Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

HKR posted:

We closed! We have the keys in our hand. Somehow this is more scary than actually going through the purchasing process.

Welcome to Hell.

My A/C went out over the weekend, thankfully only a couple hundred bucks to refill the refrigerant and put some stop-leak in there. I think I'm the only house in the neighborhood that hasn't had to replace the A/C unit yet, so if this gets me through another year or two I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Loan guy just called and everything is good to go for closing! Close next Thursday and take possession on Saturday. Saturday is my birthday too. It would be a shame if I was sick and couldn't make it to work.

Just need to get all of the utilities switched over and I'm set.

edit: gas company needs a deposit over a disputed bill from 12 loving years ago. :wtc:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 22, 2014

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Welcome to Hell.

My A/C went out over the weekend, thankfully only a couple hundred bucks to refill the refrigerant and put some stop-leak in there. I think I'm the only house in the neighborhood that hasn't had to replace the A/C unit yet, so if this gets me through another year or two I'll be happy.

Ha, you have A/C :smug:

It's so hot in my house

:negative:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

a shameful boehner posted:

Ha, you have A/C :smug:

It's so hot in my house

:negative:

Going to be a humid 97 today in North Carolina. We can't live without it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo...so they will do the radon mitigation, but will only give us $200 for a new fridge.

The fridge is old and all, but goddam. Is it normal for the warranty to only pay ACV for broken appliances? We asked for $1000 for a new fridge, and they came back saying the warranty is going to pay only $200. Is that normal?

But hey, radon mitigation, yay!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Jastiger posted:

poo poo...so they will do the radon mitigation, but will only give us $200 for a new fridge.

The fridge is old and all, but goddam. Is it normal for the warranty to only pay ACV for broken appliances? We asked for $1000 for a new fridge, and they came back saying the warranty is going to pay only $200. Is that normal?

But hey, radon mitigation, yay!

Who gives a poo poo about a fridge? The radon could kill you.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Mine supposedly covers replacement cost. But... you haven't closed yet, have you? What does the warranty even matter?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zhentar posted:

Mine supposedly covers replacement cost. But... you haven't closed yet, have you? What does the warranty even matter?

Its actually being talked about now. Our realtor noticed that they were trying to make a warranty claim through the realty company, which it looks like, only does ACV, not Replacement cost. So we're contesting that.

I am ready to just take the thing because as the poster above said, radon is worse. But....the offer INCLUDED a working fridge so they have to provide one to us. I'm waiting to hear back on the results from this.

daggerdragon posted:

It was part of the original offer. We're not going to take the cost of a new fridge if we can help it. We already have to get a new dryer for the gas lines.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

daggerdragon posted:

So can spoiled food. Refrigerators aren't just a frivolous luxury.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
In my recent house shopping experiences I'm seeing a really dumb trend of people having bible verses or motivational crap painted in script on their walls. Not that I couldn't quickly paint over it by why not just have it painted on a board or something you could take with you?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

daggerdragon posted:

The radon in the house I bought is high. Radon mitigation probably isn't even in my top 10 things to do at the moment. I'm not super worried about it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Its actually being talked about now. Our realtor noticed that they were trying to make a warranty claim through the realty company, which it looks like, only does ACV, not Replacement cost. So we're contesting that.

I am ready to just take the thing because as the poster above said, radon is worse. But....the offer INCLUDED a working fridge so they have to provide one to us. I'm waiting to hear back on the results from this.

It was part of the original offer. We're not going to take the cost of a new fridge if we can help it. We already have to get a new dryer for the gas lines.

If the offer included a working fridge and you fight them over $200 for the fridge, they are going to go buy a $200 fridge for you. Unless your offer specified a brand new fridge then $200 is completely reasonable because it's what a used fridge costs, and if the fridge that was in the house before wasn't broken, it'd probably be a $200 fridge anyway.

Seriously just take the two hundred bucks and be happy. If they'd demanded $1000 more for the house, would you have walked away?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Keyser S0ze posted:

In my recent house shopping experiences I'm seeing a really dumb trend of people having bible verses or motivational crap painted in script on their walls. Not that I couldn't quickly paint over it by why not just have it painted on a board or something you could take with you?

A lot of those are just stickers with a light adhesive. That's easier for you, as a buyer, to reverse than a nail hole.

If it's actually paint, they owned the house when they did it.

"I want to be able to paint walls without consulting a landlord" frequently comes up as a reason people want to buy a house, however silly that may be. Deal with it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

If the offer included a working fridge and you fight them over $200 for the fridge, they are going to go buy a $200 fridge for you. Unless your offer specified a brand new fridge then $200 is completely reasonable because it's what a used fridge costs, and if the fridge that was in the house before wasn't broken, it'd probably be a $200 fridge anyway.

Seriously just take the two hundred bucks and be happy. If they'd demanded $1000 more for the house, would you have walked away?

Oh no we are totally not trying to hold their balls on the $200. No way, we want a check no matter how much its going to be. We do NOT want them to get a fridge without our say so. We just want to make sure we're doing it right. If they are going to promise $200 from the warranty and that isn't valid, then we need them to do it right. We'd LIKE $1000 but I'd be willing to settle for half that just to get this done. The radon is the big one, which they've agreed to.

As for the price on the house, actually yes. It was our final offer when we gave it to them after two back and forth rounds.

At this point I Just want a check for the fridge lol.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

A lot of those are just stickers with a light adhesive. That's easier for you, as a buyer, to reverse than a nail hole.

If it's actually paint, they owned the house when they did it.

"I want to be able to paint walls without consulting a landlord" frequently comes up as a reason people want to buy a house, however silly that may be. Deal with it.

Well being that most agents tell you to hide all your family pictures, hide your guns and swords and copy of Mein Kampf and Nazi flags and other personal poo poo before you get pics taken I thought it was strange seeing walls with "OUR SWEET BABY JEEEBUS Ezekiel 23.17" on it. If they are mostly just "stickers" you can scrape off then why not do it before the listing pics?

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 22, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fknlo posted:

The radon in the house I bought is high. Radon mitigation probably isn't even in my top 10 things to do at the moment. I'm not super worried about it.

Radon can directly kill you :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

Well being that most agents tell you to hide all your family pictures, hide your guns and swords and copy of Mein Kampf and Nazi flags and other personal poo poo before you get pics taken I thought it was strange seeing walls with "OUR SWEET BABY JEEEBUS Ezekiel 23.17" on it. If they are mostly just "stickers" you can scrape off then why not do it before the listing pics?

You know exactly why not.

The mere suggestion to the homeowners that any buyer might not be overjoyed to have a big visual reminder of JESUS is offensive to them. The idea non-christians might buy their house is abhorrent. We live in a CHRISTIAN NATION SIR!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

Radon can directly kill you :(
Maybe. Radon kills perhaps 3000 non-smokers per year. Sure, it's 3000 people who didn't necessarily have to die, but it's not nearly as likely to kill you as walking across the street is. Further, if you don't spend a significant amount of time in your basement, it's probably not even worth considering.

edit: Looked up actual numbers, roughly 6000 people died in a pedestrian accident in 2010, compared to roughly 3000 non-smokers who died from lung cancer which was attributable to radon.

adorai fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 23, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

adorai posted:

Maybe. Radon kills perhaps 3000 non-smokers per year. Sure, it's 3000 people who didn't necessarily have to die, but it's not nearly as likely to kill you as walking across the street is. Further, if you don't spend a significant amount of time in your basement, it's probably not even worth considering.

Its a tri-level home where the base-basement will be used for storage and will likely see a lot of traffic.

Also where do you live where walking across the street is likely to kill you?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

Also where do you live where walking across the street is likely to kill you?
See my edit above. It's not that you are actually likely to die in a pedestrian accident, it's just that you are very unlikely to die from lung cancer from radon exposure.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
A place where cars drive on the streets. According to the NHTSA, "4,280 pedestrians died in traffic crashes in 2010". I'd actually put that at nearly as likely, though.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

adorai posted:

See my edit above. It's not that you are actually likely to die in a pedestrian accident, it's just that you are very unlikely to die from lung cancer from radon exposure.

You can't make this comparison. The # of people exposed to radon vs the # of people who walk across the street/are a pedestrian at least once a year are very different.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

You can't make this comparison. The # of people exposed to radon vs the # of people who walk across the street/are a pedestrian at least once a year are very different.
I would bet that man hours of radon exposure in America does compare to hours of pedestrian transport. Think about how many houses were built before radon wasn't even considered. People sleep in those basements. They watch football and play games in those basements. Radon exposure is really only something that should concern smokers, as it is ten times more likely cause cancer in them.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jesus. Do you not look both ways before crossing a street because you think it's unlikely you'll get hit because of statistics? No, you loving look both ways, even if you think the street is almost undoubtedly empty. The radon thing is a fixable thing - don't just ignore it because it's unlikely to kill you. Do the "look both ways" thing and just get a mitigation system.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
The tri level I bought doesn't have a basement. I opted to forego the radon testing (especially since there are no bedrooms downstairs and multiple windows), so if I end up developing lung cancer I'll report back!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

Jesus. Do you not look both ways before crossing a street because you think it's unlikely you'll get hit because of statistics? No, you loving look both ways, even if you think the street is almost undoubtedly empty. The radon thing is a fixable thing - don't just ignore it because it's unlikely to kill you. Do the "look both ways" thing and just get a mitigation system.
You should probably also only travel by dump truck, otherwise someone in an SUV could kill you.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't do the radon mitigation system, I'm just giving him actual facts rather than the fearmongering you generally see on these topics. If he is not going to be spending much time in his basement, radon exposure is very unlikely to kill him even if he does not have a mitigation system.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

a shameful boehner posted:

The tri level I bought doesn't have a basement. I opted to forego the radon testing (especially since there are no bedrooms downstairs and multiple windows), so if I end up developing lung cancer I'll report back!

If you decide to sell, the next buyers may not forgo a Radon test, and will squeeze you for a lower a purchase price.

Do we have a thread for landlords? I have 20 units, and I need advice on management software. I have LandLordMax, but it's standalone, not subscription. I want a way to mail my tenants those envelopes telling them how much they owe, and that they can drop their rent checks into. Otherwise I spend all week driving around, trying to meet them on their schedules.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

particle409 posted:

If you decide to sell, the next buyers may not forgo a Radon test, and will squeeze you for a lower a purchase price.

Do we have a thread for landlords? I have 20 units, and I need advice on management software. I have LandLordMax, but it's standalone, not subscription. I want a way to mail my tenants those envelopes telling them how much they owe, and that they can drop their rent checks into. Otherwise I spend all week driving around, trying to meet them on their schedules.

Yep. We have one http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548312

Why are you driving around doing paper checks and mailing paper statements. Though I guess that's why you're asking for a solution. Sparkrent is what I use and it allows tenants to do automatic payments and it emails them on whatever day you request with the amount they owe and when. They can pay rent online like a bill. Sparkrent charges you $1 per transaction, but I think its well worth it.

There's another solution that's a fixed fee per month that is only like 50 cents a transaction and it integrates your P&L and all that poo poo into it as well. I will go back into my notes and look it up. The fee is around $50 a month and until I have 50 units, sparkrent is still the best solution for me because I like to keep my own books.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 23, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

adorai posted:

You should probably also only travel by dump truck, otherwise someone in an SUV could kill you.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't do the radon mitigation system, I'm just giving him actual facts rather than the fearmongering you generally see on these topics. If he is not going to be spending much time in his basement, radon exposure is very unlikely to kill him even if he does not have a mitigation system.

Not a dump truck, but I did pay attention to the safety rating when I bought the car. As far as the radon goes, it's worth the $850 is my point. It's an easily avoidable hazard, and who the gently caress wants cancer?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

shortspecialbus posted:

Not a dump truck, but I did pay attention to the safety rating when I bought the car. As far as the radon goes, it's worth the $850 is my point. It's an easily avoidable hazard, and who the gently caress wants cancer?
It depends on the level obviously, but unless you're sleeping below grade for decades in a house with high levels of radon, you're not going to get lung cancer from radon exposure.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

It depends on the level obviously, but unless you're sleeping below grade for decades in a house with high levels of radon, you're not going to get lung cancer from radon exposure.

Or if you are a smoker.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

adorai posted:

Or if you are a smoker.
If you're a smoker, you're also more likely to get cancer from your next cigarette than someone who's never smoked smoking their first cig.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
House Buying Megathread > Radon is dangerous C/D?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

adorai posted:

Those statistics don't really prove your point; pedestrians and cars are everywhere, in every city, whereas most people don't live in a home with high levels of radon.

The risk actually is low, but the way in which you're explaining that is terrible

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 23, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry for causing massive Radon derail...though I guess it IS on topic.

I'm getting the mitigation and banning my family from ever crossing the street. It'll be a hard life, but a safe one. A good life.

Hopefully this satisfies all posters.

We're just waiting to hear how they will handle the fridge since their warranty was going to pay for parts to fix the fridge, and they were going to pass that $200 parts check on to us. However, per the report we saw at the house, the fridge is beyond repair.....so the warranty won't give them a check for parts that are useless. So it looks like they will have to give us a check out of their pocket for a new fridge. I hope they just give us a few hundred and be done with it. They were super hard ball on the sale negotiations and now they gotta shell out money for the radon. Fingers crossed!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

You know exactly why not.

The mere suggestion to the homeowners that any buyer might not be overjoyed to have a big visual reminder of JESUS is offensive to them. The idea non-christians might buy their house is abhorrent. We live in a CHRISTIAN NATION SIR!

You won't be surprised to know these places were all out east of Sacramento, CA in super conservative Placer County - Roseville aka "Corporate Megachurch every 3 blocks."

I'm still looking down in the Arden/Carmichael area of Sacramento though, but so far the only offer I put in on anything I got seriously trolled by a broker on a sweet nicely upgraded reasonably priced house. It really smelled like he took my already over list offer, sat on it, then came back with a higher counter, which I matched, and then an hour later comes back and says "sold to cash buyer" who he probably had on the side the entire time. This was way more bullshit than I expected for Sacramento but apparently it's too close to the Bay Area or something.

I can't wait to waste money and time on a house again.......especially since I'm about to move into an apt for 90 days that has my favorite flat white walls, plastic counters and circa 1992 appliances. I hope there is radon too.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 23, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jastiger posted:

Sorry for causing massive Radon derail...though I guess it IS on topic.

I'm getting the mitigation and banning my family from ever crossing the street. It'll be a hard life, but a safe one. A good life.

Hopefully this satisfies all posters.

We're just waiting to hear how they will handle the fridge since their warranty was going to pay for parts to fix the fridge, and they were going to pass that $200 parts check on to us. However, per the report we saw at the house, the fridge is beyond repair.....so the warranty won't give them a check for parts that are useless. So it looks like they will have to give us a check out of their pocket for a new fridge. I hope they just give us a few hundred and be done with it. They were super hard ball on the sale negotiations and now they gotta shell out money for the radon. Fingers crossed!

I think that the "legal" way is for them to claim that the check is for "parts" and to give you enough money for a working used fridge, which is about $200

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm still looking down in the Arden/Carmichael area of Sacramento though, but so far the only offer I put in on anything I got seriously trolled by a broker on a sweet nicely upgraded reasonably priced house. It really smelled like he took my already over list offer, sat on it, then came back with a higher counter, which I matched, and then an hour later comes back and says "sold to cash buyer" who he probably had on the side the entire time. This was way more bullshit than I expected for Sacramento but apparently it's too close to the Bay Area or something.

That's bullshit and unethical and if that broker pulls that kind of poo poo a lot, he's going to get a very bad reputation among his peers. It's understood that when a seller makes a counteroffer, your acceptance of the counteroffer means they're selling the house to you. Otherwise it's not an "offer."

On the other hand if the broker was unethical in that way, maybe they were unethical in other ways and the deal would have exploded in your face somehow regardless, so better you didn't wind up in contract with them eh?

Also yeah Placer County might as well be Texas.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jastiger posted:

are you sure you're ready to own a home? why the gently caress do you even care about a refrigerator? you're buying the home, not the loving fridge. a new fridge costs like $400-900 at most. that is a drop in the goddamn bucket, hardly even worth batting an eye at compared to most home-ownership type expenses.

the house I bought was in almost perfect shape for its age when I bought it late May. I've put $12-15k into it just in random poo poo that needed to be done since I bought it. I fully expect that would be normal in almost anyone's case. there have been massive moving costs, repairing fixtures we missed in the inspection, redoing the crawl space vapor barrier, pest control + termite bond, yardwork, mitigating a minor mold problem that wasn't evident when we bought, installing some extra lighting, tools and poo poo we never needed in a condo, paying for solid waste, some extra insurance crap we weren't expecting, informal neighborhood association we felt obligated to join, blowing some extra insulation into our attic, buying furniture we didn't have but was sorely needed, window dressings, rugs, bathroom poo poo for a bathroom we didn't have before, security system, fixing some HVAC problems, taking care of insane first month water/power bills due to previous owner miscommunications, replacing filters, repainting some rooms, the list goes on and on.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mindphlux posted:

are you sure you're ready to own a home? why the gently caress do you even care about a refrigerator? you're buying the home, not the loving fridge. a new fridge costs like $400-900 at most. that is a drop in the goddamn bucket, hardly even worth batting an eye at compared to most home-ownership type expenses.

the house I bought was in almost perfect shape for its age when I bought it late May. I've put $12-15k into it just in random poo poo that needed to be done since I bought it. I fully expect that would be normal in almost anyone's case. there have been massive moving costs, repairing fixtures we missed in the inspection, redoing the crawl space vapor barrier, pest control + termite bond, yardwork, mitigating a minor mold problem that wasn't evident when we bought, installing some extra lighting, tools and poo poo we never needed in a condo, paying for solid waste, some extra insurance crap we weren't expecting, informal neighborhood association we felt obligated to join, blowing some extra insulation into our attic, buying furniture we didn't have but was sorely needed, window dressings, rugs, bathroom poo poo for a bathroom we didn't have before, security system, fixing some HVAC problems, taking care of insane first month water/power bills due to previous owner miscommunications, replacing filters, repainting some rooms, the list goes on and on.

Yes, because of the second paragraph. I'd rather spend money on the emergency poo poo than have to worry about paying for a new unexpected REQUIRED repairs instead of on a new fridge that was part of the original purchase agreement.

A drop in the bucket is different when you have to pay cash for it RIGHT NOW (can't really live in a house without a fridge, sorry, mang) vs being able to hold off on new insulation or getting the termite guy out in a few weeks.