Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I'm actually one of those who are new to sim racing and the closest I've played to a real sim is Race07 and then I got into iRacing. Played for a bit over a month now. Bought two cars and one track. Which I am happy with even though I can't race against others with the Nascar truck and indycar. I'll probably get Assetto Corsa and my first wheel and then come back to iRacing since there really doesn't seem to be anything like it when it comes to the SR system and all of that stuff. The real reason I started to play iRacing was the whole thrill of knowing that every car on track is driven by a real person and you loving up has consequences so everybody tries their best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

thorsilver posted:

Yeah, iRacing requires a big investment once you get out of rookies, and you really want to think carefully before you dump money into it and make sure you spend wisely (and only during sales). If you want serious racing online, then it's a good choice.

But, just speaking personally, I wouldn't recommend a newbie to sim-racing taking the plunge on iRacing until they've tried out a cheap wheel with Assetto Corsa or Game Stock Car Extreme or something. They'll give you an idea of what you're in for, are much cheaper, and are moddable and playable offline so you can try tons of different cars and tracks and learn better driving skills at your own pace and in your own style. If you do that and find yourself wanting serious competition, then give iRacing at try.

As someone who spent a year in iRacing, got out of rookies, did plenty of official races, etc., I found the experience had its own unique problems. You have the occasional blinking laggy cars, drunk drivers, intentional wreckers, or people getting abusive in chat. There's plenty of good iRacers out there, though.

It's also very much a serious community, which is fine but has its drawbacks. I personally felt some people took it way over the top -- on one occasion I screwed up and unintentionally caused a problem for other racers, for which I promptly apologised, and still one guy hounded me afterward in a way that I actually found quite unnerving. And this was in the Carburetor Cup, which doesn't even affect SR at all.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I started out loving iRacing, got overexcited and dumped loads of money in, only to find it wasn't really for me after all. I'd recommend easing yourself into sim-racing; Assetto Corsa is actually 50% off on Steam as I type this, so that's a good starting point right there.

I see what you mean, but iracing was my first sim (first time with a wheel also) and I think it was pretty great for learning. If you are uncertain if sim racing is for you, might be best to try out a DFGT or something with a cheaper game for a while. But if you are a huge racing fan (like me) and love the idea of competitive online racing with a system that penalizes crashing/contact (the bane of most online racing games) then I would suggest just getting the 3 month iracing trial. I spent a couple days learning the mazda, and was racing a day or two after getting my wheel in the mail.

Compared to other sim options, I thought iracing was pretty decent for learning. You are guided towards one track (the one in rotation that week) and car, depending on oval vs road. You just need to do test sessions and practice for a while first. Plus, it is free right now and AC/others are not.

I got my iracing 3 month trial and my G27 just ten days ago, practiced for a while, and I've been racing B and C class ovals and D class road this past week. It's definitely possible to learn quickly and limit how much you spend if you are smart about it.

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 22, 2014

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Rookie super stock on USA intl raceway is the dumbest combination of everything to ever exist.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

invision posted:

Rookie super stock on USA intl raceway is the dumbest combination of everything to ever exist.

I don't even try to do it anymore. I have never seen a rookie SS race at USA that wasn't a total disaster.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cQLJKwcsvg
It needs a wipe, but I need a proper video editor.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Won my first race on saturday, fixed indy oval at motegi. I struggled with the track until around Friday - hitting the wall out of turn 4, aerowashing into the wall on 2, and just being inconsistent. Finally realized I needed to slow down and just finish races before worrying about anything else. Since then I've finished in the top 5 5/6 times along with my first ever win. Hopefully auto club won't be this all over again..

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

thehacker0 posted:

Won my first race on saturday, fixed indy oval at motegi. I struggled with the track until around Friday - hitting the wall out of turn 4, aerowashing into the wall on 2, and just being inconsistent. Finally realized I needed to slow down and just finish races before worrying about anything else. Since then I've finished in the top 5 5/6 times along with my first ever win. Hopefully auto club won't be this all over again..

Congrats! :bravo:

I haven't ran any official races in the DW12 yet because I wanna protect my precious SR. I finally joined the ISOWC IndyCar Series and I plan on running the 500 mile race at Fontana on Sat 9/6. The struggle with Fontana is the same problem that the real life IndyCar drivers experience excluding the dust/debris building up in the radiators. Be extra careful when crossing lanes while turning, especially as your tires degrade. The seams in the concrete between each of the 5 lanes are very pronounced and it doesn't take a whole lot to lose it. I'm gonna need an excellent setup and spotter for this race :wink:

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

KingShibby posted:

Congrats! :bravo:

I haven't ran any official races in the DW12 yet because I wanna protect my precious SR. I finally joined the ISOWC IndyCar Series and I plan on running the 500 mile race at Fontana on Sat 9/6. The struggle with Fontana is the same problem that the real life IndyCar drivers experience excluding the dust/debris building up in the radiators. Be extra careful when crossing lanes while turning, especially as your tires degrade. The seams in the concrete between each of the 5 lanes are very pronounced and it doesn't take a whole lot to lose it. I'm gonna need an excellent setup and spotter for this race :wink:

I was thinking about joining the ISOWC myself, but I thought maybe I should wait until I am a bit better and have some more road experience. Have you raced in any of their series before?

The fixed indy races do have a lot of wrecks, but after I got a decent qualifying time and grew consistent enough in my own driving to not make unforced errors, I went from 3.00 C class straight up to A 3.65 in a couple days. And redeemed my triple digit irating up to a slightly less pathetic level.

I'm guessing the top split isn't nearly as bad as the lower, but avoiding wrecks from the front is pretty easy. And the car is super fun, you should give it a shot

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

thehacker0 posted:

I was thinking about joining the ISOWC myself, but I thought maybe I should wait until I am a bit better and have some more road experience. Have you raced in any of their series before?

The fixed indy races do have a lot of wrecks, but after I got a decent qualifying time and grew consistent enough in my own driving to not make unforced errors, I went from 3.00 C class straight up to A 3.65 in a couple days. And redeemed my triple digit irating up to a slightly less pathetic level.

I'm guessing the top split isn't nearly as bad as the lower, but avoiding wrecks from the front is pretty easy. And the car is super fun, you should give it a shot

I've never raced ISOWC myself, but I prefer full length races over the normal official series since you can't really do any real strategy in official races. Hopefully they'll add the full-length weekly combined DW12 series next year.

Fixed Indy races will always have lots of wrecks, regardless of the track but especially when the fixed setup is garbage they usually are. I'm not good at all on road courses, but my biggest problem is that I've only learned about half of the road course tracks, and only a handful have I actually driven in the DW12. What I've been doing is using the weekly official series to learn tracks, practice, and build setups, but I don't usually run actual races.

90% of all wrecks in oval races can be avoided by running up front, the other 10% is up to your skill

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
http://youtu.be/a6iO3TQjXp4?t=39s

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

:lol: This needs to be a feature in the next build.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

This week's Indy track, auto club, is much easier at least superficially. In the lower split nobody accounts for aero wash, so everytime there's two guys side by side into a corner without clean air it's almost a guaranteed yellow flag.

I've been doing quite well hugging the inside line, finished top 3 whenever I've avoided getting taken out. Just need to lift a bit when someone is ahead of you in the corner

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

In the last two seasons, missing the window to make your turn into T1 would result in you needing to lift off the throttle or risk hitting the wall coming out of T2. This DW12 setup has eliminated that, and like you said you just hug the bottom line for the entire lap.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I swear I only play this game hoping for stupid things to happen that I can use to make videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrxTbAICueA

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
If only you could turn every car into a lowrider and do that in an official race. I would pay twice for iracing then.

Also, I'm moving out on Monday and by the looks of it, I still like iRacing/racing sims so I guess I'll have to buy a wheel. I'm still proud that I managed to not buy one within two weeks of getting iRacing. :v:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

thehacker0 posted:

This week's Indy track, auto club, is much easier at least superficially. In the lower split nobody accounts for aero wash, so everytime there's two guys side by side into a corner without clean air it's almost a guaranteed yellow flag.

I've been doing quite well hugging the inside line, finished top 3 whenever I've avoided getting taken out. Just need to lift a bit when someone is ahead of you in the corner

Bentai posted:

In the last two seasons, missing the window to make your turn into T1 would result in you needing to lift off the throttle or risk hitting the wall coming out of T2. This DW12 setup has eliminated that, and like you said you just hug the bottom line for the entire lap.

I'm assuming you guys are talking about the fixed setup? I'd be curious what the tire wear percentages are at the end of a fixed race. Haven't hooked my wheel back up to my desk so far this week (I will tonight) but I'm sure open setups will be a lot faster than the fixed setups so that way of driving may not hold :iiam:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone know why iRacing is down? Is it broken or are they doing a maintenance update?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Cojawfee posted:

Anyone know why iRacing is down? Is it broken or are they doing a maintenance update?

Update.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hopefully they slipped in Rift support with it.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Site is back up, highlights of the release notes:

quote:

Tires

- Fixed a mathematical instability bug where the tires could begin to jitter and shake and feel slippery, particularly after driving around at low speeds and/or on a cold track for a while.

Not sure how much of an impact the bug had, but bug fixes are good.

quote:

Dallara DW12/IR05

- Fixed a bug where telemetry was reporting the fuel density incorrectly.

Glad to see this fixed so I can rely on iSpeed's fuel info.

quote:

Star Mazda

- Improved the calibration of the dashboard's speed indicator.

About drat time they fixed this. It's been way out-of-sync for a long time...

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

Cojawfee posted:

Hopefully they slipped in Rift support with it.

Using DK1 now and loving it, can't wait for DK2 support though.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Discuss.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

dsriggs posted:

Discuss.

it's wasted on short ovals

here comes the 6 hours at spa though wooo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dsriggs posted:

Discuss.

I've been busy, what cars are they using? I might have to give it a go.

edit: Spun leading the field to the green on a restart. Kill me now :suicide:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 30, 2014

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Decent race at Sebring ruined by not being able to avoid a spun car. I'm just not feeling it lately.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Sunday races are always full of terrible weekend warriors smashing themselves into walls and other cars, right?

e: also, how often do they do the Bonus Credits offer currently running? It's tempting but I'm not sure whether I'll be buying anything for a while so if it happens regularly I may just wait for the next time around.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 31, 2014

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Thanks for convincing me to blow a bunch of cash on video games :v: I took advantage of the sale to grab the full Skippy series, and just weasled my way out of rookie road. Time to learn a new car!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Helicon One posted:

e: also, how often do they do the Bonus Credits offer currently running? It's tempting but I'm not sure whether I'll be buying anything for a while so if it happens regularly I may just wait for the next time around.
At least 2-3 times a year.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
It's oval week for the Star Mazda! This season it's Killwaukee!!!

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

The L79 at Donington is pure sex distilled into vehicular form.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

This really is the only reason I play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU0-s-FRbX0

Bentai gets the credit for that one. He was sitting off track in the carousel, watching me run, for a few laps before. Out of nowhere, he nails this.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

That happened in a Star Mazda race last season, only the guy jumping the wall took out the leader :laugh:

Excellent job on the music choice, btw.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Has anyone raced the spec racer recently? I jumped in to try it out at Suzuka, and it seems that iRacing decided that the changes early this season that made it actually catchable and fun to drive were all horrible mistakes and should be reverted. It's totally numb and impossible to catch again, at least for me.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ManicJason posted:

This really is the only reason I play the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU0-s-FRbX0
Bentai gets the credit for that one. He was sitting off track in the carousel, watching me run, for a few laps before. Out of nowhere, he nails this.

Ahh Sonoma, think outside the oval. Gotta love ramps in iRacing, they make for amazing hilarity.

ManicJason posted:

Has anyone raced the spec racer recently? I jumped in to try it out at Suzuka, and it seems that iRacing decided that the changes early this season that made it actually catchable and fun to drive were all horrible mistakes and should be reverted. It's totally numb and impossible to catch again, at least for me.

Tried the SRF once or twice before and I hate it, so no. Are you using the baseline setup since I see they changed that setup with the last patch on 8/27? along with the Corvette and the McLaren

So anyone else tried racing the DW12 at Okayama this week? It kinda reminds me of Montreal in that just about every corner requires downshifting into 1st gear and it's pretty flat. Plus it's a free track so participation is gonna be higher this week.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
I've tried the SRF multiple times in various builds and it feels horrible to me every time...wrecking loose off power at every track I've tried it on ever. I find it easier to get a Gen 6 around Sonoma than that thing at Watkins Glen.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

ManicJason posted:

I took it out for a practice session about a month ago when I first joined at Laguna Seca which lasted about a lap and a half before I decided that nope, this chassis is clearly a honey pot designed to brutally slaughter my Safety Rating and have never touched it since.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Tried the SRF once or twice before and I hate it, so no. Are you using the baseline setup since I see they changed that setup with the last patch on 8/27? along with the Corvette and the McLaren
I was using the setup I used in week one at Laguna with a bit lower ride heights. I wonder if Laguna Seca's turns are banked enough that the car accidentally felt good.

I may try another setup from scratch or grab one from the forums and give it another shot. I was wondering if anyone had raced it around week one and noticed a huge change since the mid season update.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

1st win in the 79 tonight, beat a pro driver by 20 seconds :smug:

Of course the first track that I really feel fast and comfortable on is the week I'm going on vacation though.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Lord Crapulus posted:

The L79 at Donington is pure sex distilled into vehicular form.
You were not kidding. A few of us in IRC bought the 79 and ran some practice there tonight. We were running mid/low 21s with an hour of practice, so we might actually be competitive enough to field a CTC team next season.

The car is even more fun than I thought it would be, and Donington is quickly becoming my favorite course.

edit: Obligatory CTC trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Wdc-fMPxk

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

Yep. Car owns. Track owns. Everything owns.

In other news, I did a two of four split truck race last night that I had no business being in. Didn't die! So that's a win. The truck at Charlotte is pretty fun too. I just have no idea how to go side by side in the corners without killing myself.

• Locked thread