Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

That... I... I was NOT expecting that. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well that's just silly.

In all seriousness: PFFFFFFFFTHAHAHAAHA HOLY poo poo SHE IS LITERALLY THE PERSONA 4 FEMC I HAD NO loving IDEA BEST CHARACTER

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Earlier, someone mentioned the "Crayon" episode from The World God Only Knows. I have to admit, I'm seeing a lot of parallels, what with the amount of effort vibratingsheep is putting into the game at this point combined with the reactions people are having to Serika.

(Incidentally, thank you for introducing me to The World God Only Knows. It is completely ridiculous and I love it.)

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Oh, so this is where the female protagonist option from Persona 4: Golden ended up. How terribly tragic. :(

Welp.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
When the stream watched Sheep finish the game, it all came together so perfect. We all cringed as we went through Red's awkward event, and then dealt with the utter confusion of the non ending we got. We began demanding Sheep tell us what the hell the deal was. Why was she always injured? Where were her parents? Why was she running off to join the JSDF? What the hell? Then he just unceremoniously dropped "SHE WAS FIGHTING GHOSTS THE WHOLE TIME! HER PARENTS WERE KIDNAPPED BY AN EVIL ORGANIZATION!" and the stream went loving ballistic. Actually seeing it for real, it's even more over the top than I imagined. Glorious.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Wow... this game really doesn't deserve to have Serika in it.

Worst game, Best Girl

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Serika is the best :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, this explains why the game felt so phoned in.

I mean, Emi's fleshed out, she's Serika's best pal. And there's some minimal effort put into the relationship with Goon, as the (possibly one of the) love interest. But who gives a drat about the random background cast when there's demons to fight? Sure, they interact with each other, but they're not important in the grand scheme of things.

Goon always wears a suit, even to the beach, as a running gag, because it gives him personality and makes him memorable even though he's not part of the action until the end.

And Yukiko's the worst because the main character in these things always needs a jerk rival who doesn't know what's really at stake so they can angst about how their great power is useless at dealing with mundane personal problems.

I mean, they could have put more effort in, but I can understand focusing on the main narrative instead of the day to day trauma of the heroine's boyfriend and his school hijinks.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
So could you ditch Serika and never see her again?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
loving hell I wasn't expecting that

What happens if you just abandon Serika? Does she just die and that's your route over? Truly though, it feels like Serika is the protagonist of a much more interesting game.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I... I don't think I believe that's part of this game. Just... what? There are no words. Please tell me there are fangames or something based around this, because it would be loving amazing.

EDIT: I mean, yeah, I could just play Persona 4, but that doesn't have suits worn to the beach.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

What happens if you just abandon Serika? Does she just die and that's your route over? Truly though, it feels like Serika is the protagonist of a much more interesting game.

If you don't show up she beats him just fine, she shows up at the ending after all. Goon truly is a supporting character to Serika's video game.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, what was the last song you played in the fight, vibratingsheep? The one with lyrics, it was pretty good.

Jihad, by Kotoko. It comes from the climactic battle of Baldr Sky, a game that I would love to LP if it weren't against the rules. Final boss battle here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQWHpJ3V-bE

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Don't know. Don't care to know.

Karia posted:

Please tell me there are fangames or something based around this, because it would be loving amazing.

That would assume that this game had fans.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Jesus Christ, that was amazing. I went in expecting Serika to be fighting some thugs or whatever and need our help in a little rpg minigame, but this...

This was something entirely different. Best character, worst game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Are any of the other girls' stories even remotely that interesting or did we somehow luck into by far the best one?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Sindai posted:

Are any of the other girls' stories even remotely that interesting or did we somehow luck into by far the best one?

Supposedly orange (who we didn't meet) is the most popular/highest rated character. I really have trouble imagining her being better than Serika though.

If they just cut Yukiko from this game it seems like every other flaw would be manageable. Might still have been the worst and hardest game in the series, sure, but it wouldn't have killed it for ten years.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
From spoilers that I looked up, most of the other stories are more melodramatic. Remember that Kaori was pretty popular back in Tokimemo 2 (the most popular, maybe?).

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 24, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

HellCopter posted:

From spoilers that I looked up, most of the other stories are more melodramatic. Remember that Kaori was pretty popular back in Tokimemo 2 (the most popular, maybe?).

Hikari was first by a mile. Kaori was second.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
This makes the JDSF ending make even LESS sense. Why the hell would you go into the military when you could be loving up horrors from across the border of reality?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There is not a :psyduck: big enough for what I just read. We are literally in a Persona game now. :wtc:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Coolguye posted:

This makes the JDSF ending make even LESS sense. Why the hell would you go into the military when you could be loving up horrors from across the border of reality?
I assumed that was just her cover story, so it kind of makes sense I guess?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Coolguye posted:

On the other hand, this lends more credence to my theory that she's actually joined the Earth Defense Force.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Holy poo poo, all the Persona jokes came true! :stare::hf::neckbeard:

Serika going all :ssj:

:syoon::black101:

This game might be loving terrible but Serika makes up for it, best girl, best MC trapped in the wrong game. :allears:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Coolguye posted:

Presumably the JSDF has a spectral ops division.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Holy poo poo, all the Persona jokes came true! :stare::hf::neckbeard:

This game might be loving terrible but Serika makes up for it, best girl, best MC trapped in the wrong game. :allears:

This is the only time I've actually liked the look of the animation in this game. Generally the game looks the animators were like :effort: but this legitimately looks kind of cool.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

Hellioning posted:

That honestly reminds me of that Western dating sim that appears to be a normal high school game, barring the 'go back in time' premise, and then suddenly has robotic magical girls, ghosts, and aliens show up during the endings. This is as massively out of place here as it was there, but at least it's more badass this time.

What game are you guys talking about?

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

So Serika is not only a Persona protagonist, she is a loving Super Saiyan. How is she only a character in Tokimeki Memorial 3, and not her own, more awesome game?

Fishcake
May 29, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hey, wait a minute... why does she know Double Shaolin Blast?

I'm not sure if I have the heart to hate this game anymore.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

What game are you guys talking about?

Shira Oka: Second Chances. Gameplaywise, it's very similar to Tokimemo. It's okay.

Someone tried to LP it, but I think that died.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Shira Oka: Second Chances. Gameplaywise, it's very similar to Tokimemo. It's okay.

Someone tried to LP it, but I think that died.

Oh, the Shira Oka guys! I've run panels with them before, they were definitely inspired by the Tokimeki Memorial model and style.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Talk about a loving swerve. There's always been an undercurrent of weird, occasionally supernatural bullshit in these games (like fighting that alien) but this has to be Peak Anime, right? Were there any characters in TM1 or 2 we didn't see who were secretly alien hunters or international super spies?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Opposing Farce posted:

Talk about a loving swerve. There's always been an undercurrent of weird, occasionally supernatural bullshit in these games (like fighting that alien) but this has to be Peak Anime, right? Were there any characters in TM1 or 2 we didn't see who were secretly alien hunters or international super spies?

Well, Homura is a Kamen Rider, but we knew that already.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Wait, so Serika is exactly as awesome as everyone has been joking she was?

I was not expecting this update from Tokimeki 3.

GrandHound
Jun 8, 2013

It Doesn't Matter If You're Alone.
I utterly despise the damage this game has done to my soul but Serika... I'm at a loss for words. This character deserved a much better game :argh:

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
That was pretty amazing. I had no idea that the Persona jokes were genuinely going to lead to Serika, undercover government monster hunter.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
You...I...That's really in the game? You didn't make some elaborate joke sequence? Didn't call in some favours and blackmail the Tokimemo 3 creators? That...That really happened? It almost would've been cool if it weren't so out of nowhere. :psyduck:

How does she win if Goon doesn't show up, though? Why were none of these urban legends mentioned before? Why did they suddenly decide the game needed to be interesting for this one section? :psypop:

Why keep that part so segregated from the rest of it? Like maybe if in year 2 we got some hint of it and then you could go on ghost-hunting dates, just so it wasn't- oh YKWSTG :psyboom:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Striking Yak posted:

You...I...That's really in the game? You didn't make some elaborate joke sequence? Didn't call in some favours and blackmail the Tokimemo 3 creators? That...That really happened? It almost would've been cool if it weren't so out of nowhere. :psyduck:

How does she win if Goon doesn't show up, though? Why were none of these urban legends mentioned before? Why did they suddenly decide the game needed to be interesting for this one section? :psypop:

Why keep that part so segregated from the rest of it? Like maybe if in year 2 we got some hint of it and then you could go on ghost-hunting dates, just so it wasn't- oh YKWSTG :psyboom:

I can only assume that when they were planning the game someone was like "hey what if one of the girls is a Persona protagonist" and everyone nodded because that was reasonable*, but then the hosed up their budget and this was the only chunk they actually got to do full justice to.

*Japan

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 24, 2014

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe I broke my brain from shock of this twist but I actually want that gif as an avatar now, shame the textbox is there though.

I hope there's something this crazy in Girl's Side....

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

So that's where all their budget went. And their character design time. And their actual care in creating anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo.

This was all worth it. When I said Serika deserved to be in a better game several times, I had no idea just how correct I was.

Please tell me there's something this hilarious in any of the other games.

• Locked thread