Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

jscolon2.0 posted:

Maybe he has permission to talk about the Magic movie.

edit: Because he confirmed it's not GDS3, and with Khans previews the week after, it's not a new product.

I don't think that is a topic that he would write about in his Making Magic column. Someone else at Wizards would probably discuss it.

edit: he also confirmed that it is not Un3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Yeah, read it earlier and I love any articles where they let us into the Multiverse. Like, let's play Hatred with loving Bog Rats. Let's cost Birthing Pod at 2 and G!G!, and just give it a tap activation (at least they caught this one). Let's compare Bitterblossom's drawback to Dark Confidant's and not remember that no one gives a poo poo about Bob's drawback because he's so powerful.

This one from one of the earlier times they did it sums it up perfectly, I think.

Whetstone. For gently caress's sake.

My favorite thing about the article (and the other two too) is just ho useless some of the developer comments are. "D4 4/6: Added a little more sauce." is exactly what I'd expect to see on a commit message for code right before someone else sends it off without a test run.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator
Who wants to take a guess?

markrosewater posted:

organizedhysteria posted:

Any info about your article on Monday you can give? Like, maybe the first and last letter of the title or of the article?

Okay, I’ll play.

The first letter of the column’s title is M.

The last letter of the column’s title is S.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Modern Ends.

But yeah, I haven't a clue.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
My very tentative guess would be that the first word is Modern or Masters.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

"Magic Origins"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

LGD posted:

"Magic Origins"

Oh, durr, now I remember that this name was floated around before. Yeah, I'll bet this is it.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

LGD posted:

"Magic Origins"

Oh snaps, that could certainly be it.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Merry Melodies. Massive Sales. Mastodon Orgasms. My Balls.

Really, I'm just hoping it's at least worth the hype.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I had to doublecheck that lowtax hadn't hosed up the servers so bad that it logged me into MTG salvation for a minute after the last two pages. The lack of Loli anime titty sigs helped.

Why do we have to be lovely again?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Time to speculate wildly about what it will be.

A non-tournament-legal set of cards along the lines of the original Collector's Edition?

Information about the movie?

A line of manga-style comic books exploring the interactions of all of the Planeswalkers when they were inexplicably in high school together on Dominaria?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Abolishing the reserved list has been ruled out.

Interestingly, Maro said "unfortunately, no"

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Veyrall posted:

It's best to be neutral about this stuff. That way when it's not that big of a deal, nothing to cry about, when it's big, it's that much more pleasant.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ultima66 posted:

It's almost completely unplayable in limited. It requires 2 creatures in play to do anything, wastes 7 mana of yours if they have any instant speed removal whatsoever, and with less than 3 creatures in play it doesn't actually ever increase the amount of damage you will be doing. Also it requires 9 mana to be spent before ever doing anything, at which point you aren't allowed to attack with your biggest creature. Just consider that if your opponent has any blockers out that will trade for your guys, you probably can't attack with the throne, since you have to leave your guys back so it will do something the next turn. Then, assuming your opponent has no instant speed removal to blow you out, or sorcery speed removal to greatly hinder the effect of the throne, you will probably get 6-8 extra damage after spending 5 mana the next turn, which is a best case scenario. A simple Vulshok Morningstar will often represent 8 damage in that scenario, does not require investing 5 more mana the next turn, and is far more useful in situations where you have 0, 1, or 2 creatures on board. An Armory of Iroas can often represent 5 or 6 damage in that scenario, also costs 4 to play and equip, and isn't even particularly strong. Even reluctantly playable Bladed Pinions represents a better opportunity to kill an opponent than the throne in most scenarios.

E:

I'm not trying to pick on you in particular but this is something myself and another subset of the Magic playing goons outside of this thread have picked up on a lot:

I do want to put this in the nicest way possible but I think it really speaks volumes about a lot of people in this thread. The kind of posters who constantly talk about how Jace is insufferable, old art is good, old card frames are better, Steve Argyle sexism, blah blah blah, are the ones who always post opinions like this. Especially the ones who make a lot of posts about how awesome the flavor of something is. I don't want to name names or anything, and I can't honestly remember if this is true about you, because IIRC it's not, but last time there was a big "look up your w/l record from your pwp history on kavu!" thing going on, the goons with overall losing records were pretty much all in this group of people as well.

I guess this isn't really the best place for poo poo like this, but just pointing it out. And hey, it does entertain me to an extent.

Can someone explain to me the point trying to be made here?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Sickening posted:

I may not have interpreted it correctly, but what I get out of it is, "people who disagree with me are bad at Magic. If you disagree with me, you are bad at Magic. If you don't want to be bad at Magic, then you should agree with me."

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Also, everyone in the Magic topic are bad at Magic.

I'll just wait until more of the set comes out before I talk about the throne. On the flip side, it'll go great in my Soldier EDH deck.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Sickening posted:

It's way too many words about why a card that obviously isn't going to get played seriously outside of limited and janky Commander decks is bad. The only possible non-limited use I can see for it is in a nongreen commander deck that wants access to an overrun effect.

Of course, now that I've said this, I'll probably eat my words when some deck uses it as a wincon and it shoots up to $10 overnight after some big tournament.

TL:DR evaluating cards before anyone has had a chance to see how they perform in a metagame is a fool's errand.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Veyrall posted:

"The theme for the fall 2015 set is My Balls, because let's face it, you've shown you'll pretty much buy anything."

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

suicidesteve posted:

So why did shiny Duck Fargos suddenly triple in value? The only ones on TCGPlayer are $350 and $450. Was there some announcement or tournament results I missed?

The other fun conspiracy card to follow is the shiny Lore Seeker. Three weeks back it was sold out everywhere except for a foil $150 version on ebay, and then a $10,000 version popped up on tcgplayer, sold out at every non-tcgplayer outlet. Been occasionally popping up at $30-$50 on tcgplayer, went back in stock at SCG and immediately sold out at $12.

Ended up grabbing a $22 shipped foil Japanese one on ebay on Wednesday for my cube, and now the only foil English copies on tcgplayer are $200.

At least currently, some Conspiracy foils are completely nuts.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Obviously the article is Modern 2 Masters.

Dack Fayden seems like one of those Really Good EDHWalkers just because there's a shitload of mana rocks and thinning a 100 card deck seems good.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

Abolishing the reserved list has been ruled out.

Interestingly, Maro said "unfortunately, no"

He's been pretty open in the past about hating the Reserved List just as much as anyone else. In addition to the usual arguments against it, WotC would make an absolute killing if they reprinted, say, the original dual lands in a core set. I haven't bought non-Commander sealed Magic product since Fifth Dawn, and I would buy two boxes of that poo poo.

Since the article isn't about GDS3, Khans spoilers, MaRo retiring, Un-set 3, the Reserve List, something unworthy of the hype, or who would win in a cook-off, I'd be willing to bet it's either Modern Masters 2 or some completely bonkers new thing that we can't even predict. Conspiracy or higher levels of strange.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Minority Deport posted:

He's been pretty open in the past about hating the Reserved List just as much as anyone else. In addition to the usual arguments against it, WotC would make an absolute killing if they reprinted, say, the original dual lands in a core set. I haven't bought non-Commander sealed Magic product since Fifth Dawn, and I would buy two boxes of that poo poo.

Since the article isn't about GDS3, Khans spoilers, MaRo retiring, Un-set 3, the Reserve List, something unworthy of the hype, or who would win in a cook-off, I'd be willing to bet it's either Modern Masters 2 or some completely bonkers new thing that we can't even predict. Conspiracy or higher levels of strange.

Announcing any product, even MM2, seems very unlikely to me. I just don't think Wizards would do anything to undercut the hype of the Fall set, thats why they always wait till the Spring.

Its either going to be something stupid and Maro was just wrong about it being hype-worthy, or its going to be something really huge and weird

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
What is GDS?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

What is GDS?

The Great Designer Search was a reality-show type contest where people basically auditioned for internships on the Magic design team. They did it twice, and a lot of current R&D were contestants in it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Minority Deport posted:

I can't see why Maro would introduce MM2. He's a design-team leader and there's nothing that really needs to be designed in a reprint set.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Out of curiosity, are they allowed to print gold edged cards of things on the reserved list?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

They'll hold of announcing Modern Masters 2 until a Pro Tour.

My guess is that it will have something to do with Standard rotation.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

Out of curiosity, are they allowed to print gold edged cards of things on the reserved list?

Nope, they don't print premium or regular versions of RL cards. The only things they print are gigantic ones when you win a tournament.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

Maro has said that this does not violate the reserve list, but he feels that it violates the spirit of the reserve list.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Yeah, read it earlier and I love any articles where they let us into the Multiverse. Like, let's play Hatred with loving Bog Rats. Let's cost Birthing Pod at 2 and G!G!, and just give it a tap activation (at least they caught this one). Let's compare Bitterblossom's drawback to Dark Confidant's and not remember that no one gives a poo poo about Bob's drawback because he's so powerful.

This one from one of the earlier times they did it sums it up perfectly, I think.

Whetstone. For gently caress's sake.

At least they figured out that Deceiver Exarch went in the pod deck.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Pinwiz11 posted:

They'll hold of announcing Modern Masters 2 until a Pro Tour.

My guess is that it will have something to do with Standard rotation.

Besides, there's no way they announce a completely different set from the one that's going to start previewing in a week. They've made that mistake before and (for instance) announced Khans block at the Spring PT to make sure its announcement didn't overlap with the JOU spoiler season.

I honestly have no idea what it's going to be. Luckily we don't have to wait very long to find out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just to stir the pot some more, Magic Origins seems to me like a good name for a reprint set going backwards past the Modern era, without co-opting the Modern Masters name with something like "Lords of Legacy".

Count Bleck posted:

Obviously the article is Modern 2 Masters.

Dack Fayden seems like one of those Really Good EDHWalkers just because there's a shitload of mana rocks and thinning a 100 card deck seems good.

I had a Grixis EDH deck focused around stealing & copying that would have loved Dack, but I took it apart because it was pretty weak and I never played it. So of course a couple weeks later I'm doing my first Conspiracy draft and Dack is in the first pack I open :shepface:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Magic Origins is surely an Android/iOS remake of Shandalar, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Just to stir the pot some more, Magic Origins seems to me like a good name for a reprint set going backwards past the Modern era, without co-opting the Modern Masters name with something like "Lords of Legacy".

I had a Grixis EDH deck focused around stealing & copying that would have loved Dack, but I took it apart because it was pretty weak and I never played it. So of course a couple weeks later I'm doing my first Conspiracy draft and Dack is in the first pack I open :shepface:

Why not just call it Legacy Masters then? Not that Legacy Masters sounds a worthwhile product since a crap load of the necessary cards are still Reserved List. I mean, sure, you could print more Force of Wills, I guess. But that's not going to change the circulation of Revised duals.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Why not just call it Legacy Masters then? Not that Legacy Masters sounds a worthwhile product since a crap load of the necessary cards are still Reserved List. I mean, sure, you could print more Force of Wills, I guess. But that's not going to change the circulation of Revised duals.

It'd absolutely be a worthwhile product if you play Legacy as there is a lot more than Force of Will that they could reprint- i.e. just thinking of lands Karakas, Wasteland, Rishadan Port and the Onslaught fetchlands are all worthy reprints. And that's not getting to stuff like Show and Tell or Sneak Attack. But you're quite right that it seems silly to launch a product totally aimed at supporting the eternal formats in paper without doing something to address the supply issues with the cards that are still reserved, dual lands especially.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So how did Serum Visions miss being in Modern Masters? 'Cause that card seems like it could use a reprint ($6 for a Common? :drat:), even if they have to move it up in rarity (hopefully it'd only go up to Uncommon).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

So how did Serum Visions miss being in Modern Masters? 'Cause that card seems like it could use a reprint ($6 for a Common? :drat:), even if they have to move it up in rarity (hopefully it'd only go up to Uncommon).

Zero reason to move it up to uncommon. It doesn't distort Limited, and the hypothetical John Galts of the cardstock world having carved out their personal fortunes in $6 serum visions isn't actually a real reason not to send it back to 50 cents, occasional Internet rhetoric notwithstanding.

That doesn't mean they won't do it, and frankly, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was an uncommon either. :shrug:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Probably due to concerns about whether it would still be Modern legal when MM went to print. They explicitly avoided cards that they were on the fence about them being banned or not.

Card selection is (I think?) intentionally much weaker in Modern than older formats, which is why one of the crappiest card-selecting cantrips is the only legal one. They might have been considering banning it as well at the time; they didn't, and they probably won't, but the point remains.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They banned Ponder instead. Which was, honestly, for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

JerryLee posted:

Zero reason to move it up to uncommon. It doesn't distort Limited, and the hypothetical John Galts of the cardstock world having carved out their personal fortunes in $6 serum visions isn't actually a real reason not to send it back to 50 cents, occasional Internet rhetoric notwithstanding.

That doesn't mean they won't do it, and frankly, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was an uncommon either. :shrug:

I think you're misunderstanding what value wizards gets out of reprints of expensive cards. When they reprint an expensive card, that sells the set that it's in. Expensive reprintables are a limited quantity. If they reprint it at common and tank the value, it means that they can't pull the same trick again later. It's about milking cards for all that they can get out of them.

• Locked thread