Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

counterfeitsaint posted:

People working for DT heads up, for some reason Sally's emails from yesterday are going into my Spam folder in gmail. I just now noticed an assignment she sent out. Lauren says they've had several people tell them the same thing, they're not sure why yet. Check your spam folder.

If you use gmail create a label that collects all emails from the DT domain. It'll override any gmail spam filtering that way and stuff that would normally end up there will get put in the label instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
That's a good idea. I had that issue as well and then had to explain to Sally that due to not seeing anything from them I was completely booked and couldn't take the work. Because we can't manipulate the TS within 48 hours I just left it assuming there was no work.

Oh and also something about an undetermined group size being worth $1 a minute from them and catch every syllable sounded like I'd want to shoot myself in the head, but I really was chockablock. I'll try that tab thing, thanks!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This actually makes more sense in context and is less funny, but completely without context I just found my favorite quote so far; "I don't even deserve to wear a fedora man."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

That's a good idea. I had that issue as well and then had to explain to Sally that due to not seeing anything from them I was completely booked and couldn't take the work. Because we can't manipulate the TS within 48 hours I just left it assuming there was no work.

Oh and also something about an undetermined group size being worth $1 a minute from them and catch every syllable sounded like I'd want to shoot myself in the head, but I really was chockablock. I'll try that tab thing, thanks!

If it's the project that came through for me, the group size was 3 on camera, 1 off camera, generally taking turns talking but sometimes talking over one another (It was judges on a contest-type cooking show doing the judging segments) with the occasional 5th person. Fairly easy, actually, especially factoring in long tracts of silence where they were doing the actual judging in their mouth. Pretty easy money all told, especially since I didn't get any captioning during the night and basically slacked off for most of it. I also got word of a rush project but didn't take it since I like to keep my nights free in case of captioning since I need that done and out, especially with the new changes that have been made in case there's a hiccup along the supply lines.

The fun thing is I've already done work on this show before so I know who wins the grand prize in the end anyway :v: Guess they just never got anyone to do this and a couple other videos.

E:

counterfeitsaint posted:

This actually makes more sense in context and is less funny, but completely without context I just found my favorite quote so far; "I don't even deserve to wear a fedora man."

I think I have an inkling who said that (If he hasn't been eliminated from his show yet) since I've transcribed him before and he is by far the gooniest looking man I've ever seen, and that includes going through goons.jpg threads and owning a mirror!

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 22, 2014

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
I wonder what was up with her email - for the last 2 days all of her email to me was spammed as well. I got an email from QC asking me if I would confirm an assignment and I broke out in a cold sweat because I never received anything! Checked in my spam folder and yep, two assignments were sitting there. Luckily I still had time to complete both of them within deadline, but I also had to turn down Gchat rush for her twice and I felt pretty bad about it, since it was kind of obvious that they needed some extra hands on deck yesterday.

I created a filter in gmail for her address and so far no more issues.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I just chalk it up to something being hosed somewhere along the line. I've been booked for a project before that I literally never got the e-mail to, not in spam or inbox, whatsoever. Had to coordinate for days to manage to actually get it through to me for some reason (Mostly because I wasn't stupid enough to blindly accept a project I couldn't actually confirm having the assignment for).

I've also had outgoing e-mails to Box/submissions end up dropping their attachments sometimes, or taking hours to get through to submissions' inbox.

E: I use Yahoo, specifically my age-old sbcglobal.net e-mail address that I got when the family first made the jump to DSL like a decade ago.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 22, 2014

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I've had client emails get randomly blackholed before. For about two weeks at a stretch, AT&T just dropped everything one client sent me -- not in the spam filters, not even in the server-side spam filters, just gone. I had to start using my gmail account for business (which I didn't want to do) just to stay working. And then, gmail occasionally wouldn't deliver messages to one of my clients. No idea what caused it in either case.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I dunno, maybe e-mail's just always been this unreliable and we only notice it now since we're sending and receiving multiples every day. At least this isn't 1999 again where it took 20 minutes to send an e-mail with attachment via dial-up.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

E: I use Yahoo, specifically my age-old sbcglobal.net e-mail address that I got when the family first made the jump to DSL like a decade ago.

I'll admit your email is one of the weird few that isn't "lastnamefirstname@gmail", but at least it isn't "gofavoritesportsteam@hotmail.com" :rolleyes:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'll admit your email is one of the weird few that isn't "lastnamefirstname@gmail", but at least it isn't "gofavoritesportsteam@hotmail.com" :rolleyes:

The rest of my family's surname (I was given a choice of which surname I wanted when my parents got married and I picked the one I could spell at the time since I was like 6 or whatever), first letter initial of each family member at the time when we made the e-mail address. I took it over since I'm the resident goony nerd and also the only one here who can use a computer without looking at the keyboard and typing one word per hour so I became family secretary. We've had that e-mail address across different domains since the days of Outlook or whatever in '99 when we first got a computer, but by "we've" I mostly mean "I've" since everyone else has since gotten their own e-mail addresses that they never use since they have me order everything for them if they need to make a purchase or subscribe to anything.

I do have a gmail but it's not my real name and I use it mostly as a spam repository and also for my personal eBay account.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 22, 2014

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Unrelated to DT or Transcription, but relevant to email chat, my widespread contact email is Nighthand at gmail, though I have the firstnamelastname at gmail as well.

I had a writing client google my Nighthand name (it was my display name for one of the content mills), track me down through forum contact information and WHOIS for my website, since I happen to own nighthand.com too. He's by far my most lucrative client, so it worked out awesomely.

Of course, my real name is unique enough that it'd probably have been easier if that had been my display name too, but either one worked.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Strangely enough, my IRL name isn't particularly common, but it's associated with other people enough that just Googling it wouldn't get much, since it's also the name of a professor, a NatGeo photographer, an H.P. Lovecraft character, and more who are more prominent or active with the name than I am.

Looking up my username brings up a billion lovely posts on SA, some of my lovely taste in shooters, and then it dives into a bunch of anime and manga that I have no interest in since my name originates basically from playing too many Koei games. Luckily, most of the stupid poo poo from when I was a dumb teenager is associated with dead usernames I haven't touched in a decade.

So basically I hope none of my clients Google me, or if they do that they think I'm the professor dude moonlighting and think higher of me because of it thereby offering me better jobs and rates.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 22, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You wouldn't believe the clients I have that still have AOL and still use their email addresses from when they were teens or in their 20s. Its always hard not to laugh when confirming emails over the phone. Hottallie69@aol.com? Okay, I'll have this for you ASAP.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you use gmail create a label that collects all emails from the DT domain. It'll override any gmail spam filtering that way and stuff that would normally end up there will get put in the label instead.

Another heads up, I did this and still found an email from Sally in my spam folder today, everyone might want to double check. (It's entirely possible I didn't set it up right because I am a bad)

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
When I made my label yesterday the stuff from Sally has a big notification at the top that says "This message was not sent to spam because of a filter you created."

I agree it could be a simpler process. Like an option for absolutely do not send stuff from X to spam.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Holy Hell. I just finished that test video from DT. :suicide:

I wish they would give you a better sample file of what they expect for transcription. Their example didn't include any: uh, ah, hmm, or the-the-the-the. It was plain jane.

So what are they using these transcription files for? Close captioning? Scripts for theatrical portrayal of Iron Chef America?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Most transcripts are for the producers and engineers of a given show to know what needs to be re-recorded or how to Frankenstein together their footage (After a while you develop an ear for where they ADR'd or whatever else in quite a lot of shows, but especially in reality stuff; the short of it is, a LOT of stuff has audio spliced in, even dramas and possibly game shows if my ears don't betray me). Most are also on par with that test video, but it was hard mostly because the test wants everything. Trust me, after a while those 7 minutes will seem like nothing at all. The best part is the average for an 80-90 minute interview seems to be maybe 6 minutes of usable footage, so we basically get paid to look at the chaff.

You also sometimes get the odd captioning transcript from DT (I've done a few of those for a Christian ministry), you get work for transcribing video so that people can reference it (I've done a number of book or show research things, in addition to stuff like conferences), but the majority of the work at DT is for what I said in my first paragraph.

On the whole, it's funner than it seems or has any right to be, and it does open up opportunities. I took to transcription really well and within about 3 months had basically gotten "promoted" by signing on with a closed captioning company. Now I even have a show that I'm the person tagged to always caption, along with doing movies and other things. Much less chaff in the captioning work and a better pay when you do have to do a talking head.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 23, 2014

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

I would have killed for more examples. Even a transcription example of the 1st minute of the Iron Chef test clip.

I spent a few hours just going back and forth between the instructions and the test video, trying to sort out a system.

Of course, it's about the same with me and Ikea instructions.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
What's funny is when I get transcripts back for my test reel and there are errors where there's an example of that specific line of dialogue in the handbook that comes with the reel.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Does DT ever give reality TV work that isn't those interviews, or is that all ABS?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yes but rarely and it's usually wrapped up within an interview. You see it with the monster hunting style shows sometimes but they will sometimes do action scenes during an interview, especially if they want to make something seem urgent enough that someone's being interrupted or if there's an actual natural phenomenon happening they want to take advantage of (Personally I've seen a pack of coyotes start going nuts in the distance and massive flocks of birds take off as the prime examples).

Of course, then there's the time I transcribed a man skinning a dead bear.

What's funny is when I get transcripts back for my test reel and there are errors where there's an example of that specific line of dialogue in the handbook that comes with the reel.

Just a guess: that one segment of the test where it's the travel show, right? I remembered the example when I came to the audio and was like, "No, they wouldn't just give away answers to the test like that," but sure enough they did and do.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Shima Honnou posted:

Of course, then there's the time I transcribed a man skinning a dead bear.

Be glad. Just think how much harder he would have been to understand if it were a live bear.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Internet Friend posted:

Be glad. Just think how much harder he would have been to understand if it were a live bear.

The dude made a grunting sound that I tagged as [LAUGH] because that's what it sounded like roughly 3 times per sentence interjected between words in a 70 minute video. And the producer had him treat the bear as if it were alive so he was talking to it the whole time, yelling at it to stay still and take it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was poking around in gmail settings again, and noticed that when you have the filter settings open (filters apply labels in this arcane clusterfuck), there is a little continue link, and in the second page of settings there is a "Never put items in this filter into spam" checkbox. That should fix it. God, I knew there was a reason I never bothered with gmail settings.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Surprising to absolutely nobody: dumbfuck 'let's cut the tape when the interviewer asks a question and just record the answers oh by the way TC all of those answers :v:' client is at it again.

EDIT: And DT doesn't listen when you say 'I don't want this client if they're doing (X), please just assign it to someone else,' even if it was all of a few weeks ago. All I can figure is that they never actually screen their own files.

I get that they can get swamped, but jesus christ, when you say explicitly 'I don't want this project at all ever,' you'd think they'd turn it over to people who want the work more than you do.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 23, 2014

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

So what's so bad about that? Is it because it is hard to tell where one answer ends and the next one begins?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

That, and the client's making you do a lot more work for the per-minute rate.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

kazmeyer posted:

That, and the client's making you do a lot more work for the per-minute rate.

Also one of the reasons why I hate doing "Transcribe literally everything the interviewee says, no [NON-INTERVIEW] tags" files.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

Also one of the reasons why I hate doing "Transcribe literally everything the interviewee says, no [NON-INTERVIEW] tags" files.

I wonder how much of that is just clients not knowing what total and clear verbatim are.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I get crazy sets of instructions from customers sometimes. I once got "exact verbatim, leave out ums and uhs and false starts and repeated words and edit it for clarity and summarize the questions." When I asked for clarification, they repeated themselves. I had to point out that those words don't make any sense and they needed to let me know what they wanted. "Light edit" is what it came down to.

Best customer ever, though, was "Can you get this file back to me in two hours?" "No." "Why not? I'll pay extra." "It's more than two hours long. I'm not Doctor Who."

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

Best customer ever, though, was "Can you get this file back to me in two hours?" "No." "Why not? I'll pay extra." "It's more than two hours long. I'm not Doctor Who."

Easy. Just play it back at 2x speed.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

moolchaba posted:

Easy. Just play it back at 2x speed.

I had a file last week that seemed to be slowed down. Popped that bitch into 1.5x speed and worked through it with no problems.

:ssh:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

App13 posted:

I had a file last week that seemed to be slowed down. Popped that bitch into 1.5x speed and worked through it with no problems.

:ssh:

That's actually one of my favorite things about InqScribe. It's really easy to adjust the speed on a tape, and I think the slider goes between 0.1 and something ridiculous like 8x. Great for skipping over those bits of chatter you don't have to transcribe.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

kazmeyer posted:

That's actually one of my favorite things about InqScribe. It's really easy to adjust the speed on a tape, and I think the slider goes between 0.1 and something ridiculous like 8x. Great for skipping over those bits of chatter you don't have to transcribe.

Inqscribe is the best. I'm using the free version right now. Since you're familiar with it, any reason I should upgrade?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I honestly don't remember what gets limited after your trial period. I think it's just stuff like not being able to save as a text file or something; I never do that anyway, I just copy and paste out of the program into the document template.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I heart [NON-INTERVIEW] tags. ~20 minute file, so far the first 5 minutes have been everyone dicking around under a tag and it's great just being able to watch some jackass and the crew joke around without also having to record it all.

E:
9 lines from the interviewee in around 11 minutes so far, and all of that is either clarification or attempts at getting a single line right. This on top of the crew having technical issues with their mic or something and spending at least a minute with no audio at all while rolling.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 24, 2014

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

I heart [NON-INTERVIEW] tags. ~20 minute file, so far the first 5 minutes have been everyone dicking around under a tag and it's great just being able to watch some jackass and the crew joke around without also having to record it all.

E:
9 lines from the interviewee in around 11 minutes so far, and all of that is either clarification or attempts at getting a single line right. This on top of the crew having technical issues with their mic or something and spending at least a minute with no audio at all while rolling.

Right there with you. First 5 minutes of my file had no audio

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Maybe we have the same thing. Airplanes and trucks keep driving by and the interviewee needs to say the line four or five times. I've done 30 minutes of audio in the last hour.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Spartan421 posted:

Maybe we have the same thing. Airplanes and trucks keep driving by and the interviewee needs to say the line four or five times. I've done 30 minutes of audio in the last hour.

Probably, it seems like they just threw a couch out off a state highway or something, at least based on what my dude was saying. He was pretty funny though, I'll give him that, and I'm glad that I could listen to him and only have to do like 5 pages worth in Word of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Mine has a camper trailer with overgrowth around it and bras hanging off a clothesline in the background. It's like they tried to make it the most redneck background ever.

Spartan421 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 24, 2014