Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Roar posted:

youtube comments

Man he sure told six-years-ago them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Roar posted:

youtube comments

Roar, I think you browser is haunted. Or possessed. Either way, you need an internet exorcist.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Every Retsupurae video has comments like that. Either that or "I can't tell who's talking and who's playing the game".

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
It's actually our second mention on Cracked - first time was an article entirely on George Wood. It was actually a good article!

http://www.cracked.com/funny-5818-george-wood/

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roar posted:

youtube comments

Hello fellow dark Styles user. :hf:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

It's actually our second mention on Cracked - first time was an article entirely on George Wood. It was actually a good article!

http://www.cracked.com/funny-5818-george-wood/

Was that actually a front-page article? I thought the Topics were effectively fanwiki territory.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

Was that actually a front-page article? I thought the Topics were effectively fanwiki territory.

Oh, are they? I don't go super in-depth into Cracked, so I'm not sure.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

slowbeef posted:

Oh, are they? I don't go super in-depth into Cracked, so I'm not sure.

Same, I'm more of a fark guy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

When Topics were Cracked's new thing they selected a few to appear on the front page every so often. Judging by the views though that one probably wasn't.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hello everyone. I am doing a statistics class for school, and I need your help answering a poll: video games or anime? (The anime is dubbed, not subbed, if that helps you make your decision)

I want to do a quick follow-up to this. Next year's textbook actually already studied this in-depth, and the answer was (dubbed) anime. Thank you to everyone who participated.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Dish posted:

I want to do a quick follow-up to this. Next year's textbook actually already studied this in-depth, and the answer was (dubbed) anime. Thank you to everyone who participated.

When can we expect your screenshot LP of this book Suspicious Dish, and how many from LP and ADTWR do you hope to get to buy this with it?

Editorial Review posted:

Grade 10 Up–Rui is introduced to &statistics with heart-pounding excitement& when she develops a crush on Igarashi, her father&'s market-research business associate. In an attempt to impress him, the teen asks her father for a personal tutor and is devastated when he enlists Yamamoto, a bespectacled geek, as her instructor. As Rui gamely struggles through some basic lessons, readers learn about distribution tables and deviation scores. Naturally, love finally blossoms. In a moment of frustration, Rui knocks off Yamamoto&'s glasses and sees his eyes for the first time, and hers fill with hearts. This manga textbook is written for those interested in understanding principles of statistics. Each of the seven chapters is organized into four sections: a cartoon, a text explanation to supplement the cartoon, an exercise that includes the answer, and a summary. Readers can learn much about the subject by just reading the cartoon, but they will gain a more thorough understanding by working through the other three sections in each chapter. Yamamoto provides Rui with easy-to-understand examples and graphic illustrations, making the subject less intimidating. The book progresses in difficulty, beginning with data types and advancing to &tests of independence.& Clearly, readers need a solid understanding of mathematics to grasp these concepts. The art is charming and the humor engaging. Readers will enjoy following Rui as she struggles with math concepts while showing off her new school uniform and realizing her romantic feelings for her tutor. A fun and fairly painless lesson on what many consider to be a less-than-thrilling subject.–Barbara M. Moon, Suffolk Cooperative Library System, Bellport, NY
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Nksor
Feb 1, 2013
To clarify on the JonTron thing that was discussed a bit back, the comic he linked was relevant to him because it had him in it, and it wasn't just Zoe Quinn and Phil Fish.

Anyway, what is your take on the ALS ice bucket challenge? Most "big" YouTube LPers have done it or are going to do it, so I figured it'd be relevant enough.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It gives the people doing it more publicity than it gives ALS research. It has given it quite a lot but it will probably be forgotten on a few weeks.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's literally caused the high water mark of ALS donations so who gives a gently caress about who does. You go do it. Everybody go get dunked.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I got to watch Mitt Romney get a bucket of water dumped on him, so I think it's a rousing success.

Also, money is being raised to combat a horrifying disease, and that is also good.

If you decide to take the challenge, though, you should probably take care, especially if you're on blood pressure medication. At least have a buddy there ready to drive you to the hospital.

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013
I thought the ice water bucket challenge was to get water poured over you or donate money and then I though that it was a lovely idea for famous people to go "I will pour cold water all over me so I don't have to donate money for charity!"

Then I found out you actually do both; so now I don't see it as being as lovely anymore. I haven't seen any let's players doing it though but plenty other celebrities

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, Guavamoment just threw the gauntlet at Jade Star and Psion, so there's at least one you could name.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Nihilarian posted:

Take care, especially if you're on blood pressure medication. At least have a buddy there ready to drive you to the hospital.

Or a frog.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm totally cool (har har) with it. I've seen a lot of sour grapes complaining about it, whining about how nobody would care unless celebrities "jumped on the bandwagon" and using it to complain about the state of modern society in general, claiming that we're all a bunch of fad-obsessed retards who only do good things if famous people tell us to. Some of them even think that dumping water on your head is completely useless and does nothing to help ALS, despite the challenge having brought the disease into public prominence and I think raised something ridiculous like $50 million so far.

The complainers just seem like a lot of cynical bastards who just can't be happy with the state of society because it would mean that they couldn't have something to feel smug and sanctimonious about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm totally cool (har har) with it. I've seen a lot of sour grapes complaining about it, whining about how nobody would care unless celebrities "jumped on the bandwagon" and using it to complain about the state of modern society in general, claiming that we're all a bunch of fad-obsessed retards who only do good things if famous people tell us to. Some of them even think that dumping water on your head is completely useless and does nothing to help ALS, despite the challenge having brought the disease into public prominence and I think raised something ridiculous like $50 million so far.

The complainers just seem like a lot of cynical bastards who just can't be happy with the state of society because it would mean that they couldn't have something to feel smug and sanctimonious about.

I'm also hearing people complaining about them wasting water too because California is in a drought. A drought that our planet of California is suffering from collectively, it seems. [I'm sure there's more than California struggling with that, actually but eh, researching that.]

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I'm also hearing people complaining about them wasting water too because California is in a drought. A drought that our planet of California is suffering from collectively, it seems. [I'm sure there's more than California struggling with that, actually but eh, researching that.]

Also I think the amount of water used in a single ice bucket challenge is less than what you'd get from running the shower for a minute or two, unless you're the guys dumping entire garbage cans or Rubbermaid bins worth of it. As far as I know, California is not currently in so much of a drought that people need to choose between 2 minutes of shower and dehydrating to death.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The ice bucket challenge thing has been attributed to over ten million dollars of funds raised for ALS so the people claiming it's stupid and pointless probably should do some research!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CJacobs posted:

The ice bucket challenge thing has been attributed to over ten million dollars of funds raised for ALS so the people claiming it's stupid and pointless probably should do some research!

Do research before complaining about something on the internet? :psyboom:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think the best ice bucket challenge is Patrick Stewart's.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Samiz posted:

I thought the ice water bucket challenge was to get water poured over you or donate money and then I though that it was a lovely idea for famous people to go "I will pour cold water all over me so I don't have to donate money for charity!"

Then I found out you actually do both; so now I don't see it as being as lovely anymore. I haven't seen any let's players doing it though but plenty other celebrities
The reasoning behind having icy water poured all over you is to experience firsthand how people that suffer from ALS feel. Except that these people feel that way pretty much all of the time and they don't ask for it.

But yeah, people out here will always find out ways to whine about charity events.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The original rules were i believe

1.If you're challenged and don't do it, donate 100 dollars
2.If you're challenged and do it, you dump ice water on yourself and only have to donate 10 dollars?

I mean i can only hope people are doing it and then donating but then just aren't showing proof of it or something.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Samiz posted:

Conan O'Brien's video is great because it is basically this post.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I retract me previous statements about it. It seems like a really good thing. :shobon:

(Though some people may or may not have broken their necks trying to do it from high heights or whatever and I really hope they are okay :ohdear:)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
do the ice bucket challenge slow beef

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I was kind of hoping for a Zoe Quinn video game therapist just to see the comments.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Suspicious Dish posted:

do the ice bucket challenge slow beef

If I get challenged I'm gonna challenge slowbeef.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

The reasoning behind having icy water poured all over you is to experience firsthand how people that suffer from ALS feel. Except that these people feel that way pretty much all of the time and they don't ask for it.

But yeah, people out here will always find out ways to whine about charity events.

That's great and all, but it would be even better if the people who accept the challenge would actually try to at least briefly educate people and not just say it's "That thing on Facebook" or nothing at all. I'm not exactly following Ice Bucket challenges but none of those that I've seen have done anything to that effect. Which makes it less raising awareness and more just being dumb enough to pour ice cold water over you for no reason at all.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

IGgy IGsen posted:

That's great and all, but it would be even better if the people who accept the challenge would actually try to at least briefly educate people and not just say it's "That thing on Facebook" or nothing at all. I'm not exactly following Ice Bucket challenges but none of those that I've seen have done anything to that effect. Which makes it less raising awareness and more just being dumb enough to pour ice cold water over you for no reason at all.

Except you have to remember that the sample of the people you know on facebook is not equal to the world at large. It seems to be doing well for raising money, and the usual thing where "is this really a good thing?" is happening on news websites.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Figure I'd be apart of this and share some drama. I'm cross posting this from the Dota2 Thread. Basically shadey poo poo may or may not be happening in the world of GAME CASTING. One of them being Tobi trying to get exclusivity on a gig and the other being CyborgMatt being completely chill with it until he didn't get his way on something. Something about not having mod privileges in the join dota twitch. Which is silly but also equally skeevy to let this sort of thing slide.

Zain fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 26, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
*clicks Close this window button*

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh wow, Twitch now belongs firmly in the hands of Amazon now, after a $1 BILLION"+" deal.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/amazon-to-buy-video-site-twitch-for-more-than-1-billion-1408988885

Holy hell.

BMS fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 26, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BMS posted:

Oh wow, Twitch now belongs firmly in the hands of Amazon now, after a $1 BILLION"+" deal.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/amazon-to-buy-video-site-twitch-for-more-than-1-billion-1408988885

Well that was unexpected...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Maybe they'll make Twitch not poo poo. Or rush it to an early grave allowing for hitbox to have more prominence.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The original rules were i believe

1.If you're challenged and don't do it, donate 100 dollars
2.If you're challenged and do it, you dump ice water on yourself and only have to donate 10 dollars?

I mean i can only hope people are doing it and then donating but then just aren't showing proof of it or something.

LRR (yeah, they do game stuff on their streams, close enough) did donate a nice chunk on top of the challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NHQYekDhz8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BMS posted:

Holy hell.

Better than google.

• Locked thread