Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The major problem with Gonzo's Hellsing is that the manga author was so slow that they ran out of material really early on. The OVA is a lot better.

Kind of an inverse JoJo situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tobaccrow posted:

Yeah. That was a good episode. It really hit home "Man, I read this part in the manga way too fast." for me. I also have no idea what the "Skip the intro, it has spoilers!" guy was on about, even though like I said, I read the manga back in the day.
I can't specify because that would actually be spoilers. The post was a bad joke about people getting mad about spoilers, even when there's no context. (Though there actually is a spoiler in the intro, skip it for your own sake!)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

:frogout:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah man that wasn't cool.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sindai posted:

Yeah man that wasn't cool.

No, I was talking about Hellsing, period. It's a bad manga, a bad OVA, and the TV show is the best thing that's ever come of it because it has that rad OP song and no Schrodinger.

I admit that mentioning it in the same breath as Gantz might be a little unfair.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, I was talking about Hellsing, period. It's a bad manga, a bad OVA, and the TV show is the best thing that's ever come of it because it has that rad OP song and no Schrodinger.

I admit that mentioning it in the same breath as Gantz might be a little unfair.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You are clearly insane.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Your opinion is wrong sorry

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The only thing I'm wrong about is that liking Jojo's isn't the sure-fire sign of good taste I thought and hoped it was.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only thing I'm wrong about is that liking Jojo's isn't the sure-fire sign of good taste I thought and hoped it was.

As you have shown, yes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only thing I'm wrong about

Genocyber posted:

As you have shown, yes

Good, I'm glad you agree about everything else. :v:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Watching Jojo does help you twist losing situations around to your own victory though, apparently.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

Watching Jojo does help you twist losing situations around to your own victory though, apparently.

Giving me a pedantic word puzzle is like giving Joseph a length of rope.

edit: Which makes Genocyber the Perfect Being, so really he comes out ahead in all of this.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 23, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Giving me a pedantic word puzzle is like giving Joseph a length of rope.

edit: Which makes Genocyber the Perfect Being, so really he comes out ahead in all of this.

No matter who wins, humanity loses.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Ghost posted:

I feel it helps that the main cast is just so solid. There's just something about these characters that I don't think the other parts (that I've read) have quite captured. The villains are really memorable too. The other parts also have a good cast and villains, but part 3 is just so memorable. I don't know what it is about it. Hell, this isn't even my favorite part.

It is because the stands and characters are pretty simple, in the end. The next parts have main characters of similar complexity but the enemies tend to be a bit more fleshed out and the stands are way, way more complicated and somehow not as memorable (although some of them are so loving weird as to be incredibly memorable, of course).

Personally, part 4 is my favorite, by far (best main characters, best villain, fights that aren't difficult to follow) followed by 7 then 3.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tobaccrow posted:

Yeah. That was a good episode. It really hit home "Man, I read this part in the manga way too fast." for me.

Same, I thought Judgment was a lot more creepy/menacing in the anime as well.

I like the reaction shot of him after Polnareff says he wants to become a comic book writer :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if later parts that DavidPro adapts will throw the type onto the Stand Stat pages.

Like, Star Platinum is a Short Range Stand, but Empress was Automatic.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The anime has a lot of great things the manga doesn't in this, the music, the visual effects, Cameo's voice. I mean you could say that for the other episodes as well but I think the stuff was stellar in this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder if later parts that DavidPro adapts will throw the type onto the Stand Stat pages.

Like, Star Platinum is a Short Range Stand, but Empress was Automatic.

It's notable for being a weird automatic stand. Almost all Automatic stands have the feature that in order to make up for not being able to directly control them, the user is exempt from the stand and the user share damage rule.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Sekkira posted:

You are clearly insane.
the hellsing anime had way better music and alexander's voice fit the character better than wakamoto's version in the ova

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the music in the TV series is way better. Also that Nazi dudes 'I love war' speech is basically the anime equivalent of the John Galt speech only somehow even more boring.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, the music in the TV series is way better. Also that Nazi dudes 'I love war' speech is basically the anime equivalent of the John Galt speech only somehow even more boring.

That scene is one of the best scenes from the series. The Major's English VA absolutely nails it.

And I don't know about the music but I remember nothing from the TV series, compared to the OVAs where I remember a couple of the themes.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
If for no other reason the Hellsing OVAs owned due to Alucard's zero level release. Seras finally Vamping out is second best reason.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Also that Nazi dudes 'I love war' speech is basically the anime equivalent of the John Galt speech

Yeah it's exactly the same in the sense that they're both speeches.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Long, boring speeches.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Relin posted:

the hellsing anime had way better music and alexander's voice fit the character better than wakamoto's version in the ova

I'm not saying it's perfect and has no flaws. I really liked the direction the anime took after they ran out of source material and could have easily transitioned smoothly back into the source material after the end.

I'm saying you'd be insane to think the manga, OVA or anime are terrible.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Genocyber posted:

That scene is one of the best scenes from the series. The Major's English VA absolutely nails it.

And I don't know about the music but I remember nothing from the TV series, compared to the OVAs where I remember a couple of the themes.

Check this out: I purchased the OSTs for the Hellsing anime.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The TV series' problem is that it took itself too seriously and tried to be all deep and symbolic and poo poo when it's just a series about an invincible vampire god tearing things in half.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sakurazuka posted:

Long, boring speeches.
Montana Max's speech is like two paragraphs tops. Have you ever seen the galt?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Holy poo poo shut up about Hellsing you loving sperglords

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Agreed. Let's talk about what there'd be at Polnareffland instead. I for one would love to ride the Enya's Haunted Mansion. Towards the end, you get to watch the Hanged Man creep up behind you in the haunted mirrors.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Now what would be the 'mouse ears';

His hair or the broken heart earrings?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

umalt posted:

Now what would be the 'mouse ears';

His hair or the broken heart earrings?

Can it be both?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Polnareff Tunnel of Love is the Sign of Friendship where you and your significant other elbow each other in the face.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just started watching Stardust Crusaders. I probably shouldn't be reading this thread honestly but Jojo spoilers aren't a huge deal since Jojo spoilers exist in everything.

The budget seems noticeably higher already which is awesome. Stands punching each other is cool but I do miss old fashioned man punching. Part 3 seems way more violent/body horrorish already, eye stabs and flesh bugs.

I don't understand Jotaro's hair, but I'm ok with that

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Just started watching Stardust Crusaders. I probably shouldn't be reading this thread honestly but Jojo spoilers aren't a huge deal since Jojo spoilers exist in everything.

The budget seems noticeably higher already which is awesome. Stands punching each other is cool but I do miss old fashioned man punching. Part 3 seems way more violent/body horrorish already, eye stabs and flesh bugs.

I don't understand Jotaro's hair, but I'm ok with that

The hat is fraying in the back if I remember correctly.

Also, part 3 is basically filled with Horror Movie references/schtick so it's pretty horror-y.

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010
So, 5 episodes left until the break now?

molokidan fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 24, 2014

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
My favorite part of this episode was that Polnareff's ideas for manga seemed to have a disproportionate number of smoking cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

molokidan posted:

So, 5 episodes left until the break now?

Three episodes left, tops.

• Locked thread