Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Celery Face posted:

I didn't even know he was trying to put on a Cuban accent until someone told me.

You watched that film and didn't know Tony Montana was supposed to be from Cuba?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Celery Face posted:

Or when Kevin Costner's character gets away with shoving an unarmed man off a building in broad daylight.

I'm sort of with you on the other ones (I do like Costner though), but this one, while fictionalized for the movie, absolutely could have happened during that time.

The police/feds straight up murdered Bonnie and Clyde (not saying they didn't have it coming) and it is questionable whether or not Dillinger was going for his gun when he was killed as well.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Fairies in Hellboy II are supposedly speaking Irish. I'm a fluent speaker and I couldn't tell until someone told me. Even knowing, it's basically unintelligle.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

You watched that film and didn't know Tony Montana was supposed to be from Cuba?
Last time I watched it, my dad put it on and just sort of flipped through it. I only saw bits and pieces and sort of knew he was supposed to be from Cuba but I didn't know he was actually trying to put on an accent.

When I saw Mary Poppins as a little kid, I just thought Dick Van Dyke's character was supposed to be retarded.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Aug 20, 2014

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Celery Face posted:

Taking that class really made me understand why Kevin Costner's career died. I can't put my finger on why but he's kind of insufferable.

Costner's career died due to his want to make huge rear end movies that were box office disasters, namely Waterworld and then the Postman.

He was huuuuge in the early 90s

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Celery Face posted:

Then there was also the scene were a bunch of guns are fired off inches from a baby carriage and somehow the baby's eardrums are okay.

That sequence was a kickass homage to the legendary "Odessa Steps" sequence from the 1925 film Battleship Potemkin, kiddo.

And The Untouchables was badass and not silly at all, you kids these days :corsair:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And The Untouchables was badass and not silly at all, you kids these days :corsair:
Even with that soundtrack? I love 80's synth stuff but that was pretty silly. Doesn't stop it from being a good movie though. Commando is ridiculously silly but it's still awesome.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Aug 20, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It's as if were being irrationally irritated. Connery's death scene was pretty over the top and my least favorite part of the film. Costner owns though. He gets a bad wrap for being sort of milquetoast and un-hip but he's a good actor.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There's this part in Blue Is The Warmest Colour where the main character, Adele is asked by some dude (who is supposed to a stand-in for the director) she just met at a party if she's been with girls for long and if it's different from sex with guys. I can think of at least three irritating moments about this scene.

1. Duh. Of course it is.
2. How does he know if she's had sex with guys before?
3. Who the hell asks a stranger about their sex life?

Then there's how Adele automatically becomes an expert on lesbian sex despite being an inexperienced 15 year old. It was also pretty annoying how Adele never chews with her mouth closed. No one wants to watch someone eat like that, it's gross.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Aug 20, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Celery Face posted:

When I saw Mary Poppins as a little kid, I just thought Dick Van Dyke's character was supposed to be retarded.

He told Letterman (or maybe Ferguson) that he learned the accent from a drunken Irishman.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Celery Face posted:

Sean Connery being cast as an Irishman in The Untouchables.

I always thought it was funny that in Highlander, a movie filled with Scottish characters, Sean Connery is the only actual Scotsman in the film and he instead plays an Egyptian Spaniard. I found his accent more out of place in The Hunt for Red October than The Untouchables, though. I guess he at least realized he couldn't do a Russian accent and it would be better to not even try, unlike Harrison Ford in K19: The Widowmaker.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mister Kingdom posted:

He told Letterman (or maybe Ferguson) that he learned the accent from a drunken Irishman.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume it was a sober Sean Connery doing an Irish accent.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Sean Connery is the only actual Scotsman in the film and he instead plays an Egyptian Spaniard.

Who has been living in Japan!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Taeke posted:

gently caress movies that don't use the actual language when portraying foreign people or countries. We're in the goddamn 21st century and I just don't understand why they gently caress it up so often. Is it an attempt at humor or something? Are they really too stupid/lazy? 90% of the time something that's supposed to be Dutch is either German or gibberish.

I mean, a little while back I saw this Southpark episode where they parodied Santa by replacing him with Slash (the guitar guy) and making it a Dutch tradition/folktale and while they got the melody of 'Sinterklaas Kapoentje' (the most used children's song for Sinterklaas) down perfectly the words were gibberish, and that was fine, because it's supposed to be silly and nonsensical and it's South Park so whatever, but I see it in more serious tv shows and movies too.
Either it's gibberish, or it's German, and it's just so goddamn stupid. Even relatively big budget productions are guilt of this (gently caress you Austin Powers.)

Do they do this with other countries/languages too? I don't mean accents, but I mean having like a supposedly Italian character and having them speak Greek or whatever. I don't get why in the 21st century it's seemingly impossible to do a quick google search to see what a language is like, instead of just defaulting to throwing a dart at a map in the general vicinity and going "meh, close enough."

A few pages back, I know, but can you name any more examples other than Austin Powers? Because that was the first thing I thought of as well when reading your post, but I can't think of any other examples and am genuinely curious.

Something that irrationally irritates me is when movies and series have people going to exotic cities, and appearing in places that are chosen purely because they are iconic of those cities but are in no way practical or logical for the characters to be in. An example of this is in the most recent version of Nikita, where two super spies are in Amsterdam and conduct their super secret conversation right in the middle of some of the more famous tourist traps. Yeah, do keep talking loudly about these secret matters in a place where almost the entire population and most of the tourists around you speak perfect English. Is it really too much to ask that you guys meet, and then wait with this conversation until you're in some perfectly photogenic alley or something?

Another: I know nobody likes product placement, but Apple's has been extremely annoying to me lately. All characters use Macbooks or Imacs, their budget be damned, even if they (judging by the look of the programs they run) all immediately install Bootcamp on them. This is especially annoying in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: are you really telling me that Lisbeth Salander, a hacker punk, is using a MacBook rather than something she cobbled together herself? Going by the character, that computer is not only impractical to her, but should literally be the last thing she'd want to use.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Sobatchja Morda posted:

This is especially annoying in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: are you really telling me that Lisbeth Salander, a hacker punk, is using a MacBook rather than something she cobbled together herself? Going by the character, that computer is not only impractical to her, but should literally be the last thing she'd want to use.

Her mac is actually mentioned quite explicitly multiple times in the book, along with some cringe-worthy :techno: describing the (physical) hacker tool bug she buys from her übergoon friend. She's a smart punk that knows how to use her tools well and knows how to read people, but she's not the kind of person who would make the stuff herself

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Her mac is actually mentioned quite explicitly multiple times in the book, along with some cringe-worthy :techno: describing the (physical) hacker tool bug she buys from her übergoon friend. She's a smart punk that knows how to use her tools well and knows how to read people, but she's not the kind of person who would make the stuff herself

:doh:Sorry, never read the books, but I guess I can't really blame the movie then. Does the book ever tell us why, though? I mean, I guess it's a sturdy computer and those things can be hit with a brick and still work, but I'm kind of drawing a blank on the rest of it.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Sobatchja Morda posted:

:doh:Sorry, never read the books, but I guess I can't really blame the movie then. Does the book ever tell us why, though? I mean, I guess it's a sturdy computer and those things can be hit with a brick and still work, but I'm kind of drawing a blank on the rest of it.

Apples are pretty ok computers and yeah, sturdy. Also many people like them, I guess Lisbeth among them. It's not exactly a huge mystery. Also she steals shitloads of cash if I remember well so the price premium on Apple isn't exactly a big deal to her. And yeah it gets mentioned a lot in the books.

That said yeah, ridiculously obvious product placement in general sucks but luckily it's usually fine. There's some egregious examples though. CSI is terrible for it from what I've seen, it's pretty hilarious there though. Also wasn't it Castle that had an extended bit about how awesome his new Windows Phone is?

NLJP has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Aug 21, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I don't notice Macbooks everywhere in films just because I see them everywhere in cities anyway. However, I can spot a Sony Vaio in a film from a mile away.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

A few pages back, I know, but can you name any more examples other than Austin Powers? Because that was the first thing I thought of as well when reading your post, but I can't think of any other examples and am genuinely curious.

I remember some Kung Fu movie, maybe with Jackie Chan, but I'm not entirely sure, and several instances in tv shows (although again, I can't give you any specifics), although those were always minor characters. There's also this scene from Eurotrip :nws: where her accent isn't even close to a Dutch accent and the safe-word is literally composed of letters we don't even use. I get that it's supposed to be funny, but gently caress, there's plenty of actual Dutch words that are just as gibberish seeming and impossible to pronounce for foreigner.

At any rate, it's more of a general complaint rather than Dutch specifically, I just chose it as an example because it's closest to home.

On the other hand you've got little moments where you can tell they actually tried their hardest to get it right and while they rarely get it 100%, the effort that went into it really makes those moments shine. "Jij bent een ezel." in perfectly understandable Dutch was a surprisingly hilarious moments in Friends, for example.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Something that irrationally irritates me is when movies and series have people going to exotic cities, and appearing in places that are chosen purely because they are iconic of those cities but are in no way practical or logical for the characters to be in. An example of this is in the most recent version of Nikita, where two super spies are in Amsterdam and conduct their super secret conversation right in the middle of some of the more famous tourist traps. Yeah, do keep talking loudly about these secret matters in a place where almost the entire population and most of the tourists around you speak perfect English. Is it really too much to ask that you guys meet, and then wait with this conversation until you're in some perfectly photogenic alley or something?

First example I thought of was Argo, where Ben Affleck goes to Istanbul to meet with the MI6 agent in the middle of the freaking Hagia Sophia.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

NLJP posted:

Also wasn't it Castle that had an extended bit about how awesome his new Windows Phone is?

I know Bones had a lot of bits about how awesome MS-products are. Close ups of them using Windows phones, phrases like "I looked it up on Bing", "I'm uploading it to SkyDrive", huge Windows-logo wallpapers on Windows desktops and so on. They also had at least three different episodes where they were driving Toyota Priuses, and all of a sudden something prompts them to start explaining some "cool" feature (parking assist, lane assist, adaptive cruise control). For some reason I enjoy the show, but that poo poo is just cringeworthy.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

After seeing Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm starting to get annoyed at the fact that every large spaceship these days sounds like a hung-over whale. It's like the Theramin of modern times.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Another: I know nobody likes product placement, but Apple's has been extremely annoying to me lately. All characters use Macbooks or Imacs, their budget be damned, even if they (judging by the look of the programs they run) all immediately install Bootcamp on them. This is especially annoying in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: are you really telling me that Lisbeth Salander, a hacker punk, is using a MacBook rather than something she cobbled together herself? Going by the character, that computer is not only impractical to her, but should literally be the last thing she'd want to use.

Have any people in the history of computing even built their own laptops? I guess I saw a picture of a steampunk one that someone did, but I honestly did not know that building your own laptop was even a thing that anyone did.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

kinmik posted:

This is probably the only reason I like Inglorious Basterds. German people speak German amongst themselves, the French speak French, and Bradd Pitt's "Gor-lah-mee" cracked me the gently caress up. Also Cristoph Waltz's casting was inspired. :allears:

There are many perfectly rational reasons to be irritated by Inglorious Basterds, but "Bone-JOR-no!" is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Taeke posted:

I remember some Kung Fu movie, maybe with Jackie Chan, but I'm not entirely sure, and several instances in tv shows (although again, I can't give you any specifics), although those were always minor characters. There's also this scene from Eurotrip :nws: where her accent isn't even close to a Dutch accent and the safe-word is literally composed of letters we don't even use. I get that it's supposed to be funny, but gently caress, there's plenty of actual Dutch words that are just as gibberish seeming and impossible to pronounce for foreigner.

At any rate, it's more of a general complaint rather than Dutch specifically, I just chose it as an example because it's closest to home.

On the other hand you've got little moments where you can tell they actually tried their hardest to get it right and while they rarely get it 100%, the effort that went into it really makes those moments shine. "Jij bent een ezel." in perfectly understandable Dutch was a surprisingly hilarious moments in Friends, for example.

God, I completely forgot about Eurotrip but yeah, I remember me and some friends facepalming pretty hard during that scene. For something that does do it right, I seem to remember that Hitman: Contracts actually attempted to put some rolling r's in the Dutch of bikers from Rotterdam, and being pretty impressed.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Have any people in the history of computing even built their own laptops? I guess I saw a picture of a steampunk one that someone did, but I honestly did not know that building your own laptop was even a thing that anyone did.

Dunno, perhaps super-hackers? :haw: But I guess it makes sense in a way; my MacBook survived getting speared in a UPS-truck, so those things are sturdy as hell.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Guardians of the Galaxy

Does no-one in space have IFF? At least a couple of times in the movie I got wildly jarred out of the action when Our Heroes stole the gun(ship)s of whoever they were fighting and started going to town on them - even in the modern world we've invented (though by no means perfected, I'll admit) IFF systems to stop our guns being use against us, either by accident or on purpose.

Haven't they thought of that in loving space yet?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

thespaceinvader posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy

Does no-one in space have IFF? At least a couple of times in the movie I got wildly jarred out of the action when Our Heroes stole the gun(ship)s of whoever they were fighting and started going to town on them - even in the modern world we've invented (though by no means perfected, I'll admit) IFF systems to stop our guns being use against us, either by accident or on purpose.

Haven't they thought of that in loving space yet?

I figure any ship that fires something called Necroplasm is going to be piloted by a cackling evil guy with a 30% chance on any given day of turning traitor, so the Kree probably can't afford IFF.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

In Miami Vice, the side lights on the go-fast's are different colors. As in, you see two boats in one shot from the port side, and one is red and one is green. So they had to take a boat, and do the work to swap the lights out just because...I have no idea...why?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Elendil004 posted:

In Miami Vice, the side lights on the go-fast's are different colors. As in, you see two boats in one shot from the port side, and one is red and one is green. So they had to take a boat, and do the work to swap the lights out just because...I have no idea...why?

To cause accidents apparently.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

The side lights are supposed to be different colors - its part of the marine regulations so at night you can tell how a boat is oriented in the dark.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

LeJackal posted:

The side lights are supposed to be different colors - its part of the marine regulations so at night you can tell how a boat is oriented in the dark.
He means the two boats had two different port light colours. One of them was the wrong way around.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I'd guess it's just for aesthetic reasons. Less monochromatic.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I'd wager most people, white or not, think that a language someone speaks is named after the country it comes from (I've been asked while travelling if I speak American), unless they know specifically about that country and its dialect. Like, the Scots language for example is made up of a variety of dialects.

Got to be honest as a Glesga native I really don't count Scots as a language it's just a dialect of English.
I really think the whole push to try and make out(or mak oot) that it's so different from English that it's a separate language is pretty fuckin stupid.
But this isn't the PYF Irrationally Irritating Linguistics Moments so while we're on the subject I remember Jonny Lee Miller not doing a bad job in Trainspotting although Sick Boy's meant to be a pretious gently caress so him using a more middle class(more English sounding) accent fits well.
Worst Scottish accent outside of Braveheart has to be Christopher Eccleston's weird and pointless Scottish accent in G.I Joe.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I mean, I guess it's a sturdy computer and those things can be hit with a brick and still work, but I'm kind of drawing a blank on the rest of it.

Ironically it getting broken is massively important to the plot.
Can I say both the sequels are irrationally irritating by themselves. I was amazed at how much I liked Giel with the Dragon Tattoo and though maybe the sequels will be as good, nope.
Instead of more super hacker and somber jorno mystery adventures we get all this bullshit about secret spies and super villains and everyone is related and Lisbeth has been kept down by the system because of secret conspiracies and bullshit thats all wrapped up in the last few minutes all neatly..
The sequels would be better just being their own thing with new characters, I mean their both just one story and there's little to match them with the first.
Nearly four hours of my life I'll never get back.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Aug 23, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
When the credits of Frozen hit, I was like "That's it? It would have been nice to learn how Elsa got her ice powers or what happened to Kristoff's parents." Frozen is a good movie. It just doesn't live up to the hype and I don't get why people act like a Disney movie involving a connection between two sisters is anything new when Lilo And Stitch did it so much better. Also, the trolls seemed very tacked-on and Elsa doesn't really do all that much. I just had a feeling that the characters were underdeveloped.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
The entire film was changed just because of the Idina Menzel's song so don't think Disney put too much thought into it either.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Celery Face posted:

When the credits of Frozen hit, I was like "That's it? It would have been nice to learn how Elsa got her ice powers or what happened to Kristoff's parents."

I see this a lot but I'm not sure what explaining the magic would have actually added to the movie. Fairy tales just have magic, it's part of their charm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Originally it was supposed to be a curse but they changed their minds and just had it be something she was able to do.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I like that none of them have last names.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
This is more of a meta thing but it really bugs me how people act like Let It Go is an empowerment song when it's clearly about Elsa deciding to isolate herself from the rest of humanity.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think Frozen will be pretty well forgotten by most people in ten years until Neo-Tumblr posts some "ONLY KIDS BORN IN THE '10s WILL GET THIS" and they all fall over themselves trying to establish who is the biggest fan despite none of them having seen it in at least five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
This has probably been mentioned many times already, but I'm so loving sick of cars not starting in order to build tension in movies.

Every time someone is being chased in a movie and hops into a car or onto a motorcycle I cringe and think (sometimes out loud), "for the love of god, please don't have trouble starting the car." Nine times out of ten, the car doesn't loving start until the bad guy is right there. OH poo poo, THAT WAS CLOSE! :jerkbag:

An example that comes to mind immediately is T2, when John Connor first encounters the Terminators and jumps on his bike in the mall parking lot. At least in this film, they showed him tuning the bike earlier, but still... gently caress right the hell off. Can't anyone think of a more creative plot device to allow a bad guy to catch up in a chase scene?