Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Visitor K posted:

As a fellow forgotten latin american ps4 owner, just do what I did and make a US account and get games cheaper than in your country's store. You can get ps money on amazon with any credit card and a fake US address. gently caress paying 10+ extra dollars on games.

The thing is I AM living in the US and I'm pretty sure I get charged the american prices. It's super annoying because I always have a hard time buying stuff from the store, no matter if I do so from a my PS4, Vita, or my Mexico-dwelling brother's PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That loving Sned posted:

Normally games in the UK have a high RRP of £50 or £60, but retailers would discount this to £40, except for games like Call of Duty and FIFA which would be more expensive. All UK prices include VAT, which is currently 20%, but many retailers get around it by using tax havens and they pass the savings onto the customer.

However, since publishers control the price on digital online stores, they are sold for RRP. Usually the only games that went for £40 on launch would be Sony's first party games, although since the PS4 came out even they've been selling new games for £50 or more. The Last of Us: Remastered was $50 and the original PS3 version was $60, but both were £40 in the UK.

Also, since the start of 'next-gen gaming' most retailers have decided that games should start at £45, unless there's a special circumstance like TLU being a port of a game that only came out last year. Diablo 3 PS4 was £48 in Tesco, which tends to have the best price out of brick and mortar stores, that's $79 in case you were wondering. Still, that's better than the £60 it was for the digital version.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

big mean giraffe posted:

Hotline Miami works 10000 times better with touch controls though. So much easier/more precise than 'aiming' with the sticks.

I've only played it on PC, and I can't imagine playing it with thumbsticks, unless the console version is way more forgiving

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Milkman posted:

I've only played it on PC, and I can't imagine playing it with thumbsticks, unless the console version is way more forgiving

It really sucks, unfortunately. :smith:

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Hey guys, if your PS4 controllers are hosed up call Sony and send them in. I got mine back in < 7 days and the rubber is noticeably different (plus you get brand new controllers).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shamelessly stolen from the coopins thread

flyboi posted:

http://www.gamefly.com/Buy-inFamous-Second-Son/5006498/#axzz3BGvxeb92

Gamefly has Infamous Second Son used for $25 free shipping
Debating if I should buy it now or wait until later. Destiny will occupy a lot of my gaming time.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

The Milkman posted:

I got an A+ on a huge chunk of the game on pc and ps3 using a controller both times. I did really like the m&k controls though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Milkman posted:

Thumbsticks are great for movement in it, the Vita version allows touch controls in place of mouse which work even better. I found the Vita controls best of all the versions I've played.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I like the Vita version over the PS4 one.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Harlock posted:

Debating if I should buy it now or wait until later. Destiny will occupy a lot of my gaming time.

I'd say it's worth it for 25$. You should be able to get through it no sweat before Destiny launches.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Harlock posted:

I bought it for $30 used and have no regrets. Just finished a second play through today and got the platinum trophy for it. It was delivered to me on the 8th of this month, so you should have any problems getting through it before Sept 9th.

As others have said it's pretty short, much shorter than the first two, but it's still a fun game if you're a fan of the series.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Yeah, it's a good game and worth playing, but you can platinum it in under 15 hours. A single playthrough should only take about 6-7.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
May end up grabbing my PS4 soon. What's the consensus on expanding the hard drive? Worth it? SSD or HDD? Any particular brand/model to aim for? Or screw it and buy games instead?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Im still using stock, i figure when I upgrade prices will go down for whatever is considered best.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dohaeris posted:

May end up grabbing my PS4 soon. What's the consensus on expanding the hard drive? Worth it? SSD or HDD? Any particular brand/model to aim for? Or screw it and buy games instead?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRHTTIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This 2tb drive can be pried out of the enclosure and installed. Takes about 10 min and is currently the largest you're gonna get.

I recommend it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dohaeris posted:

JazzFlight posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRHTTIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This 2tb drive can be pried out of the enclosure and installed. Takes about 10 min and is currently the largest you're gonna get.

I recommend it.
Make sure you boot up and update the default HDD first, I have heard if you just slap the 2TB into the PS4 before initialization + update that it can be fudgey (*source is a buddy I recommended it to who complained at me)

My 2TB installed easy and has worked like a champ so far.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I picked up one of those drives a few weeks ago and have been meaning to pop it into my console but haven't gotten around to it yet. Is there anything special I should know beyond "backup data via USB, remove case and replace drive"?

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
i got A+ on most of the hotline miami levels using the vita analog sticks.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

What on earth are you people putting on 2TB drives?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I picked up one of those drives a few weeks ago and have been meaning to pop it into my console but haven't gotten around to it yet. Is there anything special I should know beyond "backup data via USB, remove case and replace drive"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbk2w1dcvNU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

What on earth are you people putting on 2TB drives?

When games are 30-60gb downloads if you are going digital the 500gb isn't a whole lot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does PS4 Warframe still have bad frame rate problems and weird aiming with the controller?

edit: I'd just play it on the PC, except that controller support there is still far from complete.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 24, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does PS4 Warframe still have bad frame rate problems and weird aiming with the controller?

I only had my PS4 for a month or so, but the last time I played Warframe just to try it out was a couple of weeks ago, and it felt fairly janky to me with inconsistent framerates.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

When games are 30-60gb downloads if you are going digital the 500gb isn't a whole lot.

This is a bit of an exaggeration - the biggest games are about 50GB, and there aren't many of them. Remember, any game with a retail release needs to fit on a 50GB Blu-ray.

Unless you count DLC, then maybe.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Jerkface posted:

I really think its ridiculous how many human lives Joel has taken through the course of this game.

Gameplay argument aside... most of these people are trying to actively kill you. Also theoretically you are the one killing everyone, because most of the areas of the game can be stealth through :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BreakAtmo posted:

This is a bit of an exaggeration - the biggest games are about 50GB, and there aren't many of them. Remember, any game with a retail release needs to fit on a 50GB Blu-ray.

Also the average gamer is going to delete games with no replay value or ones thaty they're done with and only keep their save files just in case. You'd need to either be the guy that wants to film and save hours of footage for upload or the guy that wants to play 12 AAA games on there all at the same time or the guy who wants to keep every game he's ever bought instantly playable with no re-download to ever need to worry about upgrading the stock hdd.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

BreakAtmo posted:

I was taking into account patches and DLC and I'm sure eventually we'll see some multi-disk games. Personally I'll never go over the 500gb because I rarely ever replay a game when I'm finished with it so I have no problem deleting things to make room.

Point is, games are getting bigger and it's not crazy to think some people are going to fill up 500gb pretty easily.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I tried to platinum Pixeljunk Shooter with the MP trophies earlier today and every one I played either quit or disconnected before the first round even ended. It's a shame because the multiplayer in that game actually seems a bit cool since you're alternating between offense and defense each turn.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Megasabin posted:

Gameplay argument aside... most of these people are trying to actively kill you. Also theoretically you are the one killing everyone, because most of the areas of the game can be stealth through :)
This is still odd to me, because sneaking past is how I wanted to play as well, but every time I tried I ran into a door or something that only became passable when all the enemies are killed. Finally I just gave up trying to play that way.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 24, 2014

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
RE: 2TB HD's

I consider it future-proofing; by this time next year, I'm gonna have a lot more on my PS4 than I do now.

Plus, the 2TB isn't a bad price at all AND I've got an extra 500Gb portable from the swap.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is the Seagate 1tb Hybrid drive still the go to for HD upgrade or should you go for some 2tb 5400rpm drive?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is still odd to me, because sneaking past is how I wanted to play as well, but every time I tried I ran into a door or something that only became passable when all the enemies are killed. Finally I just gave up trying to play that way.

That's really bizarre. There are very few areas in the game that require you to fight. I really doubt just your copy was bugged, so sounds like you missed something. Not sure what though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

I was taking into account patches and DLC and I'm sure eventually we'll see some multi-disk games. Personally I'll never go over the 500gb because I rarely ever replay a game when I'm finished with it so I have no problem deleting things to make room.

Point is, games are getting bigger and it's not crazy to think some people are going to fill up 500gb pretty easily.

I actually wouldn't bet on this. I looked at the various PS4 game install sizes, and it seems to me that most of the time a 40+GB install is found not on games that are using super-advanced new tech, but on cross-gen games like TLOU and Wolfenstein that are falling back on the somewhat last-gen feature of pre-rendered cutscenes. Example: TLOU used them on the PS3 since the normal visuals weren't good enough, and on the PS4 the visuals are still very "last-gen port", and redoing the cutscenes in real-time would be a lot of work, so they were re-rendered in 1080p60 and now take up even more space. Given how amazing real-time PS4 visuals tend to look now (and how they'll look in the future), I would not be remotely shocked to see game sizes actually shrink as time goes on as more and more devs make real-time cutscenes the standard. This would save shitloads of install space, as well as allow for things like seamlessly moving from gameplay to cutscene, costumes and weapons being reflected in cutscenes, etc. that we see in games like MGSV that stick with real-time exclusively.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
What was the preset that everyone tends to be using on their sony wireless gold headsets? I've almost paid off my Destiny Ps4 and that's my next purchase.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Infamous SS is the goto I believe. Though I hear the new Last of Us preset is supposed to be good as well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Megasabin posted:

That's really bizarre. There are very few areas in the game that require you to fight. I really doubt just your copy was bugged, so sounds like you missed something. Not sure what though.

Yeah I remember there being one encounter that was a two floor building, some sort of library or something? Anyways, after trying to beat it multiple times by taking everyone out, I realized that it could be passed by going in a side entrance and taking out the one guy blocking the exit. I thought it was really cool.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Tensokuu posted:

What was the preset that everyone tends to be using on their sony wireless gold headsets? I've almost paid off my Destiny Ps4 and that's my next purchase.

The Last of Us one seems really good in general.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Nope. I disliked the controls on PC and thought it was way worse on console. I really want to like that game but I have always just thought the controls were god awful regardless of the platform. Using an analog stick is utter poo poo though.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Ciaphas posted:

I'm sure it's just me, but The Last of Us is frustrating the everloving poo poo out of me. I'm at basically the first point where I have to deal with several runners and a clicker, and I must have somehow gotten spotted like ten times (and my neck then bitten out by said clicker) before shutting off the PS4 before I got Mad At Video Games.

I really need something to do on this drat thing before Destiny comes out. Diablo 3 is too mindless and I'm not sure I'm interested in anything else out yet :(

That part is indeed very difficult. Here's a simple trick to do it.

Go right, grab the runner that's just standing there. From that runner's position, you can see the clicker standing there... wait till the runner (near clicker) has walked away and shoot the bejebus out of the clicker (aim for head).
Now the clicker is dead and you have like 4 runners going after you... use the plank and smack them dead.

You're done with probably the hardest part in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can play Hotline Miami very accurately with the sticks, what are you guys have issues with specifically?

• Locked thread