Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I used the ichor once but for the most part the game was fair in its difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

Have you played Shovel Knight? Get the two Ichor chalices, get them filled with the red Ichor from the Trouple. Learn the level so you don't have to use the red Ichor (fills your health and magic), then use the phase locket (the item that makes you invincible for 3 seconds) as much as needed while fighting the plague knight.

Or are you just posting an FYAD style non-sequitur?

what the gently caress are you talking about

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Trent posted:

I didn't get any Ichor until right before the final stage of the game. I guess I made my own hardmode?

Definitely. You meet the Trouple after you clear the first stage, and he gives you whatever Ichor you want for the rest of the game.

Edit:

Austrian mook posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

Stop playing the game. Everything I said should make sense by the Plague Knight, or you are just being an rear end.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Ichor isn't all that necessary during the regular game, but fuuuuuck it is a lifesaver in New Game Plus. Since all the drat chickens turn into bombs :argh:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Welp he's done, I don't know what this Ichor stuff is but I clearly don't need it :cool:

E: I didn't notice I had healing items until like the final boss of Metal Gear Rising.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

Welp he's done, I don't know what this Ichor stuff is but I clearly don't need it :cool:

E: I didn't notice I had healing items until like the final boss of Metal Gear Rising.

The big fish. He spits Ichor into your cups. There are 3 Ichors, but the red one (fills your health and magic) is the only one you should get. Use it to beat the Plague Knight. It's the reason you have two silver chalices in your inventory.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fremry posted:

It's the reason you have two silver chalices in your inventory.

That poo poo ain't free, son!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Go in the town and buy poo poo from everyone, and often

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

The big fish. He spits Ichor into your cups. There are 3 Ichors, but the red one (fills your health and magic) is the only one you should get. Use it to beat the Plague Knight. It's the reason you have two silver chalices in your inventory.

what fish?

mabels big day posted:

Go in the town and buy poo poo from everyone, and often

I spent all my money on magic upgrades and a new suit of armor at this new town

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Austrian mook posted:

what fish?

You are now trolling us. Go back to the first town on the map and go right twice. A fish lives there.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Mercury Crusader posted:

I was able to grab a headset for the console at about $5 a while back, and it looks like you still can. It's the closest thing to an official headset I suppose, what with it being licensed (Seal of Approval and all) and being in similar blue and white packaging as all the other official accessories.

The speakers are fine, but I can't vouch for the microphone as I haven't really played with it online. I don't even know what games actually support voice chat.

EDIT: Speaking of microphones, you can grab SiNG Party with the microphone for about $16 at Best Buy, Amazon, or Wal-Mart. I dunno if it's any good but I figure you can find it cheaper at like maybe a K-Mart or some other dying retailer.

I might pick these up because, ya know, why the hell not. May make playing ZombiU a traumatizing experience instead of a mildly scary one.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Plague Knight is definitely the one with the most erratic attacks, though. That's why he's the coolest boss :3:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
It's okay Austrian mook, I don't blame you for being purposefully dense.
For real though, you don't need ichor to beat this game, and you especially don't need it to beat Plague Knight. He's the easiest boss past King and Specter.

I kinda' wish I hadn't tried to do a no-death and no-money-spent run at the same time. :smith:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Austrian mook posted:

what fish?

Check this walkthrough, it's pretty obvious

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Fremry posted:

Honestly, there's not nearly enough news to keep this thread going on a daily basis. (Please don't attack me) As has been noted, we're pretty much relegated to first-party news which happens every 2 weeks to 3 months because of the lack of third party support, so we have Nintendo first party news, updates for the eShop, updates of club nintendo and rehashing the same discussions about the games that are already out.

(Again, please do not attack me)

This thread isn't a Wii U news only thread. Funny you complaining about rehashing the same discussions when "no third party support is Wii U in financial trouble" has to be the most talked to death topic in the thread. It's like 12 hours later and you wont let this go.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RadicalR posted:

You are now trolling us. Go back to the first town on the map and go right twice. A fish lives there.

I promise you, I never found the fish. I will go back t some point

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.
Do we have any idea when Shovel Knight is coming to EU? I really want to play it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Mid-late September" is the latest estimate, but that's assuming they pass cert on their first try.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Bruceski posted:

World 1 is rather weak, the game picks up after that. And I mean from about level 2-2 on, not ten hours in or anything.

You were right about this. NSMBU is easily the best of the NSMB series. I can see why it may have rung hollow with some but I love it so far The level design feels genuinely interesting in a lot of spots and that's something I felt much of the NSMB games have been lacking for. Nice to see they stepped up their game.

I picked up the first NES Remix because I played 2 on a friend's system before I got mine. The rainbow star times in 1 feel a lot stricter. Some of these require either really great execution or strategies I just have not yet thought of. I feel like 2 is better (especially because of the replay feature) but this is fun too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ultigonio posted:

and you especially don't need it to beat Plague Knight. He's the easiest boss past King and Specter.

Tinker Knight's the easiest. Not only can his first form be one shot with the buzz saw platform item, but his second form is literally just "jump on his head until he's dead". You have to almost try to get hurt on that fight.

He is the best knight however

Hardest knight is Polar Knight, that rear end in a top hat :argh:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Shovel Knight doesn't actually exist, it is a video game. Nerds!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Nolgthorn posted:

Shovel Knight doesn't actually exist, it is a video game. Nerds!

I'm not a nerd! I'm a cute gamer! Cute. Gamer.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Tinker Knight's the easiest. Not only can his first form be one shot with the buzz saw platform item, but his second form is literally just "jump on his head until he's dead". You have to almost try to get hurt on that fight.

He is the best knight however

Hardest knight is Polar Knight, that rear end in a top hat :argh:

Seriously? I've reflected the Tinker Knight's shots back at him every time we've fought. I guess if I use the phase locket I can get through screen of shots to do the head bounce...

Hardest knight is obviously the propeller knight since any slip up there is fatal. He's the current wall in my rush the game run. Doesn't help that on that I the phase locket and one chalice are the entire contents of my inventory.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I can't think of a more annoying final boss than the final boss of DKCTF. This is not a fun fight. Landing jumps on him is inconsistent at best. It seems to e a 50/50 chance in dealing damage or taking damage. And all the bullshit you have to sit through before getting another three opportunities to hurt him is loving obnoxious. I don't even feel like wasting the time to finish this game now. I had fun from the start to this point. :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I agree, except I think most of the bosses, not just the last one, are bullshit and a black mark on an otherwise excellent game. This polar bear I'm stuck on is bullshit. The owl was bullshit and took forever. The seal was bullshit and took forever. The babboon guy was bullshit and took forever. Even the ones that aren't too difficult are just tedious as gently caress.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Tedious is a great word to describe the boss fights in this game. Just wait til you get to the end of world 6. This fight is awful. I'd rather play the boss fights that were in DEHR when it released than play this dumb fight. I want a patch that makes boss fights optional. :colbert:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah, the bosses on the whole are really bad, which is kind of a shame because I'm pretty sure Tropical Freeze is the first game where Retro didn't give a boss a shockwave attack for no goddamn reason.

Wildtortilla posted:

I can't think of a more annoying final boss than the final boss of DKCTF. This is not a fun fight. Landing jumps on him is inconsistent at best. It seems to e a 50/50 chance in dealing damage or taking damage. And all the bullshit you have to sit through before getting another three opportunities to hurt him is loving obnoxious. I don't even feel like wasting the time to finish this game now. I had fun from the start to this point. :(

If it's worth anything, all you're missing after the final boss is World 7, which only has three levels and has to be unlocked by clearing all the K levels. Once you clear those three levels, you unlock Hard Mode, which lets you play the game with only one kong per level (you choose), one heart, and no checkpoints. You're honestly not missing much, and I wouldn't blame you for stopping there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought the bosses were ok but getting gold medals in their time trials is a pain because everything needs to go pretty much perfectly

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah, the bosses in Tropical Freeze have the worst combination of taking way too long (9 loving hits jesus) and forcing you to wait until you can hit them. Which is a shame cause thematically all the fights are interesting. The final boss's thing where he blows a horn and the ice dragon bird thing attacks is cool. It's just... it goes on forever...

It's a good thing the rest of the game is so insanely good.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Holy poo poo I just did it! Felt good punching that retard into orbit.

I figured out the trick to landing on him is to jump in the direction he's running. The fight is still bullshit. So now I have to grab all the kong pieces to unlock world 7? What do puzzles contribute to? Just something to collect?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Puzzle pieces just unlock concept art and dioramas if you get enough of them per world. You need to get KONG in every level of each world to unlock the K levels, then clear all of the K levels to unlock the final world.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Those games (basically anything based on DMC) are designed to beaten on every difficulty level without using healing items anyway. They're a crutch in case you need them and usually tank your rating in games that have that sort of system.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The first time I played Kingdom Hearts I hoarded all the stat boost items. Then I lost to shadow Riku like 20 times, realized I had them and that not using them was utterly pointless, and proceeded to wipe the floor with him.

Sometimes the life of a video game item hoarder is a long and difficult one...

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I didn't see anyone mention this yet (but maybe I missed it, and maybe YMMV): Target has a deal going where if you buy a NSMBU Wii U bundle, you get the Lego Movie game for free. If that is the tipping point for anyone getting a Wii U, the deal ends today.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Italax posted:

Do we have any idea when Shovel Knight is coming to EU? I really want to play it.

PaletteSwappedNinja already mentioned the "mid-late September" date, just wanted to mention you are a smart person for wanting to play this game. Shovel Knight does a great job of having solid gameplay with multiple ways to beat challenges. I really want to try a challenge run without using any relics or anything.

13/f/cali posted:

You were right about this. NSMBU is easily the best of the NSMB series. I can see why it may have rung hollow with some but I love it so far The level design feels genuinely interesting in a lot of spots and that's something I felt much of the NSMB games have been lacking for. Nice to see they stepped up their game.

I picked up the first NES Remix because I played 2 on a friend's system before I got mine. The rainbow star times in 1 feel a lot stricter. Some of these require either really great execution or strategies I just have not yet thought of. I feel like 2 is better (especially because of the replay feature) but this is fun too.

Definitely agree with NSMBU being really high-quality, it's just a shame it didn't lead with its best. Check out New Super Luigi Bros U if you liked it, I think the faster pace makes it something people can get into quicker.

Also you're right about NES Remix. I still think the first one is good enough that people should get it, but the second is more polished and definitely a lot more lenient.

-----

Looking at our very nice OP, there are a number of games coming out "Summer 2014" I haven't heard much about. Does anyone know about Nihilumbra, Siesta Fiesta, Tengami, or Wooden Sensey?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Morby posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but I've always really enjoyed worlds 3 and 4 of SMB3 and I liked the frog suit a lot!

I like them, too. In fact, I did the entire game with the frog suit. But world 3 and learning to use the frog suit is a big hurdle for people who haven't played Mario 3 before.

Not as bad as the start of world 8, of course...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Just a note in regards to the Tropical Freeze Final Boss:

Dixie is a good partner on your first attempt for the Yellow Hearts so that you can learn his attacks and his attack pattern.

Once you know how his attacks work, both Diddy and Cranky are better partners to take with you into this boss fight. Cranky's cane practically increases the size of the boss's hitbox when he charges at you and he is your best bet for getting the Shiny Gold Medal (of course, Cranky is the best partner for quickly clearing bosses in general once you've got their attacks down), and if you still have issues hitting the boss, Diddy can make use of his jetpack to keep DK in the air until the right moment (as well as letting you correct errors in your jumping for some of his other attacks).

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So is there any sort of "signal booter" or something that can improve the connection between the WiiU and the tablet across a longer distance? There may be 20ft between them and my connection hangs up and becomes unstable if I try to use the tablet in my room. Sort of a bummer because the idea of playing NSMBU or MK8 from bed is pretty appealing.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Morby posted:

So is there any sort of "signal booter" or something that can improve the connection between the WiiU and the tablet across a longer distance? There may be 20ft between them and my connection hangs up and becomes unstable if I try to use the tablet in my room. Sort of a bummer because the idea of playing NSMBU or MK8 from bed is pretty appealing.

No. Long answer is it's probably possible theoretically, but what you'll be looking for is a repeater rather than a booster. Something that accepts signal transmission and then broadcasts it again, if you find a mad scientist who has built one for the Wii U make sure you test for input delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

No. Long answer is it's probably possible theoretically, but what you'll be looking for is a repeater rather than a booster. Something that accepts signal transmission and then broadcasts it again, if you find a mad scientist who has built one for the Wii U make sure you test for input delay.

Well that kinda sucks. The temporary solution seems to be opening my closet door. The TV is on the opposite wall and the door is made of aluminum, so maybe that was blocking the signal.

• Locked thread