Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I got a Pilot VP 2nd hand. Did they ever make a two-tone pen, or did I get a frankenpen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Could you post a picture of it so we can admire its color scheme?

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Can anybody identify what pen this is? I know it's a tiny picture, so it might be really difficult.

And for some reason, here's a much larger picture of the same book, but with a different pen. Can anybody identify that one, too?

EDIT: I just found out that the second pen looks like some Sheaffer Imperial something from the 60s-70s.

Yoshi Jjang fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 24, 2014

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Can anybody identify what pen this is? I know it's a tiny picture, so it might be really difficult.

And for some reason, here's a much larger picture of the same book, but with a different pen. Can anybody identify that one, too?

EDIT: I just found out that the second pen looks like some Sheaffer Imperial something from the 60s-70s.

1st one looks like a Pelikan of some sort, based on the clip.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had a few questions while I run some tests on my pens.

So, I currently have4 pens:
Lamy CP1 - 1.1 italic nib
Lamy Safari - 1.5 italic nib
Platinum Preppy (the one that comes with Noodler's HoD) which has a... I think it's an EF nib?
And a rather old el cheapo Rotring with a medium.

I have the preppy loaded with HoD and it writes really well, the ink flows smoothly and evenly.
The Rotring has Diamine Grape in it, writes as well as the preppy (feels a bit wetter), but has a habit of drying rather fast so I have to dip it in warm water for a second if I leave it to sit for a while without writing (which is normal, I think).

Now, up until 5 minutes ago I had the CP1 loaded with Ancient Copper, and while it writes nice enough, it doesn't feel as... smooth or 'flowy' as the other two rather cheaper pens. It's not scratchy or dry, but it just doesn't feel as nice. It skips the tiniest bit from time to time when starting a word.

So, my question is: what could be causing this? I'm loading the CP1 with Diamine Grape first thing in the morning and writing a bit to see how it goes, but could be there so much of a difference just because of the ink? Do italic nibs write different (other than the width) than regular nibs? Could something be weird with my feed?
Anyone have a CP1 or have tried Ancient Copper and noticed something like this?

Haven't really used the Safari a lot, the 1.5 italic was a bit wide for everyday use so I'm waiting to get a EF replacement nib for it in a bit.

Thanks, and sorry if the questions are a bit all over the place, it's kinda hard to put into words.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Now, up until 5 minutes ago I had the CP1 loaded with Ancient Copper, and while it writes nice enough, it doesn't feel as... smooth or 'flowy' as the other two rather cheaper pens. It's not scratchy or dry, but it just doesn't feel as nice. It skips the tiniest bit from time to time when starting a word.

Anyone have a CP1 or have tried Ancient Copper and noticed something like this?

I had some problems with an Ancient Copper sample leaving gummy 'residue' on my Pilot Metro nib, and I have noticed my Diamine Red (full bottle) causes problems when loaded in my Lamy Safari -- hard starts, etc. This might be more of a problem with how often I use my pens than the inks themselves, but there's my anecdote.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Second one is Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Tochiazuma posted:

I had some problems with an Ancient Copper sample leaving gummy 'residue' on my Pilot Metro nib, and I have noticed my Diamine Red (full bottle) causes problems when loaded in my Lamy Safari -- hard starts, etc. This might be more of a problem with how often I use my pens than the inks themselves, but there's my anecdote.

I liked the color of Diamine Syrah but decided not to get it because my sample was so skippy in my Metro.

So there's two people who also had problems with Diamine being on the gummy side, at least the red-based ones.

Maybe try transferring some of the Ancient Copper to a sample vial and adding a few drops of distilled water? Might flow more reliably.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Well, that is good to know, as I thought I was the only one that had problems with Diamine Ox Blood. That having been said, does anyone have recommendations for a good red (I'm thinking blood red or paper grading red) that is not Diamine or Noodlers?

Genford

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pienipple posted:

I liked the color of Diamine Syrah but decided not to get it because my sample was so skippy in my Metro.

So there's two people who also had problems with Diamine being on the gummy side, at least the red-based ones.

Maybe try transferring some of the Ancient Copper to a sample vial and adding a few drops of distilled water? Might flow more reliably.

I switched the ink in my CP1 (with the 1.1 italic nib) for Diamine Grape, and it works like a charm now. I thought it may have to do with the nib itself, so I gave Ancient Copper a try in my Safari which has a 1.5, and it does flow a bit better, but not as well as Grape does.
I don't mean that it's unusable by any stretch, but if I use it at my regular writing speed I end up with a bit of skipping in some strokes.

I have Syrah as well, but I only used that one on a Pilot Art Pen I have, where I had a few issues with dry starts (I think I mentioned it before in the thread and someone piped in saying they had the same issues), so you may be onto something there.

A shame, because I love Ancient Copper and I'd love to use it as a daily writer, but it's like I have to sit down and take a bit of extra time for it to write as I like, which isn't bad in itself since I write prettier that way, but it doesn't seem to be lending itself well to scratching messages on the go or taking notes in class.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

laertes22 posted:

Well, that is good to know, as I thought I was the only one that had problems with Diamine Ox Blood. That having been said, does anyone have recommendations for a good red (I'm thinking blood red or paper grading red) that is not Diamine or Noodlers?

Genford

J. Herbin Rouge Caroubier is a bright primary red, but it's probably less saturated than you're looking for.

My favorite red is De Atramentis Cola, which is a red-brown but it flows nicely even in a pen I don't use very much. They make quite a few shades of red, maybe one of these would fit your needs.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Was just gifted a MonteVerde Paquito today :woop:

How very cool. This thing writes pretty great and it's compact enough to fit in anything. Not so compact to be uncomfortably small though.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

laertes22 posted:

Odd, I've been using Ox Blood in my everyday pen for months and it's behaved impeccably for me.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

pienipple posted:

PR is very pigment dense and likes to dry up in the nib. Flushing it again with soapy water should get it writing properly but it'll occasionally be hard to start.

Yeah, I am thinking this might be the problem. I washed it through with soapy water several times, and all that day the pen was working great. But now three days later with one full day of not using it, the pen is already starting to act up again.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Lord Girlyman posted:

Could you post a picture of it so we can admire its color scheme?

http://flic.kr/p/oCnygg
I'm sorry the best I can do right now is a stupid flickr link. The yellow is really more of a dark mustard-y gold, but it kinda works for me. The nib is gold, and in F size. Writes nicely, and I love the click-pen aspect more than I thought I would.

laertes22 posted:

does anyone have recommendations for a good red (I'm thinking blood red or paper grading red) that is not Diamine or Noodlers?

I like the Waterman red, especially if you want well-behaved.

milpreve fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 26, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

milpreve posted:

I'm sorry the best I can do right now is a stupid flickr link. The yellow is really more of a dark mustard-y gold, but it kinda works for me. The nib is gold, and in F size. Writes nicely, and I love the click-pen aspect more than I thought I would.

Brony spotted.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

laertes22 posted:

Genford

Herbin's Rouge Hematite is perfectly paper-grade red, but if you let it sit for a few days, it'll almost certainly gum up the nib a bit. I don't think I've put it in a pen that didn't have a vent hole in the cap though (and the pen also has a tiny F nib, to boot), so that's almost certainly a factor.

Shame you're excluding Noodler's, though. Red-Black is a pretty excellent ink.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

milpreve posted:

I don't know a hell of a lot about VPs, but that does look like two pens put together.

I love it though and I'd be tempted to try to match the yellow to some paint and do bumble bee stripes on the black part. :sun:

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

I don't know a hell of a lot about VPs, but that does look like two pens put together.

I love it though and I'd be tempted to try to match the yellow to some paint and do bumble bee stripes on the black part. :sun:

Stripes would be slick. It's a pretty cool pen, overall, I think. I don't mind if it is a mix of two other pens, but I'd like to know for sure. Somewhere, maybe, is this pen's inverse twin.

vigorous sodomy posted:

Brony spotted.

Yep.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

milpreve posted:

The only two tone VP I've ever seen is a black and yellow one on eBay. Was that where you picked it up?

Ive got my suspicions that its a frankenpen, but if you didn't get it from an eBay seller maybe there's two people making bee VPs :v:.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Vitamins posted:

The only two tone VP I've ever seen is a black and yellow one on eBay. Was that where you picked it up?

Ive got my suspicions that its a frankenpen, but if you didn't get it from an eBay seller maybe there's two people making bee VPs :v:.

FPN. It writes beautifully, which is why I bought it. It's super functional at my job, and I won't be as mad if something happens to it than if it was a limited edition or something.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zenostein posted:

Herbin's Rouge Hematite is perfectly paper-grade red, but if you let it sit for a few days, it'll almost certainly gum up the nib a bit. I don't think I've put it in a pen that didn't have a vent hole in the cap though (and the pen also has a tiny F nib, to boot), so that's almost certainly a factor.

Shame you're excluding Noodler's, though. Red-Black is a pretty excellent ink.

:stare: That Red-Black is certainly a color. I was looking for a good red or burgundy for grading papers, and the color of dried blood will suit that perfectly. Guess I'll extend my pen budget a little and grab a bottle of the Red-Black. It's between that and the Diamine Oxblood, but I was looking for something a little more waterproof.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I'm like 95% sure this is/was Red-Black:

It's certainly waterproof, that's for certain.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
I got a Vanishing Point on a whim since isellpens had it for $110. My pens up to this point have been really cheap. The one I have is red with gold accents, which is classier than expected. It's just unfortunate that I can't see how much ink I have left with the converter is in it.

I'm also not really noticing a difference in smoothness from my other pens (Metropolitan, Jinhao). I mean, it's smooth, but so are those. I'm sure hardcore pen nerds could tell the difference but I really can't.

I dunno, I guess high end pens aren't for me. The click mechanism is cool, though.

By the way, I think Todd still has some for $110 if you're interested.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Per Fountain Pen Geeks, it seems as if, starting in December, the Pilot Custom Heritage 912 will be available for purchase from authorized dealers in the States.

(Of course, I got mine through Engeika, before it was cool :agesilaus: )

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

laertes22 posted:

(Of course, I got mine through Engeika, before it was cool :agesilaus: )

Most subjective sentence I've read today.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

You probably don't want to get it in the States anyway, because the price will be stupid high for no good reason and the pen can be trivially imported through any number of reputable grey market dealers.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Kessel posted:

You probably don't want to get it in the States anyway, because the price will be stupid high for no good reason and the pen can be trivially imported through any number of reputable grey market dealers.

Yeah, I believe FPG said it is marked up about $50-60 more than the going rate on ebay/import.

ktonastya
Aug 23, 2006

I'm afraid I just "blue" myself

So this is what I woke up to this morning.

No big deal right, I'll just go buy a new nib unit since I wanted to try out a stub italic anyway. However, for some reason they only seem to come in the smoke color. Is there a reason for that? It's frustrating as I'd like to have my pen not appear all mismatchy. Am I missing that they make nib units in the other colors for Vac700 or can I buy the new unit and switch the outer layer(don't know what to call it) with that on my current nib unit so it would be a uniform color?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ktonastya posted:

So this is what I woke up to this morning.

No big deal right, I'll just go buy a new nib unit since I wanted to try out a stub italic anyway. However, for some reason they only seem to come in the smoke color. Is there a reason for that? It's frustrating as I'd like to have my pen not appear all mismatchy. Am I missing that they make nib units in the other colors for Vac700 or can I buy the new unit and switch the outer layer(don't know what to call it) with that on my current nib unit so it would be a uniform color?

...the grip doesn't come off afaik. Not sure why they'd list the stubs as smoke or any color for that matter. Okay, checking on Goulet, yeah, I guess the grip does screw off...I don't think mine does, but...are there different Vac 700s or am I just not twisting hard enough?

At any rate, yeah, you should be able to just slide the nib and feed out of the new grip and into the old one.

ktonastya
Aug 23, 2006

Brightman posted:

...the grip doesn't come off afaik. Not sure why they'd list the stubs as smoke or any color for that matter. Okay, checking on Goulet, yeah, I guess the grip does screw off...I don't think mine does, but...are there different Vac 700s or am I just not twisting hard enough?

At any rate, yeah, you should be able to just slide the nib and feed out of the new grip and into the old one.

Oh awesome, I'll have to order a replacement then and then try to switch the innards about. Once I get off my rear end to drain the ink from mine, I'll go see how much effort it takes to remove the grip and let you know.

Edit: It took barely anything for me to unscrew the grip from my Vac700, so I'm not sure why yours is being difficult, Brightman.

ktonastya fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 28, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought a bare nib, no grip, for my Vac700 and it was easy to switch out. I did it with ink still in the pen because I'm a rebel. Goulet has a video on how to do it without damaging the nib.

ktonastya
Aug 23, 2006

I'm watching the Goulet video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nt34OQrHXk) right now, and I'm not sure doing the straight nib swap would work for me since the little metal ring won't stay on the pen anymore at all. It just completely falls out from the pen even though there appears to be nothing wrong with the grip like a crack or anything. I may just have to accept a smoke grip on my vac from what it looks like unless I'm missing something.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Send TWSBI support an email and tell them what happened. They'll probably send you a new one free.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Will I be sorry if I get this one to try out the concept? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/2002084762.html

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Kane posted:

Will I be sorry if I get this one to try out the concept? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/2002084762.html

no because hero pens are cheap as all hell

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

If anyone else is interested, the 2015 Hobonichi store goes live August 31 at 7PM PDT.

They've got a preview up now.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

iostream.h posted:

If anyone else is interested, the 2015 Hobonichi store goes live August 31 at 7PM PDT.

They've got a preview up now.

I didn't know about these, tell me more!

Do they sell out crazy fast or something?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

I didn't know about these, tell me more!

Do they sell out crazy fast or something?

They're wildly popular daily planners made in Japan using Tomoegawa paper. They pretty much sell out the moment they release.

If you want one here in Japan, you go to your local bookstore and put your name down in advance, or you don't get poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Kessel posted:

They're wildly popular daily planners made in Japan using Tomoegawa paper. They pretty much sell out the moment they release.

If you want one here in Japan, you go to your local bookstore and put your name down in advance, or you don't get poo poo.

So I guess I need to be at the keyboard, ready to go if I want to try one of them?