Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm reminded that I have Thief Deadly Shadows, maybe I'll give it a spin at some point.
There's a new big fan patch, Thief 3 Gold, that fixes up the game by removing loading screens and other console limitations that were placed on the PC version. Haven't looked that far into it, but somebody will probably fill you in more if its good or not.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Rage McDougal posted:

Mechanically speaking RE6 is a fantastic third-person shooter/melee brawler hybrid (have there even been any other good examples?). Once you've learned the systems you can get a really nice flow of shooting zombies, sliding into them, and then elbow dropping them, and also everything you do in it has a really satisfying weight (I don't think I ever got bored of throwing myself onto the floor).

It's just a shame that the game that those mechanics are contained within isn't all that great. It's also ruined RE4 for me, because I find the combat it that so dull by comparison.

It's such a shame, I know. The main problem is that it really feels like the campaigns and the mechanics were designed by two completely different teams. There's this whole expansive range of options, and then the game itself just has terrible encounter design that never really lets you make use of them. It loves constantly blocking you in narrow corridors where you can't sprint around and do all the melee stuff. I'm just really hoping that the huge backlash over RE6 doesn't make them scrap the fantastic mechanics they came up with for the next game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was gonna mention it but I haven't tried it either. Since the game isn't balanced around removing the level transitions it's not that big of a deal. I guess guards can follow you.

Anyways here's some future advice for Deadly Shadows. I suggest playing on the hardest difficulty. The biggest issue with this is that it raises the amount of "special loot" you need to find to 3 in each level. Finding these is kind of a pain in the rear end sometimes and it started to hinder my enjoyment of the game. There are various tweaks that can lower or remove the special loot requirement altogether.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was gonna mention it but I haven't tried it either. Since the game isn't balanced around removing the level transitions it's not that big of a deal. I guess guards can follow you.

Anyways here's some future advice for Deadly Shadows. I suggest playing on the hardest difficulty. The biggest issue with this is that it raises the amount of "special loot" you need to find to 3 in each level. Finding these is kind of a pain in the rear end sometimes and it started to hinder my enjoyment of the game. There are various tweaks that can lower or remove the special loot requirement altogether.

Does difficulty affect enemy AI?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

How much content is there to Invisible Inc. right now? I'm really liking what I see on the videos the Yogscast is doing, but ~Early Access~ and all.

It's fairly fleshed out and all. Very limited as far as gadgets go but you can unlock agents as you retire your agency and that helps.

I would hold off though. The entire game pretty much needs to be speed-run right from the get-go as the alarm system is constantly going up and after it reaches 3 and beyond you've pretty much lost. Also the random level generator absolutely loves to make single corridor levels with causes bottlenecks that will kill off your agents almost immediately. It's early access and all but everyone on the forums keeps praising it for its "hardcore" difficultly so I would wait and see what direction they take it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got opinions of Blackguards now? I remember there were some poor opinions when it was first early accessed so I'm just wondering if its improved at all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Drifter posted:

Does difficulty affect enemy AI?

Yes. If I remember correctly there was a bug at launch that would reset this to Normal values if you used quickload. Everything else about Expert is great except when you finish everything else in a level with 2 of the 3 special loots and you just can't find out where the last one is. And the game won't let you leave until you get it!

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 23, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Red Mundus posted:

I would hold off though. The entire game pretty much needs to be speed-run right from the get-go as the alarm system is constantly going up and after it reaches 3 and beyond you've pretty much lost. Also the random level generator absolutely loves to make single corridor levels with causes bottlenecks that will kill off your agents almost immediately. It's early access and all but everyone on the forums keeps praising it for its "hardcore" difficultly so I would wait and see what direction they take it.
Yeah, I bought when it first went Alpha because I was still riding off Mark of the Ninja hype and I'm really not liking the direction its going down. As you said its a stealth game but it actively punishes you for taking your time and being cautious. (Plus the alarm system makes absolutely no sense because it ticks up even when you've been ghosting everything.) But yeah its still really early so hopefully they change it around.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rage McDougal posted:

Mechanically speaking RE6 is a fantastic third-person shooter/melee brawler hybrid (have there even been any other good examples?).

Zombie Revenge on the Dreamcast is just about the only one I can think of. It was pretty rad - an official House of The Dead spinoff, if I remember right.

I think RE6's main problem is that they went for quantity, rather than quality. It has one of the longest campaign modes I can think of in a modern action game, split between four wildly different sub-campaigns. While there were some great moments in there (the whole catacombs chapter in Leon's campaign is basically RE4 Redux) there's a lot of weird filler, too.

The core gameplay is great, though, and I really do think that outweighs some wonky level design. Lots of Mercenaries stages to unlock, too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Reason posted:

Anyone got opinions of Blackguards now? I remember there were some poor opinions when it was first early accessed so I'm just wondering if its improved at all.

If you're going to be spending 40 bucks just buy Divinity Original Sin. It's better than Blackguards in every way - even in writing (which it isn't good at).

I played the Blackguards demo and it was bad. Poor writing, boring combat. Everything about it made me not want to play more of it.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
If I already own the basic Civ 5, and I buy the Civ 5 complete edition on sale this weekend, will it give me the base version of the game still that I can give away? Or does it just override the copy I already have?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pews posted:

If I already own the basic Civ 5, and I buy the Civ 5 complete edition on sale this weekend, will it give me the base version of the game still that I can give away? Or does it just override the copy I already have?

Unless it specifically says, it'll just override.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stuntman posted:

They listed Fallout 3, but not New Vegas. Arbitrary is a HUGE understatement.

50 studios/publishers who payed us a sum of money!

FYI the Crusader Kings 2 Collection on GMG is a terrible deal.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If they just removed the word "top" then nobody would be complaining. I would agree that those are all games everyone should play.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

If you're going to be spending 40 bucks just buy Divinity Original Sin. It's better than Blackguards in every way - even in writing (which it isn't good at).

I played the Blackguards demo and it was bad. Poor writing, boring combat. Everything about it made me not want to play more of it.

Thanks, was going to get it for 14 on sale at humble, but it sounds like it is still bad.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Drifter posted:

Original Sin's greatest sin (ha) is having a pretty rudimentary main story. There's a lot of fun characters along the way, though - it's very Pratchett like that.

The simplistic story complaint does tend to become a lot less serious when you consider that the main story is designed to be completable no matter how much you try and break it. It's simplistic by design, because it'll still work even if you literally murder the entire world. Decide to 'solve' the murder mystery in the first city by torching the entire place? You can still beat the game.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Has Original Sin added other companion AIs yet? I've pretty much been waiting for those before I start playing it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

Original Sin's greatest sin (ha) is having a pretty rudimentary main story. There's a lot of fun characters along the way, though - it's very Pratchett like that.

The simplistic story complaint does tend to become a lot less serious when you consider that the main story is designed to be completable no matter how much you try and break it. It's simplistic by design, because it'll still work even if you literally murder the entire world. Decide to 'solve' the murder mystery in the first city by torching the entire place? You can still beat the game.

It's nothing at all like Terry Pratchett, except in the most rudimentary "haha, look at that wacky thing" sense.

Th simplistic story complaint derives from having poorly and shallowly characterized characters, underdeveloped conversations, exposition dumps for conversations, et cetera.

Note how I never complained about the sandbox nature of the game, Dom. I just said it's got poor writing. Quit making some sort of deflective apologist argument, please.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Armor-Piercing posted:

Has Original Sin added other companion AIs yet? I've pretty much been waiting for those before I start playing it.

The AI personalities? Yes, those are in. The two other full party members with story arcs? Still in development, and will be included in an update sometime. They did just release a big patch with some new features and some balance improvements though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In Resident Evil 6 I was doing Leon's campaign on No Hope difficulty with my brother. He was Leon piloting a damaged plane, and I was Helena fending off a couple dozen zombies. Leon gets a special "look back to see how hosed Helena is" button he would occasionally press to, well, see just how hosed I was because I had no bullets and was low on health. He looked back just in time for a zombie to poke him, forcing Leon to send the plane straight in to the ground.

Other fun parts of RE6: Chris and Piers' Very Angry Adventure, every vehicle that approaches Leon inevitably explodes, Ustanak Mortal Kombat, Piers Nevans: Mega Man

Resident Evil 6 is amazing fun, and this is coming from someone who absolutely hated 5.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Other fun parts of RE6 :Chris and Piers' Very Angry Adventure, every vehicle that approaches Leon inevitably explodes, Ustanak Mortal Kombat, Piers Nevans: Mega Man

I have never regretted a character choice more than when I got to stand by and watch as the computer had the best boss fight in the game without me . At least I made the right choice in Chris' campaign.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I've been playing Dark Messiah lately and I'm getting the hankering for what I'd describe as emergent mayhem style games. Any recommendations?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like Red Faction: Guerrilla is getting mentioned a lot recently. Perhaps Prototype? I started to think Skyrim but nah, then I imagined the unholy union of Skyrim and Dark Messiah and it might be the best game I've ever imagined.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hank Morgan posted:

I've been playing Dark Messiah lately and I'm getting the hankering for what I'd describe as emergent mayhem style games. Any recommendations?

This is coming out Tuesday, if you enjoyed playing as a magic class in Dark Messiah. I'm in early access and it's been a lot of fun so far.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 23, 2014

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Tried to get The Walking Dead on GMG but they randomly decided to not accept literally any of my credit cards, and since Paypal can go gently caress itself I guess I'll just wait until it goes on sale on Steam again since it's not like I need the game immediately or anything anyway.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

TheNintenGenius posted:

Tried to get The Walking Dead on GMG but they randomly decided to not accept literally any of my credit cards, and since Paypal can go gently caress itself I guess I'll just wait until it goes on sale on Steam again since it's not like I need the game immediately or anything anyway.
It's probably going to be a part of the Midweek Madness sale next week seeing is that the last episode of Season 2 comes out Tuesday.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I feel like Red Faction: Guerrilla is getting mentioned a lot recently. Perhaps Prototype? I started to think Skyrim but nah, then I imagined the unholy union of Skyrim and Dark Messiah and it might be the best game I've ever imagined.

Thanks. I've played all of those before though.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Hank Morgan posted:

Thanks. I've played all of those before though.

The Darkness 2 makes you feel like a comic book antihero with awesome and gruesome super powers.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Only other thing that comes to mind offhand is BF4 if you're into multiplayer shooters at all. The structural deformation system ends up influencing combat more than you'd think since you can use explosives to open up new paths, flank enemies, that sort of thing. It's pretty much non-stop explosions.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the Invisible Inc caveats, I'll hold off for now. Shame, though, I'm in love with the overall aesthetic. :allears:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Red Mundus posted:

I wish someone would have posted this the first two times I asked about this game. Oh well, money under the bridge and the 20 minutes I've played so far have been fun.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I refuse to buy Invisible, Inc. because the original name Incognita was much cooler :colbert:

Klei hasn't made a bad game yet so I can't wait to see how it shapes up.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

These Loving Eyes posted:

The Darkness 2 makes you feel like a comic book antihero with awesome and gruesome super powers.

Looks interesting. On sale for the weekend as well so I'll sleep on it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How's Borderlands 2 after beating the game for the first time? I've heard kind of bad things about higher-level play, even though I was thinking of getting GOTY or the Season Pass to add to my base game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How's Borderlands 2 after beating the game for the first time? I've heard kind of bad things about higher-level play, even though I was thinking of getting GOTY or the Season Pass to add to my base game.

If you're playing it by yourself there's very little point in playing it at higher levels. Without grinding endlessly for the best gear (or editing the game itself to get them) all you'll most likely do is die over and over again to enemies with far too much health and far too much damage output. I even like BL2 for the most part but I can't imagine playing True Vault Hunter Mode or Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode without at least one friend to pick you up. A team of at least three is preferable.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just as a note for red faction guerilla: search the steam forums before starting the game there is a setting toy need to adjust in the launch parameters to let yoy actually play instead of sitting still unable to move and just looking around.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did they ever patch GFWL out of RF:G btw? Or did GFWL shutting down end up not being a thing? Same question for Dark Souls and Bulletstorm.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

TheNintenGenius posted:

FYI, this is almost certainly your bank's fault. They love to get happy about blocking a purchase from UK with 'gaming' in the name, oooh shady gambling.

e:
RE GFWL
They didn't patch it out for those, and it didn't shut down.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The second playthrough, "True Vault Hunter Mode", is actually really well balanced and a good increase in difficulty. The third, "Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode", is the one you're thinking of. In that one the enemies have huge health pools and use of Slag damage weapons is necessary as the enemies take triple damage from non-Slag sources in UVHM.

If you don't own the game at all or just the base game, the GOTY edition is the best buy as it has all the DLC that would be considered worthwhile for a first or second playthrough. Everything beyond that is either cosmetic or endgame type content. Headhunter DLC are short 20-40 minute "raid bosses" meant for getting loot. Upgrade Pack 2 is a level cap increase, a raid map and above level cap content for maximum epeen growth.

RBA Starblade posted:

Did they ever patch GFWL out of RF:G btw? Or did GFWL shutting down end up not being a thing? Same question for Dark Souls and Bulletstorm.

They didn't patch it out of any of those three games and last I heard they backed out of shutting down GFWL and decided to leave the service up because of reasons.

e: Also, if you're getting Borderlands 2 in this sale please check out the PC thread and get the CheatEngine script to tweak drop rates to non-dumb levels as they are abysmally low to encourage MMO style grinding. Unless you like killing the same boss dozens of times trying to get a gun that you will outlevel in a few hours but not have anything to replace it with. Then don't tweak them.

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Its still in there I created an offline profile but had to put in this for a start parameter or else I couldn't move or do anything.

-nod3d10

• Locked thread