Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
I get the worst goddamn foils (aside from the one nice DD Neon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

funkmeister posted:

FYI, this is almost certainly your bank's fault. They love to get happy about blocking a purchase from UK with 'gaming' in the name, oooh shady gambling.

Except I've purchased from GMG with no problem before, which confuses me more.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Both of my cards from two different banks are being declined from GMG even though I was a frequent purchaser of their site.

Maybe some database got updated and GMG is considered a gambling site now?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

FadedReality posted:

I refuse to buy Invisible, Inc. because the original name Incognita was much cooler :colbert:

Klei hasn't made a bad game yet so I can't wait to see how it shapes up.

I thought people didn't like Shank and Shank 2? Or at least thought they were mediocre?

But yeah, all their post-MOTN stuff has been great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For lack of a better place to put a "general PC gaming" question: I'd like to start using a 360 controller on my PC. I have a 360 controller, but it's not wired. What sort of cable do I want to connect it to my PC with? Because poking around on Amazon finds a lot of "charging" cables and I'm not sure if they actually send data.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Spiritus Nox posted:

For lack of a better place to put a "general PC gaming" question: I'd like to start using a 360 controller on my PC. I have a 360 controller, but it's not wired. What sort of cable do I want to connect it to my PC with? Because poking around on Amazon finds a lot of "charging" cables and I'm not sure if they actually send data.

None, you need the USB wireless dongle. You can't turn it in to a wired controller.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ragequit posted:

None, you need the USB wireless dongle. You can't turn it in to a wired controller.

So, do I need a cable at all? Or do I just get the dongle and press the button on the controller to synch?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lance Streetman posted:

I thought people didn't like Shank and Shank 2? Or at least thought they were mediocre?

But yeah, all their post-MOTN stuff has been great.

Uh no, Shank and Shank 2 are awesome games. Short but awesome. Not to mention the co op wave mode in Shank 2 is really fun.

edit: You just need the dongle. The cable is just for charging. I have a 360 wireless dongle and it sync'd without much trouble.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Is F.E.A.R. 2 (and 3) any good? I've had them in my steam backlog forever.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, do I need a cable at all? Or do I just get the dongle and press the button on the controller to synch?

Yup, syncs right up. Mine was flawless and every single game sees it with no issues. I recall hearing some old games needed a file edit or two to make it act like a wired controller, but I have never run in to that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gorman Thomas posted:

FEAR 2's not as good as the others but still alright. FEAR 3 is a huge amount of fun co-op because you play as either Pointman or Fettel and they play differently and have unique abilities. Pointman gets slow-mo and plays pretty much how FEAR always did except you don't have a bicycle kick anymore (you still have the others though!). Fettel, being a spooky ghost, can shield Pointman, lift and hold enemies to make it easier for Pointman to kill them, throw back grenades to enemies, or possess an enemy for a limited time. However, outside of support Fettel is significantly weaker than Pointman outside a body and can't do any of those other things while in one (but he can make it blow up at any time, and possess mini-bosses). Horde mode's okay too. FEAR 2's multiplayer was alright at the time but I doubt anyone's still playing it, same with 3's co-op; you'd have to find someone you know.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 24, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gorman Thomas posted:

FEAR 2 is meh. If you've played 1 I wouldn't bother.

FEAR 3 has really neat coop stuff, and an alright single player experience. It tries to be more 'accessible to the modern gamer' but it's not bad.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
Shank 2

I'm good at forgetting what things I can still give away.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Yup, syncs right up. Mine was flawless and every single game sees it with no issues. I recall hearing some old games needed a file edit or two to make it act like a wired controller, but I have never run in to that.

Thanks. Found a receiver on Amazon for 9 bucks, we'll see how it goes. I've got a PS3 controller hooked up, but it's given me some problems so I decided to just bite the bullet and go for something with better compatibility.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I've been playing nothing but small indie games lately. I need something different. Is Bioshock Infinite a good choice if I've never played the others?

Yaws fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 24, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Yaws posted:

I've been playing nothing but small indie games lately. I need something different. Is Bioshock Infinite a good choice if I've never played the others?
No, Infinite is mediocre as hell, buy Bioshock 1 instead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yaws posted:

If you've NEVER played the others, go for it if it's cheap. it's a rather standard wave combat shooter with pretty bland enemy AI and pretty crappy level design.

It is fuckin' pretty as hell, though. Like Seriously, the Environmental Art and design is amazing.

I'd suggest Bioshock 1 to start with, and make your way down to Infinite. it had better gameplay by a little bit.

And then, gently caress it, go play the Mass Effects.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Yaws posted:

I liked Bioshock Infinite, but if you're only going to play one Bioshock-style game, I'd highly recommend Dishonored. It's on sale and has a free weekend going, so this is a good time to try it out. If you decide to buy it, get the GOTY edition.

You can play Bioshock Infinite without playing the other games in the series, but you'd probably be better off playing them in order if you're interested in the series. The original Bioshock is really good, and Bioshock 2 builds directly from that. Infinite goes in a very different direction in terms of story, but also makes some debatable decisions about the gameplay style.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Thanks guys. I'm gonna play Dishonored as I already have that one. I guess.

edit: and it looks like I have the first Bioshock as well. I have pissed away so much money on video games :(

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
One of us! One of us!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dishonored is probably 2nd only to Deus Ex: HR on my list of current (is it last-gen now?) games. It's so, so good. Try to avoid getting too murder happy. I went executioner on my first play-through and the ending really is kind of a bummer if you get high chaos.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Shindragon posted:

Uh no, Shank and Shank 2 are awesome games. Short but awesome. Not to mention the co op wave mode in Shank 2 is really fun.

edit: You just need the dongle. The cable is just for charging. I have a 360 wireless dongle and it sync'd without much trouble.

Yeah, I liked the Shank games except the checkpoints were kinda lovely and the difficulty compounded that. Super solid combat and weapon choices and a really cool style, though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm looking for some good RPGs, preferrably of the turn based variety, something I can play while watching netflix. I've already played many of the more popular/recent ones but there have to be a good many I've yet to try.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Agent355 posted:

I'm looking for some good RPGs, preferrably of the turn based variety, something I can play while watching netflix. I've already played many of the more popular/recent ones but there have to be a good many I've yet to try.

Divinity Original Sin perhaps?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Yaws posted:

They are worth playing once, if you can grab them on sale for say $5 or less.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Agent355 posted:

Expedition: Conquistador, hands down. It's too bad you are watching TV as well, because a lot of good ones have cutscenes in them, like the next one I'd always recommend to people, Anachronox. Can't play that one and watch TV.

The Spiderweb rpgs are decent. Pretty expansive and decent writing and solid old school gameplay. I'd suggest giving Avadon a go, as it's his most recent set, or giving Avernum, which is an older one, but remade in a new engine.

The problem with them I've found is the same as Divinty Original Sin, writing-wise. It just isn't compelling or attention holding. There's a lot there, but it's just...there. meh. D:OS has pretty awesome gameplay systems, however. it's just...it's very unfocused so you'd probably get lost a lot if you aren't paying attention all the time.

They may be too complicated to watch movies and keep track of things, though.

I would strongly suggest you give Fallout Tactics a shot. Great loving game. Simple enough plot-wise to not be confusing while you're watching TV, but still a solid one. Combat is awesome.

You could also just go with some amazing like Frozen Synapse. it's not an rpg, but is a great turn-based-ish thing.

You might want to give Space Rangers HD a shot. It's rpg-ish in space. Good turnbased space combat with trading and weird poo poo.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 24, 2014

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Agent355 posted:

Shadowrun Returns?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I played divinity: original sin already and really really enjoyed it. Pretty much everything drifter suggested is new to me, so I stuck those all on the wishlist to be purchased whenever I need a new game.

Other games I've enjoyed a great deal lately have been strategy-ish games like some of the indie games recently that have been reminiscent of the old eye of the beholder games or more recently Legend of Grimrock. Also town building games like Reus or Banished have been good for TV watching. A new King's Bounty just came out as well which is also great so things like that.

I've already combed through the new releases and using the RPG tag to hunt has been helpful but I'm sure there is a pile of year old+ games that I would like but have never heard of.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Agent355 posted:

I've already combed through the new releases and using the RPG tag to hunt has been helpful but I'm sure there is a pile of year old+ games that I would like but have never heard of.

Paper Sorcerer is pretty fun if you haven't already tried it. It also works well as a diversion game since it's turn-based and there's more of an emphasis on the quality of encounters than quantity. Random fights can take a while, but each floor only has so many so it doesn't really come off as a grind. Very pick-up and play friendly too since you can save anywhere outside of fights, so it's easy to jump back into.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 24, 2014

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Has anyone had this disk write error and been able to find a fix?

pre:
[2014-08-23 23:34:37] Failed to write chunk in file "hl2\hl2_misc_000.vpk",
 1048576 bytes at offset 59112819 (Unknown)
[2014-08-23 23:34:37] Update job for app 440 canceled: Failed updating depot 441
 while writing chunk to "hl2\hl2_misc_000.vpk", offset 59112819 (Unknown) (Disk
 write failure)
I have tried the following:

• Deleting the game
  • Verifying the game
  • Downloading other games
  • Change content servers
  • Check disk for errors
  • Install on different drive
  • Re-install Steam
  • Delete all files within Steam and let them re-download
  • Use beta version of Steam
  • Run Steam as admin
  • Apply 'Full Control' permissions to all files and folders within the Steam library I'm saving the game to
  • Delete just the file the log file mentions

Non-Steam games download and install perfectly on the same drive. It has over 2TB of space left, so that's not an issue.

e: I have also tried installing and downloading the games with firewall and anti-virus turned off.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 24, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well guys, prepare for your first Kamige. :smug: https://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/23/sekai-project-licenses-clannad-full-voice-edition-steam-release/

Serious talk, some people have posted here wondering when Steam will get actual good visual novels and welp, here you go. Clannad is perhaps the most respected VN ever made. It's a lengthy romance focused VN with no pervy poo poo that tries to actually tell a serious story. I've only seen the anime adaptation, but it was quite good, I thought. The art is poo poo, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yaws posted:

Infinite is a fun romp as long as you don't take video game storytelling seriously or pontificate on whether Games Are Truly Art. I mean Ken Levine does but I don't. The story is dumb as hell but I was entertained by how dumb it was. And how gorgeous the game is as well.

But you should really play the first Bioshock before any of the others.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I've never used GMG or Gamers Gate. If I buy games that come with a Steamworks key, all I have to do is plug that into Steam and the game will work? How can they sell poo poo this cheap? Thinking about picking up Company of Heroes 2 on Gamers Gate.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just wanna tell people that Max Gentleman is a pretty fun game and is also free so everyone should try it. You have no excuse not to, to be honest.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/257710/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't understand anything about the game by those screenshots.

Literally nothing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You have a stack of hats. You scroll through the stack and press a button to jump the selected hat, causing all above it to jump as well. You have to dodge a series of birds and projectiles or else your hats will get knocked off. The goal is to build a really big stack of hats. There are various game modes with some minor differences.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You have a stack of hats. You scroll through the stack and press a button to jump the selected hat, causing all above it to jump as well. You have to dodge a series of birds and projectiles or else your hats will get knocked off. The goal is to build a really big stack of hats. There are various game modes with some minor differences.

Do what you gotta do, I guess.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

reagan posted:

I've never used GMG or Gamers Gate. If I buy games that come with a Steamworks key, all I have to do is plug that into Steam and the game will work? How can they sell poo poo this cheap? Thinking about picking up Company of Heroes 2 on Gamers Gate.

Same way Steam can, I assume, you're just taking out the inventory system of that site and replacing it with keys.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Drifter posted:

I don't understand anything about the game by those screenshots.

Literally nothing.

All the more reason to find out for yourself by watching the trailer on the steam page and downloading the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Max Gentleman is pretty loving rad. I got to play it at PAX East and they got it working in an arcade cabinet. Cool that they added different hats, because at that time all they had were top hats and poo poo. I also bought a hilarious t-shirt which is a silhouette of a gentleman with stacked top hats from them.

Also in :wtc: news at the same booth, some dude actually showed up as one of the shirtless gentleman complete with top hat and started going at the cabinet.

• Locked thread