Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Someone on my Facebook went on about how privileged it is to waste water on a meme when there are people out there without any access to clean water. God forbid anyone ever forget that people around the world have incredibly lovely lives.

Ah yes, I forgot the water I pour on my lawn goes through a portal straight to a bucket of drinkable water in another part of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Toriori posted:

Ah yes, I forgot the water I pour on my lawn goes through a portal straight to a bucket of drinkable water in another part of the world.

The great irony of it all is that, by adding that water to the water table, there's a better chance of it eventually reaching someone elsewhere in the world than just leaving it in your city's water supply.

Edit:

Poor Suge Knight. Dude gets shot six times and doesn't even get to be the one trending.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Aug 25, 2014

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

The great irony of it all is that, by adding that water to the water table, there's a better chance of it eventually reaching someone elsewhere in the world than just leaving it in your city's water supply.

To further that, if we just said that we couldn't support a cause because there was a shortage of something somewhere, we would effectively limit ourselves to doing nothing. That's a great point you raise, I never thought of it that way. Where I live there are lakes and rivers everywhere, poo poo I could walk fifteen minutes and be at Lake Superior, the largest freshwater lake in the world. I get the idea if someone in Cali or wherever a drought is happening choosing to opt out, but why would I?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Vaguely related: I saw a debate on PBS about ten years ago, and there was a representative from India. The woman from India was furious about flush toilets, specifically in the USA. Holy poo poo, did she hate flush toilets. She seemed to think the flush toilet (again, specifically in the USA as I remember) was an evil invention on par with Nazi gas chambers. I often wonder if the debate was legit, or some sort of weird educational piece.

Poor Suge Knight. Dude gets shot six times and doesn't even get to be the one trending.

Doesn't Suge get his rear end kicked pretty much full time, these days? I seem to remember at least two news stories about him getting knocked right the gently caress out.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

kazil posted:

There needs to be a reason other than black people?

From the DnD picture thread

A girl can hope :suicide: A dumbass, fake reason like "body guards for his family" or something would be better than "he killed a black kid :woop::woop:"

Soviet Commubot posted:

Cross posting from the DnD crazy emails thread, it's probably the most racist thing I've personally seen on Facebook. Not the OP itself but two of the other people, Al Dente and Moe Thegrass.

I, for one, always start my arguments with lines from songs made for kindergarteners to half sing, half clap to at babbys-first-recital.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

This would be fine if it was just labelled a Misogynist Proverb.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It was pronounced Aset, blasphemer! :mad:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Centripetal Horse posted:

Vaguely related: I saw a debate on PBS about ten years ago, and there was a representative from India. The woman from India was furious about flush toilets, specifically in the USA. Holy poo poo, did she hate flush toilets. She seemed to think the flush toilet (again, specifically in the USA as I remember) was an evil invention on par with Nazi gas chambers. I often wonder if the debate was legit, or some sort of weird educational piece.

Toilets seem pretty important in India these days: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-28848399

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Kavak posted:

It was pronounced Aset, blasphemer! :mad:

I am an Egyptologist and I approve of this message.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Zero One posted:

Toilets seem pretty important in India these days: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-28848399

There's also this http://www.poo2loo.com/

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PUGGERNAUT posted:

"I am not white" = "I am 1/16 Native American and I bring it up every time I support the Redskins keeping their name"

The only way a reasonable person should respond to any mention of Native ancestry is to wave their hand and say "I'm not falling for any of your white tricks."

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I don't think she's kidding.

Edit: Oh boy it's a two for one special tonight!

I CONSUMED DIFFERENT MEDIA AS A CHILD THAN CHILDREN DO TODAY, THEREFORE I AM SUPERIOR.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Aug 25, 2014

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

kinmik posted:

Speaking of the ice bucket challenge, one of the girls I never speak to has liked Buzzfeed's page so I'm inundated with posts from them, every single one going, "Shut it down! [Blank] has won! This is the best ALS ice bucket challenge I've ever seen!" So far, it's been Chris Pratt, Charlie Sheen, Britney Spears, Patrick Stewart, and now Benedict Cumberbatch (the last two were on the same day). There will continue to be ALS awareness videos, each of them "better". Stop saying that. gently caress you Buzzfeed.

that said, my friend Joe totally won

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

kannonfodder posted:

I CONSUMED DIFFERENT MEDIA AS A CHILD THAN CHILDREN DO TODAY, THEREFORE I AM SUPERIOR.

Things like the Magnavox Odyssey and the VCRs of the 60s beg to differ that 80s kids were the first to play video games and use VCRs.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

kannonfodder posted:

This is all you need as a response.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kannonfodder posted:

You would think our generation would be all about "yeah I knew how to program a VHS when I was four, pretty sure I can figure anything out :smug:" but instead it just ended up being "what happened to my compact discs :bahgawd:"

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Things like the Magnavox Odyssey and the VCRs of the 60s beg to differ that 80s kids were the first to play video games and use VCRs.

I was born in the 80s, and my mom was playing video games well before I was born.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
The creators of Tennis For Two, back in 1958, made their generation the first to play video games. :colbert:

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

kannonfodder posted:

pretty sure seatbelts were mandatory starting in 68.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think we can all agree that the entire image is bullshit and we successfully outdebated a JPG.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Centripetal Horse posted:

Doesn't the US standard use four liters of potable water every time you pee? I remember being weirded out the first time I encountered one.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Met posted:

I think we can all agree that the entire image is bullshit and we successfully outdebated a JPG.

Take 5, team, we earned it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kajeesus posted:

Doesn't the US standard use four liters of potable water every time you pee? I remember being weirded out the first time I encountered one.

Older toilets can range between 13-30 liters per flush, but they're being phased out (surprise!) because they use so much water. The most efficient variety that is widely available for residential construction is a dual-flush model, which uses an average of four liters per flush.

So yes, even though we don't waste as much as we used to, we're still piggies who love wasting water.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

And Imgur counts as social media, right? Because I'd like to introduce you all to the whiniest and most self-righteous of Christians.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like how, apparently, the Christian sees himself as a strung-out junkie who can't do anything for himself because of sin and lack of grace. This seems like a healthy way to live ones life.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

:stonklol:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

"I'm not racist but..."

Yeah. You* are.

*The fb poster, just in case you think I was actually talking about you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Joker is someone to admire.

Reminds me of this (stolen from the post-rock thread in NMD)

ABC News posted:

The name of the militant Islamic group ISIS is probably one of the most reviled names in the country at the moment. It is also the name of a defunct post-metal rock band with the same name that is getting "off color comments" on its Facebook page.

The rockers may be hard to confuse with Islamic militants, but some have managed it.

"It certainly caught us off guard," Aaron Harris, the band's former drummer, told ABC News.

Even some of their fans have decided to put some distance between themselves and the music.

"Fans have emailed us that they're reluctant to wear our T-shirts now and we've also gotten some off-color comments," Harris said.

ISIS the band originated in Boston and began playing in 1997. It released nine albums with titles like "Panopticon" and "In the Absence of Truth." The group moved to California before officially splitting up in 2010.

Though the band is no longer together, the ex-members are being inundated with posts from individuals who believe they are associated with the Islamic terrorist group, which recently claimed responsibility for beheading American journalist James Foley. The group has also slaughtered Christians, Yazidis and other Muslims who aren't members of the Sunni Islamic sect.

"Just like our fans, we've been watching the news in disbelief. We haven't commented on it because we haven't been an active band since 2010, even though our music does live on. We maintain our Facebook page to keep people up-to-date on our current musical projects," he said.

The name of the band's official Facebook page was changed from "ISIS" to "Isis the band."

“It is an unfortunate situation and of course a few less than enlightened people are not seeing the distinction between an inactive band of musicians and a band of terrorists involved in current world affairs,” a representative from Ipecac, the band’s label, told ABC News. Despite the negative attention, the association has reportedly not affected merchandise sales, the Ipecac representative said.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kannonfodder posted:

Wait a minute, I also grew up in the 90s and I'm pretty sure our cars had seatbelts and airbags. Did this person grow up in like the 1890s?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Christmas Present posted:

that said, my friend Joe totally won

Yeah, this was good.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

dovetaile posted:

Wait a minute, I also grew up in the 90s and I'm pretty sure our cars had seatbelts and airbags. Did this person grow up in like the 1890s?

:corsair: Kids these days with their Great Wars and their automobiles and their flying machines, back in my day we only declared war on natives of third world countries and we liked it, damnit.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Just had this lovely little video show up on my FB feed:

http://m.cnsnews.com/video/national/oreilly-americas-race-problem

This is, of course, in praise of O'Reilly, not mocking him. 5 likes and an 'it makes you think' so far :sigh:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

And Imgur counts as social media, right? Because I'd like to introduce you all to the whiniest and most self-righteous of Christians.

F+U+C+K+Y+O+U
6+21+3+11+25+15+21 = 102%

Edit: the original image creator, not you

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kannonfodder posted:

I know we've all beaten this to death, but the whole "last generation to play on the street" is such nonsense. I live in a boring suburb and there are roving packs of a dozen children riding bikes up and down the street and playing football/basketball from when school gets out to when the street lights go on.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

quote:

You donate money and waste clean water to support ALS.

Aww, poor baby.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Aww, poor baby.

Anytime someone complains about :airquote:wasting water:airquote: doing the ALS challenge tell them to think of it as a shower. A less water-intensive shower even.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

RareAcumen posted:

Anytime someone complains about :airquote:wasting water:airquote: doing the ALS challenge tell them to think of it as a shower. A less water-intensive shower even.

If you wanted to bitch at them, tell them they're wasting way too much water flushing their toilet and should just poop outside.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
There's no drought here. gently caress em.

Flush after every wipe. Then use a bidet. Then flush one more time to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

pretty sure seatbelts were mandatory starting in 68.

dovetaile posted:

Cars built before the legal requirement in 1963 are exempt from having seat belts, so it's much more likely during the 80s that someone would be driving around in a model built in those years.

• Locked thread