Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Evil_Greven posted:

And another one bites the dust

They really are that loving stupid.

I am not sure what possess people to do this poo poo but then I think about what people think free speech means and I laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Agrajag posted:

It is so ridiculous that the simple act of lowering arms can be construed as a justification of the use of deadly force on an unarmed man. Seriously that poo poo ain't right. The pre-requisites for the use of deadly force should be so much more stringent than the belief of bodily harm. Whatever happened to right to life?

Think about what else Wilson apparently saying that Brown lowered his arms means... remember the autopsy report?

Wilson's alleged account supports Brown having his arms raised, but Brown lowering his arms caused Wilson to shoot him... so how did he get those bullet wounds to the inside of his arms?

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Popular Thug Drink posted:

This is exactly what a teenaged 4channer says to himself to justify why he's fantasizing about pissing people off after arguing with his dad.

Really the only annoying thing about your trolling style is that you've fooled yourself into thinking you're any good at it. Come on son, have some pride.

Something about it works because you're still posting

Shameful

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
body cameras.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah, the closest is the poverty breeds an environment where criminals flourish, but that is a fundamentally different thing than being poor makes you want to rape.

Poverty is associated with crime, but there's no reason people should use being an oppressed and impoverished minority as an excuse for crimes completely unrelated to racial oppression, such as sexual assault.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

on the left posted:

Poverty is associated with crime, but there's no reason people should use being an oppressed and impoverished minority as an excuse for crimes completely unrelated to racial oppression, such as sexual assault.

...but they don't?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Evil_Greven posted:

And another one bites the dust

They really are that loving stupid.

Being a shitheel racist is fairly common here. But being racist itself does not get you fired. Being silent about it leads nowhere and being vocal leads to partner after partner complaining to the supervisor that they can't ride as your partner. A lot of shitheel cops end up riding alone during the shittiest shift because everybody has complained.

You still don't get fired. So in your head, nothing seems out of the ordinary when you post to this newfangled facebook and tell everybody what you have always been telling.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Did anyone see what happened with "Iyanla Vanzant"?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

on the left posted:

Yeah that is what is said.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Did anyone see what happened with "Iyanla Vanzant"?
No, why don't you tell us.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Being a shitheel racist is fairly common here. But being racist itself does not get you fired. Being silent about it leads nowhere and being vocal leads to partner after partner complaining to the supervisor that they can't ride as your partner. A lot of shitheel cops end up riding alone during the shittiest shift because everybody has complained.

You still don't get fired. So in your head, nothing seems out of the ordinary when you post to this newfangled facebook and tell everybody what you have always been telling.

Plus, if the cops nearby hadn't killed a black man recently no one would have cared.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jack Gladney posted:

America is like the evil universe created when science-fiction characters go back in time and change something inconsequential, and then they come back and everything's bad. We are living in the world where George Bailey was never born. We are the nightmare dystopia.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

chitoryu12 posted:

...but they don't?

The response to the crime statistics was a round of the typical "those statistics are racist because they don't consider that minorities are forced into crime by circumstances created by white people", and this logic presumably included the sexual assault statistics posted.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

on the left posted:

The response to the crime statistics was a round of the typical "those statistics are racist because they don't consider that minorities are forced into crime by circumstances created by white people", and this logic presumably included the sexual assault statistics posted.

I think it's pretty obvious that literally nobody was talking about sexual assault in that context and you're just nitpicking, either for something to harp about or troll about.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Plus, if the cops nearby hadn't killed a black man recently no one would have cared.

Oh if only you would know how social media representation or even saying things in public and telling you are a cop after that are handled in most places.

If you care, here is a link.
http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=2091&issue_id=52010

quote:

In 2009, an Indiana state trooper faced an Internal Affairs investigation for what was termed “compromising” photographs and statements that he posted on the Internet. An investigation conducted by a news organization found that the trooper had photographs in which he was posed with a .357 Magnum pointed at his head, drinking what he described to be lots of beer with his buddies, and lewd horseplay. The investigation showed that the trooper’s Facebook page was used to brag of heavy drinking along with updates about his activities at work.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 23, 2014

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nthalp posted:

body cameras.

Require all goons to wear bodycameras while posting.

wait no don't

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

on the left posted:

Disregarding that your understanding isn't even close to what people mean when they're talking about institutional racism I'd really like to know what your explanation for the differences in the statistics are.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Wait you guys are arguing about an unsourced quote that says this:

quote:

0.0%
Which is more likely, in a 5 year span less than 100 white people committed sexual assault against black people, or that those stats are all completely made up?

EDIT Found the actual article, not going to bother fact checking it because its source is a giant gently caress off list of all crimes committed in a years span.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 23, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

Require all goons to wear bodycameras while posting.

wait no don't

Some people just want to watch the world's penises.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Kaytwo posted:

D&D unironically posts garbage like that all the time.

"Me, I gotta own these fools by bolding a bunch of things in this article and posting some gifs in it that will totally make me look like one cool customer" *flips baseball cap around and rides out of the thread on a razor scooter*

To be serious, does anyone with some direct experience have any info about the maintenance costs for some of the high-tech stuff these departments have? It sounds like budgets are tight already, how does that factor into the equation on this one? If they aren't getting funding for that stuff then it would be a huge black hole in the budget to keep some of these high-tech toys in good working order and that would really be a missive issue if it conflicts with training for funding. Sorry if I missed that conversation when I scrolled past the redundant poverty arguments that clogged up the thread like southern cuisine has clogged the arteries of some of those heftier officers.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Oh if only you would know how social media representation or even saying things in public and telling you are a cop after that are handled in most places.

If you care, here is a link.
http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=2091&issue_id=52010

Lol if you really think that cops get punished for saying crazy things at political gatherings.

No, your link of a cop posting suicidal/alcoholic pictures on facebook isn't the same thing. But yes, most employers have social media policies.

Haha, even in the example you quoted the officer wasn't fired and wasn't disciplined for what he said but because he was facebooking on the job:

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=10066071 posted:

"There has been an internal investigation started," said ISP Major Carlos Pettiford, adding that investigators are trying to determine if the photos and information posted on Pestow's Facebook page violate department rules.

Pettiford says the state's biggest concern is that Trooper Pestow may have been Facebook-ing while you were paying for it.

ISP records show Pestow was on duty during the early morning hours of February 11. That day at 2 a.m., an entry on his Facebook page reads "Chris Pestow is NOT working in the rain."

On February 19, while state records indicate Pestow was working his overnight shift, the Trooper's Facebook site shows this entry at 3:22 a.m.: "It's cold AND snowing?!?! I can't possibly work in these conditions."

And on November 28 at 1:20 a.m., ISP says Pestow was supposed to be on duty at the same time he apparently wrote, "Chris Pestow is keeping the mean streets of Fishers safe and free of trash."

A friend quickly responded to that post.

"Hmmmm. how are u keeping the streets safe ... if u r on facebook? :)," the friend wrote.

ISP is wondering the same thing.

"That's a clear violation. We know that right off the bat," said Major Pettiford. "When they're working, that's exactly what they're supposed to be doing is working, not playing or writing on the internet unless it's for department business."

Edit: to be clear the officer was never disciplined instead choosing to resign. He's now a manager with Correctional Corporation of America, in charge of compliance training. He got that job <6 months after he resigned.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 23, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

To give them some credit they aren't using microwave rays that make peoples skin burn because they cost too much to use.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bifner McDoogle posted:

"Me, I gotta own these fools by bolding a bunch of things in this article and posting some gifs in it that will totally make me look like one cool customer" *flips baseball cap around and rides out of the thread on a razor scooter*

To be serious, does anyone with some direct experience have any info about the maintenance costs for some of the high-tech stuff these departments have? It sounds like budgets are tight already, how does that factor into the equation on this one? If they aren't getting funding for that stuff then it would be a huge black hole in the budget to keep some of these high-tech toys in good working order and that would really be a missive issue if it conflicts with training for funding. Sorry if I missed that conversation when I scrolled past the redundant poverty arguments that clogged up the thread like southern cuisine has clogged the arteries of some of those heftier officers.

Someone here posted about his local village getting a "free" MRAP, as usual, for basically no reason other than to offload war surplus. He was asking what the cost of maintaining even one would be.

Overseas in heavy use by contractors, the DoD spends about $60k a year on each MRAP. It'll obviously be less for something that spends most of its time sitting on a lot and occasionally being driven out to sit outside of houses and look scary when busting the wrong house on a warrant, but it's gotta eat up a good chunk of change.

Someone in that thread talks about how his agency got tossed two M14 rifles and they literally can't get rid of them; even if they find another agency that wants them, they're not allowed to sell them or give them away and the state DRMO office wants them accounted for each year. Nobody wants to use them as a patrol rifle when there are perfectly good AR-15s, so they languish while still having to be kept in pristine condition.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wadjamaloo posted:

To give them some credit they aren't using microwave rays that make peoples skin burn because they cost too much to use.

It's not because they were too expensive, they were just too late to request one before other counties police forces snapped them up when the DOD was handing them out. They didn't even get a tank, they got stuck with lovely armored cars, LRADs, and 4 foot long beating sticks.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol if you really think that cops get punished for saying crazy things at political gatherings.

No, your link of a cop posting suicidal/alcoholic pictures on facebook isn't the same thing. But yes, most employers have social media policies.

Haha, even in the example you quoted the officer wasn't fired and wasn't disciplined for what he said but because he was facebooking on the job:

I don't have to think. I know first hand the process of enforcing social media activity in several municipalities.

Albeit very closely, I also have second hand information of enforcement and the resulting firings or disciplinary actions of several more police departments that I do not have first hand info in.

Only lol is at you if you think that there is a single cop out there who doesn't surf the net or call on the celly during duty.

Saying that is also often a clear cut way of getting rid of unwanted behaviour online, by citing a rule that is not followed by anyone.

Making correct steps of trying to figure out if it is racist or offensive or incriminating is much harder.

Despite systemic ill effects of police departments, they are not some lawless wastelands where people do lovely things all the time without repercussion. Sorry.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Somewhere in my internet travels tonight I saw something that the Saginaw County sheriff MRAP that John Oliver made fun of was getting decommissioned because operating costs were so high. http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/22/michigan-county-sheriffs-department-dump

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If police departments were suddenly showered with money, what do you think they would spend them on? Obviously not weapons and armor and stuff since they can get those for free from the feds. More training? More officers? Higher salaries? Tasers? Cameras? Lamborghini police cars?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

If police departments were suddenly showered with money, what do you think they would spend them on? Obviously not weapons and armor and stuff since they can get those for free from the feds. More training? More officers? Higher salaries? Tasers? Cameras? Lamborghini police cars?

Fleet upgrades and station renovations are usually on the do list, as are new gear and personal protection. Newer boots, uniforms, radios etc.

Hiring more is harder since they need their annual budget to raise, not just a lump sum.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They would probably spend it on more weapons and armor.

look at your average republican gun owner. They have two hands and 24 rifles. They probably don't even have the drive to rig up a system allowing them to use all 24 rifles at the same time.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kaytwo posted:

Something about it works because you're still posting

Shameful

What is it like to live life where you notice and respond to everyone who notices and responds to your posts?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

I don't have to think. I know first hand the process of enforcing social media activity in several municipalities.

Albeit very closely, I also have second hand information of enforcement and the resulting firings or disciplinary actions of several more police departments that I do not have first hand info in.

Only lol is at you if you think that there is a single cop out there who doesn't surf the net or call on the celly during duty.

Saying that is also often a clear cut way of getting rid of unwanted behaviour online, by citing a rule that is not followed by anyone.

Making correct steps of trying to figure out if it is racist or offensive or incriminating is much harder.

Despite systemic ill effects of police departments, they are not some lawless wastelands where people do lovely things all the time without repercussion. Sorry.

Good job ignoring my point. If I violated my workplace internet polices, I'd get fired. In the example you gave, the officer got to resign and is now a manager in corrections. He obviously got a good reference.

But I do agree that police often charge people with BS charges because they're too lazy to do a complete investigation. At least we agree on that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hookers and blow.

And booze.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Clearly the big s State cannot infringe on their freedom of speech by threatening them with termination if they exercise it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Good job ignoring my point. If I violated my workplace internet polices, I'd get fired. In the example you gave, the officer got to resign and is now a manager in corrections. He obviously got a good reference.

But I do agree that police often charge people with BS charges because they're too lazy to do a complete investigation. At least we agree on that.

Change your workplace, don't whine at others that your employer is poo poo.

Or let me rephrase, no employer should be lovely. Correct way of reaching this is not to make more employers more poo poo, but to make more employers less poo poo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Change your workplace, don't whine at others that your employer is poo poo.

You have serious reading comprehension issues.

Edit: Only a cop would call "getting fired for a fireable offense" a poo poo employer.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Damiya posted:

@katherinemiller: Confirmed: The charity on the new Darren Wilson GoFundMe page and the local police union share the same address https://bzfd.it/1vtHQoO

:catstare:

So what's the story here? Besides the implication that his own dept will not be able to investigate him fairly (which is major, but also obvious), is there something I'm missing?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Trabisnikof posted:

Ask anyone who Dillon Taylor is was.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Edit: Only a cop would call "getting fired for a fireable offense" a poo poo employer.

Maybe you should consider the fact that a lot of people in the private sector do not get fired for "fireable offences" and that a lot of people believe, including me, that people should not be fired in most cases at all, despite their violations.

You are here literally arguing that police departments allow everything and no discipline is enforced and they are not, in fact, regular workplaces, but actually anarchist and villainy complexes where evil oppressors just do what they please all day every day.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 23, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Vahakyla posted:

Maybe you should consider the fact that a lot of people in the private sector do not get fired for fireable offences and that a lot of people believe, including me, that people should not be fired in most cases at all, despite their violations.

I think a happy medium could be presented here. I think it's a bit too easy for somebody to lose their jobs nowadays, and most employers lord employment over you as a privilege that they are generously granting you, rather than a mutually beneficial service you are both providing. But so long as there are more unemployed people than jobs, and there's more incentive for companies to value bottom lines over employee retention and skilled labor forces, that's not gonna change.

It is evidence more of the corrupt fraternity nature of police and law enforcement that it is so difficult to be fired from those jobs, rather than any particularly beneficient or enlightened attitude towards mistakes in the workplace. Strange, too, that when an office worker makes a mistake, very rarely does somebody die--this is not so much the case with police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I think a happy medium could be presented here. I think it's a bit too easy for somebody to lose their jobs nowadays, and most employers lord employment over you as a privilege that they are generously granting you, rather than a mutually beneficial service you are both providing. But so long as there are more unemployed people than jobs, and there's more incentive for companies to value bottom lines over employee retention and skilled labor forces, that's not gonna change.

It is evidence more of the corrupt fraternity nature of police and law enforcement that it is so difficult to be fired from those jobs, rather than any particularly beneficient or enlightened attitude towards mistakes in the workplace. Strange, too, that when an office worker makes a mistake, very rarely does somebody die--this is not so much the case with police.

Except office workers can put tax money to safe havens, skirt responsibility and mass fire people who are providing to their families. Big companies can literally kill tons of people and endanger plenty more and the only repercussion is a bonus to your bank account. In inherited companies, the children of the owner gently caress around with the pick up truck, break safety regulations and endanger their fellow employees. The list goes on forever. The private sector, especially in the United States, ensures that the bottom gets hosed with extra hard and the top gets to be horrible.

Public employees no matter what their profession, on average, have an assload of more protection and stability than private jobs here. Some of them, such as police, allow for situations where a killer is not penalized due to the inherent nature of the protections, sometimes built on morally questionable ground. But this also comes from the nature of policing, which leaves violent contact to the table, unlike being the garbage truck driver for the city or being a city nurse.

The person I responded to originally argued that the article of that officer facebooking on the job is a special case and no other workplace would allow for this who has similar restrictions.
I understand the flaws of the police in the United States and I agree with reforms necessary to make it stop. Hell, I went on and on for pages about that in this thread.

What I can't just ignore is that when actual adults say, with a straight face, that "look daddy, those cops get to do EVERYTHING; I mean EVERYTHING and I do not get to do anything". That is like a little kid whining how he never gets ice cream and the neighbor gets every hour. It just simply is not true.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 23, 2014

• Locked thread