Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
It was Outnumbered! Thanks scamtank!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I swear I've seen the exact pose from that poster on the right on a title screen or cover art or something (the other one looks familiar to). Any ideas?

e: As in, they traced it from something.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 8, 2014

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
An old survival game from the 90's and it was in first person I think and you had to craft your own arrowheads out of flint by chipping away at them and they were PIECES OF poo poo THAT ALWAYS BROKE.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

circ dick soleil posted:

An old survival game from the 90's and it was in first person I think and you had to craft your own arrowheads out of flint by chipping away at them and they were PIECES OF poo poo THAT ALWAYS BROKE.

I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same game, but I've been looking for a similar one for ages. I think you were a caveman. There was a definite element of carving things like spears and arrow heads (specifically, you had to click the shape) out of pieces of poo poo that always broke. You also had to go through a shitload of ointment. I think there was 2D combat. It was also something I played in the 90s.

Sound familiar or are we thinking of completely different things? I can't remember anything else about the game which is why I haven't asked about it before. Sorry to kinda jump on your post if it's different.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Yeah I think that was it.

vvvvvv Thanks! vvvvvv

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 9, 2014

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I believe that was Sapiens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55LwYXlQEZU

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Spot on, thanks from me as well.

Elleape
Jul 3, 2007
I think this was a PC only game, late 80s or early 90s, first person sort of view, point-n-click adventure/puzzle with a similar style as Myst but this was more of a futuristic look. I recall starting in an apartment and the name Dragon or Dagon or some such?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Elleape posted:

I think this was a PC only game, late 80s or early 90s, first person sort of view, point-n-click adventure/puzzle with a similar style as Myst but this was more of a futuristic look. I recall starting in an apartment and the name Dragon or Dagon or some such?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/rise-of-the-dragon

Elleape
Jul 3, 2007

Thank you!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I think there was a 16bit-era game where you upgraded an RC car, and it was similar to rock and roll racing. I don't know if it was Megadrive or SNES. I think the best electric engine was 'Gold' or gold colored. I played it in a timeshare resort in Mildura, Australia in the 90s. Any ideas?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

d3rt posted:

I think there was a 16bit-era game where you upgraded an RC car, and it was similar to rock and roll racing. I don't know if it was Megadrive or SNES. I think the best electric engine was 'Gold' or gold colored. I played it in a timeshare resort in Mildura, Australia in the 90s. Any ideas?

Sounds kinda like Radical Psycho Machine Racing (RPM Racing). It's the precursor to Rock and Roll Racing, made by the same people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JFofJsuEFM

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
An old Mac game from way back when. You were in command of a human ship that came back to find Earth enslaved and had to go out and get allies to free Earth. I seem to remember it being top-down.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Star Control II?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, that's definitely Star Control 2. There was an enhanced 3DO version with better music and full voice acting, among other things. That version is now freeware and is available for most modern OSes.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It actually isn't Star Control II, though I can definitely see how my description was basically that :v:

I remember the game being more mission-based, like "That planet is being defended by two enemy battleships. One of our allied races has sent seven corvettes to help us free it. Lead them in!" and then you switch your control between the ships in the fleet and give orders while everything goes in real-time. This was back in the mid 90s, so my memory is somewhat rusty. I seem to remember the human ship being this tiny teal thing with stubby wings.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar
How about the Escape Velocity series, which were originally Mac based? Top down space games, open world but it had missions that were kinda like that.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Forgedbow posted:

How about the Escape Velocity series, which were originally Mac based? Top down space games, open world but it had missions that were kinda like that.

No, but you saying that made something click in my mind. The game I was thinking of was Ares, by the same company that made the Escape Velocity games (which I loved as a kid).

So, thanks! Mission accomplished!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Freakazoid_ posted:

Sounds kinda like Radical Psycho Machine Racing (RPM Racing). It's the precursor to Rock and Roll Racing, made by the same people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JFofJsuEFM

Thanks but no this isn't it. I just tried R.P.M. Racing out and it's not RC cars, and not what I remember. Thanks for trying to help though!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d3rt posted:

Biker Mice from Mars?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Sadly no. I've searched the internet before and can't find anything that matches my memories. Maybe I just imagined it. It really seemed like there was a 'gold electric engine' to upgrade to, and they were cars.

It could have been a real arcade cabinet, but I remember that the rec room at this resort were all consoles inside arcade cabinets, and the controls were wired to arcade controls.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc32xqCBiG0

Pneub posted:

I swear I've seen the exact pose from that poster on the right on a title screen or cover art or something (the other one looks familiar to). Any ideas?

e: As in, they traced it from something.

Also, you're an rear end in a top hat - it really looks familiar and now I'm trying to think of it! Some kind of Amiga-era two-player scifi shooter or something, one of the characters in a kind of flying back action shot. It's kind of a standard war bros got each others backs pose, but that's just ringing a bell for some reason

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 13, 2014

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

d3rt posted:

Sadly no. I've searched the internet before and can't find anything that matches my memories. Maybe I just imagined it. It really seemed like there was a 'gold electric engine' to upgrade to, and they were cars.

It could have been a real arcade cabinet, but I remember that the rec room at this resort were all consoles inside arcade cabinets, and the controls were wired to arcade controls.

You can upgrade your engine in Super Offroad Racing and the cars are small like RC cars which is how I always thought of them.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
RPG game, still in development (or at least it was in the last year), Baldur's Gate looking graphics, a few different classes (five I think) you could start as; soldier, thief, merchant, noble, poo poo along those lines. Each one has a different starting story and different quests they can do, all revealing different parts of story and whatnot.

When I played it was just the one town and a few periphery locations (bandit camp, a mine, that's about it).

I remember there's a quest to kill a competing shaman or wise man or whatever they called themselves (they like identify old things left behind by a great civilization that collapsed hundreds of years ago). I cornered him and told him to gently caress off and get out of town. He thanked me, then ratted me out. Later he came back to reveal the artifact I was trying to sell to the duke was a fake (should have just killed him!).

The thief or pickpocket plot line involved trying to steal a shipment of gold from the local merchants.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 19, 2014

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Moridin920 posted:

RPG game, still in development (or at least it was in the last year), Baldur's Gate looking graphics, a few different classes (five I think) you could start as; soldier, thief, merchant, noble, poo poo along those lines. Each one has a different starting story and different quests they can do, all revealing different parts of story and whatnot.

When I played it was just the one town and a few periphery locations (bandit camp, a mine, that's about it).

I remember there's a quest to kill a competing shaman or wise man or whatever they called themselves (they like identify old things left behind by a great civilization that collapsed hundreds of years ago). I cornered him and told him to gently caress off and get out of town. He thanked me, then ratted me out. Later he came back to reveal the artifact I was trying to sell to the duke was a fake (should have just killed him!).

The thief or pickpocket plot line involved trying to steal a shipment of gold from the local merchants.

Age of Decadence? http://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah! thanks

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

GaoGaoStegosaurus posted:

I've been looking for a game for years; kudos to anyone who can name it:

It was a PC pre-Windows overhead-view vector graphics multiplayer 'tank' game. Your tank was a triangle. You could buy weapons at the end each level, such as spread-shot, etc. It could be played with at least two players using the same keyboard. There were computer controlled players that could be added.

Sounds like tank wars or scorched earth to me.

There were like 10,000 rip offs of that theme at the time though. On a scale of 1 to lovely how lovely was it? It's really the only way to identify the title. My best guess is tank wars though, since you said the tank was a triangle.

Tank wars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enb31wlwk6Q

Sorched earth:

Ostrava fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 21, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I don't think the guy who posted in 2008 is still actively watching this thread, but those games aren't an overhead view or feature triangles, or vector graphics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah scorched earth comes up often here but "vector graphics" makes me think of more like battlezone.

But yeah that post is olddddd.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Cheez posted:

I don't think the guy who posted in 2008 is still actively watching this thread, but those games aren't an overhead view or feature triangles, or vector graphics.

Probably but I didn't see anyone ever answer him and I loved those games as a kid. Besides I'm allowed to fail a bit, this is the internet.

Ostrava fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 21, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ostrava posted:

Besides I'm allowed to fail a bit, this is the internet.

You're allowed yeah, nobody's gonna probate you for replying to an old post, but its still foolish.

Bad newbie. Take your criticism and move on. Learn and post better :downs:

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

You're allowed yeah, nobody's gonna probate you for replying to an old post, but its still foolish.

Bad newbie. Take your criticism and move on. Learn and post better :downs:

Ahhhh.... poo poo post =*( live and learn.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I'm trying to remember the name of a source mod from some time between 2007 and 2010. I only played about an hour of it but I'm fairly certain it was a fully fleshed out single player mod. The protagonist was a guy with some kind of mental disorder and it began with you waking up in your house, answering the phone and then walking to work. I think you might have been called Alexander or something similar? I know this is all very vague, but for the time it was pretty good looking for the source engine and my lovely old computer couldn't run it properly.
I may be mixing it up with another mod I played at the same time but there was a bit where you walk into a room and hallucinate that the floor is falling away beneath you in chunks and you have to get to the other side without falling to your death.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Cerebulon posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a source mod from some time between 2007 and 2010. I only played about an hour of it but I'm fairly certain it was a fully fleshed out single player mod. The protagonist was a guy with some kind of mental disorder and it began with you waking up in your house, answering the phone and then walking to work. I think you might have been called Alexander or something similar? I know this is all very vague, but for the time it was pretty good looking for the source engine and my lovely old computer couldn't run it properly.
I may be mixing it up with another mod I played at the same time but there was a bit where you walk into a room and hallucinate that the floor is falling away beneath you in chunks and you have to get to the other side without falling to your death.

Get a Life?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I just played a board game at my local gaming group and, like the schmuck I am, forgot to note the title of the game before leaving. It's a Euro-style "build an economy, then use that economy to buy points" game; players play as the Japanese, Egyptians, Romans, and "Barbarians" (pretty clearly Mongols). Each player has a personal deck of civ-appropriate buildings, and there's a communal deck of cards too; then there's resources (wood, stone, food, gold, swords, shields) for building cards, destroying cards, protecting cards from being destroyed, etc.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I just played a board game at my local gaming group and, like the schmuck I am, forgot to note the title of the game before leaving. It's a Euro-style "build an economy, then use that economy to buy points" game; players play as the Japanese, Egyptians, Romans, and "Barbarians" (pretty clearly Mongols). Each player has a personal deck of civ-appropriate buildings, and there's a communal deck of cards too; then there's resources (wood, stone, food, gold, swords, shields) for building cards, destroying cards, protecting cards from being destroyed, etc.

I'm not sure... but...

Civilization: The Board Game?

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Okay I have two from the way-back machine. One is definitely Atari era, it might've even been an early D&D title except I don't think there were video games in that IP yet. It was dungeon crawl-y if I remember correctly, and there were a ton of class selections. I remember specifically "Friar" being one of them which I always found hilarious as a kid, I don't know why. I also remember it being advertised in the back of comic books. That's all I got, sorry.

Another is the C64 era, it was top-down, and it was RPG-ish as in you had an inventory, had to deal with keys and locked doors and fighting bad guys. You controlled a team of like, I dunno, future cyber mercenaries. You had a couple fighty guys and a couple floaty robot sphere guys and the very start of the game was trying to infiltrate this ship except I was always really bad at it and got my guys killed. You could control your guys individually which was important because some of the door and key puzzles required having one guy go do something and bring it back to the others. This was in color, and the word "Enigma" was in either the title, or possibly a character name.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Okay I have two from the way-back machine. One is definitely Atari era, it might've even been an early D&D title except I don't think there were video games in that IP yet. It was dungeon crawl-y if I remember correctly, and there were a ton of class selections. I remember specifically "Friar" being one of them which I always found hilarious as a kid, I don't know why. I also remember it being advertised in the back of comic books. That's all I got, sorry.

Tower of Doom for the Intellivision.

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Another is the C64 era, it was top-down, and it was RPG-ish as in you had an inventory, had to deal with keys and locked doors and fighting bad guys. You controlled a team of like, I dunno, future cyber mercenaries. You had a couple fighty guys and a couple floaty robot sphere guys and the very start of the game was trying to infiltrate this ship except I was always really bad at it and got my guys killed. You could control your guys individually which was important because some of the door and key puzzles required having one guy go do something and bring it back to the others. This was in color, and the word "Enigma" was in either the title, or possibly a character name.

Shadowfire/Enigma Force?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 23, 2014

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Tower of Doom for the Intellivision.

Shadowfire/Enigma Force?

Holy poo poo you're good, yes to both of those. Was Shadowfire insanely difficult or was it because I was like, six years old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ostrava posted:

Probably but I didn't see anyone ever answer him and I loved those games as a kid. Besides I'm allowed to fail a bit, this is the internet.

By the way, the game was Destruction Zone/D-Zone, and it was ducking awesome.