they've done since this whole thing started.

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
With the return of Airbenders, does Season 4 mean the return of probending?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I bet they feature it a little, just to bring everything full circle.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

After giving up on Korra after last year's crazy bullshit, I caved in and watched this season on the advice of people telling me it was akin to the best parts of ATLA in terms of quality and wow

Much better writing. Bolin's poorly-timed random monkeycheese poo poo aside, the characters were all likeable this time. even Mako. And we got Zuko! and Lin's way-cooler sister who lives in a bitchin metal city! and interesting villains! and a finale that wasn't a deus ex machina!

Speaking of the finale, it was nice to see the good guys take their kid gloves off. I know it's been said but Suyin's tactic for dealing with P'li was just completely stone cold. Same for Mako's dispatching of Ming-Hua and avatar state Korra losing her poo poo against flying Zaheer.

Anyway, seems like Korra is traumatized now, which even for a character as strong-willed as her is refreshingly realistic. This is the third time in about a year that Korra and her loved ones have had their lives threatened by someone because she's the Avatar. That's bad enough, but compared to Ozai and the Fire Nation's efforts against Aang, Korra's foes have seemed more violent and personal. Amon bloodbent her and removed (most of) her bending. Her uncle betrayed her family and tribe, and then fused with avatar-satan and basically started destroying pieces of her soul. Zaheer appeared to kill her father and then chained her up and poisoned her just so he could end the Avatar cycle for good. All these grown men just being insanely brutal to a teenage girl because of who she is and telling her she has no place in the world, and now she's sitting helpless in a wheelchair having just narrowly avoided death.

It makes sense for her to be real hosed up right about now instead of "yay we beat the bad guys again everything's good and normal now :)" and hopefully they'll keep handling her psychological state and recovery in a graceful and realistic way since tons of kids and teenagers with e/n poo poo of their own are watching.

And as long as I'm making wishes for Book 4 can we please visit the new Fire Nation and Honora now?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
That was some amazing stuff. Wow. Yeah, it really does make up for season 2 and while not a "WORLD THREAT OF THE END OF ALL THINGS!" as season 2 built up, this was even more dire and the build up really carried what the stakes were.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Can I also say the music during the action scenes was amazing, that actually made me even more engrossed listening in the episodes.

Also I know everyone here is thinking Air Nation becoming the Justice League/Batmen, but for me the first thing that popped in my head was MSF from Metal Gear and I suddenly pictured Snake/Big Boss as an airbender with him talking in Metal Gear dialogue for everything

Also I think Varrick has a solution to Korra's problem if its permanent:

:getin:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Korrasami people are going nuts now. I mean that scene almost had to be intentional. "If you want to talk... or anything" as Asami holds Korra's hand after dressing her. I know I'm a pervert who sees innuendo everywhere, but that's got to be intentional.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I like how in the middle of the tenseness with Korra's negotiations with Zaheer in the beginning of the episode, we got a scene of Naga and Bolin's pet loving around.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rosalind posted:

Korrasami people are going nuts now. I mean that scene almost had to be intentional. "If you want to talk... or anything" as Asami holds Korra's hand after dressing her. I know I'm a pervert who sees innuendo everywhere, but that's got to be intentional.

Without getting into it, yeah I seriously feel like that was a wink to the fandom.

I feel like they are gonna bring back the korra/mako romance plot in season 4, since it was very briefly hinted at in the first half before they all went on their separate ways.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like the red herring they had with Bolin learning to metalbend, and instead gave him lavabending. There are enough metal benders in the main cast that if Bolin learned he'd be "just another metalbender", whereas now he gets something unique and visually dynamic.

Also that shot where Mako drops down into the cave, lights a small flame and turns around to see Cthulhu Ming Hua lurking in the darkness was perfect.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Air Lantern Corps. Hah. That's a fun as heck idea.

That was a really good finale. I'd put this season of Korra, start to finish, right up there with any of the seasons of ATLA.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I like how in the middle of the tenseness with Korra's negotiations with Zaheer in the beginning of the episode, we got a scene of Naga and Bolin's pet loving around.

The pacing in the finale was really good.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Oh yeah, that was absolutely intentional.

Since romance was absent from Korra's life in this season, I'm kind of curious where they're going to go with it in season 4. I really don't think they'll just leave her aromantic -- just going by their history -- even if that's what most of us would prefer. Had they known there would be multiple seasons, I doubt they would have ended season 1 with Korra and Mako hooking up. Nobody wants to read about or watch an established relationship. But now they're pretty much obligated to write something that will please (some of) the shippers.

With the little awkward hugging scenes, are they trying to imply Korra and Mako have matured and could eventually rekindle? Are they going to set Korra up with a new dude?

I know people don't want to talk about this poo poo, but brace yourselves, because it's on its way.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 22, 2014

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
In an effort to strike lighting twice, the writers will try to recreate the Katara/Aang love story by shipping Korra/Kai :getin:

Great final episodes; the only thing I'm worried about for season 4 is that the villains might seem like chumps compared to the Anti-Aang gang. The writers really hit it out of the park with them.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Wildeyes posted:

Oh yeah, that was absolutely intentional.

Since romance was absent from Korra's life in this season, I'm kind of curious where they're going to go with it in season 4. I really don't think they'll just leave her aromantic -- just going by their history -- even if that's what most of us would prefer. Had they known there would be multiple seasons, I doubt they would have ended season 1 with Korra and Mako hooking up. Nobody wants to read about or watch an established relationship. But now they're pretty much obligated to write something that will please (some of) the shippers.

With the little awkward hugging scenes, are they trying to imply Korra and Mako have matured and could eventually rekindle? Are they going to set Korra up with a new dude?

I know people don't want to talk about this poo poo, but brace yourselves, because it's on its way.

Honestly, Korra and Asami as besties for life is more interesting to me than who Korra wants to bang.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rosalind posted:

No it wasn't you loving weirdo. The stilted pause was to convey the awkwardness of trying to comfort a depressed and enfeebled person.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

drat that was a great finale. Really looking forward to S4.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

No it wasn't you loving weirdo.

To be fair, I do sexual health research for a living. I see sex, innuendo, and attraction everywhere now. I do really just want to see a children's cartoon character have a same sex relationship. I think society is ready. I know realistically that it's not actually a thing that is going to happen.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Scrree posted:

In an effort to strike lighting twice, the writers will try to recreate the Katara/Aang love story by shipping Korra/Kai :getin:

Great final episodes; the only thing I'm worried about for season 4 is that the villains might seem like chumps compared to the Anti-Aang gang. The writers really hit it out of the park with them.

The villains made the season excellent honestly. They weren't invincible or had some plan that only worked because the protagonists were stupid. They were constantly adapting to failures or changes and every one of their fights highlighted them working better as a team than as an individual. Their goals didn't seem stupid like Unalaqs plan to become the "Dark Avatar" ( this was really dumb and still is) and it also helped that they had alot of humanizing moments like with Bolin in the truck.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Over/unders on how many episodes it takes for Korra to go from wheelchair to blackbelt in Book 4? My money is on 2 or less.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I still kind of wish I knew how Raava worked. Tricking the Avatar into Avatar state made sense when we just thought it was an instinct, but knowing that the its the extension of a sentient being, it makes me wonder why Raava doesn't just say, "Nope, not happening," and thats that.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This might have been mentioned already, but man the music in the finale is absolutely incredible. The final scene in particular just floors me with the beautiful score. :cry:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rosalind posted:

To be fair, I do sexual health research for a living. I see sex, innuendo, and attraction everywhere now. I do really just want to see a children's cartoon character have a same sex relationship. I think society is ready. I know realistically that it's not actually a thing that is going to happen.

If you told me Seychelle Gabriel were deliberately playing Asami with romantic undertones in scenes with Korra, I'd believe you, but I don't think it would make sense for the characters for that to be reflected literally in the writing. They've been characterized deeply enough for long enough that there's no need to throw in some unrequited attraction in order to make their dynamic interesting, since the reasons and ways they care about each other are already very well-established.

Asami's definitely due for some drama, largely because her life revolves around Korra's ever since Hiroshi's arrest, and that's not going to be any less of a factor now that Korra's wheelchair-bound for the time being. But that's a strong dynamic in its own right, which that might be strengthened if underscored by suggestions that it's like romance, but not by actually making that into text. Just one man's dumb opinion, anyway.

Wow, though, that finale was something else. I mean, of course the "ultimate airbending technique" or whatever would be flight.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Also I like how Jinora looks almost just like Aang during her anointment

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Also I like how Jinora looks almost just like Aang during her anointment

Well, she is his granddaughter.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I like how P'li's head loving exploded.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I loved how they did Zaheer flying. Have the "camera" fly with him. Beautiful.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I loved the final fight. But uh...

Is it wrong if I kind of wish Tenzin or Tonraq had died INSTEAD of what we got? :ohdear:

Not that I don't like the characters. I just mean that the ending we got was even bleaker. "Congratulations! You saved the world! And all you had to do was get mercury poisoning, cripple yourself, give yourself PTSD and slowly waste away while everyone around you just coos how you're looking good even though you went from a strong and capable Avatar to someone who feels like a burden!"

It just feels like the ending of season 1, only without the "Oh by the way give everyone bending back" ending. That is to say, loving dark.

Still loved it.
But goddrat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That was pretty drat; The only things I didn't like:
- Bolin should have pinned down his opponent 1 on 1, Mako can still help him go for the desperation move but Bolin earned it.
- The way Zaheer gained flight totally reflects TLA s2's finale and LoK's "lowest point, biggest change" but they could have given it just a few extra seconds.
- At least show an explosion on that death, this was an awkward cut.

• Locked thread