Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't usually toot my own horn but I logged in recently to see my claim has over 50 likes :smug:

Also some twitch streamer wants to interview me about my virtual house, should I do it?

Yeah of course!

One thing I'm having trouble with and it might just be because I'm dumb but how are people getting level claims? I laid one down that I thought should have been level but it wasn't. I don't really like the idea of part of my claim hovering in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I just logged in for the first time in about 2 or 3 months. Stuff looks about the same. Seems a lot more streamlined. Definitely a huge decrease in server activity though. I guess I should look for some caves then eh?

Christopher
May 29, 2006
For anyone who doesn't have a key yet you can get them over at mmorpg.com right now. About 15k left at the time of this posting.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
New patch arrived. No surprise really, but they did add a new feature. Guilds.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Nice might log in and check it out. Did they ever fix the join/leave messages in chat channels? Would have thought that would be patch 2 but whatever.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sancho posted:

Nice might log in and check it out. Did they ever fix the join/leave messages in chat channels? Would have thought that would be patch 2 but whatever.

I don't know. I only started playing last week. Still working on getting the basics.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Christopher posted:

For anyone who doesn't have a key yet you can get them over at mmorpg.com right now. About 15k left at the time of this posting.

Yikes, more than a week later there's still 8k left. Hopefully whatever they have to show at SOE Live generates some new interest in Landmark.

Also, Dave Georgeson tweeted earlier that the content patch that'll introduce combat won't happen on the 20th, but will most likely happen on the 27th. I'm pretty curious whether it will be just really barebones PvE stuff or whether it'll also introduce something cool like PvP on claims.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

itsnice2bnice posted:

Yikes, more than a week later there's still 8k left. Hopefully whatever they have to show at SOE Live generates some new interest in Landmark.

Also, Dave Georgeson tweeted earlier that the content patch that'll introduce combat won't happen on the 20th, but will most likely happen on the 27th. I'm pretty curious whether it will be just really barebones PvE stuff or whether it'll also introduce something cool like PvP on claims.

Hopefully they will also be clear (and honest) about how 'final' they consider whatever implementation drops, so people don't get the wrong ideas when it's inevitably simplistic/bad/etc.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
They're showing cool stuff like some PVP and combat coming to Landmark at SOE. Looking way more rad.

http://www.twitch.tv/soe

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Looks far more rad than what they showed of EQNext. Yikes.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Spiky Ooze posted:

They're showing cool stuff like some PVP and combat coming to Landmark at SOE. Looking way more rad.

http://www.twitch.tv/soe

aaaaand the archived videos from this are useless right now because 50+% of them are muted. Sorry Jeremy Soule, you don't have the rights to your own music, I guess! Who cares what you're saying!

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Yeah what the hell Twitch.

Here it is on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4LhnbOSxQ

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Fayk posted:

aaaaand the archived videos from this are useless right now because 50+% of them are muted. Sorry Jeremy Soule, you don't have the rights to your own music, I guess! Who cares what you're saying!

It's actually true, a lot of musicians/bands don't actually have broadcast rights to their own music as they are owned by the record label.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ModeSix posted:

It's actually true, a lot of musicians/bands don't actually have broadcast rights to their own music as they are owned by the record label.

Except jeremy soule owns his own label, sooo...

It is mostly twitch's new rights management thing buggering up. I recall that on the day it was implemented, some of twitch's own videos and ads were muted on their site because it used copyrighted music.

Has anyone told soe that their archives don't work because of the new rights management? I'm curious if this implementation will cause many companies that use them to jump to another service that offers similar features without their archives getting hit.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Harettazetta posted:

Looks far more rad than what they showed of EQNext. Yikes.

I'm lazy and traveling and can't find the video. What happened with next?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah what the hell Twitch.

Here it is on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4LhnbOSxQ

Racist cab driver remark at 34:12, good job Mark.

I needed a teleportation pad when I actually enjoyed this game.

Although arena pvp is boring, having the community building the arenas for you isn't such a bad idea. poo poo, if they had RvR and let players make whole continents to fight on, I'd even be excited.

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm lazy and traveling and can't find the video. What happened with next?

What they mainly showed with EQNext was Dark Elves and three classes. They went very in depth with classes but it was still underwhelming if that's all you watched. There were other panels that I watched where they did talk more and I will try to elaborate on everything I saw in a jumbled post.

Combat is action based. No targeting and you get a left click right click attack. In the class panel they showed how your base class will be augmented by classes and/or abilities you find you find in the game. A cool example they gave was called Dwarven Tenacity. So let's say you're really good at helping the dwarves out and you drink some 500 kegs of beer with them, the Dwarven faction will think your player is pretty cool and grant you a passive bonus of ++stat to something, I forget what.

Also you'll have a quest log book called a Rohsong which lets you know when events are occurring, how you've helped certain factions, etc.

During the Storybricks panel, they talked about how npcs will have desires and needs, and factions of npcs will band together and react to changes in the world, whether the player is there or not. All of the demos they showed were simulations and very similar to the Storybricks demo that was already on YouTube but cool nonetheless.

The Landmark keynote has gotten me excited again for this game but my hopes must be tempered. I like to build things but I'm not a master builder. I need combat and adventure. Last night for giggles I was exploring caves and was impressed with what the depth they've made but without combat it's been so meh. And even the combat they've shown was rough. Those death animations need some variety. :) still, it's interesting that the first "monsters" they want us to kill are each other by setting up pvp claims. It will be fun traveling hub to hub to find mini arenas.

Still, I'm looking forward to the 27th and beyond. The feeling I got after this is that they are mostly complete with their building tools, there may be bugs here or there but it's time to start rolling out the features they've been talking about since day one and that's exciting.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So having watched it all, do you think it's worth paying attention to EQNext again? I was super underwhelmed with last year's SOE Live reveal, and even less impressed the couple times I logged in to play Minecraft: Voxels 'n' Elves Edition.

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003

Kazak_Hstan posted:

So having watched it all, do you think it's worth paying attention to EQNext again? I was super underwhelmed with last year's SOE Live reveal, and even less impressed the couple times I logged in to play Minecraft: Voxels 'n' Elves Edition.

I think they're going to talk about Next more in the next few months and beyond like new classes or lore updates, but until they connect the islands in Landmark, they can't make give us an alpha for Next. Landmark is still incomplete but I'm gaining some hope that finally they're done with making an awesome building block game and going back to the fun mechanics of an MMO with combat and death. The cave systems are awesome to explore but the world is so lifeless without monsters. And the feedback we give them on combat should be same as how combat will be in Next, I would hope.

I'll be back on the 27th to let you know how I feel about that. :)

AtmaTheWanderer
Nov 6, 2003
FFXI Mithra Mangina
Pillbug
So I spent a good amount of time at SOE Live talking with the Devs, and really the jist I got was that the systems being laid out in Landmark are the fundamental groundwork for EQNext. The attitude of "You are watching us build it in front of you" is very true. I also did confirm with one - The dark elf demo shown was not smoke and mirrors, but actual code running on actual NPCs, not scripted. That made me the most curious, and reinforced to me that they've got something really, really special going on here.

Landmark is about to get crazy with the addition of PVP and weapons, then monsters, and then the 5 tiers of depth and exploration/danger aspect. All of them laid out are fundamental cornerstones of what they want to do it.

I've also coordinated with some of the devs about the inevitable EQN goon rush, and working together with them to make sure we both get the advantages we're looking for: being able to get all of our people unified, and what they're looking for: not completely devastating one of their server clusters. The person in question is "very interested" and "likes planning ahead for that sort of thing.", so we'll be exchanging emails about potential solutions. I've already decided that I'm going again next year as well. Trust me when I say this, they seem excited when they give the presentations, it's like a completely different animal when you talk to them. There is so much that you can tell that they WANT to tell you, but just aren't ready to.

Is it worth getting excited for? Yes. If you ride the train thinking only about EQ Next for the next year, will you burn out? Yes. I recommend simmering the excitement at a low heat on a back burner for a while until it starts getting more crazy, and I think either E3 or SoE Live 2015 is going to be when poo poo starts getting crazy.

AtmaTheWanderer fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 18, 2014

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That sounds fair. Honestly I still feel unjustifiably wronged by Smedley's whole 'something you can get your hands on - and I'm not talking about a beta' bait and switch. I will probably give it a look again whenever people get super hypy about it, if only to make things in the shape of penises.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's one thing to build a penis. It's another to give it purpose.

An arena where you take and hold penises.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
For you two who were at Live, how was the crowd? I have read elsewhere that the audience were not very enthusiastic, but i have no way of knowing what biases the people who wrote that were.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

I wasn't there and haven't watched any of the panels, but on the Landmark Live recap they showed this as one of SOE Live's highlights:

I'd ignore the hype stuff and just log in when there's something to actually check out in Landmark. EQN is a long way off and SOE recently stated that it probably won't be an early access product. Landmark is still the best opportunity to see whether EQN will be worth playing.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

itsnice2bnice posted:

I wasn't there and haven't watched any of the panels, but on the Landmark Live recap they showed this as one of SOE Live's highlights:

Holy poo poo, what a great Ogre costume! Did she win the cosplay grand prize or something?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

SymfonyMan posted:

Holy poo poo, what a great Ogre costume! Did she win the cosplay grand prize or something?

Phew, somebody posted a picture of a woman on the internet and everyone almost forgot to comment on whether or not they found her sexually desirable. Thanks for catching that for us.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry that you got mad, huffy and passive aggressive about your picture! Next time put a little more effort into your costume why don't ya?

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 23, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

OtspIII posted:

Phew, somebody posted a picture of a woman on the internet and everyone almost forgot to comment on whether or not they found her sexually desirable. Thanks for catching that for us.

Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

itsnice2bnice posted:

on the Landmark Live recap they showed this as one of SOE Live's highlights:

What is the context that makes this a highlight?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

The ponytailed man on the scooter is one of the lead devs. It was an example of the unique interaction that happens at SOE Live between fans and devs or something like that. I guess they thought it was a funny picture. I agree, but probably for different reasons.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002

OtspIII posted:

Are upset no one enjoyed your troll costume?

AtmaTheWanderer
Nov 6, 2003
FFXI Mithra Mangina
Pillbug
Sorry for the delay in response. So, here's my take.

I think it wasn't that the audience wasn't enthusiastic, it's just more so that, as many have said, there were no big reveals. So it was more socially awkward kind of thing, like they'd reveal the cleric, and then go into it, and then show it over again, and people would kind of clap.

I think it was more of a "... you.. do have.. more, right? This isn't it, is it?" situation. After the demos of last year, I think people were expecting more then just some prefab videos, they were expecting live controlled PCs running around the world.

Don't get me wrong, there was content and it was nice to see, and it's obvious that things are coming along, but I think people were expecting some big unveils here and the wind kinda got taken out of people's sails when they didn't happen.

The biggest problem I think is that landmark is kind of stagnating and becoming "something else" instead of "the tool to collaboratively build EQ Next". But I fault that on the fact there hasn't been a new style guide for almost 3 months. Kerran designs are stagnating, the main DE portion is done, and people don't really have much to do but build voxel spaceships and 12,134,346,286 PVP arenas.

AtmaTheWanderer fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 26, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

OtspIII posted:

Are you a chubby chaser?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

AtmaTheWanderer posted:

The biggest problem I think is that landmark is kind of stagnating and becoming "something else" instead of "the tool to collaboratively build EQ Next".

Eh you see it as a disadvantage but I see it as the saving grace of the game. The Everquest franchise is as illustrious as the WoW franchise in the eyes of the average American. Everquest and high fantasy are boring & nerdy. This from someone who will never even try EQNext probably but will check out Landmark occasionally so take with a grain of salt.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Heh, a fat woman on the internet. Thats loving hilarious. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

On another note, I was at SOE Live and I got to talk to some of the EQ devs. They were pretty cool and seem to have a great vision for the game. Hoping they can get even some of it in.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Eonwe posted:

Heh, a fat woman on the internet. Thats loving hilarious. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

On another note, I was at SOE Live and I got to talk to some of the EQ devs. They were pretty cool and seem to have a great vision for the game. Hoping they can get even some of it in.

1, 2, or next?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well I spoke to devs from all 3 games, but the Next devs were all really cool and excited to talk about what their vision of the game.

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Well I spoke to devs from all 3 games, but the Next devs were all really cool and excited to talk about what their vision of the game.

Care to share details?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Patch going out today with the new features like combat. However people on the forums make it sound like these patches take all day and so servers might not be running until tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003

Spiky Ooze posted:

Patch going out today with the new features like combat. However people on the forums make it sound like these patches take all day and so servers might not be running until tomorrow.

This is true with major patches and this is changing some major mechanics in game. In addition to that, there's usually a few more emergency patches they'll put in place when players inevitably discover game breaking bugs. I'm sure by the weekend we'll have some stability to the game and I'll look forward to then when I can play.

So taking a look at the patch notes, it looks like weapons currently cost no resources to craft. Sounds like they want to get as many players into PVP quickly. The game tables that you can place on your claim do cost resources but I'm sure there will be plenty of claims set up for deathmatch games by the weekend.

The best news of today is they updated the Roadmap and the number one thing they are working on for September is performance and bug fixes. This is the biggest complaint on the forums is how slow the game is and I'm glad they're finally working on optimizations finally. Combat is going to be great but when people are chugging at 5FPS it's not much fun. :/

• Locked thread