Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Senjuro posted:

If anyone is planning on upgrading their GPU for this game (I know I am) then it would probably be wise to wait a bit more because the Nvidia Geforce 800 series should be out before the end of the year, maybe even as soon as next month.

The last time I upgraded my GPU it was for the Witcher 2. I think the Witcher 3 is a worthy game to upgrade for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Doesn't one of the newer Geforce models come with Witcher 3 for free?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There was a rumor about GeForce GTX 770, 780, and Titan, but Nvidia spokesperson said it isn't planned.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
I want to stay loyal to ATI...

Interestingly, my GPU can run Witcher 2 v1.00 fine, but then lag/stutter badly after it was updated to post 2.0+ version.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Leb posted:

Regarding mouse lag, have you tried forcing triple buffering via D3DOverrider? That seemed to almost completely resolve the issue on my end.

Thanks this really helped, its not completely gone but its minimal enough that its not a big problem.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

So the dude who made the CGI vids for Witcher 1 and 2 is going to make a Witcher movie.

http://www.thenews.pl/1/11/Artykul/179542,New-Witcher-movie-in-pipeline

Unknown yet about what format it'll take, but if it's CGI that'd be awesome.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So the dude who made the CGI vids for Witcher 1 and 2 is going to make a Witcher movie.

http://www.thenews.pl/1/11/Artykul/179542,New-Witcher-movie-in-pipeline

Unknown yet about what format it'll take, but if it's CGI that'd be awesome.

Speaking of adaptations, is the TV series any good?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

GrossMurpel posted:

Not really, but they have a low-budget appeal. The poles pretty much ridicule them, but a lot of the apparently terrible acting isn't as bad if you can't understand the language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi4x8EOMHRM

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

GrossMurpel posted:

Considering what it is, and that it doesn't have Hollywood effects/costumes/props, it's not bad. Dandelion is great, even if he doesn't look a thing like the game character. It would have been considerably better if it had stuck to the general themes/plots of the stories. It takes liberties with the stories when it shouldn't.

However, it does do some things quite well. If you know about horses, you've heard of 'airs above the ground', movements used in battle to keep the rider out of harm's way. There's a training section in one of the shows where Geralt deals with a mounted fighter. It's one of the few times I've ever seen anyone use the methods correctly in combat.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
So, I messed around with Witcher 1 for a bit, but never really played it. I installed 2 near release and also never played it. I finally sat down and played 2 and was a bit worried I'd miss something by skipping one, but loved the intro and got fully caught up in it. This game is a blast! I had no idea it had such depth and amazing scenes, some of the battles are down right crazy in scope. A bit of the dialog drags here or there, but I can click past it and read what I need to. Overall, I'm really enjoying this game and can't believe I waiting this long to play it. I'm hoping to beat it and move on to 3. Is there a lot of replay in 2 aside from playing "good/bad" choices?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Depending on how you play the last bit of the first act the entire second act is different and it's easily a third of the game.

I also tired on the first Witcher (at the swamp, you'd never have guessed) and ended up finishing it because I wanted a save to import into TW2 for a second playthrough. Importing changes almost nothing though.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 25, 2014

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AxeManiac posted:

So, I messed around with Witcher 1 for a bit, but never really played it. I installed 2 near release and also never played it. I finally sat down and played 2 and was a bit worried I'd miss something by skipping one, but loved the intro and got fully caught up in it. This game is a blast! I had no idea it had such depth and amazing scenes, some of the battles are down right crazy in scope. A bit of the dialog drags here or there, but I can click past it and read what I need to. Overall, I'm really enjoying this game and can't believe I waiting this long to play it. I'm hoping to beat it and move on to 3. Is there a lot of replay in 2 aside from playing "good/bad" choices?

You won't even fully understand what's going on in the story with a single playthrough, so yeah...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

AxeManiac posted:

Depending on the choice you make during the Act 1 quest At A Crossroads, you end up on differing sides of the conflict you've seen in Act 2. About 85% of the content is unique to that version of Act 2 (the monster killing quests are the same, as well as a few others).

Act 3 has some slight differences to it, but it funnels into generally the same ending. As mentioned, it's absolutely worth it to experience both versions of Act 2 to truly understand everything that was going on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The thing I like about the Witcher series is that "good/bad choices" don't exist. The choices are mostly about choosing who to help (and always failing to help the other option(s)), and/or seeing different perspectives of the story.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lycus posted:

The thing I like about the Witcher series is that "good/bad choices" don't exist. The choices are mostly about choosing who to help (and always failing to help the other option(s)), and/or seeing different perspectives of the story.

Helping the trolls is always the good choice. :colbert:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
And often, trying to help makes everything worse. Brought to you by the same country that brought you the Warsaw uprising.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I can only urge you all to complete Witcher 1, it's amazing and great. Just run through the swamp while ignoring enemies if you hate it so much, until you have to talk to a dude, then just kill the bloedzuigers and everything explodes. Or wear the loving Red Ribbon. I seriously don't get stopping at the swamp.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

fspades posted:

Helping the trolls is always the good choice. :colbert:

I dont have the steam version but if I did the "trollslayer" achievement would remain forever unfulfilled.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

I can only urge you all to complete Witcher 1, it's amazing and great. Just run through the swamp while ignoring enemies if you hate it so much, until you have to talk to a dude, then just kill the bloedzuigers and everything explodes. Or wear the loving Red Ribbon. I seriously don't get stopping at the swamp.

Yeah, I don't get all the hate for the swamp, either. It's just straight lines to get wherever you want to go instead of the winding paths in most other areas and there aren't even that many enemies in it. It's super easy.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I think it's just that Act 2 is pretty long without much happening until the last stretch of it and the only thing that stands out in peoples memory is the swamp as it's more memorable than the bit of Vizima you're in. I mean, you spend a lot of time just running around between different NPCs in Act 2 in general.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Pwnstar posted:

One of the crones has that lotus thing for an eye, look forward to many goon tears regarding this.
gently caress, that'd literally make me not play the game. Hopefully there's a 'weird phobia' section of the options menu.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Lycus posted:

Well yeah, I should say playing as a bad rear end who says cool things verses a guy who tries to help and isn't making fun of people the entire time.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Get the 'stuff that makes life easier' mod for Witcher 1 http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher/recommended_mods_and_adventures/page1 It includes- teleport to/from the swamp, mobile storage, mobile shopkeeper, cat eyes toggle, etc. Nothing that really cheats, but removes a bunch of irritation.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

Well yeah, I should say playing as a bad rear end who says cool things verses a guy who tries to help and isn't making fun of people the entire time.

Witcher isn't Mass Effect, your choices actually change poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GrossMurpel posted:

Both of these series are my fave game series ever at the moment, and I still love this statement. ME would only resemble the Witcher if all your choices felt lovely and it turned out that Shepard actually ended up bringing the reapers here by accident through his trigger-happy prevention methods. Thinking about it...I wish that was the case. Dragon Age 2 did it also, where you inadvertantly destroyed Kirkwall and ruined far more lives than you actually managed to say. For all DA2's faults, I liked this.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I feel that sort of undersells The Witcher as a grim-dark-for-the-sake-of-it tale. It really isn't, and there are definitely things you can influence in the game which end up as pretty indisputable good outcomes.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

I feel that sort of undersells The Witcher as a grim-dark-for-the-sake-of-it tale. It really isn't, and there are definitely things you can influence in the game which end up as pretty indisputable good outcomes.

The thing I like most about this series is that most of those choices aren't exactly clear and the 'good' outcome is more a happy accident than Geralt single handedly saving the world through sheer force of will and dazzling swordplay.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't expect your past game choices effecting you any differently in W3 than it did in Mass Effect.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
There's really only one choice that makes any difference to me.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Hung_Over

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

There's really only one choice that makes any difference to me.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Hung_Over

That's exactly as much of a "choice" as not killing the Troll.

Bholder posted:

I don't expect your past game choices effecting you any differently in W3 than it did in Mass Effect.

What got imported into W2 from 1 even? Raven's armor and the swords which became useless pretty much instantly, what else?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

GrossMurpel posted:

What got imported into W2 from 1 even? Raven's armor and the swords which became useless pretty much instantly, what else?

Off the top of my head, If you save Adda she's brought up in dialog a few times as a possible heir to Henselt. If you sided with the Order then you meet Siegfried in Loc Muinne.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
If you helped the scoitel rob the bank (you can go neutral in the ending) and go with Iorveth a dwarf from Vivaldis bank says you have limitless credit and gives you some cash. I remember Iorveth had some altered dialogue depending on imports.
There are a couple other minor things I remember some background dialogue between characters in Foltests camp and Flotsom but the only real big things are saving Adda and siding with the Order.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Geralt I think at least in the games is a good guy but he's also a dick but thats what makes him so fun. Like when the elf woman complains to him that the men won't let her fight because she's a woman he doesn't go talk to the commander of the army and say pretty please he tells her to gently caress off and prove to those assholes that she deserves to be in the army then. Also his best friend is Dandelion so he's obviously a pretty cool guy.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Geralt I think at least in the games is a good guy but he's also a dick but thats what makes him so fun. Like when the elf woman complains to him that the men won't let her fight because she's a woman he doesn't go talk to the commander of the army and say pretty please he tells her to gently caress off and prove to those assholes that she deserves to be in the army then. Also his best friend is Dandelion so he's obviously a pretty cool guy.

Geralt's a good guy in a hosed-up world basically.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

GrossMurpel posted:

If you make the wrong decisions in Mass Effect 2 it becomes impossible to save both the Quarians and the Geth in Mass Effect 3. You are forced to genocide one because of carried over variables, potentially causing Tali to kill herself because of your incompetence. I think Mass Effect gets a lot more flack for their choice/decision system than they deserve, especially considering they were tracking something like 5000 different variables.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
^^
Ultimately, in the end, those choices don't really matter do they? :colbert:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

If you make the wrong decisions in Mass Effect 2 it becomes impossible to save both the Quarians and the Geth in Mass Effect 3. You are forced to genocide one because of carried over variables, potentially causing Tali to kill herself because of your incompetence. I think Mass Effect gets a lot more flack for their choice/decision system than they deserve, especially considering they were tracking something like 5000 different variables.

In ME it's also completely obvious which choice will lead to which result. You want to be the good guy? No problem, just pick the paragon option every time and you'll never regret it. In The Witcher things are a lot less clear and much more morally ambiguous. Not to mention that one choice in The Witcher 2 changes a whole third of the game.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Section 31 posted:

^^

To be fair, in the end the choices you made in The Witcher 2 don't really matter either. Regardless of who won the civil war, the game still ends with the Nilfgaardians coming to wreck both the winners and the losers.

I actually kind of like that about it. As a single person, you can't stop what's coming, but you can try to make your little corner of the world better before it happens. I think that's true for both games/series, with the main difference being that The Witcher never tried to pretend you were anything else.

It was absolutely bullshit that they had the same cutscene with different colors of explosion, but I don't think it's really fair to say that your choices mattered less in Mass Effect as a series just because the overall story arc leads to a single endpoint. In fact, because of the way they carry over between games, they probably matter more.

Edit: Having two almost entirely separate Act IIs is still ballsy/impressive as hell, though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Witcher 2 did choices right by actually making the game you play different depending on your choices. Mass Effect choices just changed (or just recolored) cutscenes.

And I don't care about imports, as long as W3 changes in reaction to W3 choices.

I enjoyed Mass Effect, but Witcher did choices better.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

Section 31 posted:

Scuzzywuffit posted:

To be fair, in the end the choices you made in The Witcher 2 don't really matter either.

Nothing matters. It's all futile. We're all nothing but specs of flesh going through this obscene dance of death for nothing. Everything is nothing.

• Locked thread