Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

The problem is that Ubi flat out said they aren't supporting it, which means that it's not only Assassin's Creed that gets dropped, it's ZombiU 2 and any other projects that their team of developers could create (including the long rumored Beyond Good and Evil 2).

A lack of choice isn't good for Ubi, Nintendo or us as the consumers. Activision/EA have not said that they have given up support, but they showed no games at E3 for the Wii U and confirmed that Mass Effect 4 and Mirror's Edge 2 (come on, how well would the gamepad work with that) will not be coming to the Wii U.

When Ubi confirms that they will not support Wii U, and EA/Activision all but confirms dropping Wii U by showing 0 games at E3 for it, we not only lose Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and NHL '15, we lose all of the other games that are actually good.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630783

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm having trouble coming up with a good EA or Activision game. Ubisoft I will grant you.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

greatn posted:

I'm having trouble coming up with a good EA or Activision game. Ubisoft I will grant you.

tonky hawk pro skater

edit haha tony hawk not tonky honk

as for EA, dead space for the most part

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hm Wii U trouble finances charts warchest Iwata approval rate shareholders iphone mobile Mario on xbox *pauses to pick nose*

Good talk lets repeat this in 3 months

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Since Activision is now also Blizzard I have to admit that Hearthstone would be kind of cool on the Wii U, but not in any way that makes it a loss that it will never be on the system.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

enojy posted:

tonky hawk pro skater

edit haha tony hawk not tonky honk

as for EA, dead space for the most part

I'd be down for a Honky Tonk Pro Skater.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Wii U is a good console and it's also a bummer that some popular games won't be released on it. There's a middle ground dudes, leaping to defend every single thing is desperate and weird.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

I liked Mirror's Edge, and I think it could definitely use the Gamepad's extra screen and Gyro sensors in a cool way. Mass Effect was also good, but I can understand why people wouldn't care about the 4th.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'll admit it, I play the NHL games. I'm a huge hockey fan and I like to get drunk with my friends and play our fave teams.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I played the first FIFA they released on the Wii U and I have to admit they did some pretty cool stuff with the gamepad. You could aim your goal shots on it and stuff.

I'm not one for the EA sports games, though. I miss the old arcadey sports games like NHL Hitz/NFL Blitz etc.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

This made my day. That game already has tons of character and charm.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

I'll admit it, I play the NHL games.

Jsor posted:

I played the first FIFA they released on the Wii U and I have to admit they did some pretty cool stuff with the gamepad.

This is a little weird to me. You shouldn't have to "admit" that you had fun with and enjoyed a video game. Even if it causes elf help book to foam at the mouth.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I'm pretty sure everything causes Elf Help Book to foam at the mouth, just certain things somewhat moreso

Kaubocks posted:

Man I'm so glad this game is happening. Sometimes I feel like the only person who loved Canvas Curse. :shobon:
Nintendo's E3 presentation was basically everything I wanted and more. I remembered thinking to myself, "Man, they could totally do an HD game in the style of Canvas Curse with the Wii U! But they won't do that." And then they did.

I would also like to second that JordanKai's av is mega cute.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'd be down for a Honky Tonk Pro Skater.

gently caress you. I read that up there and was hoping nobody made this joke yet. I would also be down for this.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
All you Nintendo profit analysis naysayers and buzzkills out there need to take into account that Nintendo is rich.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/07/nintendo-financial-results-worse-than-expected-on-slumped-wii-u-sales.aspx

quote:

Nintendo’s operating income also fell short. In January, the company shifted from ¥100 billion ($981.6 million) positive result to a warning of a ¥35 billion ($343 million) shortfall. The actual result was an even bigger shortfall of ¥46.4 billion ($455.7 million).

Net income was slightly up on the back of favorable exchange rates. Nintendo predicted a loss of ¥25 billion ($245.4 million) and ended with ¥23.22 billion in losses ($227.9 million).

This brings Nintendo’s total operating losses to ¥120.16 billion ($1.18 billion) for the last three years combined. Nintendo is projecting positive operations of ¥40 billion ($392.7 million) for the current fiscal year.

Blah blah blah

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

quote:

Here's the exact quote taken from a feature in the latest issue of the UK's Nintendo Gamer magazine: "Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank - enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052. Then there's almost 469 billion Yen (£3.8/$6.0 billion) held in premises, equipment and investments. When that runs out - we're in the year 2075 by this point - they've got some of the most valuable intellectual property in gaming to sell off before the company goes out of business."

Taking all of those exciting numbers into account, even if the worse case scenario happens and assuming Nintendo continues to release, on average, three new Mario games a year - we've still got... 189 new Mario games ahead of us. Also, there's a pretty good chance that we'll get another F-Zero at some point within that timeframe.

Matt Cundy says we'll be ok.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just realized no EA means no NBA Jam if they ever decide to make another.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just ordered the $200 refurbished WiiU bundle! Time to price hunt for some used games. I want to get DK Tropical Freeze and Mario 3D World. The gf wants me to also get Mari Kart and Wind Waker HD. Anything else worth getting?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Since it sounds like you'd be able to have two players with some degree of regularity, I would personally recommend Pikmin 3 and possibly Nintendo Land.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Red Suit posted:

I just ordered the $200 refurbished WiiU bundle! Time to price hunt for some used games. I want to get DK Tropical Freeze and Mario 3D World. The gf wants me to also get Mari Kart and Wind Waker HD. Anything else worth getting?
Ultigonio spent 3 months making the first post in this thread and you didn't even read it :smith:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't know guys I'm really bummed I can't play Call of Duty on my Wii U. I guess I'll just have to settle for Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi Yarn, Xenoblade X and a new Zelda eventually.

What a lovely console I have purchased. Maybe I should trade it in for an Xbox One so I can shoot mans.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

I don't know guys I'm really bummed I can't play Call of Duty on my Wii U. I guess I'll just have to settle for Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Yoshi Yarn, Xenoblade X and a new Zelda eventually.

What a lovely console I have purchased. Maybe I should trade it in for an Xbox One so I can shoot mans.

Because that's EXACTLY what I said. No hyperbole here, nope.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Alright, so there have been a few things bothering me recently, and I want to know if I'm the only one who feels this way.

First up is Mario Kart 8. I really like this game, but the graphics just feel... off. I don't really know how else to describe it. They just feel offputting when compared to the other Wii U games I've played. It's not ugly or anything, and it runs well, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

On a similar note, Donkey Kong Country Returns. The art style in that game feels "dirty", for lack of a better term, whereas pretty much every other Nintendo game I've played felt "clean". Like with Mario Kart, the graphics aren't bad at all. It's just something about how the characters and backgrounds look that gets to me. Weirdly enough, I don't notice any of that "dirtiness" in Tropical Freeze.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just insane. I've heard some people talk about the first one, but nobody else mention the second.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

katkillad2 posted:

And someone could very easily counter this post with poo poo like Sunset Overdrive, the Master Chief collection, K1 Season 2 and Scalebound. :shrug:

What I'm trying to say is, stop being such defensive babies about your preferred console, this isn't a dick waving contest over who in their mind has the best games, just play whatever the gently caress you want.

The stuff Nintendo is going through is a direct result of them treating 3rd parties like crap for years, this stuff has been boiling since the N64, it just happened to explode now because the Wii U didn't catch on, BUT, who gives a poo poo? We're still getting awesome stuff, so what if the Wii U bombs, so what if its a failure, we still got good games out of it.

Even the Jaguar had a few noteworthy titles.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Silver Striker posted:

First up is Mario Kart 8. I really like this game, but the graphics just feel... off. I don't really know how else to describe it. They just feel offputting when compared to the other Wii U games I've played. It's not ugly or anything, and it runs well, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

It feels a little "plasticy", but I actually like it. Out of the games I've played so far on Wii U, Mario Kart 8 is my favorite graphics-wise (although I expect that to change when I start playing Pikmin 3).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Alteisen posted:

Even the Jaguar had a few noteworthy titles.

No fun ones though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Wendell posted:

No fun ones though.

Look at this dum-dum who didn't play AvP

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

And someone could very easily counter this post with poo poo like Sunset Overdrive, the Master Chief collection, K1 Season 2 and Scalebound. :shrug:

Nice av

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the Wii U makes an excellent secondary console - which is pretty similar to the ways Gamecube and Wii also functioned. I'm too hooked into too many franchises to completely give up all the EA/Ubisoft games that may or may not come to Nintendo's home field. But I also receognize that the Wii U has a stupid amount of really fun exclusives, and is the undisputed king of local multiplayer.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Wendell posted:

No fun ones though.

Defender 2000, Tempest 2000, and Brutal Sports Football are all fun.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alteisen posted:

But Nintendo makes good games though

I mean maybe the Platinum game will be good but we already have multiple Platinum games on Wii U

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Alteisen posted:

Wow you're right, hard countered here.

Fremry posted:

Activision not releasing it's biggest game of the year on the Wii U does not bode well for Nintendo's financial future.

I don't know what other reaction people expect except who gives a poo poo. If I posted in the PS4/Xbone thread about how they aren't getting the next Zelda I'm sure many angry/sarcastic posts about how nobody gives a poo poo would follow.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
So when is the Wii U gonna get a port of Guild Wars 2?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hey guys I know you already know about the Wii U not doing well but did you know

that the Wii U isn't doing well :eyepop:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

katkillad2 posted:

I don't know what other reaction people expect except who gives a poo poo. If I posted in the PS4/Xbone thread about how they aren't getting the next Zelda I'm sure many angry/sarcastic posts about how nobody gives a poo poo would follow.

Except that Zelda isn't a multiplatform game and it's expected that consoles will lose sales to exclusives by default.

But the fact remains that Nintendo is a better company with the support than without.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hey guys I know you already know about the Wii U not doing well but did you know

that the Wii U isn't doing well :eyepop:

Please quote some numbers you don't know are true and don't understand. Maybe we can turn this ship around. Maybe we can come up with a new name for the console?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

elf help book posted:

Please quote some numbers you don't know are true and don't understand. Maybe we can turn this ship around. Maybe we can come up with a new name for the console?

I have come up with several names after researching what people would want to buy only because of the name:

- Super Wii
- Wii 2
- Nintendo Revolution
- Ultra 64
- Xbox 420
- Playstation Not Vita
- Netflix Cable Box

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think the Wii U makes an excellent secondary console - which is pretty similar to the ways Gamecube and Wii also functioned. I'm too hooked into too many franchises to completely give up all the EA/Ubisoft games that may or may not come to Nintendo's home field. But I also receognize that the Wii U has a stupid amount of really fun exclusives, and is the undisputed king of local multiplayer.

The Wii U is a pretty good secondary console to the 3DS.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

The Good Games Machine?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Wii U Discussion - Don't Discuss the Wii U here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
They should have called the Wii-U the Nintendo 7 (N7) so that it could Shepard in a massive new era of gaming to some effect.

• Locked thread