Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its quite simple. The "enemies" jump from room to room and if theyre adjacent to your security cabin they will move (teleport) in and kill you. The only way to stop this is by closing the doors. You cant keep them closed forever though, and using the cameras all the time will drain your energy too quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Five Nights at Freedy's is more like an anxiety simulator. The jump scares are mostly when you are going to be killed. Only one jumps out of the door to kill you but after a few times, you can tell when it's gonna happen if you aren't careful. Most of the time, you are checking on them to make sure they don't move in close enough to kill you.

Nothing more horrifying then hearing a Da Dum DUM or the sounds of a bunny hopping closer to kill you. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 24, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lance Streetman posted:

Not surprising. The idea that an enemy can and will kill you if you so much as blink is far more terrifying than having some boogeyman jump out of a closet and scream at you.

A good scare comes from suspense rather than just startling the player or viewer. Even FEAR managed it to some extent with the radio interference forewarning psychic shenanigans.

And then by going against type by having Alma standing over you as you climb down a ladder without warning :suspense:. First time I got to that part, I screamed like a little girl and accidentally mashed spacebar, plummeting to my death.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Has anyone gotten through Shadowgate yet? I'm stuck as hell and it's too new for walkthroughs.

Theres a walkthrough for master here. But it doesn't explain the solutions, like where to find out what levers to pull or whatever.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
From what little I've seen of Five Nights at Freddys, it seems like the game has no music either, but really good use of creepy ambient noise/sounds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FrickenMoron posted:

Its quite simple. The "enemies" jump from room to room and if theyre adjacent to your security cabin they will move (teleport) in and kill you. The only way to stop this is by closing the doors. You cant keep them closed forever though, and using the cameras all the time will drain your energy too quickly.

So you use the cameras to make them stop advancing and switch between rooms to handle more than one? Is that how it works?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ryuga Death posted:

From what little I've seen of Five Nights at Freddys, it seems like the game has no music either, but really good use of creepy ambient noise/sounds.

:v: I think it'd pair well with this: http://www.showbizpizza.com/radio/index.html

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

So you use the cameras to make them stop advancing and switch between rooms to handle more than one? Is that how it works?
No, for the most part all the camera does is to locate where they are so you can close the doors if they get too close.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

No you just use the camera (which drains your power) to see where they are and if one of them is in the rooms close to you you shut the door (which also uses power).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

No, for the most part all the camera does is to locate where they are so you can close the doors if they get too close.

It's kinda funny the story has you as a security guard inside and you can't do anything - like are you there to clean up if the robots break dishes? -, when you should just be a security guard outside the building and keep the front door locked.

Like, why are you even inside the building with rampaging murderous robots?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, in any night after the first they move too fast for you to "stop" them with the cameras. Within a second after you move off them they'll be on the move again. When the difficulty ramps up the cameras won't even slow them down, and while you can freeze them while the camera's on them, that just leaves you open to an attack from a different robot. Also, again, it drains power continuously.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

It's kinda funny the story has you as a security guard inside and you can't do anything, when you should just be a security guard outside the building and keep the front door locked.

:monocle: Woah

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

exquisite tea posted:

No, you close the doors to stop them advancing. The cameras don't do poo poo aside from letting you see where they are.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

really makes u think.

You should hire a security guard for your mind because it's getting blown up.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Drifter posted:

It's kinda funny the story has you as a security guard inside and you can't do anything - like are you there to clean up if the robots break dishes? -, when you should just be a security guard outside the building and keep the front door locked.

The real question is, why does a children's restaurant with murderous robots even need security? Couldn't the robots be considered watch dogs?

Edit: Apparently the robots aren't programmed to recognize humans as such at night, and think humans are robots who aren't in suits, which is a violation of the rules. They then try to force humans into the suits, which kills them. Why not just have the security guy wear a human-friendly suit?

vvv The security guard isn't armed and apparently doesn't have access to a phone to call anyone to get help. What's stopping the robots from escaping whenever they want?

Fake edit: Whoops, thought about a horror game story logically. Won't do that again v:v:v

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 24, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gorilla Radio posted:

The real question is, why does a children's restaurant with murderous robots even need security? Couldn't the robots be considered watch dogs?

What if they escaped? Who watches the watchdogs?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Coming this week to steam...

Super Time Force Ultra - An Xbox One "exclusive" -- woops

Metro 2033/Last Light Redux - People love these games!!

World of Diving - An underwater diving sim?? The top review says "This game is awesome! I look down, and I can see the boobies my character has!"

Appointment with F.E.A.R. - hi I'm calling because I need to reschedule my appointment with fear, my son's little league team is in the playoffs. will F.E.A.R. be available to see me in october?

Airship Dragoon - "Traditional Uber-Hardcore Turn-Based Steampunk Squad Tactics - with no concessions to casualization" imagine the sneer as the developer typed this out

FATE: The Traitor Soul - what the gently caress WildTangent still exists?!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think at this point a console exclusive just implies that it will be the platform of release, initially. Especially with those crappy-looking indie games.

And anyone still wanting to play that FATE game should instead be playing Depths of Peril or Din's Curse.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 24, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gorilla Radio posted:

Edit: Apparently the robots aren't programmed to recognize humans as such at night, and think humans are robots who aren't in suits, which is a violation of the rules. They then try to force humans into the suits, which kills them. Why not just have the security guy wear a human-friendly suit?

Because the robots then think you're an empty suit and try to stuff an endoskeleton inside of you. :gonk:

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

poptart_fairy posted:

Because the robots then think you're an empty suit and try to stuff an endoskeleton inside of you. :gonk:

Ok, I haven't played the game, and am going to wait until it's on sale/closer to Halloween, but is this canon or are you joking?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Someone is gonna have to review that Airship Dragoon game. 100 hours campaign length? Sure, ok.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gorilla Radio posted:

vvv The security guard isn't armed and apparently doesn't have access to a phone to call anyone to get help. What's stopping the robots from escaping whenever they want?

Fake edit: Whoops, thought about a horror game story logically. Won't do that again v:v:v

Your spoiler surprisingly makes a sort of sense as a motivation for a horror game. haha, wow.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Metro 2033/Last Light Redux - People love these games!!

Would the new engine give better performance on identical graphics settings or is it going to be same/worse performance yet prettier looking?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yesss

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Gorilla Radio posted:

Ok, I haven't played the game, and am going to wait until it's on sale/closer to Halloween, but is this canon or are you joking?

The 2nd shift security guard suggests playing dead so the bots think you're an empty suit, then changes his mind because he thinks they'd probably ram a skeleton into you. Whether it actually would go down like that is up to the players imagination

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just finished Deus Ex: The Fall.

.... why the hell did I do that?

What a crummy piece of poo poo. At least it was pretty quick running through the game as a shotgun murder machine.

I presume the "to be continued" end will never actually be continued, right?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The funny thing about Five Nights at Freddy's...

Playing dead helps a little if you lose power. Pretty much when the power dies out, you see Freddy appear in the door to the left, and you hear a jingle. Depending on how long the jingle is, you can either survive until the scene turns to 6am (aka you survive that night) or the jingle cuts short and you inevitably wait until Freddy kills you. Basically when the power goes out, don't move and pray Freddy decides to let you live. I like this part because you only see his face light up and he's just trolling you as if the jingle was his way of declaring victory that he's gonna kill you.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

FATE: The Traitor Soul - what the gently caress WildTangent still exists?!

I thought FATE was completely superseded by Torchlight? Or did they actually innovate the genre in some way?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Roumba posted:

Would the new engine give better performance on identical graphics settings or is it going to be same/worse performance yet prettier looking?

The Last Light engine is so much better optimized than 2033, so the Redux version of the first game should look significantly better, and run smoother too. Last Light Redux might get a little performance boost if they've improved the DX11 support, but otherwise not too many gameplay changes expected there.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

same. super time force looks rad and i thought we were gonna have to wait a year to get it on steam. thank god the xbone is tanking :D

now all we need is the hyper arcade remix dlc for dead rising 3 to come to the pc version

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Roumba posted:

The art is better but apparently they toned down the volumetric lighting and particle effects in 2033 Redux over the original. Depends which is a bigger deal to you but it sounds like overall 2033 Redux is an improvement over the original in nearly every way. Guess you could still buy the originals if you wanted to see the difference.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Organs posted:

same. super time force looks rad and i thought we were gonna have to wait a year to get it on steam. thank god the xbone is tanking :D

now all we need is the hyper arcade remix dlc for dead rising 3 to come to the pc version

it wasn't even really bone exclusive, it's on 360 too which makes the super fast exclusivity period weird. guess they just wanted to get it on pc asap.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Awesome! posted:

it wasn't even really bone exclusive, it's on 360 too which makes the super fast exclusivity period weird. guess they just wanted to get it on pc asap.
It could just be console exclusive on XBOX. The industry seems to treat PC as separate than consoles.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I was wondering since I couldn't find it anywhere on GMG website. If you preorder a Steamworks game from them, in my case, Beyond Earth, do you still get the Map Pack that will inevitably get thrown in as DLC? I mean, either way I'd rather get 25 percent off and pay a few bucks for DLC if I have to, but I'm not sure how steam handles preorders done through other websites. Is it done on a game by game basis, or are all preorders the same for steam games regardless of where they are ordered from?

edit vvvvv Thanks, got to the page through a really weird referral/link thing as I don't use GMG, didn't realize the info was on the regular store page.

Also, I would have taken the GMG 20 percent discount regardless, but why isn't Steam offering even 10 percent for a preorder? I might have not bothered looking for a deal if they had, since I've gotten that type of deal in the past.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 24, 2014

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Steam preorder DLC is only for stuff you buy through Steam. The other retailers list what DLC you get if you buy through them. Sometimes they are the same but sometimes they differ. If GMG doesn't list the map pack then you probably won't get it.

Edit: The GMG page says you get it.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

FirstAidKite posted:

Just wanna tell people that Max Gentleman is a pretty fun game and is also free so everyone should try it. You have no excuse not to, to be honest.

Oh poo poo I played this at PAX East and had no idea that it got a Steam release! Yeah I'm nthing this recommendation.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Red Faction: Armageddon is so strange to me because when you're in the thick of it using powers and blowing poo poo up you can tell that it could be a really fun game if the devs hadn't made the decision to have the entire thing set in identical caves with generic bug enemies.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

On the subject of Red Faction, Red Faction: Origins is apparently a thing that exists

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

On the subject of Red Faction, Red Faction: Origins is apparently a thing that exists
Oh jesus, that thing. Why did you remind me.

I've been playing Darkwind: War On Wheels. It's less of a video game and more a digitized tabletop game. It's Car Wars: The RPG Video Game, the computer does all the hard movement stuff for you but that's it mostly.
Getting a thing/race/deathrace/combat/scout in general started is confusing. You need to bounce between your Browser/Steam Web and the Game Client to organize cars and your gang and whatever. You have to wait on the game, the game doesn't wait for you, etc.

Also the damage your gangers can take have a Space Station 13 level of "Not needed but great" detail. Like crashing so hard your face mashes into your brain.

Permadeath for your gang members, injuries everywhere (From bruised ribs to losing toes from shrapnel), drug addictions.

It's not for most people at all but if you're into that kind of thing, it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Started Binary Domain, immediately wished I could remap the controls (aim was Back button, shoot was start, L/R looked up and down?? right stick didn't even work). Not that I can't play it with M+KB but I've been leanback gaming a lot, it's a little disappointing. I'll come back to it later. Obviously that's a glitch or something.

• Locked thread