Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TaurusOxford posted:

Since we're on the subject, let me show you guys a REAL Chogokin:

Release Date: December
Release Price: 32,400 yen...

Ouch. :(

Does anywhere have it up for preorder yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gihon posted:

Is there a better place to get Mr. Hobby Topcoat Flat than Amazon? They seem pretty expensive to me.

You always get spanked a little due to the hazmat shipping on mail order.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a look at a prototype of the G-Self's Orbital Gear up. Surprisingly, the G-Self's got a fat rectangular slot in the back instead of the usual kinds. Guess it's so it can support that big-rear end orbital backpack and whatever else is coming for it. The G-Arcane's up as well from the same trade show, incidentally.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

quantumavenger posted:

Also, handpainting is best for small details, but boy is it hell on the eyes.

Reading glasses. Of course, the time will come when that ceases to be a matter of choice.

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

They'd probably all need new molds. The Cardigan could get away with being based on the RGM-79C GM Kai kit, but that Master Grade kit is twelve years old at this point. The Lightning Gundam, which is based on the ReGZ, would have to be built around a mold from 2001.

A ReGZ 2.0 wouldn't be unwelcome either, though. For a minute there I forgot that suit even had a Master Grade.

Or they could just cheap out on us and actually build them around said old molds. The HGUC Quebeley is honest to god 15 years old now and they remolded it for the BF line.

i heard somewhere lightning is using an entirely new mold, you can compare both
http://chubbybots.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/hguc-regz-completed/
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/07/hg-1144-lightning-gundam-new-images.html

you can see all the joints are completely different, so its safe to say its a new mold, and Powered GM Guardian seems to be using the HG powered gm with different armor and possibly backpack. In its defense the GM Kai is an excellent mold for being 8 years old, and the build Mk2 and Qubeley Papillon using the old molds is a shame, i would love a redone HG Mk2 since the RG feels like it will break if i handle it too much.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's a half-wonderful, half-depressing feeling when you realize you've basically hosed your kit up and you'd be better off getting a new one then trying to fix it. I lost one of my DX's face fins a while back and have been trying to scratchbuild new ones, but it's just not working out. My attempts at filling in the seams have been going awfully too. So yeah, gently caress it, ordering the DX + G-Falcon and trying again.

Thank god these old HG 1/100s are so cheap.

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

Wow i did not realize how :goonsay: my post here and the gundam thread were, but i have to use all this gundam knowledge somewhere!

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Crossposting from the Etrian Odyssey thread in Games. I preordered this a while ago, and it came in on Thursday. Full disclosure - I had no idea this was going to be a full model kit. So, now I have an excuse to start another hobby! :retrogames:

Picked up a sprue cutter, hobby knife and cutting mat, going to build it tomorrow. Gonna be fun!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
is that a jack frost seal of approval oh my god

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I really hope they make the Landsknecht and Fortress from EOIV sometime, I always loved their designs.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

JimmyBiskit posted:

Crossposting from the Etrian Odyssey thread in Games. I preordered this a while ago, and it came in on Thursday. Full disclosure - I had no idea this was going to be a full model kit. So, now I have an excuse to start another hobby! :retrogames:

Picked up a sprue cutter, hobby knife and cutting mat, going to build it tomorrow. Gonna be fun!

hold the phone is this like a nendoroid model kit? :shepspends:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gihon posted:

hold the phone is this like a nendoroid model kit? :shepspends:

yes, they made one for saber and saber lily a while back. All the skin is pre painted and shaded so its fairly easy to get a good looking end result

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

They have one for Zero from Megaman Zero and I'm still pissed at how terrible the ball-joint things on it were.
Like, trying to pose it ripped the entire shoulder joint on the torso off. And that's apparently a really really common problem with those kits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG Figurerise is a thing you know.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

yes, they made one for saber and saber lily a while back. All the skin is pre painted and shaded so its fairly easy to get a good looking end result

drat that is pretty cool

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Figurerise is a thing you know.

I didn't, which is why I asked.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EthanSteele posted:

Does anywhere have it up for preorder yet?

No pre-ordering is up yet.

Here is my completed Kotobukiya Gurren Lagann: http://imgur.com/znpQLDS,p3H8Q8l,nenVl4E,5mEU8Ly,gU1lwfQ,A4fJInz,AQaFdgc,Srf3HPj,wMmRON6,WEI6sLT,5KKLQfA

Ignore the backshots. I need to get some superglue to securely attach the Gurren Wing drills. It's a small kit, but it does come with an advantage since it makes the Giga Drill look more impressive.

Now, China Gunpla updates:

1/35 scale Nu Gundam Head model - http://gundamcentral.weebly.com/store/p172/1%2F35_RX-93_V_NU_Gundam_Head_Plastic_Kit.html

- Dragon Momoko Valvrave 1 coming soon. Looks to be getting rid of the stickers for all colored plastic.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TARDISman posted:

I really hope they make the Landsknecht and Fortress from EOIV sometime, I always loved their designs.

There's a kit for the Imperial due out in November.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
help help three hours of my life disappeared and when I came to this happened:

I finished up assembly a little bit ago. I'm gonna have to sand out some rough spots, and then I'll be painting, but holy poo poo this was a ton of fun to do. I even managed to not nick myself with my knife!

W.T. Fits posted:

There's a kit for the Imperial due out in November.

Now that I know what I'm in for, I'm even more stoked for this kit. Now I know why they call this plastic crack.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Aaaaaand finished. It looks really good, I'm glad I went through the trouble. Of course, not that you can tell on account of a poo poo photo.

I'm sad that both the FA booster pack and the Phenex wings are meant to occupy the same backpack slot, so I can't fit both on at once. I'll have to rig up something for that someday, but it looks great for now. Now just to paint the MG Banshee's accessories so I can make it look like the Plan B.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Other than the Zaku II and the Gouf, what other modern, decently-poseable MG kits are out there for a Zeon fan? UC stuff is preferred. Federation kits are okay too, I just prefer grunt designs to character designs.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Other than the Zaku II and the Gouf, what other modern, decently-poseable MG kits are out there for a Zeon fan? UC stuff is preferred. Federation kits are okay too, I just prefer grunt designs to character designs.

gelgoog 2.0 is pretty good.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I love the design of the Rick Dom, and I know that the design of the suit means that, new or old, it's never going to be that poseable, but I'm a little wary of older kits after having a couple of bad experiences with them. I might just get a Turn X.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The obvious (and only) answer is the Acguy. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Once you leave the Zakus behind, basically everything but the Dom is surprisingly well articulated. The Gyan, the Acguy, the Gelgoog 2.0, the Z'gok; even the Zeong is really neat. Sinanju and Sazabi vKa are also very good, though really fiddly builds.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Acguy is a poor man's Z'gok.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The MG Doms hold up shockingly well for being as old as they are. The joints on mine aren't even loose.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The MG Marasai and Geara Doga aren't one year war, but they're zeon-y grunt suits and fairly recently released kits that I haven't really heard anything bad about.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

The Acguy is a poor man's Z'gok.

The Z'gok is just a decadent, bourgeois Acguy :colbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://tamashii.jp/special/gaogaigar/

Smash that button guys, Final Fusion is approved. :)

(You can use it once per day. I can only imagine that we'll get a stopmotion Final Fusion sequence once enough people do it)

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 26, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Took the plunge and ordered the High Grade R35 Gouf from Build Fighters and a pair of plastic nippers. The kit's all blue with what seems like little to no stickers so hopefully it turns out okay.

I feel like I've started down a dangerous road.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
lovely Robert Report:

One of my friends picked up a Mr. Ral's Gouf Custom for me from Powermorphicon. She's the best, I can't wait to build this.

I also just finished my Zaku II. It's the first robert I've ever fully painted. I'm pretty happy with the results. I did some weathering, but it's definitely something that I need to practice. I'll post pictures when I get home from work so you guys can say I'm poo poo.

Also, the No Grade Maxter that I ordered when I first found this thread came, and I built it last night. I didn't want to get too crazy with it since most of the parts barelly fit together, so I just panel lined and topcoated it.

Also also, my girlfriend just finished her first robert! Crossbone Gundam Maoh. We had a really fun time building our roberts, and watching G Gundam last weekend. She definitely agrees that it's a fun way to spend a day and 20 bucks.

Edit: VVVVV I call them roberts on purpose. :colbert:

I also have a quick question, following this flowchart:

There are a couple of times that it calls for Clear Coat. Am I correct in assuming that this is different from matte topcoat? Mr. Super Clear is probably a good bet right?

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 26, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

peeNamaste posted:

lovely Robert Report:

Stop posting from your phone. :v:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

peeNamaste posted:

There are a couple of times that it calls for Clear Coat. Am I correct in assuming that this is different from matte topcoat? Mr. Super Clear is probably a good bet right?

The clearcoat it's talking about would be a gloss coat. The first clearcoat step is completely skippable unless you're doing heavy masking and are having issues with paint peeling up or something. Mr. Super Clear Gloss would work (really well, in fact), but you can also just use Future (or PLedge with Future, or whatever it is these days) instead. The idea is to get a nice smooth glossy surface for ease of panel lining, and also to get good adhesion on your decals to reduce silvering.

If you're using, say Mr. Color lacquers, you can skip all the gloss clearcoat steps, as you get a smooth enough finish from the semi-gloss of the paint itself that is plenty good enough for lining and decaling.

For painting with acrylics, I'd go:

1) Paint
2) Gloss Coat
3) Panel Lines
4) Decals
5) Dullcoat
6) Weather
7) Final topcoat (usually a matte finish, but pick whatever level of glossy suits your taste)

If you're using a semi-gloss or gloss lacquer like Mr. Color, you can skip Step 2. If you're not interested in weathering, skip Steps 5 and 6.

You *could* also spray a gloss coat directly over the decals, but I've found that largely unnecessary.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peeNamaste posted:

mr super clear is probably too nice and expensive for anything but the final application. floor wax that "robert" in between steps.

Use it again for the last step but mix a tiny amount of some flat coat like Tamiya PS-55 to get a nice semi gloss. Like the future floor wax or pledge floor wax, it will last forever.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Thanks for the help guys! Time to floor wax my Roberts.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I'm not dead.

I've just been busy.

Only things left to complete are hands and weapons. I'll post more images of the process if people are still interested in knowing , just thought I should let you know that this project is far from abandoned.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Got the DX+G-Falcon today and drat the box is huge for an old 1/100. Like, the size (if not the width) of a modern large scale MG. It's all because of one gently caress huge runner of course, but still.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Stop posting from your phone. :v:

:ssh: It's his dumb posting gimmick, don't draw attention to it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Pom posted:

:ssh: It's his dumb posting gimmick, don't draw attention to it.

if everyone points out how dumb it is, maybe he will be shamed into stopping. We just wanna help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

if everyone points out how dumb it is, maybe he will be shamed into stopping. We just wanna help

Not a chance.

Anyway, here are my new :airquote:gunpla:airquote:

I did some light weathering for the first time, and the results aren't too lovely (not that you can tell from a cell phone picture), but I need some practice. I just did dry brushing.

After my Zaku, I made this little guy right here:

I didn't do anything special with him because he's perfect just the way he is. It's a super lovely No Grade kit, but I love Maxter so oh well.
Going to take a break and build my HGBF Gouf next week. After that I think I either want a Nobell or RX-78.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 27, 2014

• Locked thread