Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

Froghammer posted:

Serious question: does anyone actually give a poo poo about the ethics of video games journalism? Because mainstream games journalism being in bed with the industry (hur hur) has been public knowledge for at least a decade.

Decade? poo poo son, this goes back to Nintendo Power days. Game journalism always been in the pocket of the companies that make the games. There is no such thing as unbiased/free press in the vidyahs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Yivgev posted:

reports indicate that hes in jail and is threatening to throw himself further into jail if the guards dont say more nice things about Fez

"I'm gonna spit in that gang leader's face I SWEAR I WILL"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hobo Grandpa posted:

Decade? poo poo son, this goes back to Nintendo Power days. Game journalism always been in the pocket of the companies that make the games. There is no such thing as unbiased/free press in the vidyahs.

While you're correct I'm surprised by how so many people rush to state the obvious and in such a way that they imply that it can't be fixed or improved upon.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

rudatron posted:

A bunch of sexist dudes don't like games being critiqued on grounds of sexism or analyzed as political works, like literally any other media. They construct a conspiracy in their minds, that this is surely the result of 'corruption' in games journalism, rather than a necessary precondition for gaming evolving as an actual artform.

So a woman suspected of sleeping with a gaming journalist for positive reviews is A Big Deal because it 'confirms' their dumb rear end ideas about a feminist-freemason-whatever conspiracy.

That's literally the only reason this is a big deal: the confirmation bias of paranoid nerds.

Like it's clearly unprofessional and zoe is clearly a bad person, but is this response in any way proportional to whatever she did?

but games aren't art though

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

The_Cack posted:

that rapist from cards against humanity should have tried to say that his critics where just a bunch of misandrists, i'm sure that would have turned out in his favor :frogbon:

Wait what happened with CAH? Don't tell me the tumblrites ruined that INTENTIONALLY OFFENSIVE game too

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Glowku posted:

Wait what happened with CAH? Don't tell me the tumblrites ruined that INTENTIONALLY OFFENSIVE game too

They removed some offensive cards after complaints (one of which included "passing transvestites" after someone tumbl'd themselves burning the card and it got re-tumbl'd a bunch), the guy who made the game was an SJW type, then he got accused of rape.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

rudatron posted:

A bunch of sexist dudes don't like games being critiqued on grounds of sexism or analyzed as political works, like literally any other media. They construct a conspiracy in their minds, that this is surely the result of 'corruption' in games journalism, rather than a necessary precondition for gaming evolving as an actual artform.

So a woman suspected of sleeping with a gaming journalist for positive reviews is A Big Deal because it 'confirms' their dumb rear end ideas about a feminist-freemason-whatever conspiracy.

That's literally the only reason this is a big deal: the confirmation bias of paranoid nerds.

Like it's clearly unprofessional and zoe is clearly a bad person, but is this response in any way proportional to whatever she did?

:lol:, this is such a weak defense of all the ridiclous bullshit going on it's not even funny. Zoe Quinn is a disgusting human being, game journalism is joke, and this whole thing is hilarous. Stop being trigged and be a normal human being and learn to laugh at this fat piece of poo poo like the rest of the internet at large.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Imagine someone in college/high school says they want to make video games, but they don't have any applicable skills towards making said games, like a passion for programming or actual game design outside of "here's my idea for a game its mario but with a twist!!!"

They become games journalists. Then five to ten years later they realize that while actual game makers can say they are software developers or PR or something, they have to say "we report on kids toys". So this goes, until they once again they have a realization - if they push the art school type poo poo like depression quest or gone home, they can have a job worth bragging about. Instead of kids toys, they can say it's a transcendent art form.

Now imagine the longer this goes on, the longer they look like douchebags who were wrong at every point in their lives in making the decision to become games journalists, from skills at their already considered low job to ethical standards of sleeping with game devs while in arguably a position of power. This makes their lives feel like a joke, and its delicious, like a succulent orange.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

The Landstander posted:

They removed some offensive cards after complaints (one of which included "passing transvestites" after someone tumbl'd themselves burning the card), the guy who made the game was a SJW, then he got accused of rape.

What kind of rape?

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Don Tacorleone posted:

finally googled pics of Zoe quinn nude

for such a fat chick she sure has small titties

:flaccid: yeah... she really has the body of a fat boy. she looks like she's gotten fatter since then... so those nerd nudes are probably doin her a favor right now.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

The Landstander posted:

They removed some offensive cards after complaints (one of which included "passing transvestites" after someone tumbl'd themselves burning the card and it got re-tumbl'd a bunch), the guy who made the game was a SJW, then he got accused of rape.

the world is very cool to live in

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Glowku posted:

What kind of rape?

Here's the creator's denial of it, take what you will: http://blog.maxistentialism.com/post/91476212698/this-is-a-blog-post-thats-incredibly-confusing

I recall this article about it because seriously read this poo poo: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/29/the-case-against-cards-against-humanity-is-max-temkin-a-horrible-person.html (this is that Asian guy who kicked rear end at Jeopardy who also pays Zoe Quinn to exist via Patreon)

Seriously though removing a 'passable transvestites' card while leaving in a bunch of Holocaust jokes is pretty :lol:, and it's all real stupid since the game is specifically designed to be offensive (that's why it's funny).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

poptart_fairy posted:

has she done any game stuff other than depression quest

No.

By the way, I once made a fantasy text adventure game using our internal corporate survey system as an engine (see, my artistic vision was to underline the sharp contrast between grey, yet comfortable lives of corporate slaves and magical world filled with wonders, but also with dangers). I'm pretty much an indie game developer myself, I guess. With the exception that I still have a job.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Paladinus posted:

No.

By the way, I once made a fantasy text adventure game using our internal corporate survey system as an engine (see, my artistic vision was to underline the sharp contrast between grey, yet comfortable lives of corporate slaves and magical world filled with wonders, but also with dangers). I'm pretty much an indie game developer myself, I guess. With the exception that I still have a job.

can iu suck your dick

or wait is it the other way around?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I hope this whole situation makes people step back, reevaluate things, and maybe step outside or something.

No, it won't. People will just further get entrenched in their positions and lifestyles until you have them literally fused with their furniture.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

The Landstander posted:

They removed some offensive cards after complaints (one of which included "passing transvestites" after someone tumbl'd themselves burning the card and it got re-tumbl'd a bunch), the guy who made the game was an SJW type, then he got accused of rape.

:psyboom:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just went and read a wiki article on Zoe to confirm she never made anything except Depression Quest.

"Wiki posted:

In addition to her own game development projects, Quinn is also known for creating the Game Developer Help List designed to bring experienced game developers and novice developers into contact with one another.

Lol, I wonder if she makes any money by being an 'experienced game developer'. People who post poo poo on newgrounds are literally more experienced.

E: oh, wait. Go to her site. She has all types of games there.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I thought the whole point of greenlight was to keep cheap shovelware poo poo off of Steam?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

davecrazy posted:

I thought the whole point of greenlight was to keep cheap shovelware poo poo off of Steam?

Meanwhile, take a glance at all the early access games that will never be finished. (It's all of them)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

davecrazy posted:

The opposite. Valve was getting a shitload of submissions for trash games so they created Greenlight to let the community do Valve's work instead and filter out the trash. Same poo poo they did with TF2 and Dota 2.

Unfortunately, for some mysterious reason, a low-effort barely functional text adventure created from a template got popular enough to pass through the filter.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

davecrazy posted:

Valve kinda did a 180 on greenlight. At first it was an actual selection process, with only a couple of the games being released. Now it releases a lot more of the games entered there and you get a lot of poo poo on steam.

For example this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ur1i1B6WtI

and this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_37IFze11s

Arguably the 2 worst ones.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Brannock posted:

The opposite. Valve was getting a shitload of submissions for trash games so they created Greenlight to let the community do Valve's work instead and filter out the trash. Same poo poo they did with TF2 and Dota 2.

Unfortunately, for some mysterious reason, a low-effort barely functional text adventure created from a template got popular enough to pass through the filter.

Some awards would help grease those wheels.

But to be fair, only the chair of one award had a proven close relationship (sexual or otherwise) with Zoe Quinn.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

rudatron posted:

but this story is getting way less coverage than a typical "game dev accused of abuse by intimate partner" story.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oops diregard that first vid of the previous post, this is the one I wanted to link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m1OBIIZWlM

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

Brannock posted:

While you're correct I'm surprised by how so many people rush to state the obvious and in such a way that they imply that it can't be fixed or improved upon.

On one side of the coin, you can make the argument that the video game industry needs free, transparent, and legitimate press due to the fact that it's a multi-billion dollar industry rivaling other major forms of media in clout & financial success. That said, the main example it rivals is Hollywood. We're still struggling for anything beyond tabloid level journalism there. I hate to pull the cynic card (against humanity *cymbal crash*), but if that's our shining example, I don't think there's much chance in hell. To spin it further, look at mainstream media. It's all a biased joke anymore. Free unbiased press doesn't seem to exist in our global society. Social media journalists are often witch-hunts at best and the 24 hour news juggernaut pretty much prevents quality fact checking or editing anymore. I don't think there is currently a solution.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

facebook jihad posted:

I hope this whole situation makes people step back, reevaluate things, and maybe step outside or something.

No, it won't. People will just further get entrenched in their positions and lifestyles until you have them literally fused with their furniture.
hmmm.. yas lets all listen to the pony guy that posts 4 times a day about going outside

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

falcon2424 posted:

but this story is getting way less coverage than a typical "game dev accused of abuse by intimate partner" story.

Yeah, don't be fooled by the huge buzz you're seeing on here/Reddit/4chan. There's very little actual journalism being released on this topic. Kinda odd for a network of sites that thrives on clickbait to not cover the biggest story of the month...

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Brannock posted:

Yeah, don't be fooled by the huge buzz you're seeing on here/Reddit/4chan. There's very little actual journalism being released on this topic. Kinda odd for a network of sites that thrives on clickbait to not cover the biggest story of the month...

Maybe they have too much integrity to talk about such tabloid-worthy contehahahahahaha

Nope, couldn't do it.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lol yes its a conspiracy to violate the sanctity of gaming blogs, which totally don't give positive reviews to literally everything ever

everyone in this story is a loving loser especially the people extremely angry about it

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Fathis Munk posted:

Maybe they have too much integrity to talk about such tabloid-worthy contehahahahahaha

Nope, couldn't do it.

Even though I like that someone wasted $20 on both of our avatars, I wish they could have used different zoe-atar images.

Then again, those retards aren't that good at research. :smuggo:

Best Friends posted:

lol yes its a conspiracy to violate the sanctity of gaming blogs, which totally don't give positive reviews to literally everything ever

everyone in this story is a loving loser especially the people extremely angry about it

you're pretty angry about it loser :smuggo::smuggo::smuggo:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lovely Wizard posted:

you're pretty angry about it loser :smuggo::smuggo::smuggo:

actually

i am not

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The_Cack posted:

hmmm.. yas lets all listen to the pony guy that posts 4 times a day about going outside

naturally stated by a guy with a video game avatar

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

like i seriously don't even know the issue except that nerds are angry about someone who cheated on her boyfriend (OMGG!!! THE WORST CRIME EVER) and the response is literally "uh actually did you know this might affect the integrity of games bloggers? EAT poo poo FUCKER HERE IS A COMIC UGG") and I'll be damned if that isn't hilarious

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ha-ha, one of the games Zoe did was, I kid you not, Realistic Relationship Sim.

http://www.beesgo.biz/dsim.html

Please, enjoy. I've already beat it, but still can't open the true ending where she cheats on her boyfriend with five guys.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Care Detected

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

Nope, couldn't do it.

My favorite part has been watching different factions suddenly pretend it's opposite day.

Like Gawker suddenly discovered that Responsible Journalism means letting private lives stay private. After all, personal conduct doesn't figure into professional art.

The SJW faction has gained a new and profound respect for dictionary and legal definitions of 'rape'. Quinn might have said that cheating = sex without consent = rape, but that was just hyperbole. And people should be judged by legal definitions, not rhetoric.

Meanwhile, 4chan has decided that inoffensive PR is the order of the day and been donating to 'women in games' charities to get a very neutral character promoted.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
To the poster who stated they do not care about what is being discussed: Thank you for your contribution to this thread about the topic!

Like other posters who share a similar opinion I look forward to you saying that you don't care about it repeatedly from here on out!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

lovely Wizard posted:

Even though I like that someone wasted $20 on both of our avatars, I wish they could have used different zoe-atar images.

Then again, those retards aren't that good at research. :smuggo:

:agreed: It still kind of throws me off seeing someone else post with the same lovely av. Hey Lowtax if you're reading this, please give one of us another av, tia :sun:

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

For everybody not caring I'll take it upon myself to pick up your slack and care for you

Like that time you went on a date with a vegan chick and ordered two steaks for yourself to shut her up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

facebook jihad posted:

naturally stated by a guy with a video game avatar
i only go outside to play on my ds :greencube:

• Locked thread