Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Luigi Thirty posted:

Nah, that's played out. The plains Indians should be like the Byzantines with higher technology, different titles for everything than the eastern countries, and tier 6 walls somewhere.

It should be Cascadia that's the Byzantium analog. Large and powerful, with an organized religion centered around the water, mountains, and forests, with some grand old cities (Say, Victoria as the capital, Oak Harbor, and Bellingham) and with great fortifications along the Rockies and a few highly prestigious but constantly threatened colonies in Montana and Alberta for farming and herding bison and suchlike.

Those provinces are under constant threat, so governors of places like Gallatin Valley have considerable resources in order to protect them. Success in defense carries prestige, and combined with their existing strength, you end up with a lot of dukes out there with their sights set on the crown and the means to press their claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fall Sick And Die, clean out your mailbox.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since Alaska is off the edge of the map, they should be another horde :v:.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
If the map ever gets that far, Mt. Rushmore should totally be a holy site for something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

e; ^ Should be the Holy Site for the Americanists or whoever it is worships Presidents.

GSD posted:

Since Alaska is off the edge of the map, they should be another horde :v:.

"Rumors are filtering down of a great warlord gathering armies in the cold North. These warriors paint their faces with the colors of the old American flag, use guns as talismans, and name themselves after their leader. The citizens of Victoria fear these Palinites might soon ravage southwards in an assault in civilization!"

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Glass Vegas, the extremely warlike but short lived inhabitants of a glowing green glass valley. They'll do anything to get out of there and lose their irradiated trait!

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

What about the AI?

I missed that it was the AI that had done it. Still, it seems like that would be very hard to implement fairly for the AI because humans release kingdoms for nicer borders, or because they don't want the hassle of dealing with a distant holding surrounded by enemies. Not sure how the AI would come to that decision.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Maddenism?

The Maddeness

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Disillusionist posted:

I missed that it was the AI that had done it. Still, it seems like that would be very hard to implement fairly for the AI because humans release kingdoms for nicer borders, or because they don't want the hassle of dealing with a distant holding surrounded by enemies. Not sure how the AI would come to that decision.

Well the AI would be forced to pick one at random, based on stats and relationship. The human would be given a list of relatives to pick from before they were allowed to unpause.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some chunk of Canada should follow the prophet Mooses.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

GSD posted:

Some chunk of Canada should follow the prophet Mooses.

And his religion the Iss Hock?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

How does this even happen? :psyduck:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Starting as a small muslim ruler is difficult. I always seem to get one entity that's larger than me attacking me no matter the disposition. Is there a better way to handle this other than swearing fealty to someone strong like the Caliph?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Okay, how in god's name do I stop the big purple blob? I've been playing as Duke of Pereyaslavl in the old gods start and it's now ~1150. Hungary just got crusaded into the ground by all of western Europe, and the Byzantines have been eating my land with holy wars on truce cooldown (I used to have all of Wallachia - but not anymore!). I'm right on the border between both flavors of Christianity and my reformed Tengri bretheren to the east, but it's absolutely impossible to stop the Byzantines militarily and stabbing them is both difficult and accomplishes little except resetting their truce timers.

I think that I'm screwed unless I somehow figure out how to convert before getting holy warred into oblivion.

Also, Spain has gone batshit insane with inheritance this game:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SkySteak posted:

If it's anything like how I did it?

Step one: Marry a close relative of the reigning king.

Step two: Wait until you have at least two sons.

Step three: Assassinate the reigning king if it'll lead to a regency.

Step four: Press your wife's claim.

Step five: Help her put down the inevitable revolts.

Step six: Designate one of your sons your heir.

Step seven: Die.

Step eight: Make sure your mother dies somehow if she hasn't already.

Step nine: Press your claim against your brother.

Step ten: Put down the inevitable revolts.

And you're done! For the AI to do it, though, probably pretty impressive luck that led to the same result minus assassinations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

When are we going to get a Dev Diary for the new CKII DLC? We've already gotten one for EUIV's.

Asking again since EUIV just got its second Dev Diary.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, that was fun.

Rest of the world officially has No Chance in Hell.

EDIT: Oh, right, feedback.

As far as I can tell, the core you've got set up is pretty much rock solid. It crashed a few times and had some bugs happen, but they were all crashes and bugs I experience in vanilla, so that's not on the mod. Otherwise, I noticed no problems beyond one holding in one of the provinces I hold (can't remember) starting with a lower case letter, but at that point I'm really reaching.

That, and putting one of the Americanist holy sites in St. Louis might not be one of the wisest ideas, considering it's across the map and holding it as an Americanist nation is pretty much not going to happen beyond a WC. Is there a reason it's a holy site?

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 22, 2014

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
The McMahon dynasty?? :vince:

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Smoremaster posted:

The McMahon dynasty?? :vince:

Really should be based out of Stamford, CT.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

SkySteak posted:

Same thing happened in one of my recent games as well (with no interference from me). Italy was also briefly a Theocracy when a deposed king (who had since become Prince-Bishop of Agen) reclaimed the throne.

Also, ERE has been blobbing up in my recent 867 starts. Seems to have gotten worse since the 2.1.6 patch.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

TheMcD posted:

Well, that was fun.

Rest of the world officially has No Chance in Hell.

EDIT: Oh, right, feedback.

As far as I can tell, the core you've got set up is pretty much rock solid. It crashed a few times and had some bugs happen, but they were all crashes and bugs I experience in vanilla, so that's not on the mod. Otherwise, I noticed no problems beyond one holding in one of the provinces I hold (can't remember) starting with a lower case letter, but at that point I'm really reaching.

That, and putting one of the Americanist holy sites in St. Louis might not be one of the wisest ideas, considering it's across the map and holding it as an Americanist nation is pretty much not going to happen beyond a WC. Is there a reason it's a holy site?

It was in St. Louis because every religion needs to have 5 holy sites or the religion tab will CTD. In the dev version it's been moved to Boston.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If the Sanders dynasty doesn't rule Kentucky :argh:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
In one of the new patches is there a huge malus to the opinion bonus you get from sending people gifts if you're in a regency? Old ruler died, leaving a 7 year old on the throne, and unless a character was greedy the most positive opinion I'd get from gifting was 5-6 points, going up to about 30 for greedy characters. Bug or working as intended?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

El Pollo Blanco posted:

In one of the new patches is there a huge malus to the opinion bonus you get from sending people gifts if you're in a regency? Old ruler died, leaving a 7 year old on the throne, and unless a character was greedy the most positive opinion I'd get from gifting was 5-6 points, going up to about 30 for greedy characters. Bug or working as intended?

Check your DIP score, gift bonuses are related to that.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Yeah, the child king had 11 in personal diplomacy, going up to about 20 something for state diplo, and I've had plenty of adult rulers who have worse diplomacy than that who get decent positive opinions from sending gifts? It's never happened to me before, but I haven't played the game in a few months.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Yeah, the child king had 11 in personal diplomacy, going up to about 20 something for state diplo, and I've had plenty of adult rulers who have worse diplomacy than that who get decent positive opinions from sending gifts? It's never happened to me before, but I haven't played the game in a few months.

Yeah, but does your regent have a decent DIP? I think his score counts.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, but does your regent have a decent DIP? I think his score counts.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

All your stats are based on your regent's ability. So bonuses from bribes and how big your demesne can be during the regency are down to whoever you end up with and not you.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Hi, I just got this game and I just started playing, I was wondering if there's an alternate way to zoom in/out on the map since my scroll wheel is currently broken?

Edit: Never mind, found a button for it.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 23, 2014

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Sam. posted:

It was in St. Louis because every religion needs to have 5 holy sites or the religion tab will CTD. In the dev version it's been moved to Boston.

Also on this mod, are there any chances that a few Islamic dynasties can be added? I know that Islam is a tiny religion in America today (something like 1.2% of the population), but if I'm mistaken, there a few areas of the country where there's some very large communities ( I think around Detroit is one). Emirates would be cool to see post-apocalypse, just sayin'.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Also on this mod, are there any chances that a few Islamic dynasties can be added? I know that Islam is a tiny religion in America today (something like 1.2% of the population), but if I'm mistaken, there a few areas of the country where there's some very large communities ( I think around Detroit is one). Emirates would be cool to see post-apocalypse, just sayin'.

Dearborn is 40% Arab-American or thereabouts, but that includes Chaldeans and Syriacs and the like, so the Arab Muslim population is smaller. I'm also reluctant to add in Islam because single-province religions get steamrolled.

Noveller
Jul 2, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Dearborn is 40% Arab-American or thereabouts, but that includes Chaldeans and Syriacs and the like, so the Arab Muslim population is smaller. I'm also reluctant to add in Islam because single-province religions get steamrolled.

You could have them be a vassal of the republic of Detroit, or even a patrician family.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Noveller posted:

You could have them be a vassal of the republic of Detroit, or even a patrician family.

Yeah cause that'll last.

Noveller
Jul 2, 2012
Sometimes it's not about what the ai does, but what the player does :colbert:

Also, Hopeless starts are kind of a thing in Paradox games :colbert:

Noveller fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 23, 2014

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Maybe there could be another horde from the east, but this time it's jihadis following trough on an ancient promise. As long as it's not in really poor taste to make all the muslims be extremists.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Wow, the Byzantine Empire surrendered a holy war at 27% warscore.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
In After the End, how does one declare wars to settle personal claims set up by Chancellors? I've currently got a female ruler (if it matters) and I've got the claim, pissing off the current holder, but I can't declare war on him.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Apparently the best hunter in the land is an 11-year-old boy. Either the kid's a prodigy or England's hunters really suck.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Bishop Rodan posted:

Apparently the best hunter in the land is an 11-year-old boy. Either the kid's a prodigy or England's hunters really suck.

Alternatively, the king dotes a little too much on his son.

"Look! My son threw a rock and hit the wall! Such incredible manual dexterity! Isn't he just the finest warrior you've ever seen?"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Can you marry your concubine as reformed Norse? I'd rather get the state bonuses from this chick's stats, but I'll need to kill/divorce my wife first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Parallax Scroll posted:

Can you marry your concubine as reformed Norse? I'd rather get the state bonuses from this chick's stats, but I'll need to kill/divorce my wife first.

Yes, you can marry your concubine, as long as you're not already married, of course.

• Locked thread