Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Really? I didn't like it precisely because the whole thing didn't sound right for Superman's voice at all. Especially the bit about "you know what go ahead and do it, I don't care".

Smug fan-writer self-insert is right, dude is using Superman as a sock puppet to express his grievances with the Joker. Whole thing reads like one of those comebacks you come up with AFTER a conversation.

I guess I mean it's not in your typical Superman personality, but he's the only character that could convincingly pull it off. Maybe Clark's just had a bad day and is venting by messing with Joker, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I don't like Landis but Superman knowing Joker wouldn't commit suicide and calling his bluff doesn't seem that out of character to me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think it's the writing of the Joker character that's out of touch. Completely explaining his entire inconsistency schtick, not having a fallback, "why are you laughing", is just a strawman editorial version of the Joker for Superman to rip on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blacksad: Arctic Nation

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
For anyone unsatisfied with that Superman-Joker scene, I think this is the definitive "gently caress the Joker" moment in the history of the character.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

jng2058 posted:

Eh, it conflicts with trad Supes, but New 52 Superman is a dick. Which, you know, is one of the (many, many) reasons people aren't thrilled with the New 52.

Superman being a dick dates all to the Silver Age: http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=28&Itemid=45

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

This is another badass EC comic that definitely belongs here, Master Race, published in 1955. It's notable for both approaching its subject matter with balls and the astonishing visual storytelling:

http://cacb.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/ec-comics-master-race/

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I think it's the writing of the Joker character that's out of touch. Completely explaining his entire inconsistency schtick, not having a fallback, "why are you laughing", is just a strawman editorial version of the Joker for Superman to rip on.

Considering how blindly often the Joker is shown to be an ultimate badass with a quip and a plan for every little occurrence and who is nigh-untouchable until it comes time for his BDSM-beatdown by Batman, I think having one notable exception to the rule is ok.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I agree with you- the problem is it's been done before, and much better. That's just the well-known ones from the animated series. By contrast, this Joker's a strawman with none of the traits that actually define the character.

IndenturedHobo
May 17, 2008

Torchlighter posted:

Well, here's a video of him making GBS threads on the Death and Return of Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

And here's his pitch, which features:

• 17,000 kryptonian corpses. (10:50)
  • Doomsday ripping people in half (11:30)
  • Killing various characters (12:00, 14:45) Note that this would have to be shown in comics.
  • Green Lantern's guts, and other heroes dismemberment's(16:30)
  • And Finally, The Unnecessarily Gory Death of Superman (21:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RWMc-EdDRY

While the nigh fetishistic gore is unnecessary , I actually think this could have been a pretty great story. I think a more metaphorical death of Superman would have been a lot better story-wise than a fake-death-coma ended up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

IndenturedHobo posted:

While the nigh fetishistic gore is unnecessary , I actually think this could have been a pretty great story. I think a more metaphorical death of Superman would have been a lot better story-wise than a fake-death-coma ended up.

Superman's metaphorical death and rebirth was the plot of Kingdom Come.

IndenturedHobo
May 17, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Superman's metaphorical death and rebirth was the plot of Kingdom Come.

I'm sorry, I have never actually read Kingdom Come. Was it any good?

For actual content;

Miracleman #1 (2014)

Because Marvel and Niel Gaiman are actually going to finish this loving thing.

IndenturedHobo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 24, 2014

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

IndenturedHobo posted:

Kingdom Come is both really well written and beautifully illustrated, and I've even recommended and gotten positive responses on it by people who generally couldn't give a poo poo about capes.

The sequel is terrible and should be avoided at all costs, though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IndenturedHobo posted:

It's basically a comic about DC beating up Image:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 24, 2014

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I can think of another two well written "deaths" of Superman that put anything Max Landis can conceive of to shame, Alan Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, a farewell to the Silver Age and Grant Morrison's All Star Superman which also served as a rather fond tribute to Silver Age Superman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

IndenturedHobo posted:

Holy crap, yes.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Alhazred posted:

It's basically a comic about DC beating up Image:

Yeah, I pretty much see kingdom come as a counter reaction to rising popularity of the murderous anti-hero of the late 80s and early 90s, and it's all the better for it.

Magog is basically the anti-hero poster boy, and pretty obviously inspired by characters like Cable

e; might as well quote Alex Ross:

"That's a character that Mark Waid invented that was really just put to me like come up with the most God awful, Rob Liefeld sort of design that you can. What I was stealing from was - really only two key designs of Rob's - the design of Cable. I hated it. I felt like it looked like they just threw up everything on the character - the scars, the thing going on with his eye, the arm, and what's with all the guns? But the thing is, when I put those elements together with the helmet of Shatterstar -- I think that was his name -- well, the ram horns and the gold, suddenly it held together as one of the designs that I felt happiest with in the entire series"

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bohemian Nights posted:

e; might as well quote Alex Ross:

"That's a character that Mark Waid invented that was really just put to me like come up with the most God awful, Rob Liefeld sort of design that you can. What I was stealing from was - really only two key designs of Rob's - the design of Cable. I hated it. I felt like it looked like they just threw up everything on the character - the scars, the thing going on with his eye, the arm, and what's with all the guns? But the thing is, when I put those elements together with the helmet of Shatterstar -- I think that was his name -- well, the ram horns and the gold, suddenly it held together as one of the designs that I felt happiest with in the entire series"

There's a story about how Liefeld reacted when he heard about this. His response was... to brag about how much money he'd made off Cable and Shatterstar.

Which is kinda hard to argue with, to be honest.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
The first time I ever saw Cable I wondered if his robot arm could transform into a boombox that blasts Journey, because he was the most '80s thing I'd ever seen after Robocop.

That art is really making me want to buy a TPB of "Kingdom Come".

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

First Bass posted:

The first time I ever saw Cable I wondered if his robot arm could transform into a boombox that blasts Journey

That would be amazing and legitimately improve the character.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

My shameful secret is that I still really like Cable despite not being 8 years old anymore, though at least now it has more to do with his appearance in Marvel vs Capcom 2 than any comics.

I'm not a huge DC guy, but Kingdom Come is loving great.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Cable is a meh character in a vacuum, but as a straight man to Deadpool he's top notch.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Bohemian Nights posted:

The sequel is terrible and should be avoided at all costs, though.

I sort of remembering that I liked the Offspring comic. I literally can't remember too much more other than that and bits of Son of Batman. Wasn't there a bit when they start using weapons on display in a Planet Krypton restaurant or am I misremembering that scene?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

There's a story about how Liefeld reacted when he heard about this. His response was... to brag about how much money he'd made off Cable and Shatterstar.

Which is kinda hard to argue with, to be honest.

Actually, it's not that hard to argue with. Or to ridicule, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8wLg5Asgo

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IndenturedHobo posted:

For actual content;

Miracleman #1 (2014)

Because Marvel and Niel Gaiman are actually going to finish this loving thing.

Awesome. Do they have rights to the back catalogue as well?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You Am I posted:

Awesome. Do they have rights to the back catalogue as well?

Yes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

First Bass posted:

The first time I ever saw Cable I wondered if his robot arm could transform into a boombox that blasts Journey, because he was the most '80s thing I'd ever seen after Robocop.

That art is really making me want to buy a TPB of "Kingdom Come".

You really should. I'm not a huge DC fan, but it's one of the best comics I've ever read, legitimately, and the artwork is gorgeous. I have (though not in my current flat D:) the special hardcover edition in the slip case with a bunch of additional material, character design notes, interviews, character names, and a long list of 'tiny fun details you might not have noticed'. It's really interesting.

The sequel does kinda stink though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem with Kingdom Come is that some of it can be kind of baffling to someone who isn't up on a lot of DC characters.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

IndenturedHobo posted:

Besides Kingdom Come, Death and Rebirth can easily be read as another "metaphorical death" for Superman at the hands of the 90's EXTREME era. This is why he gets replaced with more 'popular' versions - the young one, the one who kills, the bad-rear end half robot one, and...well, frankly, the token minority representative in John Henry Irons (obviously all these characters went on to do much more interesting things). Death and Rebirth just takes that metaphorical death and makes it completely literal. I read somewhere on these forums that the ability to do this completely straight is one of the more endearing things about cape books - referencing Fantomex being so self-absorbed with himself that eventually he got a female clone of himself and they hooked up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

muscles like this? posted:

A problem with Kingdom Come is that some of it can be kind of baffling to someone who isn't up on a lot of DC characters.

Not really, the story is extremely straightforward. I would argue you don't need to know any of the characters at all.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I didn't know much about DC when I first read it and I'd say the only confusing part was Shazam. Everyone else is explained pretty well in context.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Kingdom Come is the bees' knees, there is no reason to pass it up.

Also I will never-ever-EVER apologize for liking Cable. I don't care that he's a product of the EXTREME era, he's my favorite.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cable is like just about every other X-Treme X-character created between 88 and 2001-- he only became tolerable after years of re-writes and storyarcs that placed him out of the central spotlight and into a more tolerable tertiary role.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Make sure to re-read Kingdom Come with the annotations, there is an incredible amount of detail about all the new characters and the DC universe in general crammed in there.

http://www.enjolrasworld.com/Jess%20Nevins/Kingdom%20Come/Jess%20Nevins%20Kingdom%20Come%201.htm

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Opopanax posted:

I didn't know much about DC when I first read it and I'd say the only confusing part was Shazam. Everyone else is explained pretty well in context.

Same here. The story works with basic familiarity of the big heroes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chinaman7000 posted:

Same here. The story works with basic familiarity of the big heroes.

Thirded. I knew jack and poo poo about DC comics beyond the basics. Kingdom Come still read beautifully.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Now Earth X, there's one where you practically need the Marvel Handbook open to read it. Each issue even begins and ends with Uatu and Machine Man chatting about the various MacGuffins.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Now Earth X, there's one where you practically need the Marvel Handbook open to read it. Each issue even begins and ends with Uatu and Machine Man chatting about the various MacGuffins.
No it doesn't. Everything is explained in such excruciating detail that if you leave not understanding what happened it's because you skipped the mountains of text in each issue, which is completely understandable.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Every issue ends with a text discussion between Uatua and Machine Man explaining the info you need to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Probably not the best Machine Man, though.

Unrelated: now reading Brubaker & Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist run - it's a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.