Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

NOTinuyasha posted:

a very small amount of rust under the front window gasket.

IMHO 50k cars shouldn't have any rust whatsoever. Sounds like a 30k car now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
There is no way I found finance a car like that. What happens when it shits the bed in some terrible way and you need to get rid of it--you're going to be way underwater on the loan.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'll walk away if I get even the slightest hint that I'm about to get hosed. Don't worry about it.

No you're not. Everyone's already told you it's a huge red flag and way overpriced and to not touch it with a ten foot pole and you're still considering it, so it's obvious you won't listen to anyone's advice and are more than willing to make very poor decisions.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mod sassinator posted:

There is no way I found finance a car like that. What happens when it shits the bed in some terrible way and you need to get rid of it--you're going to be way underwater on the loan.

Yeah this isn't BFC but I'd steer clear if you can't put down $5K real quick for repairs and maintenance if needed. Financing could be a good idea since rates are so low, I financed mine at 1.49% for 72 months because that's basically free money. Assuming you don't pay an excessive interest rate it comes down to getting a good purchase price and having enough to catch up on maintenance. The fact that you have a co-signer may indicate that this isn't the case.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It's your money, piss it away how ever you like. But at this point you've made up your mind. You may get extremely lucky, and this thing may never give you an issue from the word go. But be warned, I can't wait to see the bill!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm looking forwards to the pictures of your new ride!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It's your money, piss it away how ever you like. But at this point you've made up your mind. You may get extremely lucky, and this thing may never give you an issue from the word go. But be warned, I can't wait to see the bill!

Sounds like someone that might appreciate a nice biturbo.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
Seriously, I love G-Wagons but this is firmly in the insane territory. I wouldn't touch it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

HotCanadianChick posted:

No you're not. Everyone's already told you it's a huge red flag and way overpriced and to not touch it with a ten foot pole and you're still considering it, so it's obvious you won't listen to anyone's advice and are more than willing to make very poor decisions.

Yall were throwing up red flags the moment I said G55 :v:. The dealer got back to me today and shot down any notion that I'd get an extended warranty just because, you know, the supercharger shut down during the test drive. Only save at this point would be if the optional extended warranty is really cheap. I keep saying I'm getting a warranty, haven't said anything about the price and nobody here knows anything about my personal finances but, you know, goons.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

NOTinuyasha posted:

Yall were throwing up red flags the moment I said G55 :v:. The dealer got back to me today and shot down any notion that I'd get an extended warranty just because, you know, the supercharger shut down during the test drive. Only save at this point would be if the optional extended warranty is really cheap. I keep saying I'm getting a warranty, haven't said anything about the price and nobody here knows anything about my personal finances but, you know, goons.

Extended warranties are a huge scam and find ways to cover almost nothing, have low limits on coverage, and insist that work be done at the cheapest, shittiest shop possible. You do not want to take a G55 to Billy Bob's Fix-It-Gud Car Shop (but your extended warranty sure as hell will). The only warranties worth a drat are certified used cars sold by dealers because they only sell decent cars they know will have few warranty issues. This dealership obviously knows this car will have problems and has no intention of offering anything like that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NOTinuyasha posted:

I keep saying I'm getting a warranty, haven't said anything about the price and nobody here knows anything about my personal finances but, you know, goons.

That's a very goony comment.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm not exactly sure what you're consulting the thread for. You asked everyone's opinion and they said it was a terrible idea. It sounds like you've made up your mind to get the car and just want to talk about it because you're excited, which is great, we're happy for you - but I wouldn't pose that in the form of a question.

If you're trying to think aloud and work through some doubts, that's fine too, but I wouldn't get defensive about it.

Most car guys I know who buy SUVs for a change of pace but don't necessarily need the storage or off-road ability get bored with them very quickly. If I was choosing between this and the E63 I'd get the E63. If you really want to spend money on a sketchy G-Wagen I'd get an older one with more character - military instead of Kardashian.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Every one here is warning you because these are notoriously expensive vehicles to look after. I don't know your financial background, nor do I care. But people that are financially well off to own these trucks new ditch them after the warranty period is up. Ever wonder why?

You don't become rich by writing checks.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

blk posted:

If you're trying to think aloud and work through some doubts, that's fine too, but I wouldn't get defensive about it.

I'm thinking aloud and taking in advice when it's useful, I just didn't expect this to turn into automotive sanity with three-four of the same posters assuming I'm too poor to maintain it and lecturing me on stuff they just assumed I didn't have covered, that's why I'm getting defensive. The E63 is way more awesome on paper but when it came down to test drives and taking a hard look at each in person the G55 won out. Yes it's a stupid overpriced monster truck I have no business owning and will probably blow up and boy will I be sorry! I hereby invoke YOLO and will see myself out.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I have always kind of wanted a G55, but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one. I always like to see the G-wagens though, they're baller as gently caress.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But people that are financially well off to own these trucks new ditch them after the warranty period is up. Ever wonder why?

This, and a there was a huge tax loophole that has gotten smaller in recent years - 'business owners' could claim the full depreciation value as a business expense.

http://www.section179.org/section_179_vehicle_deductions.html

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

I dragged my dad (now the tentative cosigner of my second Mercedes, my parents terrible enablers) into it,

You seriously need to take a step back and think objectively.

I dont know your financial situation but it you need your dad to co sign for you this is a really bad idea.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

NOTinuyasha posted:

I dragged my dad (now the tentative cosigner of my second Mercedes, my parents terrible enablers)

Jesus Christ. If you need someone to cosign for a car, you flat out can't afford it, there is no other way to put it.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Thread title is correct and if you don't buy this truck then someone with balls will. Because

Das Volk posted:

They're baller as gently caress.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I don't know, I think you need to have a predilection for wearing track suits and saying "blyat" a whole bunch to fit in with the G-Wagen crowd.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Timmy Cruise posted:

your dad to co sign for you

ahahahahahahaaa

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Make sure you get some big rims for it too. 24" or bigger, and may I also recommend wearing adidas trackpants, and an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore to match your new G55?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

MrChips posted:

Jesus Christ. If you need someone to cosign for a car, you flat out can't afford it, there is no other way to put it.

This situation is the very definition of the "goon in a well" scenario. He's already made up his mind and is looking for validation, which he isn't getting. Now he is getting defensive about the bad decision he's already made.

Hint: If you need a cosigner, you probably shouldn't finance a $50k luxury SUV that cost over $100k new and has the corresponding maintenance costs.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Timmy Cruise posted:

You seriously need to take a step back and think objectively.

I dont know your financial situation but it you need your dad to co sign for you this is a really bad idea.

I'll make one last post cause this is kind of insulting.

I qualified on the spot for 20% down at 6% and could've driven it off the lot right there, on my own credit. My dad agreed to cosign, same as the first Benz I bought, because it cut the interest rate in half with no downside.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Das Volk posted:

ahahahahahahaaa

Get your dad to co sign for that one instead

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

NOTinuyasha posted:

I qualified on the spot for 20% down at 6% and could've driven it off the lot right there, on my own credit. My dad agreed to cosign, same as the first Benz I bought, because it cut the interest rate in half with no downside.

I didnt know car dealerships accepted anime wall scrolls as down payments

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

NOTinuyasha posted:

If your credit is so bad you can't get 1.9% with 0 down with no cosigner, you absolutely cannot afford that G55, period.

E: seriously, 6% with 20% down is what they offer at the really lovely buy-here, pay-here lots that people who can't get real financing shop at.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Guys wait I usually qualify for under 2% financing should I have already bought a used g55 ages ago? :ohdear:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

If you find that insulting I am sorry.

You, however, would be sorry about going $40k in debt on a depreciating vehicle that has readily apparent problems when the next $XXk repair bill comes in.

I hope your dad sees this thread and doesn't co sign.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

NOTinuyasha posted:

You might want to give the details in the financials subforum and ask their advice.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

NOTinuyasha posted:

You post in the BMW thread sometimes, so as everyone says in there, get an extremely thorough pre-purchase inspection from a shop that deals in german cars exclusively/mostly. If it checks out and you have significant savings to pay for when the supercharger explodes 10 miles off of the lot then gently caress the haters and enjoy that bitchin g wagon.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

NOTinuyasha posted:

Yall were throwing up red flags the moment I said G55...

You do understand this is thread full of people so crazy we think hydraulically controlled seats running at 2700psi are perfectly reasonable, right?
This thread had discussed the merits of daily-driving a Unimog without irony.
A group so out of touch with reality we think a RennTech 500e at $50,000 is a good buy even though it might be harder to keep on the road than a beat up Vector?

THIS is the group telling you the Kardashian Turd-nugget of an SUV you are looking at is a bad idea.

Cogitate on that for a second.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 25, 2014

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the (only) MB dealer in town does this thing where they put their initials on the back in the same script as the model numbers. Doesn't seem to bother people much because lots of them are on the road with those letters still on.

G-wagens are pretty dumb but I'll concede the 6x6 with portal axles is kind of neat looking.

You can lock all the differentials in 6 Hi at 100mph, but there's no cruise control or backup camera.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Throatwarbler posted:

You can lock all the differentials in 6 Hi at 100mph, but there's no cruise control or backup camera.

You don't need a backup camera when you can just run over anything behind you, including walls.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Does anyone ever add a 2 after the dealer's initials?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If they have to put their initials on there, couldn't they at least stick them on straight?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Tai-Pan posted:

You do understand this is thread full of people so crazy we think hydraulically controlled seats running at 2700psi are perfectly reasonable, right?

Wouldn't that get neck-snappingly ugly if something were to go wrong?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Wouldn't that get neck-snappingly ugly if something were to go wrong?

Yes.

Medieval Thinker
Nov 6, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

Extended warranties are a huge scam and find ways to cover almost nothing, have low limits on coverage, and insist that work be done at the cheapest, shittiest shop possible.

This. :bandwagon: I have had good luck with my extended warranty, but that is only because the warranty came from a dealership and the warranty rep who sold it to me is good buddies with the guy who runs the shop I take my car to get serviced, so they know exactly how to phrase the repair to ensure it falls within coverage. The vast majority of these warranties are like the worst fly-by-night HMO's, although its only your wallet dying in this scenario rather than you.

Medieval Thinker fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
I can't wait to see him prove us wrong and post pictures or his new ride in the "post your ride" thread. We should all keep an eye out for someone asking for G55 DIY advice on the benz forums... or not because its an echo chamber of "Help, help, I can't afford the maintenance on my G Wagon! How do I fix ___________ for less than $XXk?".

In other MB related chat, I missed the conversation on DD unimogs. What're some fuel mileage numbers on a 414 diesel or a U404 with a OM617? A 'mog is on the top of my "Buy before moving into the mountains" list, right above the mountain property, and I'm curious as to range.