Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Slugworth posted:

What exactly do you mean by an in-continuity reset? Like, the gauntlet allows for them to do a reboot like any other property has done, but it is canon? Or do you mean resetting the team with different superheroes in the same continuity?

I think the latter would be awesome. Phase 1 avengers all die, but get replaced by all the newest additions to the MCU.

Of course, that's a pipe dream, because eventually they would want to use those characters again, my immersion be damned.

I'm assuming he means like someone uses the Gauntlet (for 'reasons') to alter time to before the first Iron Man movie.

Then yadda yadda, butterfly effect things happen differently (and that Tony Stark doesn't look like Robert Downey Jr), again for 'reasons'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Zombie Boat posted:

My Gf is a friend of a friend of Batista's gf. Supposedly he was so excited when he got the part that he cried. He seems like a pretty down to earth guy and it's weird that people here in Tampa still don't recognize him.

Dude was awesome in it, esp trying to compete with Chris Pratt. I'm glad it worked out so well for him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

aBagorn posted:

I'm assuming he means like someone uses the Gauntlet (for 'reasons') to alter time to before the first Iron Man movie.

Then yadda yadda, butterfly effect things happen differently (and that Tony Stark doesn't look like Robert Downey Jr), again for 'reasons'

Marvel has already said that they will just recast and move on like they did with Hulk. Kevin Feige explicitly ruled out rebooting the franchise every time a new actor is added.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

He hasn't gone back. And I would say yes, it is both. But he doesn't seem to be sad about leaving earth. He didn't really have anything there.
You're not basing this on anything. We're never told he hasn't been back to Earth. What's powering that Walkman? Where'd he get the old hi-fi system?

These things don't mean he's been back, but we're never told whether he has or not.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The guy who couldn't even bring himself to open his mom's present wouldn't have gone back to the planet that he got abducted from the night that she died. We don't need to be explicitly told it, it's clear in the way the character was written.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Do they explain in the comics where Quill gets his knowledge of Earth from? Where would he read about the outlaws and such?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Being born on Earth? Every piece of trivia he cites is something he would've known at the time he was abducted.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Yeah, he was eight or nine, and it would have made sense for him to have watched a lot of TV if his mom had cancer and his dad was a space monster.

Wow, that sentence was way sadder than it was in my head.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Hugh Jackman's physique becomes more terrifying with each new xmen film.

I'm actually not sure about Hugh Jackman. Whenever I see him in a new xmen film I think he's on something, then I remember that it's been a couple years since I've seen him and he could have legitimately put on 15-25 lbs of muscle the natural way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I really wish superhero movies would treat recasting like Bond movies instead of rebooting the whole franchise.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

NovemberMike posted:

I'm actually not sure about Hugh Jackman. Whenever I see him in a new xmen film I think he's on something, then I remember that it's been a couple years since I've seen him and he could have legitimately put on 15-25 lbs of muscle the natural way.

I think part of what makes him look so roided out is what he does before he has a shirtless scene. On days where he is going to be shirtless he doesn't drink any water so his skin is tighter and his veins bulge out more, and he exercises immediately before the scenes so that his muscles stand out even more.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I really wish superhero movies would treat recasting like Bond movies instead of rebooting the whole franchise.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Spacebump posted:

I hear you. I genuinely don't understand that when fans talk about the future of the Marvel franchise, they always default to reboot, without even considering simply recasting people, despite the fact that Marvel has actually done just that before.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

You're not basing this on anything. We're never told he hasn't been back to Earth. What's powering that Walkman?

James Gunn specifically told people to shut the gently caress up about this in a Q&A saying that in a universe where you can have space ships, artificial gravity, etc. he's pretty sure they could figure out a way to power a loving walkman.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
"Reboot" is shorthand to the moviegoing public for "we know the last movie about this superhero sucked, have confidence in us we're going to do it great this time."

It's different then just recasting Iron Man for Iron Man 4, since you don't really need to "reboot" at that point because Iron Man 3 was a commercial and critical success.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

TheJoker138 posted:

James Gunn specifically told people to shut the gently caress up about this in a Q&A saying that in a universe where you can have space ships, artificial gravity, etc. he's pretty sure they could figure out a way to power a loving walkman.

A walkman isn't complicated tech. The real question is the tape itself.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Criticism: the info dump at the Nova police department in the beginning of the movie was unartful and jarring. I know what it was and what it was supposed to do, but could have been better. Grizzled police chief reads dossier is a time honored trope, man, it demands reverence.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

...or, for that matter:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

euphronius posted:

Criticism: the info dump at the Nova police department in the beginning of the movie was unartful and jarring. I know what it was and what it was supposed to do, but could have been better. Grizzled police chief reads dossier is a time honored trope, man, it demands reverence.

James Gunn said that wasn't even originally supposed to be in the movie. It was filmed specifically for Comicon last year and after the positive reception was put in the trailers and ads and then he felt like after that some of it kind of needed to be in the film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mikeraskol posted:

"Reboot" is shorthand to the moviegoing public for "we know the last movie about this superhero sucked, have confidence in us we're going to do it great this time."

It's different then just recasting Iron Man for Iron Man 4, since you don't really need to "reboot" at that point because Iron Man 3 was a commercial and critical success.

At a certain point (at least pre-Avengers) it's not a bad idea to reboot stuff. Like even if Spiderman 3 wasn't that terrible it had gotten kind of long in the tooth and The Amazing Spiderman was a more interesting (if still flawed) take.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
One thing that comic books never need to explain is a change of artist.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Deadpool posted:

James Gunn said that wasn't even originally supposed to be in the movie. It was filmed specifically for Comicon last year and after the positive reception was put in the trailers and ads and then he felt like after that some of it kind of needed to be in the film.

That explains a lot, like Drax being in the lineup and John C Reilly saying they call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy but neither happening in the movie.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

"thats my secret, I'm always angry" would be such a great Ed Norton line and its a shame it never hit the screen.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Would've been fun to see him banter with RDJ too (like when Tony prods him with the shock thing) but Ruffalo did those bits swimmingly as well.

Given what people say about Norton's proclivity toward rewriting scripts I wonder if/how Avengers would've turned out differently with him hanging around.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Has anyone written down where the IMAX version shifts aspect ratios? I didn't notice it happening my first time through (which I guess is a good thing), but I kind of want to see when/why it changes. Google isn't helping.

**Never mind, I sat far enough back this time that I could look for the shifts without missing half the movie. It happens surprisingly often, I thought it was a scene-by-scene thing but it was more frequent than that, maybe every 10-15s at the fastest, a minute or more at the slowest. It didn't cling to any particular rules beyond "would this help the composition," so it's definitely better, but not a thing you'd consciously notice or want to goon out about.

Another nice detail: When the guardians first land in Knowhere and are moving through the crowd, people heading in the opposite direction don't get out of Rocket's way.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 21, 2014

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I'd give GoTG a 4/5. Great camaraderie between the team and some incredible environment design, but I felt the villian/s really dragged the quality of the film down, same as in The Avengers and IM3.

I just hate the way Marvel designs them; tacky aesthetics that look like a 12 year old did the art and juvenile "kill everything" dialogue. It became so fatiguing with everyone constantly talking about killing. Just nothing inventive about it whatsoever, really bland and uninteresting.

I was also disappointed by how hollow and unsatisfying the actual action felt compared to The Winter Soldier, which had far superior directing and weight to it I thought.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Deadpool posted:

The Bendis Guardians run is a lot of fun and actually falls in line with the movie pretty well. If you liked the movie you'll probably like the comic. If you're the whiny comic book fan that bemoans everything Bendis writes because of "ARGH MY CONTINUITY!!!" then you probably just don't like fun stuff anyway.

Comic chat:
The Bendis problem for a lot of readers is he actually has three, maybe four characters total, and then just copy/pastes them plus or minus 10% at most into every series, setting & scene. His Kitty Pryde is interchangeable with his X-23, and X-23 is interchangeable with his Gamora, and his Peter Quill is interchangeable with his <insert witty protaganist here>. It gets tiring.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to meet the person that hates Chris Pratt, so I can tell them how wrong they are.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/chris-pratt-dresses-star-lord-childrens-hospital

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I wish him the best if he continues to use his power for good.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Yeah, he was eight or nine, and it would have made sense for him to have watched a lot of TV if his mom had cancer and his dad was a space monster.

I think one thing is that Quill was lucky enough to be abducted with a bookbag full of stuff, too, that can have whatever bit of Earth pop culture stuff and textbook knowledge in it from that era to further inform him on things as he grew up.

I had sort of wished he'd mixed up Dirty Dancing with Footloose, though, just to show how off his memory of things really were. GotG2 could be him embarrassed over the fact, "I've been describing the wrong movie to people for years!? God, I'm an idiot!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"We are not like Kevin Bacon." ~Drax the Destroyer, Guardians of the Galaxy II

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It just sort of struck me that Quill would probably acclimate best upon a return to Earth by watching Family Guy episodes, he'd get all the references.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think one thing is that Quill was lucky enough to be abducted with a bookbag full of stuff, too, that can have whatever bit of Earth pop culture stuff and textbook knowledge in it from that era to further inform him on things as he grew up.

I had sort of wished he'd mixed up Dirty Dancing with Footloose, though, just to show how off his memory of things really were. GotG2 could be him embarrassed over the fact, "I've been describing the wrong movie to people for years!? God, I'm an idiot!"

It's funny that you say that, in the theater I was like "no Quill you dork, that's Patrick Swayze." and then a couple of seconds later "Oh, no. Wait. Never mind."

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Finally got to see GoTG, loved it. I'd rank it as the best film in the MCU so far (well, in terms on entertainment value. Winter Soldier might be better depending on how it holds up in a year or so).

Loved the atmosphere and the interaction between the team. Sure, the villain was one dimensional (at best even), but the rest of the cast made up for that shortcoming by being awesome. Everyone except Karen Gillian that is... every time she attempted to snarl at the underlings it just seemed like she had no idea how it was supposed to sound.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Finally saw it, and... wasn't wowed, to be honest. It was OK, but not anywhere near as good for me as most of the prior Marvel movie offerings. Certainly not as good as Winter Soldier or the Avengers, etc etc.

The villains were completely hollow, and the action was good, but a little... impactless, somehow. And the ensemble fell together a bit too easily, and started trusting each other a bit too quickly to feel quite real to me.

It really felt like it could have been boiled down into a 20 minute pre-credit reel for GotG2. It felt like a lot of extra gumf to basically provide enough exposition to set up 'infinity gems (oh hey tesseract, how are ya), Thanos, the Collector, Guardians of the Galaxy, maybe Nova Corps, GotG Will Return'.

Also, does NO-ONE in space have IFF? The amount of times people were shooting at the other team with their own high-tech guns, which by any sensible high-tech gun designs should have just gone 'click' (or exploded, depending on how vicious the programming is...) really bugged me. Irrational, yes, but nonetheless.

I think party this boils down to me never really having much exposure to Marvel's greater Universe except on the occasions where it impacted X-Men plotlines. I don't have much a priori connection to the characters so it took a lot more to win me over.

Nonetheless the laughs made me laugh, the sads made me sad, the action made me happy, so I'd give it a solid 3.5/5.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

thespaceinvader posted:

And the ensemble fell together a bit too easily, and started trusting each other a bit too quickly to feel quite real to me.

They should have tried to murder each other in the woods.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I prefer when people put the numerical score at the beginning so that I can know they don't think about movies the way I think about movies right off the bat.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

thespaceinvader posted:

The villains were completely hollow, and the action was good, but a little... impactless, somehow.

And yet you liked Avengers?

quote:

And the ensemble fell together a bit too easily, and started trusting each other a bit too quickly to feel quite real to me.

And...yet you liked Avengers?

quote:

Also, does NO-ONE in space have IFF?

Most people in space have to fight Cthulhu possessed versions of their friends or robot armies that assimilate everyone practically every loving Thursday, programming more ways to turn your weapons off is stupid. The poo poo shoots, every single time. You get in the way you die. We'll pour a space 40 out for blue on blue dead homies and call it a day.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

It really felt like it could have been boiled down into a 20 minute pre-credit reel for GotG2. It felt like a lot of extra gumf to basically provide enough exposition to set up 'infinity gems (oh hey tesseract, how are ya), Thanos, the Collector, Guardians of the Galaxy, maybe Nova Corps, GotG Will Return'.

Exposition to set up the team in their own movie? You don't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

psyman posted:

I'd give GoTG a 4/5. Great camaraderie between the team and some incredible environment design, but I felt the villian/s really dragged the quality of the film down, same as in The Avengers and IM3.

I just hate the way Marvel designs them; tacky aesthetics that look like a 12 year old did the art and juvenile "kill everything" dialogue. It became so fatiguing with everyone constantly talking about killing. Just nothing inventive about it whatsoever, really bland and uninteresting.

I was also disappointed by how hollow and unsatisfying the actual action felt compared to The Winter Soldier, which had far superior directing and weight to it I thought.

I think that's actually a pretty fair assessment. I felt like the heroes carried the movie and made it awesome, because the main villain was just "angry blue dude who wanted to kill everything." The team-building aspect of the movie was what was good, the actual conflict was rather mediocre (if visually impressive).

• Locked thread