Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Brannock posted:

I wonder why it isn't dirty tabloid bullshit for one single person to announce to the planet that max temkin allegedly raped a woman in college a decade ago, but it's dirty tabloid bullshit to expose that zoe quinn (by her own admission) repeatedly violated her boyfriend's consent and had unprotected sex with multiple people in a short time period (and chances are good they would not have consented to unprotected sex had they known the facts of what's going on)

I just wonder how things would be if Zoe hadn't been in a relationship when she was out there allegedly screwing game journalists and indiecade judges. If the story didn't involve a woman cheating on her boyfriend, would it be newsworthy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

rainy day posted:

the irony is that if misogynist idiots weren't flinging their poo poo everywhere news outlets would probably be more willing to report on whatever newsworthy elements are actually here.

lol no they wouldn't

also IMO Temkin's rape allegation and Quinn's infidelity are both tabloid bullshit

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
The Cuckspiracy did get coverage in both The Daily Beast and Vice, which both largely tiptoed around the boyfriend's allegations and focused on the harassment.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

rainy day posted:

the irony is that if misogynist idiots weren't flinging their poo poo everywhere news outlets would probably be more willing to report on whatever newsworthy elements are actually here.

Weird I thought they should just do their job but ok.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

rainy day posted:

I agree.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

rainy day posted:

Temkin responded publicly to allegations of sexual assault. Zoe Quinn was accused of infidelity and has faced a huge amount of harassment. If you think these are at all the same thing you're incredibly loving dumb.

Quinn was accused of rape

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

rainy day posted:

cnn breaking news: female game developer cucks boyfriend at least 5 times, details as the story comes in

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Phil Fish raped my dog. I know because he was wearing a fez. I'm willing to sell interview rights for five bitcoins to whomever calls me first.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

rainy day posted:

yeah except when the story first dropped news outlets were totally unwilling to report on it and in fact went to great lengths to cover it up (see: 20k posts deleted by hand) and THEN the poo poo flinging started

not excusing misogynist idiots but when the indie dev/sjw/weird incestuous gaming news cabal side of this story actually fails to hold the moral high ground against a bunch of misogynist 14 year olds you know there's a problem

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Maxwell Adams posted:

I just wonder how things would be if Zoe hadn't been in a relationship when she was out there allegedly screwing game journalists and indiecade judges. If the story didn't involve a woman cheating on her boyfriend, would it be newsworthy?

Switch the genders and you'd still have:
1. Game dev engages in emotional abuse of his partners. Partner reports it. Silenced by community.
2. Woman comes forward to corroborate abuse. She says she was sexually harassed. She's immediately attacked by Phil Fish on twitter.
3. Person posts how they're upset that Game Dev's misbehavior impacted their life. Told by other developers to shut up as game dev has contributed so much to the community.

That'd absolutely be newsworthy.

And that's before getting into any of the financial stuff.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
never have so many words been written about something so inconsequential

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
time to prove how Not Sexist i am by breathlessly defending a revolting excuse of a human being solely because she's a woman

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Check out my new game on Steam Greenlight it's called Rape Quest where you play a female indie game dev and you rape men to get status and control. Use media websites to play the victim and recruit white knights to your cause.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

falcon2424 posted:

Switch the genders and you'd still have:
1. Game dev engages in emotional abuse of his partners. Partner reports it. Silenced by community.
2. Woman comes forward to corroborate abuse. She says she was sexually harassed. She's immediately attacked by Phil Fish on twitter.
3. Person posts how they're upset that Game Dev's misbehavior impacted their life. Told by other developers to shut up as game dev has contributed so much to the community.

That'd absolutely be newsworthy.

And that's before getting into any of the financial stuff.

ya

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Mulefisk posted:

whoever wins we also win because we get to laugh at both sides

Yeah I think places like Koatu who had very little real journalist qualities beforehand now look like comedy pun sites, just completely laughable. Phil Fish and his lashing out in Twitter talking about how loving terrible gamers are, who would hire such an emotion driven person who will quit on you in a flash? And quite possibly turn your whole fan base against you in the process.

All over some poo poo that really could have been wrapped up in a day if people took responsibility for their actions, apologized and moved on or in Phil's case just kept his stupid mouth shut. It is as much our business what Sea Pig Zoe did/does as it is Phil's place to comment on it to the general public.

Dizz posted:

Check out my new game on Steam Greenlight it's called Rape Quest where you play a female indie game dev and you rape men to get status and control. Use media websites to play the victim and recruit white knights to your cause.

Somebody already beat you to release by about a day http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/644805

Bitter Beard fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 24, 2014

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah except when the story first dropped news outlets were totally unwilling to report on it and in fact went to great lengths to cover it up (see: 20k posts deleted by hand) and THEN the poo poo flinging started

not excusing misogynist idiots but when the indie dev/sjw/weird incestuous gaming news cabal side of this story actually fails to hold the moral high ground against a bunch of misogynist 14 year olds you know there's a problem

Thanks for clearing it up, Forbes.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Burn all indie game developers at the stake except for the guy who made papers, please tia.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
i hope phil fish commits seppuku

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
What was the consent she violated with her boyfriend that made her a rapist??

"Baby don't ride my dick of my BAC is above 0.08!"

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tranime scholar posted:

time to prove how Not Sexist i am by breathlessly defending a revolting excuse of a human being solely because she's a woman

do you really think vidya games are the only industry where women get to the top on their backs

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Junkfist posted:

Thanks for clearing it up, Forbes.

:laffo: is this tweet seriously about the zoe quinn thing or is it unrelated

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Peven Stan posted:

do you really think vidya games are the only industry where women get to the top on their backs

who said it was limited to vidya

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Would this have mattered in anything other than the game industry? Didn't Kevin Smith sort of admit to pretty much having sex with a reporter doing an interview with him very shortly after they met?

It's all good gossip and scandal, but the only sort of legit industry-related interesting part of the whole thing is the allegations of people who were wanting to voice their opinion and observation what they saw as unethical and hypocritical industry behavior being told to keep quiet about it.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

I hate yankees posted:

by her own logic if either of them ever had sex with another person while in the relationship, that would be a violation of consent. she broke her own made up rules and i have no problem holding it against her

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

I hate yankees posted:

She said you can't consent to sex with someone who is cheating because they could have teh clap or anything.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

nnnotime posted:

What's a good alternative to Kotaku and related SJW ilk? I liked Kotaku's gaming news content but always got annoyed at their SJW BS and frequent revealing of spoilers in their news headlines. I had no idea Rock, Paper, Shotgun also had SJW influences.

your an idiot

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Zoe Quinn. Followed by:

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

I hate yankees posted:

AFAIK, she's not a rapist according to the legal definition but according to her own definition (don't cheat on your SO, don't have sex with your SO right after having sex with someone else). Really she's not a rapist as much as she's a hypocrite.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Date of tweet fits.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Pawn 17 posted:

You could try http://www.gamerheadlines.com/ I didn't really know about them until all of this went down, but they seem alright I guess.

I usually use the games forum, metacritic and sometimes the user reviews in Steam.
Thanks, will try gamerheadlines. I see Gamerheadlines is also complaining they have been harassed for posting articles on this story? Even TotalBiscuit has been harassed? :psyduck:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who the gently caress actually reads gaming news? How hard is it to just go to a companies website and read the poo poo yourself?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It is.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I hate yankees posted:

loving someone without their consent is not cool. loving someone under false premises is also a violation of consent. loving someone while knowingly withholding information that would have otherwise have made them revoke consent to gently caress you is also, and still, violating consent.

zoe quinn explained to her boyfriend that if you cheated on zoe quinn, she would never consent to have sex with him.

therefore if you cheat on zoe, and don't tell her (read: lied to her), and then proceed to have sex with her, you are raping her.

zoe quinn browbeat her boyfriend into agreeing with this academic definition of consent and he ended up convinced by her argument (and, to be honest, it's a pretty solid argument and holds up academically. it's unenforceable legally though, you'd impound half the country for rape if you tried to legislate that definition)

zoe quinn then proceeded to gently caress other men while in a committed monogamous relationship and not tell her boyfriend. she then proceeded to gently caress her boyfriend in between loving other men. I'm sure you can see the problem here given the above premises

on top of that, to hide her infidelity, zoe hosed her boyfriend without condoms specifically to hide the fact that she was loving other men (because if she'd asked her boyfriend to use condoms then it would have arisen suspicion from him)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

Would this have mattered in anything other than the game industry? Didn't Kevin Smith sort of admit to pretty much having sex with a reporter doing an interview with him very shortly after they met?

It's all good gossip and scandal, but the only sort of legit industry-related interesting part of the whole thing is the allegations of people who were wanting to voice their opinion and observation what they saw as unethical and hypocritical industry behavior being told to keep quiet about it.

Not to mention retired general william petraeus who was banging that reporter and gave her priority access and kept her career afloat on exclusives straight from the horses mouth. The amount of sturm and drang exists only due to nerds being horrified that non-manchildren do this kind of poo poo all the time and its generally frowned upon.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The Landstander posted:

Zoe Quinn. Followed by:

nobody is saying "this raises some questions" because the only question it raises is did zoe have to go all the way with reporters for coverage or was a quick beej enough

i think she could have gotten away with a handy j but better safe than sorry iykwim

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

I hate yankees posted:

On their very first date she told the boyfriend that if he cheated on her then she would not have consented to the sex therefore he would be raping her

She then proceeds to literally gently caress other guys without protection within hours of loving her boyfriend while telling him not to wear protection because she hadn't been with anyone else

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Does anyone have the jpg handy of the guy who posted on twitter about being sexually harassed and immediately chickens out once Phil Fish attacked him?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Brannock posted:

on top of that, to hide her infidelity, zoe hosed her boyfriend without condoms specifically to hide the fact that she was loving other men (because if she'd asked her boyfriend to use condoms then it would have arisen suspicion from him)

this is still, by far, the worst part. who the gently caress rawdogs with random strangers in the year 2014. she could have easily given everyone involved loving HIV or something

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Does anyone have the jpg handy of the guy who posted on twitter about being sexually harassed and immediately chickens out once Phil Fish attacked him?

Marvel at the Humanity.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Brannock posted:

Additionally Quinn and her boyfriend both agreed upon their boundaries and specifically what actions would be considered violating sexual consent -- otherwise known as rape. Which Quinn did.

need more detail here - how is she a rapist?

edit: beaten.

not rape. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The project is back up - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/women-making-video-games-for-charity

• Locked thread