Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks :) I've been sitting on these for ages, building them up and painting them for a pretty cheap price tbh, but the last few days I've been able to put down a lot of paint. The monotone bits will be done in cream/bone with different patterns for each one, then the edges and some of the mechanical bits will be done in brass. For weathering a shitload of weathering pigments on the metal bits, some battle damage and scratches and a dusty overcoat and job done, then on to more of the same guy's Dark Angels and other things.

e: also the pictures are not good, new phone/camera, my proper camera was left in a friend's car last week!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Cataphract posted:

You're acting like the FOC is the same as it was in 6th. if you want to run more elites then run multiple detachments unbound or in the case of GK the nemesis strike force detachment.

I really don't understand how folks complain about changes to the game/codexes when those changes have been mitigated by changes to the basic rules months ago. Being troops is not a big deal anymore, following the FOC is not a big deal anymore.

Well it is when you consider that with each Detachment of the same faction is going to require you to purchase a minimum 1 HQ and 2 Troops before you even get to the elite etc.. that you want.

Being able to just take 4 Biker Squads without the troop tax is pretty keen.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

That's not always true, Some tournaments i have seen is just you get one primary CAD and one ally/dataslate. I know most people say that troops in 7th aren't import because of everything scores. I disagree with this i have had many games come down to who has objective secured and that would have lost me the game if it hadn't gone one more turn.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

SoftDrink posted:

That's not always true, Some tournaments i have seen is just you get one primary CAD and one ally/dataslate. I know most people say that troops in 7th aren't import because of everything scores. I disagree with this i have had many games come down to who has objective secured and that would have lost me the game if it hadn't gone one more turn.

Amen brutha. Come up against a list like my marine one, with three OS drop pods capturing 1/3-1/2 the board in the first few turns, and you'll see the value of OS troops. I've won games where I've been slaughtered almost to a man with double digit victory points because I played purely to the objectives.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cataphract posted:

You're acting like the FOC is the same as it was in 6th. if you want to run more elites then run multiple detachments unbound or in the case of GK the nemesis strike force detachment.

I really don't understand how folks complain about changes to the game/codexes when those changes have been mitigated by changes to the basic rules months ago. Being troops is not a big deal anymore, following the FOC is not a big deal anymore.

You're also ignoring that a lot of people flat out refuse to play Unbound because they think it's cheesy or unfair.

And like others have posted, lots of tournaments restrict detachments, so the FoC kinda still is a big deal to most, even if GW doesn't want it to be.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
This kind of trend also doesn't bode well for armies that function off the kind of FoC manipulation we're used to. What if the next CSM book comes out and you can no longer have cult units like Plague Marines as troops? Or removing Deathwing/Ravenwing entirely? Bike SM armies might end up being a thing of the past with the next book.

It wouldn't be much of a problem if ObSec didn't exist, but since it does a lot of people build lists with that in mind. Not having it on your troops can really kill any attempt at winning a game unless you wipe out any opposing unit that has them, which is easier said than done.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So after talking about DoW so much yesterday, I played a game. I got killed about half an hour in and watched two teams of two AI opponents try to kill each other as a spectator. For 20 minutes there were just these giant armies running around in circles, psykers constantly screaming, Commissars executing people nowhere near the fight, and nobody ever coming close to killing each other. It was like watching two crazy people play.

So I checked my painting progress document, and I've had this guy assembled for almost two years now! Despite the crazy amount of detail on him, he painted up really quickly.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Goddamnit. I got real drunk last night and at some point ordered a Lynx from Forgeworld. So now that's happening. :ohdear:

In other news I won a 1,500 point tournament yesterday! Took down the guys that placed 3rd and 4th to get there as well.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'm still flirting with a Tyranid project in the near future once I've sorted out all my bases - bone bodies, blue carapaces. I was looking to do possibly ice world bases, and was looking at the Dragon Forge website (I'm UK based but their shipping isn't completely outrageous with the exchange rate). Are they any good? Does anyone have recommendations for ice bases?

Thanks in advance. I wanted to put some srs effort into this project as the model count would be relatively low (going for MCs and medium creatures rather than a swarm).

E: Also, alternative sprays and stuff? Is Army Painted any good?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm still flirting with a Tyranid project in the near future once I've sorted out all my bases - bone bodies, blue carapaces. I was looking to do possibly ice world bases, and was looking at the Dragon Forge website (I'm UK based but their shipping isn't completely outrageous with the exchange rate). Are they any good? Does anyone have recommendations for ice bases?

Thanks in advance. I wanted to put some srs effort into this project as the model count would be relatively low (going for MCs and medium creatures rather than a swarm).

E: Also, alternative sprays and stuff? Is Army Painted any good?

Dragon Forge's bases are great. Army Painter is also an excellent product, just be sure to follow the instructions. My Dark Angels were painted with Army Painter and mounted on Dragon Forge bases:

I used their Angel Green and Bone colors for sprays, and got the matching bottled paints to make sure they were consistent. I also used their Crystal Blue on my Ultramarines and Greenskin on my retro Cadians. I recommend them highly.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So now that I have a Lynx, I guess, I've been thinking of cool ways to use it. How tournament viable do you think this would be?

- Spiritseer
x4 Wave Serpent (5 Dire Avengers each)
x1 Crimson Hunter
x1 Fire Prism
x1 Nightspinner
x1 Wraithknight (stock)
x1 Lynx

It's basically an Eldar armored column at 2000 points. Throwing down 7 tanks, 1 super-heavy, 1 flyer, and the Wraithknight in 2000 points.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

Boon posted:

So now that I have a Lynx, I guess, I've been thinking of cool ways to use it. How tournament viable do you think this would be?

- Spiritseer
x4 Wave Serpent (5 Dire Avengers each)
x1 Crimson Hunter
x1 Fire Prism
x1 Nightspinner
x1 Wraithknight (stock)
x1 Lynx

It's basically an Eldar armored column at 2000 points. Throwing down 7 tanks, 1 super-heavy, 1 flyer, and the Wraithknight in 2000 points.

You need more Wraithknights and War walkers.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

So i really like how the Legion Sicaran looks it is a cool model. So i think i'am going to pick one up for my Blood Angles. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with it and how good it is.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It has too many curved surfaces to really go well with the Blood Angles.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Cataphract posted:

As others have said: almost no tournaments allow unbound. Many tournaments prohibit multiple CADs. Even most casual gamers are leery of unbound, and rightfully so- it's a bit of a clusterfuck. Not every unbound army is automatically a monstrosity, but like many other things in 40K it is a bit of a warning flag for most people.

Boon posted:

*deletia*

Is it the Pulsar or Sonic Lance version? The Pulsar one is alright as a solution to other heavy tanks that Serpent lists can otherwise struggle with a bit; the Sonic Lance is an amazing way to destroy infantry in spades. The former is entirely useable or even good, depending on if your group uses the Escalation rules that additionally penalize superheavies (by the rulebook they only apply when using the special Escalation missions.) The latter is a powerhouse and can clean out whole armies if not kept in check, although it is quite fragile.

SoftDrink posted:

So i really like how the Legion Sicaran looks it is a cool model. So i think i'am going to pick one up for my Blood Angles. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with it and how good it is.

The Sicaran is amazing, easily one of the better units in the game these days. It's Fast, has a six-shot Rending Autocannon that ignores Jink saves, can get sponsons for cheap, has strong armor values (13/12/10), and is just generally good in every conceivable way. The only semi-limiting factor is that you can only field one unless you take a specific HQ choice (which can be more or less of a disadvantage depending on your army.)

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Cataphract posted:

Being troops is not a big deal anymore, following the FOC is not a big deal anymore.

Has this really been the case for you? Objective Secured has been a game-winning ability in the majority of the 7th edition games I've played. Particularly against people with the opinion you express here.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AbusePuppy posted:

The Sicaran is amazing, easily one of the better units in the game these days. It's Fast, has a six-shot Rending Autocannon that ignores Jink saves, can get sponsons for cheap, has strong armor values (13/12/10), and is just generally good in every conceivable way. The only semi-limiting factor is that you can only field one unless you take a specific HQ choice (which can be more or less of a disadvantage depending on your army.)
That sounds brutal! I don't think I'd like the look of one with sponsons since it's relatively sleek for a Marine tank, but that's seriously sick.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Has this really been the case for you? Objective Secured has been a game-winning ability in the majority of the 7th edition games I've played. Particularly against people with the opinion you express here.
Objective Secured is yet to really impact any of my games, but I can see where it would. Most of my games of 7th have been shooting vs. shooting so we don't get entirely too close to contest the same objectives that much.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Objective secured is almost priceless. Being able to have that last surviving troop that is being trounced by termis or other elites fully claim a nearby objective or deny it to them for an extra turn is great if you're playing Maelstrom.

And having it on bikes and other fast movers lets you easily threaten enemy objectives that are being held by non-troops. "So, you're holding your home objective with these Havocs here? Nope, now I am with my jetbikes. Also, I score a d3 VPs this turn thanks to that!"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

So I checked my painting progress document, and I've had this guy assembled for almost two years now! Despite the crazy amount of detail on him, he painted up really quickly.

That looks great, dude! Especially good job on those horns, that's never been a strength of mine and I dig that way yours look.

The one thing that's always bugged me about this model [not your fault, obviously] is those three tentacle things growing out of his side. I understand the 'chaotic mutations' thing and wanting to look really asymmetrical but even painted in a muted way like you've done it just draws so much more attention than it should given its lack of in-game significance. Good call coloring it like the bones, though, that definitely helps integrate what I consider to be a very strange modeling decision.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Thanks! Those tentacles are a really weird detail, without a doubt. I'm not exactly bonkers about them myself, but I figured if I kept them in a similar palette to the bones they'd look good enough. As for the horns, I wish they were smoother but I'm pretty happy with them in general. They were super easy! I painted the whole area with Steel Legion Drab then with Screaming Skull, leaving the Drab at the very base. I washed the whole thing with a sepia wash, then just the bottom with Agrax Earthshade. I then just drybrushed from the top down with Screaming Skull and then a tiny bit of pure white. I'll definitely be painting the rest of the horns I come across like this in the future.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

I'm trying to decide on my Ork list for the goonpile on Cataphract this week. Sounds like we're playing at 1500, and probably fairly casual. I'm trying to stick to using stuff I have painted because I'm a fop and it's going to be on fancy Warhammer World tables.

I'm thinking this is my core stuff, which is 1170 and needs another troops choice:

HQ
Warboss (TL Shoota, Klaw, Eavy Armour, Bosspole) 97
Painboy (Orderly, Bosspole) 60
Mek (Kustom Mega Blasta) 20
Mek (Kustom Mega Blasta) 20

Troops
18 Slugga Boyz + Nob (Bosspole, Klaw) 154
18 Slugga Boyz + Nob (Bosspole, Klaw) 154

Elite
10 Nobs (6 basic, 1 with PK+Waaagh banner, 1 with PK, 1 with Big Choppa) 255
+Battlewagon(2 Big Shootas, Deffrolla, RPJ) 135

Heavy
Battlewagon (2 Big Shootas, Deffrolla, RPJ) 135 (Still painting this so replacing may be an option)
Battlewagon (2 Big Shootas, Ram, Kannon, RPJ) 140

Not sure if the meks are actually that useful TBH, they would go with the boyz mobs in the two HS wagons, so can't do more repairing once they disembark with the mob and get stuck in.

Current concerns would be that I don't have enough troops (obviously), not enough anti-vehicle and no anti-air.

I can scrape a 20-man shoota mob together, if I paint a couple of guys. There's enough extra sluggas that I could bump a mob to 30. Got a couple of rokkit boys and a couple of big shootas.

I have a couple of dozen grots so those can fill out any other troop slots if there's points left.

I think I may have to speed-build some mek guns. I have 3 for some reason, I'm thinking a traktor or two but not sure if three is too much.

Other poo poo I could throw in:
19 Stormboyz + Nob (PK, Pole)
Looted Wagon (boomgunkannon, Big shoota)
Comedy Deff Dread option A (2 Rokkits)
Comedy Deff Dread option B (Zap gun, Big shoota)
9 Burnas
KFF Mek

That's annoyingly vague I know, I haven't played in forever and have no idea what I'm doing. I have the week off so painting some stuff is definitely an option, probably don't want that to be all I do for the next 2 days though!

I had the idea that I could run the KFF mek (and a grot tax unit) to shepherd some mek guns as an allied detachment, ditch the Nobz for shootas, and run all the BWs in the main detachment's Heavy slots, but I don't think I can make that fit at 1500.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

SRM posted:

Dragon Forge's bases are great. Army Painter is also an excellent product, just be sure to follow the instructions. My Dark Angels were painted with Army Painter and mounted on Dragon Forge bases:
*sick as gently caress pictures*

I used their Angel Green and Bone colors for sprays, and got the matching bottled paints to make sure they were consistent. I also used their Crystal Blue on my Ultramarines and Greenskin on my retro Cadians. I recommend them highly.

Awesome that bone colour looks absolutely boss as gently caress and a perfect colour for the Tyranid bodies. Would you recommend using the bone base or perhaps a darker colour to get the recesses, or should I just ink to get the depth?

Sold on the bases now that I can see them with models on them. Adds like £25 to the final bill but the model count in the army is so low I feel justified splashing out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Glad I could help! I'd go with that bone color, wash the models, and then if you're feeling it bring them back up to the base color while leaving it in the recesses.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Just to add my experience. I am a very average painter however am a huge fan of army painter sprays. I cannot get into my imgur account and am not internet clever enough to repost however my BA are halfway down this page of the last thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494017&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20

I know SRM has just said paint bone and then shade but just for comparison all bar the AOBR marines were done with primed black and then zenithal red. It was all a bit experimental at that point so the results are variable however it got some pretty good results. I now prime sideways and then do a 45 degree spray with red from all angles and then a final spritz from directly above. I can highly recommend the corresponding pot paint for the red as it matches perfectly and is a really nice consistency. I then use that on the areas that need either cleaning up or the bits of the model where the light would hit.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SoftDrink posted:

What are some funny things we can put in a Space Wolf drop pod. You could go with a Guard special weapons team with 3 Demo charges, a pod of Jokaero Weaponsmiths, and a pod of Bullgryns.

I really wish that you could ram wolves or space wolf bikers into those, or their new flyers. The idea of flinging a box of dogs at the enemy makes me giggle.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It has too many curved surfaces to really go well with the Blood Angles.

MasterSlowClap

SoftDrink posted:

What are some funny things we can put in a Space Wolf drop pod. You could go with a Guard special weapons team with 3 Demo charges, a pod of Jokaero Weaponsmiths, and a pod of Bullgryns.

It's pretty solid with Sisters of Battle and a heap of special weapons!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

AbusePuppy posted:

As others have said: almost no tournaments allow unbound. Many tournaments prohibit multiple CADs. Even most casual gamers are leery of unbound, and rightfully so- it's a bit of a clusterfuck. Not every unbound army is automatically a monstrosity, but like many other things in 40K it is a bit of a warning flag for most people.

Warhammer 40K: Not automatically a monstrosity, but a bit of a warning flag

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Karandras posted:

MasterSlowClap

It's pretty solid with Sisters of Battle and a heap of special weapons!

Grey Knight strike squads. Also, large units storm troopers. I've been thinking about giving my storm troopers some rhinos that the Grey Knights brought to the fight and just left unattended/unmanned :v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Cool stuff! That model is a bit odd--very detailed in some places, lacking any detail in others and with gaps that need a bit of green stuff to fix. I have one more to paint (black legion) and I have the new dreadnought kit to paint (no idea what legion yet).

Also, sup IW DV Helbrute buddy

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

JackMack posted:

Just to add my experience. I am a very average painter however am a huge fan of army painter sprays. I cannot get into my imgur account and am not internet clever enough to repost however my BA are halfway down this page of the last thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494017&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20

I know SRM has just said paint bone and then shade but just for comparison all bar the AOBR marines were done with primed black and then zenithal red. It was all a bit experimental at that point so the results are variable however it got some pretty good results. I now prime sideways and then do a 45 degree spray with red from all angles and then a final spritz from directly above. I can highly recommend the corresponding pot paint for the red as it matches perfectly and is a really nice consistency. I then use that on the areas that need either cleaning up or the bits of the model where the light would hit.

Thanks as well. Fairly sold on army painter then I'll grab some of it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What the gently caress is this flying baby attached to the space marine librarian even supposed to be?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Star Man posted:

What the gently caress is this flying baby attached to the space marine librarian even supposed to be?

A cherub!

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

:hfive:

Sometimes I toy with the idea of going back to Chaos and finishing my army off, and then I remember all the trims I'd have to paint. Never again.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sykic posted:

:hfive:

Sometimes I toy with the idea of going back to Chaos and finishing my army off, and then I remember all the trims I'd have to paint. Never again.
I'm going back to Chaos after 2 years or so away from it. It's been fun to go back and do something dirty and metallic instead of bright and clean.

I'm really happy with the number of Iron Warriors Hellbros on this page. I was thinking about doing caution stripes on the space I left black, but was overcome with a case of the fuckits.

Star Man posted:

Li'l Baby Stabbums :3:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Battle report!

So The Sex Cannon was looking for some practice for his NOVA army, and I haven't played in a million years so we got together yesterday to hash it out. He told me he was bringing "2000 pts of Steel Legion", and as I know that he plays IG and not much else about what he plays I assumed "Steel Legion" was a tank-heavy IG list, some kind of legion of steel. So, wanting it to be more of a fair fight, I did not take my Iyanden Eldar and instead went with a new Deathwing list that wasn't quite as good against vehicles.

Turns out Steel Legion is not a tank list! Turns out massed storm bolters are actually not terrible against massed IG infantry! Whoops!

My list:
Belial
DW Command w/ Banner of Fortitude, Assault Cannon
5x DW with Assault Cannon
5x DW with Assault Cannon
10x DW with 2x Heavy Flamer
5x DW with 3x Thunder Hammer/SS and rest lightning claws
3x Ravenwing w/ 2x Melta, Melta Attack Bike
3x Ravenwing w/ 2x Melta, Melta Attack Bike

His list (roughly):
Command Squad w/ all 3 officers
3x Primaris Psyker
2x Commissar
2x Infantry platoon with 20 man/2 flamer blob, 4x plasma gun squad and 3x Autocannon HWT
2x Veteran squad with 3x melta in Chimera
2x Vendetta
2x Leman Russ with Battle Cannon
1x Leman Russ with Demolisher

The basic plan for my army was if I got first turn, to scout up the Bikers and mass DW teleport assault in first turn off their homers; if I got second turn, to still mass teleport but leave all the bikes in reserve. We rolled up the Tactical Objective mission where you get x cards where x is the turn number (1 on turn 1, 2 on 2, etc) and he went first, so he deployed his stuff out, scooted up a bit and grabbed an objective point. His psykers had gotten a mix of useful/not useful powers but he didn't manage to get any of them off, so he passed to me.
On my first turn, only 1 of my 4 squads that could scatter, did (Belial went with the 10 man/2x HF squad so I could position the flamers perfectly as they did not scatter). This was the start of what was probably the grossest most lopsided game of 40k I have ever played. Belial and his squad killed a plasma squad and 16 out of one of the 20 man squads including their commissar. The other squads shook the Demolisher, killed his entire Command squad and put a wound on his Commander.

The subsequent turns demonstrated exactly what happens when an army that is a good counter to another army has nearly every single die roll go its way.
His Vendettas didn't come in until turn 3 and turn 4. He failed every psychic test he took the entire game. I failed one armor save, the whole game (the only things that died died from failed cover/invulnerable saves). I managed to rend his Demolisher exactly when I needed to so it never shot the whole game. 3 of my bike squads got their choice of where to outflank and the last one came on right where I wanted it to. The one Battle Cannon shot he hit my bikes with, they made all their jink saves AND it scattered back onto his Leman Russ, rolling a 6 to glance the front armor and destroy it. I even nearly downed a Vendetta just from good storm bolter shots into the back of it. The vast majority of his weapons were AP 4, and the AP 1/2 shots didn't roll well either. I continually drew objective cards that I was either already standing on or next to, and he drew at least 3 that he couldn't possibly complete.

The game ended with 2 3 man guard squads falling back, 1 Vendetta with 1 HP left and 1 undamaged Vendetta versus 1 attack bike, 3 Ravenwing bikes, and 4 Terminator squads with Belial having taken 1 wound on the board. The final score was 19-3, with me taking Linebreaker, Slay the Warlord, and First Blood, and scoring 16 objective cards.

Thankfully, The Sex Cannon is a great sport and we both had a good time, but man oh man. Sometimes the dice are just not there.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Where are the rules for the current 40k allowed Lord of Wars?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Boon posted:

Escalation

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SoftDrink posted:

Are they led by Chapter Master Pythagoras, by any chance?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

HiveCommander posted:

Are they led by Chapter Master Pythagoras, by any chance?

And his inner circle of Techmarine advisors! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Boon posted:

In the Escalation book and/or in the newer Codexes.

• Locked thread