Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

If SA is also a bad guy in all this, who gets to be gaming Hitler? We gotta make sure our team is ready for this stuff.

:viggo: Everyone is Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

This all would have turned out for the better if the boyfriend had just posted his screed on FYAD

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

same

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I just hope Phil Fish's suicide note reads like 5 pages of his tweets back to back with no order or reasoning, ending with "kill yourselfs, dickhole parasites"

Whether or not he succeeds is sort of inconsequential.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shadoer posted:

Yeah I have to agree. He might have indirectly done some good by showing the corruption in gaming journalism, but his motivations were pure poo poo.

His stated purpose was to warn people who might get involved with Zoe about what kind of person she was and what she was capable of. His motivations may be poo poo but who cares, it's pretty clear from all conceivable angles that Zoe is human garbage and should be avoided professionally and personally at all costs. Those 19k twitter followers and all the (not equally terrible journo) people suckered into donating to her patreon or her rebel jam kinda deserve the truth and god knows she wasn't ever gonna tell it.

Shadoer posted:

You know, I kinda wonder this myself. Kotaku and Rock Paper Shotgun have an invested interest in trying to maintain their reputations, and a bunch of other journalists that have written on it can be hand waved away as being "lazy". However you'd think one of the other major game journalists sites would take the opportunity to knee cap their competition. Like the story and opportunity to do it is right there and none of the big players are taking it at all.

Not thinking they are all part of some SWJ conspiracy, but I'd wager there's something else Zoe or one of the jurno's has done that has gotten the other big gaming news sites by the balls that isn't public yet.

I am thunderstruck that Erik Kain of Forbes hasn't done something yet. That guy got shat on so hard and so unfairly by gaming journos when Ben Kuchera tried to get them to mob him and now he has the absolute perfect opportunity to torch them all and he's been close to totally silent besides mentioning it passingly on twitter to say if he was gonna comment, it'd have to be very carefully researched first.

Meanwhile, Paul Tassi compared people against Zoe and the journos to Obama birthers.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Anyway, Polygon.com writer Ben Kuchera has been exposed as having violated the site's ethics policy by writing a story on Zoe Quinn back in March, even though he has sponsored her on Patreon since January. Polygon's ethics policy explicitly states that their writers are obligated to declare any financial investment in the story they're covering (he didn't), and that they do not pay their sources (he did, technically).

Relevant screenshots.

He can probably rule-lawyer out of it but it's still funny.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

literally the only places i've ever seen people claiming that rape occurred, or that that dumb definition of it matters at all, are sa and reddit.

making light of rape because someone else has a bad definition of it is pretty gross, and there are countless other ways of criticizing what zoe said or did without making yourself look like a big idiot. theres even a word for people who do poo poo that directly contradicts with poo poo they said they believed; it isn't "rapist" though.

*nods respectfully towards you*

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

Polygon's ethics policy

Is that A thing that Exists?? :cripes:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cthulhoo posted:

Is that A thing that Exists?? :cripes:

haha yeah what's with this company having ethics policies???

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Anyway, Polygon.com writer Ben Kuchera has been exposed as having violated the site's ethics policy by writing a story on Zoe Quinn back in March, even though he has sponsored her on Patreon since January. Polygon's ethics policy explicitly states that their writers are obligated to declare any financial investment in the story they're covering (he didn't), and that they do not pay their sources (he did, technically).

Relevant screenshots.

I'd love to let him know, but he blocked me. Oh well. :sigh:

But I mean yeah, he can rules-lawyer his way out of it (it's not an investment, because he's not expecting any financial return!), but I mean, this is exactly what the problem is, it's a big incestuous fuckfest and none of them think there's any kind of problem or conflict of industry here. I'm almost afraid to wonder what kind of poo poo they'd actually try to hide.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I wonder if they mentioned 250k they got from Microsoft on that policy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Junkfist posted:

Zoe Quinn is, literally, by her own definition, a habitual unrepentant rapist.

That is not me calling Zoe Quinn a rapist.

Or saying that Zoe Quinn is a literal rapist.

That is Zoe Quinn being a rapist according to Zoe Quinn's crazy-person standard of rape.

And unlike rape I actually do think that's funny.

oh poo poo did you hear the one about the nobody that theoretically under her own definition raped someone?

oh man stop me if you've heard it.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Phil Fish correctly pointed out that the quote unquote gaming community is filled to the brim with humanity's greatest failures

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
has phil fish done anything since his fake hack thing? does he know people are talking about someone other than him??

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Junkfist posted:

Zoe Quinn is, literally, by her own definition, a habitual unrepentant rapist.

That is not me calling Zoe Quinn a rapist.

Or saying that Zoe Quinn is a literal rapist.

That is Zoe Quinn being a rapist according to Zoe Quinn's crazy-person standard of rape.

And unlike rape I actually do think that's funny.

:colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This also highlights how loving stupid it was to try and delete everything and DMCA that first video. If they don't do that or if they just trot out some "we did this in a moment of weakness and we're so, so, so sorry, please let us try to earn your trust again :(" crocodile tears bullshit, then this probably peters out of its own momentum like every other stupid conflict in gaming. But now people are digging and finding out that Kuchera violated Polygon's ethics policy (big shock :lol:) and Patricia Hernandez is living with and in a relationship with a developer she's written about tons of times.

I guess it's no surprised that a bunch of dipshit sadbrain indie developers and pseudo-journalists with no formal training don't have anything resembling a PR department, but still. Pretty dumb.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Haters Objector posted:

Phil Fish correctly pointed out that the quote unquote gaming community is filled to the brim with humanity's greatest failures

yeah but he probably doesn't consider himself a part of it which is lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fish's segments in indie game the movie make him look real bad. like only stops blaming other people for every problem in his life long enough to talk about suicide bad.

he's got a ten minute monologue about how former business partners are trying to keep him from making millions of dollars for them as he stands in front of his pax kiosk where his game that he's worked on for 4 years is hitting fatal errors trying to display intro text bubbles.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

VJeff posted:

But now people are digging and finding out that Kuchera violated Polygon's ethics policy (big shock :lol:) and Patricia Hernandez is living with and in a relationship with a developer she's written about tons of times.

It'd be nice if I saw less Hernandez articles due to this. Can they go for three and put a stop to the deluge of Brian Crecente's glorious nippon stories? I mean, let's tackle some badness here.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So is there truly no mainstream gaming website that hasn't been touched by the Quinnspiracy?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So is there truly no mainstream gaming website that hasn't been touched by the Quinnspiracy?

http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/39.html

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Well, do Youtube and Twitch count as mainstream gaming websites, 'cause they're certainly not taking it lying down. :v:

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Relevant screenshots.

This is essentially the same breach of confidence any critic reviewing a game they bought with their own money is guilty of if they do not fully disclose it. And polygon never payed any money for an interview. The comedy well is very dry.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

cthulhoo posted:

I wonder if they mentioned 250k they got from Microsoft on that policy

It was 750k for a video series that glamorised the journalists that worked on the site. Since sucking off game journalists was the primary goal of the commission and there was no written stipulations for favourable coverage, it was deemed ethical :colbert:

Armed revolution indeed :stare:

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 25, 2014

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Tokamak posted:

It was 750k for a video series that glamorised the journalists that worked on the site. Since sucking off game journalists was the primary goal of the commission and there was no written stipulations for favourable coverage, it was deemed ethical :colbert:

Oh right, 750k. I'm sure they didn't blow MS's cock later on over xbone.

polytards posted:

The Xbox One is an impressive marriage of software and hardware that raises the bar in terms of what we expect from a living-room machine. Looking forward more than it looks back, the Xbox One feels like it's from the future.

nvm

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Nah, that's the minimum amount of praise that they are obligated to provide to all game companies. Now if they wrote about how the Xbox was going to cure your aids and get you a girlfriend, then I'd be crying foul.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Still, the tone is quite different. :spergin:

polygon ps4 review posted:

The PS4 hints at plenty of other possibilities. Local network play via the PS Vita has an enormous amount of potential. The PlayStation App and even the Playstation Camera may provide opportunities for developers to broaden the appeal of the PlayStation 4 beyond the hardcore audience it currently seems so intent on courting. Unlike the PlayStation 3, Sony's latest effort was built to evolve.

But the PlayStation 4's focus on gaming — and only gaming — is undermined by a distinct lack of compelling software. That failing is sure to improve — better games and more of them will appear on the PlayStation 4 — but right now, this is a game console without a game to recommend it. Early adopters of the PS4 this fall are buying potential energy. We're just waiting for a place to spend it.

polygon xbone review posted:

But in many ways, the Xbox One's bold direction for the future is well in place. The integration of voice controls and its media strategy are a boon to everyone, and the ability to run apps while playing games is something we now want on every gaming console we have. That it has a handful of strong, exclusive games at launch only supports its legitimacy as a gaming console and not just an entertainment hub.

The Xbox One is an impressive marriage of software and hardware that raises the bar in terms of what we expect from a living-room machine. Looking forward more than it looks back, the Xbox One feels like it's from the future.

e: also imo gushing at tv features of all things and praising xbone exclusives is :cripes:.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Didn't Kuchera literally say that Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders being a timed exclusive on Xbox One was a great thing?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

VJeff posted:

Didn't Kuchera literally say that Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders being a timed exclusive on Xbox One was a great thing?

After visiting the Ouya offices, Kuchera went from being one its biggest sceptics to one of its biggest supporters.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

His articles on the subject are quite something

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/tag/ouya/

quote:

Nintendo isn’t losing to the OUYA’s high-quality emulation of classic games, it’s losing to itself

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

VJeff posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/13/5998637/tomb-raider-exclusivity

He pretty much tries to justify it every way he can.

legion989
Jan 18, 2013
Lets not forget that Mary cuckolded Joseph with God. To top it off, she let God knock her up and made Joseph raise the kid. Cucking had a huge influence on human history. Makes you think.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

legion989 posted:

Lets not forget that Mary cuckolded Joseph with God. To top it off, she let God knock her up and made Joseph raise the kid. Cucking had a huge influence on human history. Makes you think.

let's not forget mary was probably around 13 at the time and god is a sick pervert

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
what's this thread about

i dont want to read 124142141 billion pages about w/e gay poo poo this is

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Titty Warlord posted:

what's this thread about

Social Justice

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
oh cool its about the epic as gently caress "cuck" meme epic win

gas.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Titty Warlord posted:

same.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
There should be a Ben Kuchera thread though because it would be worth reading all the wrong that pours out of that guys mouth. I'd read that. This thread is boring rear end poo poo that nobody should care about because everyone involved is stupid.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

but Ben Kuchera is one of those people :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Supernorn posted:

There should be a Ben Kuchera thread though because it would be worth reading all the wrong that pours out of that guys mouth. I'd read that. This thread is boring rear end poo poo that nobody should care about because everyone involved is stupid.

this thread has become the video game degenerate general, sorry you can't post about ben in a thread mocking your waifu zoe but we don't need a new thread.

• Locked thread