Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

davey4283 posted:

Anybody know how to stop sites from redirecting to the mobile view?

I'm on a brand new galaxy tab s3 running 4.4.2.

Edit, or let me know if there's a better thread for this question. Thanks.

If you're using Chrome, there's a setting to request the Desktop version under the menu (3 dots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Of course there are especially lovely sites that somehow use even more insidious methods to determine mobileness and for those, that option will have no effect. You'll run into these sooner or later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Or you get the ones where it automatically redirects you to m.shittywebsite.com. Heaven help you if the mobile site has an entirely different URL structure from the main website. Good luck getting back to the desktop site.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

kitten smoothie posted:

Of course there are especially lovely sites that somehow use even more insidious methods to determine mobileness and for those, that option will have no effect. You'll run into these sooner or later.
Are you referring to sites that use Responsive Web Design?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Merkinman posted:

Are you referring to sites that use Responsive Web Design?

No, those are nice.

The worst are the ones that use media queries or something not to reformat the same content, but to trigger JS redirects to a cut down version on m.crappysite.com.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I think the Bank of America website does that. I just want to see my rewards points on my mobile device you assholes!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

In Chrome there is "request desktop site".

This works aswell if you use Opera where you can select between mobile and desktop versions.

revolther
May 27, 2008
You could also try various user agent swapping apps, I believe chrome does request desktop on a per site basis.

If you're looking for something more permanent.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
According to this, a Nexus 9 tablets may have an nVidia SoC. What's the general feeling of nVidia's SoCs compared with Qualcomm's?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 27, 2014

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

According to this, a Nexus 9 tablets may have an nVidia SoC. What's the general feeling of nVidia's SoCs compared with Qualcomm's?

There's a reason goons are leery of Nvidia nowadays.

The Tegra 2 was practically abandoned by Nvidia around the time ICS came out, and received no software support from them whatsoever. The Tegra 3 was a buggy mess that also received little support from Nvidia and only got community support because the 2012 N7 used that SoC.

I haven't heard anything on the Tegra 4, but that's because practically no one adopted that SoC. That's pretty telling in itself.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

anakha posted:

There's a reason goons are leery of Nvidia nowadays.

The Tegra 2 was practically abandoned by Nvidia around the time ICS came out, and received no software support from them whatsoever. The Tegra 3 was a buggy mess that also received little support from Nvidia and only got community support because the 2012 N7 used that SoC.

I haven't heard anything on the Tegra 4, but that's because practically no one adopted that SoC. That's pretty telling in itself.

That's what I thought - is this rumour likely to be bullshit, or would Google really stick a Tegra 4 in there?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's what I thought - is this rumour likely to be bullshit, or would Google really stick a Tegra 4 in there?

Take note that the Tegra K1 mentioned in the article is different from the Tegra 4.

That being said, if the rumor is true, I'll be waiting to see what bugs people report about the Nexus tablet before I even consider buying it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

WattsvilleBlues posted:

TEGRA 2 got abandoned pretty quickly and had driver problems that never got resolved, leading to a bunch of devices that never got a gingerbread to ics upgrade. The 3 was rather disappointing in terms of performance.

So yeah, not exactly the best track record.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

anakha posted:

People seem pretty happy with the T4, but as noted it's only in a few tablets + the Shield portable.

Likely Google would be using the K1, it's considered very powerful and already in a few devices (Shield tablet + Chinese tablet + ADT-1 + upcoming Chromebook, possibly a min spec for Android TV). If it's the K1 that's a good thing, the SOC is solid, powerful and likely to be well supported (as shown by early wide Android/Linux adoption).

Supposedly this is running on a K1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8214/nvidia-and-epic-games-showcase-the-power-of-tegra-k1-with-unreal-engine-4-rivalry-demo

Although I have been unable to replicate it on my K1 yet. It's possible that's also the 64bit K1 while I have the 32bit K1 and they also added significant extra cooling to the board.

There's a video explaining about it here:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?32546-Profiling-Tips-and-Tricks-by-Martin-Mittring-from-Epic

In short the K1 looks to be awesome for Android.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 28, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Not sure what the big deal is. The longest-supported device in Android history has a Tegra in it.

The K1 has some pretty impressive performance, too.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

butt dickus posted:

Not sure what the big deal is. The longest-supported device in Android history has a Tegra in it.

The K1 has some pretty impressive performance, too.

I have a K1 device and it has incredible performance except for Unreal Engine games (supposedly a fix is coming soon).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

butt dickus posted:

This would be a lot more impressive if some of the shortest-supported devices didn't also have a Tegra...and the explicit reason for the length of time those devices got updates was the Tegra.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Why would Google make a game with this in that case? Why not just stick with Qualcomm stuff?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

This would be a lot more impressive if some of the shortest-supported devices didn't also have a Tegra...and the explicit reason for the length of time those devices got updates was the Tegra.
None of those were Nexus devices. I'm sure there are Exynos, Qualcomm and TI devices that never received updates, either. 2010 and 2011 were bad years for Android updates in general.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

butt dickus posted:

None of those were Nexus devices. I'm sure there are Exynos, Qualcomm and TI devices that never received updates, either. 2010 and 2011 were bad years for Android updates in general.

Which is why no one (except crazy people) would say that a Tegra powered Nexus device will be poo poo that will never receive updates. They say to be cautious. Which you should.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thermopyle posted:

Qualcomm and OMAP chipsets also show up in tons of very shortly supported devices.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's probably true that nVidia will be more invested in these platforms now that they have their own tablets running on them. But it's hard to say for sure.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Qualcomm and OMAP chipsets also show up in tons of very shortly supported devices.

Sure, and if they had a very recent1 track record of those devices stop receiving support because they stopped (or did so poorly) supporting their chipsets, they'd be equivalent to Nvidia in this regard.

Look, the question was why was anyone might be hesitant about Nvidia because they were in the longest-supported device. That factoid isn't as impressive when you also mention that they dropped support for chipsets, had poorly performing chipsets, and had poor support for chipsets that they hadn't technically dropped support for, and this is all on recent1 stuff. Even if other manufacturers were exactly the same (they're not), it's irrelevant to the question being answered.

I think K1 seems like a great chipset and I think it's possible that Nvidia will continue to support it for the few years necessary for people to get upgrades, but I certainly can't fault people for being cautious about it.

1As measured by generations of their chipsets.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I'll get to test it out myself. @ $299 (plus $59 for the controller too) , seems like a solid deal for an 8" Tegra K1 device. Really looking forward to trying the console mode on the Shield Tablet that will be arriving next week. If I like the feel of it, then I may even upgrade my router to try GameStream.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Is the Nexus 7 + BT keyboard combo still the go-to "taking notes in class" tablet choice? I'm considering selling some stuff to get one for grad school. My handwriting is cramped trash and I've got to find some digital way to keep up with things. I don't have a laptop, iPhone + BT keyboard would murder my eyes, and anything resembling a netbook screams "bad financial investment" to me.

Other potential uses for the tablet would be [lots of] PDF reading and maybe some DAW scratchpad work, but note-taking is the main concern here. TIA.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you absolutely need it now, Nexus 7 is good for reading PDFs and taking notes. I don't know when the Nexus 9 is supposed to come out, but that would be a bit better for notes and PDFs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zgrowler2 posted:

Is the Nexus 7 + BT keyboard combo still the go-to "taking notes in class" tablet choice? I'm considering selling some stuff to get one for grad school. My handwriting is cramped trash and I've got to find some digital way to keep up with things. I don't have a laptop, iPhone + BT keyboard would murder my eyes, and anything resembling a netbook screams "bad financial investment" to me.

Other potential uses for the tablet would be [lots of] PDF reading and maybe some DAW scratchpad work, but note-taking is the main concern here. TIA.
Why don't you get a Chromebook? All electronics are bad financial investments.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Great thing about the nexus 7 is that it is awesome and cheap. If you upgrade next year or so you will still have a solid tablet to do something with. Maybe install in your car or some other dedicated use.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

zgrowler2 posted:

Depending what kind of PDFs, a Nexus 7 might simply be too small. I'd recommend going to Best Buy and trying out a few open access articles or whatever is most similar to what you'll be reading. Try an iPad, iPad Mini, Nexus 7, and the assorted Windows tablets. Once you get a feel for the size you want, ask again about your best options in that size range.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Listen to this guy.

Chromebook is often a better choice for people thinking about a tablet + keyboard.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zgrowler2 posted:

Is the Nexus 7 + BT keyboard combo still the go-to "taking notes in class" tablet choice?
The only time I ever see this suggested is when Hadlock, a known idiot, posts about it. A Chromebook is a better option.

TraderStav posted:

Great thing about the nexus 7 is that it is awesome and cheap. If you upgrade next year or so you will still have a solid tablet to do something with. Maybe install in your car or some other dedicated use.
It's still a nice tablet but the car installation is a lot of effort for something that will never work quite right. Aftermarket Android Auto devices are supposed to be out later this year, too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

As the owner of a Chromebook and a Nexus 7, get the Chromebook.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When Chromebooks get Android app support, I think they're going to dominate the computer market

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't really think that chromebooks were still a thing because it seemed like an intermediary between netbooks and tablets. If they make them run android instead of ChromeOS or be able to run android apps, I might consider getting one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I didn't really think that chromebooks were still a thing because it seemed like an intermediary between netbooks and tablets. If they make them run android instead of ChromeOS or be able to run android apps, I might consider getting one.

Chromebooks are selling amazingly. The best selling laptop at Amazon is often a Chromebook.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thermopyle posted:

Chromebooks are selling amazingly. The best selling laptop at Amazon is often a Chromebook.

Because normal people buy laptops through things that aren't Amazon. Chromebooks in total are expected to reach sales of 6 million this year - about 55 million normal laptops sold in the first quarter of this year alone and 50 million tablets int he same timeframe.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because normal people buy laptops through things that aren't Amazon. Chromebooks in total are expected to reach sales of 6 million this year - about 55 million normal laptops sold in the first quarter of this year alone and 50 million tablets int he same timeframe.

And?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

Luckily you:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/25/5842454/chromebooks-running-android-apps-in-the-works

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I don't see how selling approximately 3% as much as laptops or approximately 4% as much as tablets over a year counts as "selling amazingly well" frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess I should mention I solved my 5Ghz wifi problem. My tablet is fine. DD-WRT is just poo poo. Switched to Tomato and I'm doing great.