Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I think it goes back to Nintendo's fear that they'll get bad publicity when some six year old gets a stream of profanity and racial slurs out of his Gamepad speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
CoD is a murder simulator and is responsible for all of the school shootings.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I just beat Pikmin 3 with every fruit and every secret file. After watching Olimar's logs, I was wondering: the narrator in the finale states that the S.S. Drake crash may not have been an accident. Is there anything in the game telling me what caused it? If so, where can I find in-game where this is at?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've been LPing Sonic 06 and the Sonic Lost World mentions made me curious, has anyone put a lot of time into it and found it enjoyable? I've watched a couple videos of skilled players and it actually looks really fun, but I don't know how much effort you actually have to put in to get fun out of the game. When it came out opinions seemed mixed, after time passed did it just turn out to be poo poo?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Slur posted:

I just beat Pikmin 3 with every fruit and every secret file. After watching Olimar's logs, I was wondering: the narrator in the finale states that the S.S. Drake crash may not have been an accident. Is there anything in the game telling me what caused it? If so, where can I find in-game where this is at?
There is nothing.

If there is one thing that annoys me about the game, it's how vague it is. It never explains why you crashed. It doesn't from memory give you a worthwhile reason why Olimar and co are on the planet, or what they are going to do with a hosed up ship after you leave.

It feels like they set up a bunch of sequel or DLC expansion hooks in doing so, but with no known intention by Nintendo for either of those, it feels like they set up more plot then they give you and then drop all of it at the end.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MassRafTer posted:

I've been LPing Sonic 06 and the Sonic Lost World mentions made me curious, has anyone put a lot of time into it and found it enjoyable? I've watched a couple videos of skilled players and it actually looks really fun, but I don't know how much effort you actually have to put in to get fun out of the game. When it came out opinions seemed mixed, after time passed did it just turn out to be poo poo?

Lost World is not an especially good game but it's not irredeemably terrible like most bad 3D Sonic games are, and the ideas they introduced could very easily be improved in a sequel, I think.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MassRafTer posted:

One of my friends swears that it's a great game if you put time into it like with Platinum games. Not sure about that but it's not as bad as everyone says. It's certainly way better then 06.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I do want to try Lost Worlds some day because I'm willing to put up with even a badly executed Mario Galaxy ripoff, but I'm not paying more than $10 for it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

axleblaze posted:

I do want to try Lost Worlds some day because I'm willing to put up with even a badly executed Mario Galaxy ripoff, but I'm not paying more than $10 for it.

Basically this, though rather than not willing to pay more than ten bucks it's more that there's stuff I haven't gotten and stuff coming up that look way the gently caress better on which i'd rather spend money on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of my friends swears that it's a great game if you put time into it like with Platinum games. Not sure about that but it's not as bad as everyone says. It's certainly way better then 06.

I wouldn't go as far as comparing it to a Platinum game, but it's definitely an attempt at something more involved than the last few boost-heavy games.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Sonic Lost World is a good game and it gets way more flak than it deserves. It's very different from Unleashed/Colors/Generations, and I think that turned off a lot of people who were hoping for something closer to that? If you're just looking for a solid 3D platformer where you can sometimes go fast it's more than good for that.

That isn't to say it doesn't have problems, it most certainly does. Sometimes there are weird jumps you have to make where the level curves in a circle Galaxy-style*. There's a few mechanics that don't ever get explained by the game, but are mandatory to beat the game, such as being able to charge your homing attack. Wisps felt really forced and unnecessary, which was weird because of how well they were used in Colors. It makes me wonder if they were added in late in development, but I'm not sure about that. There also used to be the issue of rings being almost completely worthless because you wouldn't get extra lives for collecting 100, but that got patched back in eventually.

*I remember one time in particular I was trying to grab a Red Ring near the beginning of a level, and I don't remember how many times I died but it was a lot, because it was a really precise jump that curved and it was really frustrating.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Lost World is not an especially good game but it's not irredeemably terrible like most bad 3D Sonic games are, and the ideas they introduced could very easily be improved in a sequel, I think.

Basically this ^. There's just a lot of really weird minor issues that add up, there is nothing inherently wrong with the gameplay. It's not giving Super Mario Galaxy a run for it's money but it's still fun.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly, if they pushed through an option that let you turn off all of the voice acting, I could probably find it more acceptable.

All of the footage i've seen of the game has the asshat bad guys saturday morning cartoon poo poo talking you through the levels, and it feels like that would get annoying REAL FAST.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Crawfish posted:

Honestly, if they pushed through an option that let you turn off all of the voice acting, I could probably find it more acceptable.

All of the footage i've seen of the game has the asshat bad guys saturday morning cartoon poo poo talking you through the levels, and it feels like that would get annoying REAL FAST.

It's actually the best part of the game. In fact that's the best part of any game that has voice acting, because character interaction is a great thing that a lot of games sorely lack.

If I could have my way every game would have a script like Kid Icarus: Uprising

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's pretty much what I've heard. I didn't want to put it that way because it sounds ridiculous, but I may pick up a used copy to check it out. I've grown to like steep learning curves.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

sharrrk posted:

It's actually the best part of the game. In fact that's the best part of any game that has voice acting, because character interaction is a great thing that a lot of games sorely lack.

If I could have my way every game would have a script like Kid Icarus: Uprising

Except this game's script is not really "Kids Sat. Morning Fun Shows", but "Kids like any old poo poo". Most of the gags are really boring too. :effort:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's still much better than Sonic Boom will be, I'll give 'em that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I like Sonic Colors the most because their approach was "Sonic is basically a really fast car" and designed a lot of the levels that way.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
the comparison between Lost World and Galaxy is painfully surface-level and it's really tiring that people keep making it

I mean look, I wouldn't recommend Lost World to anyone - I only enjoyed it as much as I did because I cannot get enough of 3D platformers, but for real, like, even those surface-level things, planet shape and all that, function very differently and have much different implications for platforming and actual gameplay. Gravity is always very constant, it's not like it is in Galaxy where it tries to mimic gravity on what is normally a much larger scale (rubber-bandy stuff), but rather that the ground is the ground and you just sorta' "stick" to it. The only real similarity is the game from an aesthetic standpoint, but because all people ever see when they look at a game is, well, exactly that, they think "Oh yeah it's a Mario Galaxy clone it's exactly like Mario Galaxy" when it seriously really is not. Level design always aims a single direction, power-ups have much different uses contextually (especially because they're almost entirely optional), parkour makes a big difference in general structure and the amount of "walls" present versus the amount of open-bottom, floating "platforms," etc. etc. etc.

people also compared Colors with Galaxy, gosh that was stupid

sharrrk posted:

It's actually the best part of the game.
It's really not (well, in my opinion, anyhow). I think that the areas which contain quality writing kinda' switched places between Lost World and Colors. I actually enjoyed the cutscenes in Lost World a decent bit, Sonic and Tails and Eggman get some pretty nice lines and they're all well-acted, but in Colors, there are some lame-o jokes that I think are really tiring. By contrast, I love the Eggman PA stuff in Colors, particularly because of its delivery, but I dislike the Deadly Six smack-talk in Lost World.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I like Sonic Colors the most because their approach was "Sonic is basically a really fast car" and designed a lot of the levels that way.
You may wish to consider playing Generations or even Unleashed at some point.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

How unbelievably retarded, how does Nintendo over complicate something so loving basic. :ughh:

Essentially I lose all the poo poo I actually want to keep anyway and it seems like a waste of time since I have 2 VC games to his 7.

That said, if I unlink my Nintendo Network ID from my console, and link it back on his, that would allow me to re-download my stuff without a transfer?

Or is all that tied entirely to the console I downloaded it on.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

If you do decide to play Unleashed, get the PS3 version. That way if the werehog levels really rub you the wrong way you can just download a save with all the stages unlocked so you can skip them.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Alteisen posted:

How unbelievably retarded, how does Nintendo over complicate something so loving basic. :ughh:

Essentially I lose all the poo poo I actually want to keep anyway and it seems like a waste of time since I have 2 VC games to his 7.

That said, if I unlink my Nintendo Network ID from my console, and link it back on his, that would allow me to re-download my stuff without a transfer?

Or is all that tied entirely to the console I downloaded it on.

I'm not understanding what you're saying. Are all the aforementioned games your brother has on his console digital? If so, you can redownload them after you transfer your stuff to his system by re-linking his ID.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ultigonio posted:

I'm not understanding what you're saying. Are all the aforementioned games your brother has on his console digital? If so, you can redownload them after you transfer your stuff to his system by re-linking his ID.

Yea that's what I was getting at, just got a bit confused, still retarded though!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Well, either way, it sounds like the transfer should be able to meet your needs aptly, unless you really want your brother's save files/Miis (or he has some sort of bizarre attachment to his NNID that will keep him from letting you re-link it after the transfer).

But yeah, it's pretty stupid that you overwrite the target console (even though you can get basically everything on it back, barring save files and I guess Miis) because when you do a Wii to Wii U transfer or even a Wii U to Wii U transfer, the vWii on the target console actually merges with the vWii/Wii whose data you're transferring.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Finally got a charging cable for my gamepad after my cat chewed the last and picked up Deus Ex for $10. Game surprised me how well it ran. Had no idea publishers made the effort for the Wii U at all.

I still can't believe Nintendo is still using proprietary chargers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

flare posted:

Finally got a charging cable for my gamepad after my cat chewed the last and picked up Deus Ex for $10. Game surprised me how well it ran. Had no idea publishers made the effort for the Wii U at all.

I still can't believe Nintendo is still using proprietary chargers.

I'm so used to the proprietary chargers that the fact that the Pro controller uses a mini-USB cable for charging threw me off.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

I did play Generations and half of the levels were awful.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I had a bunch of people over last night to play Mario Kart and it was rad. However it became apparent to me that Nintendo bombed marketing the Wii U because smart people were under the assumption the Wii U was simply a gamepad add on for the Wii. It wasn't until I said, " the Wii U is like the PS4 and the Wii is like the PS3," that they understood it was an entirely new console. I never experienced such a thing first hand.

With that said, everyone had a blast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Why they decided that Crisis City, one of the most hated levels in Sonic '06, was something worth remembering is beyond me. The 3DS version was merely average, but at least it had a good selection of levels from past games.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Wildtortilla posted:

I had a bunch of people over last night to play Mario Kart and it was rad. However it became apparent to me that Nintendo bombed marketing the Wii U because smart people were under the assumption the Wii U was simply a gamepad add on for the Wii. It wasn't until I said, " the Wii U is like the PS4 and the Wii is like the PS3," that they understood it was an entirely new console. I never experienced such a thing first hand.

With that said, everyone had a blast.

Wait, really? I had always assumed that was just a joke, and I've never met anyone in person who actually thought that. Is awareness that much of an issue? I remember seeing a study that said the only positive correlation to sales of a game was advertising, and it's a drat shame if that's true for either games or systems.

I was under the impression the Wii appealed to a much broader audience, however the new segments of that audience weren't the kind of people who were going to buy a new console every generation. Nintendo's never had any planned obsolescence so if people are happy with a Wii it's not going to spontaneously combust anytime soon. I was still playing my NES when I got my N64.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why they decided that Crisis City, one of the most hated levels in Sonic '06, was something worth remembering is beyond me. The 3DS version was merely average, but at least it had a good selection of levels from past games.

It had a cool aesthetic, at least. That's the most I'll say about the original version. I think they chose the level based on a fan poll, so it may very well be a case where the level was really "popular" because of how hated it was.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

100% of the levels were really fun. Crisis City was one of the best.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

NOTHING about Sonic '06 is worth remembering, but they had to put some form of fire level in the game and to be fair, The Generations levels were quite good.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

CatsPajamas posted:

Wait, really? I had always assumed that was just a joke, and I've never met anyone in person who actually thought that. Is awareness that much of an issue? I remember seeing a study that said the only positive correlation to sales of a game was advertising, and it's a drat shame if that's true for either games or systems.

I was under the impression the Wii appealed to a much broader audience, however the new segments of that audience weren't the kind of people who were going to buy a new console every generation. Nintendo's never had any planned obsolescence so if people are happy with a Wii it's not going to spontaneously combust anytime soon. I was still playing my NES when I got my N64.

In some cases it is a genuine perception issue. When I got my Wii U... close to a year ago now, my sister didn't realise that the Wii U was a new console, and the shiny black box itself, rather than the gamepad. I think its because more and more we see games consoles go through multiple iterations, and for consoles especially you had the Xbox 360 going from plain white to increasingly black and streamlined, so the Wii U ends up looking to some as 'a new model Wii', and not a new console. My brother's been repeatedly amused each time he discovers some new trick of the system he didn't realise it had before, whether its the off tv play or that due to that, and Nintendo having some semblance of a digital service these days, I can play a bunch of already downloaded titles on it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Crisis City is probably one of the more distinctive and memorable levels from that game, since 'post apocalyptic city on fire' doesn't exactly come up in most franchises, let alone Sonic. So it sticks in the mind and, if the game HAS to be represented because dammit we're covering every major game because anniversary, you could certainly do worse.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The only part of Generations I thought sucked was the final boss. I got the trophy for not getting hit but I still have no idea what on earth was even happening in that fight

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

this post is so wrong.

Crisis City was one of the most memorable locations in Sonic 06, which is quite a feat, and the Generations reimagining is easily one of the best stages a game full of good stages. Meanwhile, the 3DS version had over half of the stages be the first level in their respective games (Green Hill, Mushroom Hill, Emerald Coast, and Tropical Resort). Radical Highway, while cool, wasn't even a stage Sonic visited in SA2. Casino Night and Water Palace were the only really good choices here. Also the level design in the 3DS version is really bad and at times outright copy+pasted from the Genesis games (my favorite is the checkpoint right before the goal in Classic Mushroom Hill).

The only bad stage in the home console version is Planet Wisp because they felt the need to make you use a single wisp for most of the stage, which gets annoying fast.

TaurusOxford posted:

NOTHING about Sonic '06 is worth remembering

i don't want to live in a world without sonic 06

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Generations sort of dragged out and became rather unfun after the beginning stages. As for the Crisis City world, that world was the only world I truly liked out of the latter ones. Also, the final boss was very lackluster.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I honestly found the Colours level in Generations to be more offensive. Colours was probably my favourite Sonic game since the Genesis games, but its Generations representation ended up being a LONG, painful and boring level.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Not enough love for City Escape Classic where Sonic gets a skateboard #90sforever

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Crisis City was probably my favorite level in Generations. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it showed a strange world where Sonic 06 could have been okay if the people making it weren't awful at making games.

I didn't mind the Colors level, but it was sort of a let down. That game had some of the most fun, creative level concepts I've ever seen in a platformer and they went with the lamest level in the game. That game had a space armada, a roller coaster in a volcano and a god damned cake/weapons factory and when they chose a level they went with the mountain missile silo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, Crisis City was probably my favorite level in Generations. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it showed a strange world where Sonic 06 could have been okay if the people making it weren't awful at making games.

Or, you know, if the game had actually been finished.

• Locked thread