Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's not the most diplomatic way of putting it but Nisemonogatari basically has a bunch of times where varying degrees of sexual assault / harassment are played for laughs, if the concept of this is awful to you then you probably don't want to watch it. I think that it's pulled off well enough that it actually works as humour but it's definitely not tasteful in any way and is probably grossly offensive to many. The toothbrush scene is probably less questionable than many because it's so obviously intended to be excessively suggestive that it works better as a joke than some of the random molestings that happen in other scenes.

The other seasons are much better for this sort of thing, though sadly not totally free of it IIRC. I'm not sure how much story you'd miss if you just went S1 => S2 since I forget where Nise sits in the canon chronology but I'd still recommend that to anyone who may not enjoy the themes in Nise.

It's kind of a shame because if it wasn't for the occasional questionable scene it would be one of my top recommendations to others.

icantfindaname posted:

Okay, just how skeevy is Monogatari? It has a thread here in ADTRW and is supposedly good but the wiki has a gem of a review about it being "harem anime for the sophisticated pedophile". I watched the first episode and it did not seem bad although I can believe it gets (much) worse.
This is still a dumb description of it though, I find it really hard to categorise it as a harem show unless you claim that it's one by default because there's a male main character who hangs out with a bunch of girls.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only reason to watch Nisemonogatari is that it introduces a couple of memorable characters, one in particular who has an amazing arc in the "third" season (confusingly called "Monogatari Series Second Season").

I think the aesthetic and dialogue of the show is usually enough to offset its problems, and I don't think it can ever get as bad as it was in Nise, but all told I'd completely understand if anyone wouldn't want to deal with the baggage.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If anybody doesn't want to deal with the baggage, then they should heed the wisdom of this thread's title.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also I have no clue why people recommend TTGL to people new to anime. It's a show pretty much based on the idea that you will be familiar with genre cliches from giant robot anime.
People recommend it because it's fuckin' cool. And no it doesn't rely on that idea at all, if you think that's the case then you haven't watched many robot shows at all. It pays tribute to a couple of classic shows like Getter Robo and Ashita no Joe here and there but it's largely irrelevant to the enjoyment one gets from the show.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I was really into YYH, how does Hunter x Hunter compare?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fat_Cow posted:

I was really into YYH, how does Hunter x Hunter compare?

YYH is like an overly restrained, more generic rough draft of Hunter x Hunter, trying to break free and become the latter.

You may not believe me at first because HxH takes some time to warm up, but from what I recall that's true of YYH too so give it a chance.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

YYH is like an overly restrained, more generic rough draft of Hunter x Hunter, trying to break free and become the latter.

You may not believe me at first because HxH takes some time to warm up, but from what I recall that's true of YYH too so give it a chance.

But does it have a Orange haired school punk?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

But does it have a Orange haired school punk?

It has a character who is basically Kuwabara in every way except that his hair (styled the same way) isn't orange.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When you say some time to warm up are we talking like, 5 episodes or 30? I saw that it's like, 100 something now so I'm trying to judge how long I need to commit, because I loving love YYH.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CaptCommy posted:

When you say some time to warm up are we talking like, 5 episodes or 30? I saw that it's like, 100 something now so I'm trying to judge how long I need to commit, because I loving love YYH.

It's a gradual thing. The really early episodes have kinda shallow characterization and are carried by one semi-villainous character and the elaborate rule/puzzle scenarios; both of those things show up by episode 5. But it keeps building on the protagonists until they become far more interesting people than they were when they started out, which I'd say is the real reward for watching the show, and that takes longer.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

icantfindaname posted:

the wiki has a gem of a review about it being "harem anime for the sophisticated pedophile".

Now that I look, I think my review is the only overall-positive comment on the wiki page. One of you other apologistsfans should go write something. Monogatari is actually a rather thoughtful character-drama that just happens to also have a lot of fanservice. Second Season is particularly strong and it's kind of a shame that it's buried 30 some-odd episodes deep into the franchise.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The relationship between Araragi and Senjougahara (and, later, both their interactions with Hanekawa) are really cool and well-written and almost enough to make me recommend it.

But on the other hand, you could just watch Toradora or The Big O or some other character-driven show with great banter and not deal with all the baggage Monogatari brings along.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to watch Monogatari you should watch Katanagatari first, because while Nisio Isin writes really good characters a man who is basically a sword and a compulsive political conspirator are more fun to watch than a selection of desperately lonely elementary (but magically actually older!), middle, and high-school girls.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I found Bakemonogatari extremely satisfying on its own, so I'd say just watch it. If you can deal with the sometimes cringeworthy fanservice, there are some great moments in the subsequent series, but Bakemonogatari will be really enjoyable regardless.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Katanagatari is probably the absolute worst anime of all time

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's probably the worst opinion all time about Katanagatari.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

What kind of tortuous existence is it to live in a world where Katanagatari is worse than Master of Martial Hearts?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Katanagatari is probably the absolute worst anime of all time

This is such an outrageous claim I'm more interested in hearing your explanation than calling you out for it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Redcrimson posted:

What kind of tortuous existence is it to live in a world where Katanagatari is worse than Master of Martial Hearts?

Ignorance is bliss, they say.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Watching Tiger and Bunny and also Black Lagoon right now, both are solid. I absolutely hate Hulu now, however.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I couldn't enjoy what became of Togame or Shichika in the final episode and the direction it took just seemed outrageous and confusing given the preceding eleven episodes worth of context. I've been told that I didn't like it because I didn't understand it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't like it because of how far outside of my expectations the ending fell and how unbelievable I found the character interactions in that last episode given what I thought was the established narrative up to that point.

But yeah I guess it isn't fair to say it's the worst anime ever, it's simply the most disappointing one I've personally seen. If you want to call me out for having bad taste or whatever that's cool, but I absolutely hated the resolution for Katanagatari and find it impossible to understand how anyone could enjoy it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, no, I get you. I was shocked by it myself at first, and I can definitely think of series where the ending retroactively ruined the whole show for me, but in Katanagatari's case I eventually came around on it.

The kindest and most important thing Togame could have done for Shichika, as the descendant of the man who made his whole family into a weapon, was to set him free from her plan for revenge. The fact that he's seen living happily with her one-time worst enemy is proof that he took her command of freedom and forgiveness to heart.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The kindest and most important thing Togame could have done for Shichika, as the descendant of the man who made his whole family into a weapon, was to set him free from her plan for revenge. The fact that he's seen living happily with her one-time worst enemy is proof that he took her command of freedom and forgiveness to heart.

Right, the whole point is that Togame is dragged down by the weight of her family's legacy. She devoted her entire life to revenge and never lived for herself. She's not even sure if her feelings for Shichika are really her own until the very end. Shichika on the other hand, abandons his family's legacy, his "swordhood", and even Togame to live on. The fact that Shichika and the Princess, who spent the whole show pursuing her own ideals, are the only characters who actually live should be a pretty big indication of how important Isin thinks it is to be your own person. I don't get how that ending doesn't come across as inevitable.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 25, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love the ending to Katanagatari, because it's not just a tragic event, but an inversion of the entire series. It's initially upsetting, but watching the pieces of the premice fall apart, while still keeping the core themes intact, is really cool. I honestly can't imagine a different ending to the story.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I couldn't enjoy what became of Togame or Shichika in the final episode and the direction it took just seemed outrageous and confusing given the preceding eleven episodes worth of context. I've been told that I didn't like it because I didn't understand it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't like it because of how far outside of my expectations the ending fell and how unbelievable I found the character interactions in that last episode given what I thought was the established narrative up to that point.

But yeah I guess it isn't fair to say it's the worst anime ever, it's simply the most disappointing one I've personally seen. If you want to call me out for having bad taste or whatever that's cool, but I absolutely hated the resolution for Katanagatari and find it impossible to understand how anyone could enjoy it.

I wasn't a big fan of the ending either, but I still liked everything I saw that came before it.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I've been on a bit of an anime movies kick lately because I haven't had the time to get invested in full anime series. I've seen pretty much all of Makoto Shinkai's movies, a bunch by Mamoru Hosoda, and I'm pretty much up to date with Ghibli minus The Wind Rises. Are there any other worthwhile ones out there in the same vein? I guess I can't really say they're too similar, but they're not really super pulpy like Akira and the movies I used to watch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I've been on a bit of an anime movies kick lately because I haven't had the time to get invested in full anime series. I've seen pretty much all of Makoto Shinkai's movies, a bunch by Mamoru Hosoda, and I'm pretty much up to date with Ghibli minus The Wind Rises. Are there any other worthwhile ones out there in the same vein? I guess I can't really say they're too similar, but they're not really super pulpy like Akira and the movies I used to watch.

Every single one of Satoshi Kon's movies. If I had to pick one to start with it would be Perfect Blue, but they are all top-notch films.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I think you would probably also like Time of Eve and Patema Inverted by Yasuhiro Yoshiura.

inexpensive meal
Jan 29, 2012

toot toot

muike posted:

Texhnolyze

This hurt to watch, and I loved it. Thanks.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Could someone suggest a good anime that's actually superior to its manga source material?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dragonball Z

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Kubla Khan posted:

Could someone suggest a good anime that's actually superior to its manga source material?

Hidamari Sketch.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kubla Khan posted:

Death Note.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kubla Khan posted:

Gintama, because the writers add a lot and change some jokes around to work in the anime format.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kubla Khan posted:

Gunslinger Girl. Only the first season though, the second is a different studio and sucks.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Srice posted:

Gintama, because the writers add a lot and change some jokes around to work in the anime format.

Seconding this so goddamn hard. This is the anime that made me acquainted with the great Tomokazu Sugita. And between Gintoki, Kyon and Joseph Joestar, I never realized there was a Voice Actor who was as thrilled to give it his all as this lovable dork. :allears:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memories_%281995_film%29

Kubla Khan posted:

k-on

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there any (good) 4-koma manga that didn't get better when it was adapted into an anime? Servant x Service and Working!! also immediately come to mind.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kubla Khan posted:

Chihayafuru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Seconding this so goddamn hard. This is the anime that made me acquainted with the great Tomokazu Sugita. And between Gintoki, Kyon and Joseph Joestar, I never realized there was a Voice Actor who was as thrilled to give it his all as this lovable dork. :allears:

When I tried the first few episodes of Gintama it seemed exceedingly dull and boring to me, and I barely smiled during any of the 2-3 episodes I watched. Am I just lacking in humor or something, or does it not get good until episode 30 or whatever?

• Locked thread